• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it just me or do you notice some Tuggers getting more cranky?

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must have missed them also. The moderators do a great job keeping TUG a helpful and informative site.

Just because someone disagrees with someone else doesn't mean they're cranky. Some have a real hard time accepting that disagreement when it happens to one of their posts. And some have a real hard time reading posts that rock their mindset.

I think the OP is referring to a thread or 2 on the Marriott board from last week.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also haven't noticed anything out of the norm, but I hope people don't get nasty just because they are hiding behind a computer screen. Would they speak to someone in person the same way?
I think most people would be polite face to face in presenting a different point of view, and that should be true here as well.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Resemble That Remark.

I think most people would be polite face to face in presenting a different point of view, and that should be true here as well.
You typed a mouthful.

It is always a good recommendation to keep one's words soft & tender, because one never knows when one will have to eat them.

Plus, as it says in the Bible, A Soft Answer Turneth Away Wrath.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

geekette

Reaction score
I believe that a person can be honest, direct AND nice. I try to be that. Until someone takes a potshot at me. Then my sarcastic side shows up.

Was it Roadhouse where Patrick Swayze told his bouncers to be nice until it was time to not be nice anymore??

I do agree the state of the economy has many more stressed. And just looking at thread titles in the lounge tells you that some people are dealing with some very serious Life Issues.

I like to give wide latitude. I don't know what all someone is dealing with in their non-virtual lives.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately in life there will always be those negative voices that you just can't pay attention to.

I have noticed an increase in negativity on TUG and I'm not talking about the Marriott topics that I'm personally a lightening rod for.

I've just noticed over the last year or so a new breed of TUGGERS that are less respectful than the veteran TUGGER. Sure there are some old-time TUGGERS that I can think of that are negative voices but to me its the new breed that like stir up the pot for no reason and are also disrespectful of others opinions and feelings.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Unfortunately in life there will always be those negative voices that you just can't pay attention to.

I have noticed an increase in negativity on TUG and I'm not talking about the Marriott topics that I'm personally a lightening rod for.

I've just noticed over the last year or so a new breed of TUGGERS that are less respectful than the veteran TUGGER. Sure there are some old-time TUGGERS that I can think of that are negative voices but to me its the new breed that like stir up the pot for no reason and are also disrespectful of others opinions and feelings.

I agree with Joe in his observations. I also feel there seems to be more people who don't want to answer your question, but instead talk you out of whatever you're planning to do in order to do it a better (their?) way.

Sometimes I just want MY question answered without a lot of nonsense or having to justify things.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that a person can be honest, direct AND nice. I try to be that. Until someone takes a potshot at me. Then my sarcastic side shows up.

Well said.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just want TUG to be exactly what I want TUG to be. Why can't I be in charge around here?

Personally, I like TUG just the way it is... good, bad, and the ugly. I appreciate both old and new.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers

I agree with you. I use to come to TUG all the time to get great information, etc... But I stopped lately. Sometimes I'm lucky if I login weekly. I've been turned off with the tone. I still think there is a lot of great information I just don't partake in the discussions as much any more. The feeling I get from most people is that I'm a loser for owning timeshares. Personally, I'm not. But that's my opinion. I love my vacations.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
The feeling I get from most people is that I'm a loser for owning timeshares. Personally, I'm not. But that's my opinion. I love my vacations.
I once heard a very good lecture about how we "feel" and respond to the actions of others. The speaker said that no one can make us "feel" one way or another--our feelings are under our own control. He illustrated his point with a story about an older Asian man working in a store. A robber approached him at gunpoint and demanded his money. One might think the man would "feel" scared, threatened, and unable to act. But this particular man was highly trained in martial arts. He relished the opportunity to put his training to good use and was able to disarm the robber and seriously injure him. He didn't let the robber determine how he was going to "feel."

So, on TUG or anywhere else, why let opinions that are different from your own determine how you are going to feel or respond? Agree to disagree without being disagreeable yourself. Opinions are like noses--everybody has one. Keep your own clean and nobody gets hurt around here.:)

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The general state of the overall economy the past few years and the even worse state of virtually everything timeshare related has changed the tenor of many timeshare discussions. Not that long ago it was about a happy picture of reasonable cost vacations everyone wanted. Now it tends more toward "I can't afford it" and "How do I get rid of it" or "Why do fees keep going up?" - hardly upbeat topics.

If there is a more negative tone it is an unfortunate reflection of the sad state far too many have found themselves in. It may be self inflicted or forced on them but either way the luxuries like timeshares - and discussions about them - tend to take a negative turn.

Want to bet if things ever do turn around in the timeshare world the tone would become far more upbeat again?

I agree with John. ;)

geekette

Reaction score
...The feeling I get from most people is that I'm a loser for owning timeshares. Personally, I'm not. But that's my opinion. I love my vacations.

If you mean on Tug, then that is alarming. If you mean non-Tug people, then, well, they jsut don't get it!

We are all like Charlie Sheen: WINNING!!!

[a joke, ok, I'm reasonably certain that no one here is quite like CS, at least, I hope not! but, we are of course all winners (smarm very much intended)]

there are a few non-owners here but most are of the "been there, done that, sold them" ilk or the "I want to buy" crowd that landed them here.

If someone on tug is making you feel like a loser for owning timeshares, that's a problem.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I don't think anyone who was smart enough to find and learn from TUG is a loser. The brightest and smartest timeshare owners are here.

+1 to Michael!

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am ok with direct and honest, done respectfully.
I agree that TUG in more recent years is a much more contentious board and some discussions turn unnecessarily personal and hostile.

