• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Portfolio Points Program

dahntahn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs, Hyatt Beach House, Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I know people here on TUG keep saying that HPP owners cant access HRC units, but I agree it sounds like they might be able to.

On practical grounds, no HRC units can possibly become available until 12 months out, so in reality I think it might work out to:
A. 18 months ahead, only HPP units can possibly be available, and only HPP owners can access this inventory. Fair enough, since its HPP inventory for sure.

B. 12 months ahead, both HRC and HPP are able to access HRC units. Is there one pool of inventory that both groups have access to? If so, how is priority determined? If this is the case, the solution is going to be deciding where you want to go early and getting on the waitlist as soon as you can. It can be an expensive proposition if you're not able to plan >12 mo ahead, because it will cost money to book your reservation and more money to cancel your reservation if the dates don't work for you and then more money to make another reservation. Unlike say DVC where all the reservations and cancellations are fee-free.

C. 6 months ahead, both HRC and HPP are able to access both HRC and HPP inventory. This part seems a little unfair to HPP owners, in that we HRC owners haven't paid anything to access HPP whereas they've paid a significant sum.

I don't like this new system but if you happen to be interested in low season at properties with lots of trust inventory, it could be a win for now. For me, I like Carmel in Feb-Mar-Apr so I might do ok for a little while in the new system.

Attended owner's meeting today at Coconut Plantation. The sales manager who is in charge of the lavish sales center here answered questions about HPP. He was quite clear that the only access for HPP members to the HRC inventory AT ALL is when an HRC member who has joined HPP converts their week to HPP in any given year. That week then is available to other HPP members that year. The only way that our HRC wait lists will be affected is if many HRC members buy in to HPP and regularly give up their weeks into HPP, an unlikely possibility IMHO. This is consistent with what we were told at the sales pitch we attended here in January. I know they can change the rules in the future, but for now the fear that we Legacy members will lose wait list priority is groundless. The overwhelming reaction of the owners who attended was negative and some overt anger. ("You're trying to screw us!".)

Interestingly, the resort manager (a gem, Rey Martinez), told us that they will use unbooked time (via HPP) in the new building # 4 for sales promotion stays and HRC legacy members will not be able to access those units, and they will rent them also to the public at large. I.E. They will be used as the developer owned unsold weeks have always been.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Attended owner's meeting today at Coconut Plantation. The sales manager who is in charge of the lavish sales center here answered questions about HPP. He was quite clear that the only access for HPP members to the HRC inventory AT ALL is when an HRC member who has joined HPP converts their week to HPP in any given year. That week then is available to other HPP members that year. The only way that our HRC wait lists will be affected is if many HRC members buy in to HPP and regularly give up their weeks into HPP, an unlikely possibility IMHO. This is consistent with what we were told at the sales pitch we attended here in January. I know they can change the rules in the future, but for now the fear that we Legacy members will lose wait list priority is groundless. The overwhelming reaction of the owners who attended was negative and some overt anger. ("You're trying to screw us!".)

Interestingly, the resort manager (a gem, Rey Martinez), told us that they will use unbooked time (via HPP) in the new building # 4 for sales promotion stays and HRC legacy members will not be able to access those units, and they will rent them also to the public at large. I.E. They will be used as the developer owned unsold weeks have always been.
Thanks, dahntahn, This is consistent with my conversations with Hyatt's owner services people. As has been said throughout this thread, I believe the threat to HRC legacy owners is minimal. Regardless, it certainly behooves all of us to remain vigilant. ILG's creation of this HPP program is a farce, and it's a terrible value for the unsuspecting with--as we have seen on this forum--a lot of high-pressure sales tactics on the part of the sales weasels.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question, so where all of the unsold Windward Pointe weeks Hyatt dumped into HPP lower demand weeks (ie. no diamond weeks)???

