• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kobe Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Y'know, I am a pilot and love to fly, but you can't willingly get me on a helicopter. Sympathy to family, friends, fans, and loved ones. May those lost R.I.P.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Very sad.
As SNA27 implies, many people, including families, die needlessly in crashes of aircraft and earth-bound craft everyday as result of mechanical failure, their own negligence or.the negligence of others. This tragedy is important becuz of who was involved, but there are countless others who leave behind surviving loved-ones for whom it is just as real. Let's try to keep this in perspective.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant made climbing turn before rapid dive.

Richard

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Please keep in mind that ~151,600 people died today. I am willing to bet hundreds or even thousands were missed more and more worthy of lamentation. We just didn't know about them. A sobering thought.

View attachment 16766
In recent years, Kobe championed women’s basketball, girl youth basketball groups, and non-rap artistic pursuits for the African-American community - all under recognized and under supported communities. He died going to his camp for mostly girl youth basketball groups. Two weeks ago, he pushed the idea that three great female basketball players could play in the NBA

I respectfully disagree. Of 151.6k people, probably only dozens more worthy of lamentation.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Details of Kobe's helicopter crash emerge.

Richard

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Can we please refrain from dragging this thread down? Nine people died, including kids. It is a horrible, unspeakable tragedy! One of those people was known worldwide. Of course, he is going to be the main focus of news reports and social media posts. Because everybody knew him or knew of him. That doesn’t mean the other 8 will not be missed or mourned by those who knew them. It just means one was more famous. All deserve respect and all those who are mourning them deserve respect. It isn’t a competition. I’m 65 years old now but I still remember my mother and grandmother teaching me not to speak ill of the dead. I understand if you didn’t like Kobe as a basketball player, or even as the person you perceived him to be. But, please, hold your thoughts for a few days and let those who are mourning him to do so in peace. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kobe Bryant's helicopter pilot was given a. 'special clearance to fly at or below 2,500 feet in dangerous
weather conditions' relying only on his eyesigllt: rather than instrument:s to fly before crashing.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In recent years, Kobe championed women’s basketball, girl youth basketball groups, and non-rap artistic pursuits for the African-American community - all under recognized and under supported communities. He died going to his camp for mostly girl youth basketball groups. Two weeks ago, he pushed the idea that three great female basketball players could play in the NBA

I respectfully disagree. Of 151.6k people, probably only dozens more worthy of lamentation.

I agree that Kobe Bryant leaves a great legacy on and off the court. I am sorry to hear that folks are debating something that was settled out of court and resulted in Kobe apologizing. I am female, and in my day when I was pretty, I had a few "Me Too" moments (not anything I considered physical assault, mind you... but still, it was demoralizing). I was young and quit my good-paying job to soon get another. (It was the movie industry, and there was a culture called the "casting couch"...and I never laid there.)

I don't judge Kobe's accuser, or any current or former "MeToo" activists; frankly, it's a "free country", and folks are free to speak their minds (more or less, depending on rules and regs of online forums...but I digress.) At risk of getting deleted or helping this thread/topic to go downhill, which is not my intent...I see all sides on this issue. I wasn't in that hotel room years ago. I am tall and dated basketball players and love the game (and baseball too). I loved watching Kobe Bryant play.

I do not think folks should disrespect this man's legacy when he's not even dead 24 hours (well, maybe it is a full day now). It just makes me very sad, in these divisive times, that we cannot find just a bit of unity in saluting the legacy of a great sports figure who inspired so many kids...and adults. I also mourn his daughter's untimely death along with their friends and colleagues on that helicopter. As Alicia Keys said last night on the Grammys, "here we are gathered in the house that Kobe built". She was referring to the Staples Center! Think about that, everyone, the improvements that Kobe Bryant brought to the Lakers and L.A. and the bigger picture. But if you don't like Alicia Keys, maybe you might disagree even on that. (Read her bio, she's an inspiring celebrity who gives lots of $ to charities, has her own charity, etc...she GIVES BACK and we all should, if we have fame, $ or privilege). I will change the subject to the following, my original reason for my posting here again...until I saw the hotel incident being debated (and yes, this hotel incident "debate" is also being hashed out on "social" and mainstream media)...anyway, here's what may have led to the crash in L.A.:

HELICOPTER DEATHS...yet again! Carol C wonders...Where have I heard that before? Maybe I should have posted this breaking news in the Hawaii helicopter crash thread somewhere on TUG. NYT has this headline in breaking news:

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Y'know, I am a pilot and love to fly, but you can't willingly get me on a helicopter. Sympathy to family, friends, fans, and loved ones. May those lost R.I.P.

