• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it just me or do you notice some Tuggers getting more cranky?

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always been impressed with the helpfulness and cordiality of Tuggers. But I am a bit appalled lately at the lack of decorum on Tug. I've been around here for a few years and there are some who have always been cranky or even spiteful, but lately there are more than the usual posts that are down-right mean. I wish it would stop. Remember what your mother said, if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.

Maybe it's winter, the economy, an election year, lack of sleep, lack of sex, etc.

Leaving now before someone throws something at me! :D

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always been impressed with the helpfulness and cordiality of Tuggers. But I am a bit appalled lately at the lack of decorum on Tug. I've been around here for a few years and there are some who have always been cranky or even spiteful, but lately there are more than the usual posts that are down-right mean. I wish it would stop. Remember what your mother said, if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.

Maybe it's winter, the economy, an election year, lack of sleep, lack of sex, etc.

Hmmm....I must have missed those. On the Lounge?

I've certainly noticed that from certain people and it's almost a no-brainer that it's going to happen in some threads (destined for locks), but I haven't seen those recently. :ponder: :ponder:

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are certainly some with an agenda. Whether it's pro Apple, anti MS, Pro Vida, anti Westgate, pro dog, anti cat, pro Wyndham, anti Marriott, big vs small, light meat vs dark, we all have opinions. It's just that mine are better than yours. :)

Thank goodness the mods have set certain boundaries and stick to them- even though some of us push 'em a little. This election year, I'd LOVE to expound a little or at least point out the faux pas of the faux passers, but I know that it's for the best to keep silent. Now- about that 'lack of sex, etc?'.....

Jim

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Remember what your mother said, if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.

But it wasn't your mama that said that.
It was Thumper in "Bambi" (1942), relating what his father told him.

Mrs. Rabbit: What did your father tell you this morning?
Thumper: [clears throat] If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all.
-- From IMDb, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034492/quotes

Count me in as a cranky old geezer who has lost the patience to suffer fools gladly.

Last edited:

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've noticed a few threads where I've wondered why someone bothered to post something unhelpful and just mean. I'm cranky myself these days or I wouldn't have posted in this thread. :ignore:

Deb

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
We started out as just "older", but now we're cranky old geezers.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are certainly some with an agenda. Whether it's pro Apple, anti MS, Pro Vida, anti Westgate, pro dog, anti cat, pro Wyndham, anti Marriott, big vs small, light meat vs dark, we all have opinions. It's just that mine are better than yours. :)

Thank goodness the mods have set certain boundaries and stick to them- even though some of us push 'em a little. This election year, I'd LOVE to expound a little or at least point out the faux pas of the faux passers, but I know that it's for the best to keep silent. Now- about that 'lack of sex, etc?'.....

Jim

Agenda? Really? I hadn't noticed that.......... :hysterical: :hysterical:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
cranky??...who me?

The threads I like the most are the ones where someone has a point of view and isnt afraid to defend it. And I learn a whole lot more from a negative presentation than I do from one that only talks about the positive

The emphasis on being nice is what I like least on TUG. Not that Im advocating mean and nasty, but I do prefer honest and direct.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I like the "be nice" rules on TUG and abide them. I am shocked at some who don't even belong to TUG yet get by with nasty remarks, directed at specific TUG members.

I am getting a little cranky at the cranky people on one particular thread. I am done with it.

It would actually be easy to stop TUG completely for me at this point. PA- did it, and he said it was very freeing. Hatrack, too.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What I've noticed lately is a lot of posters who really have nothing to say, and are only here to stir the pot....

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm more like Ron. I'd rather folks were honest than nice. I was raised to call a spade a spade and that honesty trumps all.

In other words, don't ask me if those jeans make your a__ look big. :D

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
When You Call Me That, Smile.

I'd rather folks were honest than nice. I was raised to call a spade a spade and that honesty trumps all.
It is possible to tell it the way it is & call a spade a spade, etc., without being blunt or brusque or insulting or off-putting.

It is possible to tell people to go to hell in such a nice way that they look forward to the trip.

It's called diplomacy.

You could look it up.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is possible to tell it the way it is & call a spade a spade, etc., without being blunt or brusque or insulting or off-putting.