Don't know exactly what HWP weeks were put into the HPP trust when Hyatt stopped selling weeks, but expect them to be a rather wide range from 1400 to 2200 as the majority of the weeks/units in building 7 and 8 had never been sold. When selling weeks, not a lot of people wanted to spend $35 to $42K for a 2200 point week and be out in New Town next to the airport. So HPP Trust was an excellent vehicle for Hyatt to unload a lot of points - what a great way to peddle points when the buyer receives no tangible week/unit for their money.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

Have heard of a few of HRC owners buying into HPP - but based on the exit polls (conversations at the pool and as noted here on TUG) from HRC owners attending the sales presentations, the percentage of HRC owners buying HPP can't be but 5%. The sales numbers are low as there's no reason to pay $13K or more for something an HRC owner already has - until HPP starts to sell new locations, every HPP Trust location is a location that an HRC property already exists. So I'm ok with not having access Coconut building 4, Wild Oak building 5 & 6, Windward building 7 & 8, etc.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see how the points mechanics work when you own a mid-year unit and provide that unit to the HPP at the first 12 weeks of the calendar year. It's all about usage and synchronization of HRC and HPP points.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
Don't know exactly what HWP weeks were put into the HPP trust when Hyatt stopped selling weeks, but expect them to be a rather wide range from 1400 to 2200 as the majority of the weeks/units in building 7 and 8 had never been sold. When selling weeks, not a lot of people wanted to spend $35 to $42K for a 2200 point week and be out in New Town next to the airport. So HPP Trust was an excellent vehicle for Hyatt to unload a lot of points - what a great way to peddle points when the buyer receives no tangible week/unit for their money.

Thanks, interesting info!

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if these weeks that were dumped into HPP were the spring/summer weeks that had the jump in point value last year. If you are creating the HPP and need points, what an interesting way to get them (sarcasm).

Edward Druy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Windward Pointe Beach House Hacienda del Mar Pinion Point
When I was there at beginning of February, there was one right next to Two Friends Restaurant. And, I think, there is one at the corner of Duval and Caroline.
You can also sign up at the Hyatt Centric hotel. They have a desk in the lobby.

dahntahn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs, Hyatt Beach House, Hyatt Coconut Plantation
When I complained to the sales manager at yesterday's owners meeting that we legacy owners have been kept completely in the dark about the HPP plan, he explained that until every state govt. in a Hyatt location that will be in the HPP officially approves the plan in that state, Hyatt cannot issue any communication to the HRC community at large. That sounds complicated, but he said the state approval process is different in each state and has taken longer than anticipated. So far, Texas, Florida, California, and Arizona have approvals. The others are in process. Apparently when all sites in HPP have state approval, then Hyatt can market and publicize/announce it to all. He understands our frustration but legally they cannot release the info yet. I found him to be quite credible, and he gave us the best and most succinct explanation of how HPP will work.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
When I complained to the sales manager at yesterday's owners meeting that we legacy owners have been kept completely in the dark about the HPP plan, he explained that until every state govt. in a Hyatt location that will be in the HPP officially approves the plan in that state, Hyatt cannot issue any communication to the HRC community at large. That sounds complicated, but he said the state approval process is different in each state and has taken longer than anticipated. So far, Texas, Florida, California, and Arizona have approvals. The others are in process. Apparently when all sites in HPP have state approval, then Hyatt can market and publicize/announce it to all. He understands our frustration but legally they cannot release the info yet. I found him to be quite credible, and he gave us the best and most succinct explanation of how HPP will work.

If the state has approved HPP in California, why were the salespeople at Highlands Inn saying just a few weeks ago that they can't sell any points? That was one TUGGER's experience when he/she (I can't remember who it was, but they posted about it) attended a sales pitch at HHI.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far, Texas, Florida, California, and Arizona have approvals. The others are in process.

