• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Introducing HGV Max — Our New Membership Program (Official announcement from HGVC)

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Hmmmmmm ..... the new alert on HGV Max is gone from my account and the link on the email from HGV to info on the program is not working. They pull it back?

1649775176620.png

Link from email:
To learn more about HGV Max, visit my.hgv.com/hgv-max.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I think that the HGVC resale market is going to collapse. (I also expect that HGV will be <very> active in that "crashed" market, RORF'ing at low ball prices, to add Max inventory.)

It might, especially at the beginning, but as long as we can book what we already can, it won't be rock bottom for long. There is still value in going to the places we have before. Will it ever be as high as it was before Covid? Nope, but there will still be a market.

JTurner538

Reaction score
I was pretty interested in the new program and had even made myself at least consider the 7k, but you can’t even book the diamond properties until 6 month out. Diamond members have 10 months (12 for home week, but that’s understandable). Why would I pay 7k to get the 4 month old leftovers from the diamond owners?

JTurner538

Reaction score
From Diamond’s website.

Attachments

• 62C9FD66-4B90-4C38-9B48-34EB729D19BE.png
    62C9FD66-4B90-4C38-9B48-34EB729D19BE.png
    154.1 KB · Views: 189

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Marriott 2010, all over again. The main differences are: 1.) There still is a home window period. (Marriott didn't include one.) and 2.) Marriott let prior resales (prior to the points system in 2010) join, HGV does not.

I think that the HGVC resale market is going to collapse. (I also expect that HGV will be <very> active in that "crashed" market, RORF'ing at low ball prices, to add Max inventory.)
Marriott still has a home resort booking window, just use your week. Once elected as points, there is no home resort window.

I don't see how HGV can really add to Max inventory. It takes an owner to actually book inside Max for inventory really be able to sit there for bookings. HGV isn't going to buy something and sit on it themselves until 6 months out to make it available. It seems like it takes an active decision by an owner to get inventory into Max. If HGV takes a deed back through ROFR, their goal will be to turn around and sell it to a new buyer who will have access to Max, but this doesn't inherently add to Max inventory.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
I don’t think resales will crash. It is still a deed and you still have access to the system, just not diamond (or possibly new to entire system places). They can only buy up so much inventory, as they need to pay MF on it just like everyone else. If I offer my unit for $10k, it’s either sold at my price, or ROFR at my price.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
But you are correct also, how CI/Embarc resorts are folded into HGVC will determine the direction that HGVC will be taking. (maybe I have my head buried in the sand)

I appreciate your optimism and hope you are right. My timeshare marketing language decoder skills tell me based on what HGVC put in the FAQ (screenshots below) that if Embarc comes to HGVC for booking purposes, it will only be through HGV Max. I am not 100% convinced this would apply to future HGVC development, but it makes me more fearful it may. And if it does it does .... I will still be happy with what I own (albeit a bit less happy).

1649776174535.png

1649776216444.png

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Not including Embarc is the deal breaker for me. I considered it for about 3 seconds, then found out that the main resorts I am interested in are not even included. Nope, not intererested now.

Shmiddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland, Big Island
yeah - the link in the email goes to a '404 page not found' site. Nice rollout guys, looks like someone in marketing will be looking for a job.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
yeah - the link in the email goes to a '404 page not found' site. Nice rollout guys, looks like someone in marketing will be looking for a job.
I wonder if they intended to put it behind login credentials. If you are logged in to your HGV account then click on the link, does it work?

iiderman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they intended to put it behind login credentials. If you are logged in to your HGV account then click on the link, does it work?
I think they definitely wanted it behind login credentials. They would never refer to “resale“ purchases when the audience is the general public.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a good start. Once the dust settles, we will all have a better handle on what HGV Max is all about...

George

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
> I’m an HGV Club Member. Am I automatically an HGV Max Member?
> If you purchased a vacation ownership interest from HGV after January 14, 2022, you will have the option to opt in to HGV Max. If you made a purchase at an HGV-branded Sales Center after April 4, 2022, you will automatically have access to HGV Max.

It's worth noting Scotland deeds are voluntary. However, it's still a purchase from HGV. After April 4, 2022 however, it has to be a HGV-branded Sales Center - which Scotland may not be.

After all, what these pages say doesn't matter that much. These are informational pages, and not actual rules, so it didn't add much on top of the Club Rules we've been discussing for a couple days.

EDIT: Okay, the FAQ is back.

> I’m a voluntary Club Member of HGV Club. Do I qualify to purchase in to HGV Max?
> Points associated with your voluntary Club membership are not eligible for HGV Max, unless a new vacation ownership interest is purchased with HGV. Please fill out our Inquiry Form and we will follow up with details about your ownership and how you can access HGV Max benefits.

So this confirms - Scotland <= April 4th, 2022 ticks the "from HGV" box.