It is possible to tell people to go to hell in such a nice way that they look forward to the trip.

It's called diplomacy.

You could look it up.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Yep. And it's also possible that some don't practice what they preach.

Life's funny that way, isn't it? :)

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

Totally agree with this. There have been some pretty appalling posts lately. As some others have mentioned, I also won't visit TUG if it becomes your typical rude Internet BBS. Life is too short to voluntarily subject yourself to that kind of BS. Hopefully it won't come to that.

H

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Resemble That Remark.

And it's also possible that some don't practice what they preach.
smiley.png

-- hotlinked --

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't really noticed it, but I don't read every thread. It's usually pretty obvious which threads are going to be contentious and which ones are worth reading and participating in. I find people here VERY helpful and friendly.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Everything seems fine to me unless you were in the Marriott forum last week.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
And I thought I was doing well to hide my crankiness.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
An old Cherokee tells his grandson,"My son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego. The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness, emphathy and truth."

The boy thought about it for a minute and asked, " Grandfather, which wolf wins ? "

The old man quietly replied, " Which ever one you feed". ;)

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Hey Allen, your smile made me smile.:D

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The general state of the overall economy the past few years and the even worse state of virtually everything timeshare related has changed the tenor of many timeshare discussions. Not that long ago it was about a happy picture of reasonable cost vacations everyone wanted. Now it tends more toward "I can't afford it" and "How do I get rid of it" or "Why do fees keep going up?" - hardly upbeat topics.

If there is a more negative tone it is an unfortunate reflection of the sad state far too many have found themselves in. It may be self inflicted or forced on them but either way the luxuries like timeshares - and discussions about them - tend to take a negative turn.

Want to bet if things ever do turn around in the timeshare world the tone would become far more upbeat again?

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I agree with the OP, there have been some uncalled for, pretty harsh, comments. And not helpful either. And I don't think from anyone that has posted on this thread (IMO).

Information and opinions posted on TUG have been invaluable for me and posters certainly don't have to agree. I appreciate the differences in opinion and different angles and spins people put on things. There are at least 3 sides to every story. It's probably been the ones in the lounge that are more susceptible to some rude (and uncalled for) comments.

I think my mother said it first, and Bambi copied. (If you can't say anything nice, don't say anythign at all). It's a good rule to live by. In the high-tech, internet world, it is easy to come across harsh. I try not to, but I also keep that in mind when reading a comment from someone and give them the benefit of the doubt (they didn't REALLY mean to come across that harsh...). And I try to have thick skin... sometimes you need it.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spend most of my TUG time in the Lounge or the Marriott boards and I've seen surprising comments on both recently. I waited awhile to post this till things settled down but it is still bothering me. It felt like friends weren't being friendly and I wasn't even in the conversation, yet it hurt me to read it so I stopped, but it still bothered me.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The general state of the overall economy the past few years and the even worse state of virtually everything timeshare related has changed the tenor of many timeshare discussions. .....If there is a more negative tone it is an unfortunate reflection of the sad state far too many have found themselves in.....

Unhappy situations and the economy .... I see it more and more. As OP on the Wyndham Corporate renting out my Fixed Deeded week and the attic insulation thieves, I then yesterday got the phone call from my 87 yo aunt who had stuff in her yard STOLEN AGAIN - this time a 1961 Plymonth car and other scrap metal (last month it was the downsprouts, scaffolding, etc). Her house is 3/4 of a mile from mine. She is just crushed. Her house sits on 12 acres. It is alarmed with SAT phone hook up; now I will have to gate the property. Her A-hole (and losing it mentally) BF and his 57 yo son (who is broke) will now start another campaign on my aunt - sell that house or give it to Linda. Their brow beating is physically so much WORST on my aunt than the thefts.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....I must have missed those. On the Lounge?

I've certainly noticed that from certain people and it's almost a no-brainer that it's going to happen in some threads (destined for locks), but I haven't seen those recently. :ponder: :ponder:

I must have missed them also. The moderators do a great job keeping TUG a helpful and informative site.

Just because someone disagrees with someone else doesn't mean they're cranky. Some have a real hard time accepting that disagreement when it happens to one of their posts. And some have a real hard time reading posts that rock their mindset.