Colorado must have also approved the Hyatt/ILG HPP program as Hyatt Aspen lists HPP available dates on the new HRC/HPP website.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
It was Sapper who posted on March 8th that the sales staff at HHI is unable to sell points. I guess they could have been approved by the state of CA to sell points in the ensuing few weeks, but my impression is that even the seemingly knowledgeable people at Hyatt these days just say whatever they feel like saying at any given moment.

twobluecats

Reaction score
Hello, all. We are members and just returned from a trip where we went through the update. I really had no clue of the changes, and we have been inclined to make the added purchase to support the flexibility that the HPP seemingly will offer. It works for our travel because we don't really use our week as allotted anyway. However, your educated and informed conversation has me thinking otherwise. Are there any folks at Hyatt beyond sales people that can and will speak to members about the changes and any reasonable opportunity to pay to play as Marriott seemed to offer? Any advice much appreciated!

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
If Hawaii and the fractional in Colorado join MFs will skyrocket in HPP

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
...we have been inclined to make the added purchase to support the flexibility that the HPP seemingly will offer. It works for our travel because we don't really use our week as allotted anyway....
What elements of the HPP did you see that might improve your current situation?

twobluecats

Reaction score
Hi! Well. We truly do tend to move to II sooner than maybe we’d prefer because we worry about keeping up with various deadlines. Then, if we decide that a Hyatt resort would be nice, too late as I’ve moved it. We travel extensively and cruise a lot as well and still work full time. We never planned to stay during our week, and at the time of purchase a decade ago we still had DVC as well. Some perks at first glance are:

-longer time to book
-transfer of incremental to WOH instead of all or nothing
-like the idea of Beyond but acknowledge not all the details out yet
-new resort access that might be limited otherwise

But, I’d prefer the option to enjoy these amenities at a reasonable price without committing to more points I don’t need. And, I’m extremely frustrated and worried about the fact that Hyatt has seemingly chose to keep owners in the dark. I haven’t attended an update in eight years-just a fluke we did over the weekend trip!

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the state has approved HPP in California, why were the salespeople at Highlands Inn saying just a few weeks ago that they can't sell any points? That was one TUGGER's experience when he/she (I can't remember who it was, but they posted about it) attended a sales pitch at HHI.

It was me. They said in the meeting that they would be getting HPP approved for Carmel soon. I figured it was a sales tactic because they were still pushing deeds. Maybe they really did get it that fast, but I wonder.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
twobluecats, thanks for your response. Others will likely share their thoughts, but here are mine FWIW:
  • Longer time to book. HPP offers you booking window up to 18 months in advance. So what? Where is the availability at 18 months? If it is from HPP inventory, then maybe so--but the HPP inventory is extremely limited right now. And inventory from HRC is not going to be available until typically 6 months out--the same availability that HRC owners have using their CUP points. And since you're not good at "keeping up with various deadlines", I doubt this option really appeals to you anyway.
  • Transfer of incremental points to WOH instead of all or nothing. Remember, hotel points are a MUCH worse value than timeshare points. I guess if your unused HRC points are truly ready to expire, getting some WOH points is better than nothing. But what that really exposes is that you're frankly not doing a great job of managing your HRC points. In order, here are best and highest uses: 1) book your fixed week at your home resort, which you presumably bought because it's an attractive destination for you; 2) book using CUP points to go where you want within the HRC system--a very good option since just about every Hyatt property is a total winner in terms of quality; 3) deposit your points into II using the EEE option, thereby extending your usage for two years...true, you cannot trade back into Hyatt through II, but you can get Marriotts and Vistana properties--among others--with excellent trade value from your Hyatt unit; 4) last resort before expiration, LCUP--short window reservations. This is not a good option because availability is very limited at that point.
  • Like the idea of Beyond but acknowledge not all the details are out yet. I am not familiar with Beyond, so cannot comment.
  • New resort access that might be limited otherwise. This is a sales weasel tactic, and should be thoroughly discounted. At this time, HPP offers ZERO locations within Hyatt that cannot be accessed by HRC owners. There are rumors that HPP is planning to buy and convert a nice property in Key West, but they are just that--rumors.
Bottom line: with better and closer management of what you already own, you can save yourself a ton of $$ and not buy HPP.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some perks at first glance are:

-longer time to book
-transfer of incremental to WOH instead of all or nothing
-like the idea of Beyond but acknowledge not all the details out yet
-new resort access that might be limited otherwise

I get the longer period to book giving more flexibility to the points.

When I have done the math in the past, transferring points always seemd to be financially more costly than what they are worth. Especially when they run the 40% off buying WoH points deal once or twice a year.

I'm not familiar with any program called "Beyond", would you mind filling us in on this one?

Regarding new resort access, I think for me this is going to have to be a you build it first then I'll believe you kind of thing. They are adding buildings to existing resorts for exclusive HPP access, but we can already access these resorts through HRC. I'm guessing it will be a while before any truly new resorts come online. I'm sure there will be plenty of "opportunities" to buy into HPP between now and that point in the future.

twobluecats

Reaction score
Thanks for the amazing responses. As for Beyond, it is in their marketing literature and was explained to be option that will allow to book experiences much like Adventures by Disney. For example, safaris, etc. And, it will apparently allow for points to be used for cars, hotels, airfare, etc. That part isn’t all that appealing, but high end vacations built out like Adventures by Disney are appealing.

Overall, it appears lots of what ifs right now. Seems the prudent choice should’ve to just sit back and wait it out. Really disappointing in a brand I have historically held in high regard.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Longer time to book - That is a good concept, but what if the only availability was for resorts that no other HPP owners would find interesting. HPP has little or no inventory so any high quality reservation would be taken immediately thru the wait list.

Points to WOH - I suggest some homework to examine the value of WOH points. Over time we have seen the high number of required points does not in any way match the value obtained. Then too, Hyatt has a way of constantly increasing the formula for points usage. A value you see today could easily cost more points tomorrow.

New Resort Access - Right now HPP will include more buildings at a few existing resorts. I would wait to see if any NEW resorts become available.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the amazing responses. As for Beyond, it is in their marketing literature and was explained to be option that will allow to book experiences much like Adventures by Disney. For example, safaris, etc. And, it will apparently allow for points to be used for cars, hotels, airfare, etc. That part isn’t all that appealing, but high end vacations built out like Adventures by Disney are appealing.

Overall, it appears lots of what ifs right now. Seems the prudent choice should’ve to just sit back and wait it out. Really disappointing in a brand I have historically held in high regard.

Ah, most of us have yet to see any formal marketing material. Kal was able to find the new club rules which incorporate HPP, however, I do not remember any mention of a "Beyond" type program. Thank you for explaining it. I would be cautious of the point requirements they may impose for such a program.

What you bought into is still an outstanding system with wonderful properties in great locations. That has not changed. In fact, even with the current monkey business regarding HPP, I'm still looking to acquire another HRC (Carmel!) property. I believe the whole HPP idea was spawned as a way for II to milk money out of the Hyatt system after they over paid for it. I do not believe it was a well thought out program, and I do not believe it has been implemented well. All that being said, II could have done a number if things which would have had significant negative consequences for HRC owners. I actually have hope for the system because II has not done anything really bad to existing owners.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Hawaii and the fractional in Colorado join MFs will skyrocket in HPP

Can't remember where I picked it up, but the only Colorado property in HPP is Aspen.

I believe that Hawaii was also never going to be HPP.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Can't remember where I picked it up, but the only Colorado property in HPP is Aspen.

I believe that Hawaii was also never going to be HPP.
Supposedly according to sales in Key West all states will eventually be approved and then all resorts will be in HPP. Hawaii sales folks deny that. I think that fact that only Aspen is in the program though and Colorado is approved for it means that you are correct. Time will tell I guess.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

Then why doesn't Hyatt send us a letter telling us this??