Last edited:

RX8

Timeshare Scam Investigator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
So DRI owners who are members of HGV Max will have access to HGVC resorts at six months. Isn’t this going to make it much harder for HGVC owners to book club reservations six months or less? If that is the case, this isn’t good news for HGVC members who don’t want to join HGV Max. Am I missing something?

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
The FAQ is back online: https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/hgv-max/faqs

What is HGV Max?
HGV Max is a new membership program that gives Members access to more properties in more destinations, special events and discounts across the Hilton portfolio of hotels and resorts.

How do I become an HGV Max Member?
There are different ways to become an HGV Max Member. To start, fill out our Inquiry Form and someone from HGV will follow up with details about the program.

If I become an HGV Max Member, does this change any of my existing fees?
Your Club Dues and some transaction fees may change depending on the timeshare interest you currently own. HGV Max Club Dues will be $281, which is an inclusive fee with additional features and benefits. Please refer to the latest version of the Club Reference: Rules and Fees guide, available here.

How is HGV Max different from my Club membership?
HGV Max is a new membership program within Hilton Grand Vacations Club that provides Members with new benefits and access to more than 80 additional properties later in 2022. With HGV Max, annual Club Dues will include all reservation transaction fees when staying at HGVC and The Club resorts. HGV Max Members are also able to convert Points to Hilton Honors Points for use at more than 6,800 Hilton hotels and resorts and will receive an annual allotment of complimentary Guest Certificates (based on membership tiers).

Will my Hilton Grand Vacations Club benefits continue if I don’t join HGV Max?
Your current HGV Club membership will continue to exist, and you will continue to access the benefits associated with your membership as noted in your Club Rules.

I’m an HGV Club Member. Am I automatically an HGV Max Member?
If you purchased a vacation ownership interest from HGV after January 14, 2022, you will have the option to opt in to HGV Max. If you made a purchase at an HGV-branded Sales Center after April 4, 2022, you will automatically have access to HGV Max. For more questions, please fill out our Inquiry Form and someone from HGV will follow up with more details about your existing ownership and whether it qualifies for HGV Max benefits.

I’m a voluntary Club Member of HGV Club. Do I qualify to purchase in to HGV Max?
Points associated with your voluntary Club membership are not eligible for HGV Max, unless a new vacation ownership interest is purchased with HGV. Please fill out our Inquiry Form and we will follow up with details about your ownership and how you can access HGV Max benefits.

I own a resale week with HGV Club. Am I eligible for the HGV Max program?
Resale weeks are not eligible for HGV Max program benefits. However, there are other options for you to access the new membership program. Please fill out our Inquiry Form and someone from HGV will follow up with more details about your existing ownership and how you can access HGV Max benefits.

If I join HGV Max, will I have access to the Embarc collection?
We are reviewing how to expand HGV Max to include Embarc collection properties. At this time, Embarc collection properties are not part of the HGV Max program.

Will HGV Max impact availability for existing Club Members who do not buy in to the program?
Your Home Week Reservation Window remains unchanged, and HGV Max will have no impact on your ability to reserve your Home Week. For Members with Home Resort or Hilton Club priority, there will also be no impact on a Member’s ability to make reservations during these reservation windows. HGV Max reservations can only be made after the Club reservation window and starting six months or less before the check-out date.

Is there a way to join HGV Max without making an additional timeshare purchase?
We are currently working on additional ways for Members to join HGV Max. Fill out our Inquiry Form and someone from HGV will follow up with details about the program.

I’m an HGV Club Member with Elite status. Do I have to pay extra to join HGV Max?
Your Elite status delivers you access to special benefits and offers under the HGV Club Program. HGV Max is a new platform that provides Members with new benefits and access to over 80 additional properties across 20 new destinations in the U.S. and around the world. For information on HGV Max, including program costs, please fill out the Inquiry Form and someone from HGV will contact you.

I’m an HGV Max Member. Why don’t I see any Hilton Vacation Club, Diamond or Embarc properties on the Club website?
We’re working on adding Hilton Vacation Club and Diamond properties to the Club website over the next couple of months. We will notify Members once properties are available for booking via email and online. Currently, Embarc collection properties are not part of the HGV Max program, but we are reviewing how to incorporate these properties in the future. As soon as details are available, we will share them with you.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So DRI owners who are members of HGV Max will have access to HGVC resorts at six months. Isn’t this going to make it much harder for HGVC owners to book club reservations six months or less? If that is the case, this isn’t good news for HGVC members who don’t want to join HGV Max. Am I missing something?

Yes. But the flip side to that is HGVC members enrolled in HGV Max using their points to book DRI will no longer be competing with us to make HGVC reservations. Will there be more (net) timeshare usage moving in one direction than the other? I suspect DRI is larger (but this would only be their trust/developer sales, so I really don't know) and their Max members will be taking more HGVC inventory than the other way around ..... especially when taking into consideration points required for booking. In my mind, they MUST have some type of system to balance out inventory usage .... what will that be?

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I looked at FedEx, but their arrow is a hidden symbol. That doesn't seem to be where I remember it from. It will come to me at some point, probably in the middle of the night and I will forget it by morning...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
What I don't understand is whether Max works for all deeds resale once purchased, or just pure retail points. If it is just our retail points, definitely not worth the $7k (or another retail buy). With DRI points inflation, although it's enough to reserve a week in NYC, I don't think those HGV retail points would buy me a corner in the basement at at DRI property!

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott still has a home resort booking window, just use your week. Once elected as points, there is no home resort window.

That is simply not true. There is no "home week" period for Marriott. None. Home week in HGVC is a period where only the actual owner, as opposed to the beneficial owner (e.g. the DC trust) can book the week.

In detail. I buy a HGVC week. I get a period, from 12 to 9 months, where only I can book the week I own, with only competition being from other owners who own the same place and type of week. No competition from other owner's points, or other owner's different weeks from other HGVC timeshare owners, during that period. Marriott, on the other hand, grabs inventory for it DC trust point ownership from the booking at exactly the same time as weeks owners, leaving owners a a specific resort in direct competition for any particular week at his/her home resort with the trust. No "home week" booking priority.

From the HGVC standpoint, it is actually better. Anybody wanting to convert to points can't do a "home week" booking, shrinking the "home week" owner's booking pool to less than the total number of weeks available in the "home week" week's available pool in the time window. E.G. say 2500 week available, with 2500 owners. 1250 (50%) choose weeks. You then have 1250 competing for 2500 weeks. Much easier to get the week you want. When the window closes, those "leftover" 1250 weeks are available for all HGVC points users to book. The difference is those people paying for a certain resort have first crack at booking at that resort, unlike Marriott.

I don't see how HGV can really add to Max inventory. It takes an owner to actually book inside Max for inventory really be able to sit there for bookings. HGV isn't going to buy something and sit on it themselves until 6 months out to make it available. It seems like it takes an active decision by an owner to get inventory into Max. If HGV takes a deed back through ROFR, their goal will be to turn around and sell it to a new buyer who will have access to Max, but this doesn't inherently add to Max inventory.
For now you are right. The last piece of the puzzle has not been put into place. Direct selling of Max points, severed from deeded ownership, a la DC points. Once that is in place, Max will be ROFR for selling their own point system. . .

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That is simply not true. There is no "home week" period for Marriott. None. Home week in HGVC is a period where only the actual owner, as opposed to the beneficial owner (e.g. the DC trust) can book the week.
If you are referring to owning DC trust points, you are correct. However if one buys a Marriott week, there is absolutely a home resort period. In fact you don't even give your week up to anyone else unless you decide you want to. I own a week, I can make a reservation at my home resort at any time until I decide I want to elect points. Marriott weeks work differently than HGVC and Vistana where weeks become points at a specified date based on the club rules.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Yes. But the flip side to that is HGVC members enrolled in HGV Max using their points to book DRI will no longer be competing with us to make HGVC reservations. Will there be more (net) timeshare usage moving in one direction than the other? I suspect DRI is larger (but this would only be their trust/developer sales, so I really don't know) and their Max members will be taking more HGVC inventory than the other way around ..... especially when taking into consideration points required for booking. In my mind, they MUST have some type of system to balance out inventory usage .... what will that be?

I'm not sure on this. How much will they be selling DRI into MAX? How many DRI owners will be ponying up the cost for HGV Max? My guess it's not much.

This membership seems to be funneling owners into the HGVC side of the merger. Is there even anything out for Max on the DRI side? Can DRI members even join Max without an HGVC purchase? The FAQ doesn't go over what Max really is. It doesn't say how they are selling and if you still get a deed or not. We can't even look at the mechanism for balancing the systems when we don't even know how the days are calculated.

I have said this before but I'm really disappointed in the transparency HGV has shown during this rollout. They are asking people to spend thousands of dollars without being upfront and forthright with how this system works. I always thought HGVC, on a corporate level, was better than it's competitors. The rollout of HGV Max has changed my opinion of that. It's not the devaluation of my resale deeds. I took a chance that the rules wouldn't change and so far I haven't lost anything I use. What I'm bothered by is corporate taking on some of the DRI tactics in how they treat their clients. Asking someone who could have paid $100,000 or more to pay more for the new program is very disrespectful. If I bought from HGVC, especially in the last few years, I would be livid.

Will I buy resale again? Actually, I might be. I currently see a deed that I would love to have for access to a particular resort. If I can convince my wife to purchase, I think we will (we both love the property). That being said, I wouldn't pay the kind of money they are asking when they have already shown they can and will change the program to my detriment.