I would never go on one. Was always afraid of them.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I agree that Kobe Bryant leaves a great legacy on and off the court. I am sorry to hear that folks are debating something that was settled out of court and resulted in Kobe apologizing. I am female and in my day when I was pretty, I had a few "Me Too" moments (not rape thankfully, but still, it was demoralizing). I was young and quit my good-paying job to soon get another. I don't judge Kobe's accuser, or any current or former "MeToo" activists; frankly, it's a free country and folks are free to speak their minds (more or less, depending on rules and regs of online forums...but I digress.) At risk of getting deleted or whatever...I see all sides on this issue, and btw I am tall and dated basketball players and love the game (and baseball). I do not think folks should disrespect this man's legacy when he's not even dead 24 hours (well, maybe it is a full day now). It just makes me very sad, in these divisive times, that we cannot find just a bit of unity in saluting the legacy of a great sports figure who inspired so many kids...and adults. I also mourn his daughter's untimely death along with their friends and colleagues on that helicopter. As Alicia Keys said last night on the Grammys, "here we are gathered in the house that Kobe built". Think about that, everyone, but if you don't like Alicia Keys maybe you might disagree even on that. (Read her bio, she's an inspiring celebrity who gives lots of $ to charities, has her own charity, etc...she GIVES BACK and we all should, if we have fame, $ or privilege). I will change subject to the following, my reason for this posting until I saw the "hotel incident" being debated (and yes this is also being done on mainstream media)...anyway, here's what may have led to the crash in L.A.:

HELICOPTER DEATHS...yet again! Carol C wonders...Where have I heard that before? Maybe I should have posted this breaking news in the Hawaii helicopter crash thread somewhere on TUG. NYT has this headline in breaking news:

Sorry that you had to go through sexual harassment.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's no doubt that the pilot was more than qualified to fly the Sikorsky S76B and also fly in the conditions present at the time. This may however, tragically turn out to be an error
in judgment. Many are in no position to question his decision, but there are some who have raised valid points.

"Considering even the LAPD's own fleet had been grounded, questions remain as to who made the decision to fly in such dangerous weather conditions. Zobayan had planned
to land at Burbank Airport. However, he circled mid-air for over 15 minutes waiting for clearance to begin the descent."

"After instructions from the controller, the helicopter climbed to 2,000 ft and then hit the mountain at 1,700 ft. Speaking to the New York Post, sources said Zobayan was in
charge of the helicopter when it hit the ground. Several observers pointed out the crash was most likely a result of him being disoriented rather than mechanical failure."

“When you get in the soup, your senses don’t work," said Paul Cline, assistant professor of aviation at New York University."

"The aircraft subsequently smashed into a rugged hillside with an impact that scattered debris for almost a mile and killed everyone on board. Air traffic controllers were trying to
guide the helicopter to safety, per the audio exchange, but lost contact just moments before it crashed.

One issue that may be debated is that there were 9 fatalities, including the pilot. The specifications for this Sikorsky are as follows:

Sikorsky S76B
Occupancy
Crew: 2
Passengers: 6

Would one additional person make any difference? I don't have a clue. To allow one additional passenger would be the pilot's decision I assume.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Please keep in mind that ~151,600 people died today. I am willing to bet hundreds or even thousands were missed more and more worthy of lamentation. We just didn't know about them. A sobering thought.

View attachment 16766
But only one Kobe passed away.

Bill

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I went in to edit because I wanted to explain a bit more fully where I am coming from. My coffee hadn't kicked in quite yet...thanks for reading.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it does seem like we hear more reports about helicopter and small aircraft fatal crashes than we do about larger commercial airliners.

Good grief...just imagine what it will be like when Amazon starts employing drones to fly all over delivering packages! (Trying to insert just a bit of humor into a sad topic...this will be my last posting: count every day as a blessing, folks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.