My biggest gripe are the Repetitive-dead-horse-beating agendas and opinions that are infiltrated needlessly into conversations and take the whole thread off track. It's exasperating and makes reading TUG exhausting at times.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that the Lounge, by and large, is pretty open and respectful. Though after the same question has been asked for the hundredth time without someone consulting a sticky can elicit some short tempered responses. Some of the Group forums (Marriott, Wyndham, and the Mexico forum) can get a little testy from time to time.

There are a few folks- we know who they are- who have needed to be reigned in a little, and there are an even smaller number who just want to stir up the (manure).

That's why there is a kill (ignore) list. If a poster annoys you enough, just zap 'em with the kill list (it's in the User CP), and unless they are quoted, you don't see them.

Jim

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How to put someone on ignore:

1) Click on their blue user name
2) From the drop down menu select "View Public Profile"
3) On the next page, in the blue bar, click on "Add username to your ignore list"
4) Click "Save List"

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I am ok with direct and honest, done respectfully.
I agree that TUG in more recent years is a much more contentious board and some discussions turn unnecessarily personal and hostile.

My biggest gripe are the Repetitive-dead-horse-beating agendas and opinions that are infiltrated needlessly into conversations and take the whole thread off track. It's exasperating and makes reading TUG exhausting at times.

I agree with this. It gets tiring seeing the same canned responses. We get it - that they don't like a particular management company or whatever. That's absolutely fine. Why some feel that it needs to be repeated over and over again is beyond me. I have no trouble ignoring them, but they do take threads off topic with regularity.

Even on it's worst days, this board is tame compared to a lot of others out there.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
How to put someone on ignore:

1) Click on their blue user name
2) From the drop down menu select "View Public Profile"
3) On the next page, in the blue bar, click on "Add username to your ignore list"
4) Click "Save List"
But it does not allow you to put a user who happens to be an administrator on your ignore list. :eek: There are a couple of users on a certain "other" forum that I would love to put on that list... :crash:

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I agree with this. It gets tiring seeing the same canned responses. We get it - that they don't like a particular management company or whatever. That's absolutely fine. Why some feel that it needs to be repeated over and over again is beyond me. I have no trouble ignoring them, but they do take threads off topic with regularity.
I certainly understand your frustration. And if someone calls them out on those posts (even if done nicely), they usually get trounced upon.

IMO, some opinions outside of the mainstream are not very well received here. Take, for example, these two "mainstream" ideas:
  • Always buy resale
  • PCCs never provide a valid service to their customers
If anyone challenges those statements, they are beaten down by the masses and often their intelligence or maturity is called into question. It is rare that someone posts something to the tune of "I understand your opinion, but I disagree with you". I just chalk that up to the anonymity the internet affords a poster -- in person, I'm sure the conversation would be much more pleasant and respectful.

However, compared to the majority of other forums I have participated in, the people here are much more respectful.

Cheers! Kurt

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
moderators do their best, however with a playground full of 50,000+ adults...you are always going to have a few that require a smack to the head more often than not.

its (moderation) certainly a thankless job...and the opinions of those who take on the role always changes once they have walked in the shoes =)

Id also point out that the vast majority of items that cause "contention" are long deleted or moderated before most of you even read it....this place would simply drive the average timeshare owner away if left uncensored.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Repetition Is The Mother Of Learning.

Why some feel that it needs to be repeated over and over again is beyond me.
Yeh.

You've heard it over & over.

I've heard it over & over.

But it's all fresh & new to the newbies clicking in for the 1st time, & those are the ones who really need to hear it.

Otherwise, without exposure to The Wisdom Of TUG, they're apt to go out & lay out big bux for some full-freight timeshare & throw money down a rathole via PCC hornswoggles & up-front fee bamboozles, & I don't know what-all.

In short, much of The Wisdom Of TUG bears repeating.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
moderators do their best, however with a playground full of 50,000+ adults...you are always going to have a few that require a smack to the head more often than not.

its (moderation) certainly a thankless job...and the opinions of those who take on the role always changes once they have walked in the shoes =)

Id also point out that the vast majority of items that cause "contention" are long deleted or moderated before most of you even read it....this place would simply drive the average timeshare owner away if left uncensored.
The moderators here do more than just their best. They do an AWESOME job. Their interactions with those need a smack to the head are done out of public sight (as it should be) and very few probably even realize it's happening, but the signs are there. Someone posts something that's obviously inflamatory, off topic, and against the rules, and it quietly disappears. If someone is repeatedly disruptive, you notice them "not active" for a period of time. Only if you happen to see it before the moderators get to it and then go back and look later do you have an inkling that anything happened.

Plus, the moderators are a great example to us. Although attacked and/or disrespected far more often than normal members, they always respond with grace and respect and they have a "moderating" effect, encouraging people to disagree respectfully.

I've been on very few forums that are as civil as this one. I attribute a lot of that to the average age of the members. Most of the members here grew up in an age where there was much more respect for others.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
. . .

I didn't realize that - the mods are surely ever-vigilant! Do you also use any kind of filtering? Or would that be a secret....

The moderators here do more than just their best. They do an AWESOME job. . . .

I've been on very few forums that are as civil as this one. I attribute a lot of that to the average age of the members. Most of the members here grew up in an age where there was much more respect for others.

Yes, many thumbs up! And your interpretation makes a lot of sense. :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I didn't realize that - the mods are surely ever-vigilant! Do you also use any kind of filtering? Or would that be a secret....

PJ - Users can click the red triangle in any post to report a "problem" - as soon as the do, every Mod/Admin gets an email. That allows us to catch things very quickly.

Although some people abuse the [red] triangle and simply report things they don't agree with, or violations of the posting rules that aren't violations. If I had $1 for every time someone reported someone else for having "my website" in their signature line, I could retire! :D

Last edited: