• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Introducing HGV Max — Our New Membership Program (Official announcement from HGVC)

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
this is at minimum a micro-devaluation of what I own.
my concern is the "Max Elite" 10 months out reservation requests that auto-fill at 9 months before manual. I've only owned my week since 2020, and had teriffic luck at 9 months out. Do experienced HGVC/DRI owners think that there will be minimal persons who qualify for this, so in practice, this will also just be a slight micro-devaluation?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
my concern is the "Max Elite" 10 months out reservation requests that auto-fill at 9 months before manual. I've only owned my week since 2020, and had teriffic luck at 9 months out. Do experienced HGVC/DRI owners think that there will be minimal persons who qualify for this, so in practice, this will also just be a slight micro-devaluation?

My view on that is TBD. As @Nowaker .... pointed out earlier, a traditional HGVC owner is likely to be able to negate this by simply walking the reservation so there is nothing availability for the HGV Maxer's reservation to be processed at 9 months.

We need to see how it is implemented. One counter I would offer to @Nowaker is that a smart HGV Max user might strategically use their 10-month reservation request to lock in the first three days to start walking a reservation before us mere mortals without Max can. They may be at a significant advantage to us in being able to start walking a reservation if they have enough flexibility in how searches can be created and modified.

I did not buy my resale units with the expectation I could land Ocean Oak or Lagoon Tower anytime I wanted to. I bought my units with the expectation that at least every once in a while I could land those .... and the rest of the time I can find another place worth going.

So, if over the life of my HGVC ownership this has me staying a couple of weeks less at Ocean Oak and a couple of weeks more at Ocean Enclave or Ocean 22 ..... or spending more points on my Oahu trip because I couldn't land Lagoon Tower ..... I am not going to spend my time making "woe is me" Internet posts.

Something from a micro-devaluation to something slightly more substantive is what I expect at this point.

If it is worse than I expect, I can find a plan B ... but I don't currently anticipate it coming to that.

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@escanoe nailed my opinion. For me, it is first wait to see what is implemented. Most of the elite level "benefits" aren't worth anything. This could be another one. If it turns out to be something useful, I will evaluate then.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Dear Owners and Club Members,
Since our acquisition of Diamond Resorts in August 2021, we promised to keep you informed of important updates as we integrate our two companies and develop improved membership programs. Today, I’m excited to share news about the launch of HGV Max, a new membership program that brings together the best of Hilton Grand Vacations Club and Diamond’s The Club into one.
What Is HGV Max?
HGV Max will provide Members with features and benefits, including discounts across the Hilton portfolio of hotels and resorts, the opportunity to experience invitation-only special events and access to more than 80 additional properties across 20 new destinations. Hilton Grand Vacations Owners and Members can buy in to HGV Max now to take advantage of these new benefits.​

To learn more about HGV Max, visit my.hgv.com/hgv-max.

What Are the Benefits?
HGV Max Members have immediate access to more than 60 resorts within the Hilton Grand Vacations Club exchange network, now with complimentary reservations at these properties. The great features and benefits current Club Members enjoy today will stay in place, such as borrowing Points, depositing Points for immediate or future stays at properties within the RCI Exchange network, and access to ClubPartner Perks and experiences such as cruises, guided journeys and special events under HGV Ultimate Access — our new experiences platform.
Future benefits coming to HGV Max Members later in 2022 and beyond include:
  • An Expanded Portfolio of more than 140 properties, featuring access to the Diamond resorts network starting six months or less before check‑out.
  • Complimentary Guest Certificates allotted annually (based on Member tiers).
  • HGV Max Rate with Hilton providing 10% savings off the regularly published rates on reservations at over 6,800 Hilton hotels and resorts.

What’s Next
We will continue to share information about HGV Max, including future membership benefits. News and updates about the program will also appear in your monthly Club Traveler newsletter and Club Traveler magazine.
We look forward to helping you create new memorable vacation experiences at one of our many properties around the world soon.​

Best wishes,​
Gordon Gurnick Signature
Gordon Gurnik
Senior Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer​

[/QUOTE]
As of now are the By Hilton Club properties NOT part of the expanded portfolio? I thought I read on one of the the multiple posts regarding HGV Max that HCNY was not a listed property.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

NOTE: Currently there’s conflicting information within the new guide. The resort page for Chicago and some of the Oahu resorts differs from the summary on page 60 .

I was just able to go and start a booking at Chicago at 9 months. I went right up to the point I had to pay the $59 club booking fee.

Could that change and they just don’t have their system up to date yet? Could be. Hopefully they didn’t release the information with the wrong dates.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I was just able to go and start a booking at Chicago at 9 months. I went right up to the point I had to pay the $59 club booking fee.

Could that change and they just don’t have their system up to date yet? Could be. Hopefully they didn’t release the information with the wrong dates.
Chicago is a HGVC property, and has always had the 9 month Club Season reservation window.

Kurt

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chicago is a HGVC property, and has always had the 9 month Club Season reservation window.

Kurt

Yes, but in the 2022 club guide, it’s listed as having a home resort priority from 276 days through 60 days like some of the Hilton Club properties. This would be a change from the past. I’m not sure if it’s a typo or they are changing the booking rules for this resort.

audirt

Reaction score

Sorry if this is covered in other threads, but is Max Elite = HGVC Elite + Max membership?

If so, that's going to be a very small group of owners I suspect.

(I thought the early scuttlebutt was that the 10-mo booking window would be available to Elite members -- without a Max ownership?)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
King's Land
I am still confused as hell about all of this. Incoming diamond/embarc properties aside, does not having Max change my booking options or availability beyond having more competition, I guess? For example, I booked Kohala 9 months out a few weeks ago. If I do the same thing next year, what differences can I expect?

Shmiddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland, Big Island
Sorry if this is covered in other threads, but is Max Elite = HGVC Elite + Max membership?

If so, that's going to be a very small group of owners I suspect.

(I thought the early scuttlebutt was that the 10-mo booking window would be available to Elite members -- without a Max ownership?)
I don't see anything here about 'Max Elite'. As I see it, you get your 12 months out for home week, 9 months for Club reservations, 6 months for HGV Max (HGV - DRI / DRI - HGV) and 30 days for open season. Some exceptions, based on location, but nothing at 10 months.
1649981763335.png

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I am still confused as hell about all of this. Incoming diamond/embarc properties aside, does not having Max change my booking options or availability beyond having more competition, I guess? For example, I booked Kohala 9 months out a few weeks ago. If I do the same thing next year, what differences can I expect?
Outside of very few Centum members and any new owners, it should be the same. DRI/HVC owners who join Max won't have access until 6 months out.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I guess? For example, I booked Kohala 9 months out a few weeks ago. If I do the same thing next year, what differences can I expect?
Should be the same. DRI HGV Max members won't have access until 6 months out so you will only be competing with normal HGVC club windows. I think that Kahala Suites should still have good availability at 9-month booking window.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... I did not buy my resale units with the expectation I could land Ocean Oak or Lagoon Tower anytime I wanted to. I bought my units with the expectation that at least every once in a while I could land those .... and the rest of the time I can find another place worth going...

Eggsactly!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
King's Land
Should be the same. DRI HGV Max members won't have access until 6 months out so you will only be competing with normal HGVC club windows. I think that Kahala Suites should still have good availability at 9-month booking window.

Ok, so as an HGVC member, I can book other resorts (I own Kings Land but booked Kohala this time) 9 months out, Max allows booking 6 months out. Why would I want to pay them $7k for this right? Lower booking cost or other currently unavailable locations? Not sure it is worth my dollar if I am understanding properly.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you added HGV Max this is would give you access to DRI resorts at the 6-month mark.
But if you are satisfied with what you have at HGVC then no need to go Max as from 9-6 months out it will be exactly the same as it is. Then from 0-6 months there might be more competition.

Most of the more exciting hgvc properties book up well before 6 months out anyway.

Btw is it correctly understood that the max inventory only consist of other max owners ownerships or can HGV throw in additional inventory?
Or does max owners just have access to any inventory in both DRI and HGVC at 6 months?

regards.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Btw is it correctly understood that the max inventory only consist of other max owners ownerships or can HGV throw in additional inventory?
Or does max owners just have access to any inventory in both DRI and HGVC at 6 months?

regards.

No one knows. A DRI resort has to be rebranded as HVC to be booked in HGV Max. Corporate own so many DRI points that they can just put just about anything up there. For the inverse, not sure.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Here is the question with Max 6 months. This may be like a deposit then search like exchanges vs. search then deposit.

You don't know if the unit you want will be available in the DRI program until the 6 month window opens. This makes it more likely that people will reserve in the 6 - 9 month timeframe in their own system to hold a seat in this musical chairs reservation scenario. The question is whether you need to risk giving up your seat in your system to risk the unknown in Max. Or if you can see the DRI you want to quickly cancel and rebook the new reservation without losing it.

Having more points will help because you can hold onto your HGV reservation, then book in DRI and then cancel your original HGV reservation without risking your vacation. For those less familiar or who have only a few points and must cancel, this could open up availability after 6 months in each system.

The challenge is that while DRI owners have an average of 20,000 points. HGV owners have probably in the 7680 to 11,200 (old 7000 pt) range so will need to cancel and rebook to utilize Max effectively.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Has anyone heard if MAX give Open Season Access to DRI for HGVC owners?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Marriott 2010, all over again. The main differences are: 1.) There still is a home window period. (Marriott didn't include one.) and 2.) Marriott let prior resales (prior to the points system in 2010) join, HGV does not.

I think that the HGVC resale market is going to collapse. (I also expect that HGV will be <very> active in that "crashed" market, RORF'ing at low ball prices, to add Max inventory.)
According to the sales rep that I talked to last week, they are moving to a complete point system, like Marriott, but the deeded folks would still get to use the system as is. Also, that the new Chief Innovation Officer, which is a new position, came from Marriott.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
According to the sales rep that I talked to last week, they are moving to a complete point system, like Marriott, but the deeded folks would still get to use the system as is. Also, that the new Chief Innovation Officer, which is a new position, came from Marriott.

Still trying to wrap my head around this. It has to be a trust if they are going full points. I think it would be hard to use either the DRI trust or the Embarc trust without changing their language. Would it be hard to do so? Maybe @dioxide45 @youppi can help with that. My guess is it’s just salesman rumor talk until something more prominent comes about.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@HuskerATL That's helpful info.

FYI...MVC does not sell deeds anymore. They only sell points called Destination Points (DP). Marriott DPs are broken down two ways:

1) Pure Point Sales (Land Trust Portfolio (DP) )

2) Legacy MVC deeded week Owners: Enroll your deeded week in DP points. You deposit your annual week into the DP inventory system if you are not going to use it and then they allocate DP points for your unit for that year for units in the DP portfolio. Resale owners can requalify their deed to DP points by buying a retail week to requalify deeds to work in the system.

Deeds are now only available via resale market. Some with quite good value but only tradeable on II. MVC never had points associated with deeds link HGVC so DP was their points program.

It sounds like HGVC Legacy Owners will fall into the #2 category if they opt for MAX enrollment. Future sales will be sold #1 Trust Points (FWIW...I have zero interest in points only.)

However I've also heard on this board that the inventory Max will access will be existing inventory - not a separate Trust like MVC.

Any insights on this from your sales meeting?

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Still trying to wrap my head around this. It has to be a trust if they are going full points. I think it would be hard to use either the DRI trust or the Embarc trust without changing their language. Would it be hard to do so? Maybe @dioxide45 @youppi can help with that. My guess is it’s just salesman rumor talk until something more prominent comes about.
Could be but he showed us the sheet with the new position and the new person's name. He has been at HGVC for 19 years and a senior associate but he could still be blowing smoke. It sounded pretty confirmed to me.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Could be but he showed us the sheet with the new position and the new person's name. He has been at HGVC for 19 years and a senior associate but he could still be blowing smoke. It sounded pretty confirmed to me.

Sure, but just because he was from Marriott doesn’t mean they are going points. I’m not saying they aren’t going points, but if they are, it’s sure a long way in the distance.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Any insights on this from your sales meeting?

He didn't provide more details and I didn't have good questions to ask. Others going to a sales meetings soon should quiz them and report back. The key thing that I heard was that deeded owners would be able to use the system as is, which included him, but, at some point when the system is rolled out, it would be points only for new owners. He said deeds are too expensive and challenging to manage.