• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGV Max in the Club Reference Guide

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
So the most cost effective options so far appear to be:

1) Do Nothing. Enjoy HGV as it is today (still wondering where Embarc will land...)
2) (If you already own a developer unit) Buy into HGV Max for $7000 plus fees to get 6 month reservations and Diamond version of Open Season. 0 additional MF. Could add more resale HGV to ownership points once enrolled. Easy to exit.
3) Buy resale Diamond. Cost? What is typical annual MF cost for points to cover a week at Poipu or KBC + purchase of points? Benefit: 13 month reservations + Dia OS. Ease of Exit?
4) Rent what you need. Will your stays in Diamond be less than $7000 over the next 10 - 20 years. How do Vegas cost/resale MF/points arbitrage relative to simply renting?

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
Overall, for HGV (sales) I see this change as positive because they now have an integrated system between HGV & DRI and they will be able to show a lot more places to go. Now, for owners, I am not sure that it will be that positive. IMO, the change is purely for sales.

People who are already going to buy Developer as they don't know about/don't want resale are going to buy into this. And, for those folks, maybe this is not a bad thing since they basically get it with their Developer purchase from what I understand.

Looking at the $7K and thinking that P@P and KBC are our top priorities, it could make sense over getting a DRI resale since it would not add MFs (unless we buy more). But, as noted, the 6-month window limitation would be the kicker. If things are generally available at 6 months at these locations during less popular (not summer, not Christmas, etc.) times, then I might even be able to see this. $7K goes away quickly against added MFs.

For example, we're going to KOA at Thanksgiving time. One of the table shown here indicates that this is a Peak Week at P@P. Since we're a bit inside 6 months, does anyone here have access to see if P@P and/or KBC have availability now? Of course, retirement is just around the corner, so holiday weekends will not be special.

Cheers.

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex

1) Do Nothing. Enjoy HGV as it is today (still wondering where Embarc will land...)
2) (If you already own a developer unit) Buy into HGV Max for $7000 plus fees to get 6 month reservations and Diamond version of Open Season. 0 additional MF. Could add more resale HGV to ownership points once enrolled. Easy to exit.
3) Buy resale Diamond. Cost? What is typical annual MF cost for points to cover a week at Poipu or KBC + purchase of points? Benefit: 13 month reservations + Dia OS. Ease of Exit?
4) Rent what you need. Will your stays in Diamond be less than $7000 over the next 10 - 20 years. How do Vegas cost/resale MF/points arbitrage relative to simply renting?
They've said Embarc aligns into HGVC vs HVC which theoretically means we can book club season as existing members. That to me is the real indicator I would be looking at is if they try and extract extra fees to access additions to HGVC. If they require Max to access the new resorts within my club then it tells me my place and I begin looking for my exit within HGVC.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
HGV Max Reservations.
At six months (186) days prior to check-in, HGV Max Members may utilize ClubPoints to request an exchange into any resort available within the exchange program known as “The Club” operated by Diamond Resorts International Club, Inc.
Based on this, it seems it will just allow you to exchange into the already existing DRI exchange club? At least legally, it doesn't look like the DRI name is going away?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

The most economical avenue to get HVC properties is to buy resale trust points in the collection that fits your needs best. Then you get a 13 month booking window and save $6,999.

The $7,000 buy in for a 6 month booking window is the most overpriced POS offer I believe I’ve ever seen from a timeshare company.

At least I know not to waste my time or the sales staffs tine in an update.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The most economical avenue to get HVC properties is to buy resale trust points in the collection that fits your needs best. Then you get a 13 month booking window and save $6,999.

Question is:: how may years will it take until the MFs from the additional timeshare purchase exceed the $7K? Of course, this applies only to folks with enough points in either program to satisfy their needs and no necessity for buying more. If one might need more then your suggestion is an easy win.

Cheers.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Question is:: how may years will it take until the MFs from the additional timeshare purchase exceed the $7K? Of course, this applies only to folks with enough points in either program to satisfy their needs and no necessity for buying more. If one might need more then your suggestion is an easy win.

Cheers.

That 6 month window is the deal breaker. How many desirable resorts will be available at 6 months? Maybe it will be fine, but it seems like a lot to get resorts that you might not want to go to.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That 6 month window is the deal breaker. How many desirable resorts will be available at 6 months? Maybe it will be fine, but it seems like a lot to get resorts that you might not want to go to.

Yeah, that was something that I, and others, posed in one of these threads previously. My case involved a couple of specific, certainly popular, resorts (P@P, KBC), but not necessarily at popular times. That could well be the deal breaker for us as well. But I just don't know.

Cheers.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Diamond Owners: Does Diamond have the equivalent of last minute Open Season Rates? Are they worth it? Is there is availability at 6 months for Cabo Azul, Maui and Sedona during regular season.
As @geist1223 said yes. There are some unhappy DRI owners in FB group(s) since this will decrease the number of units available at the discounted rate.
I could possibly see the value here since added MFs for a separate DRI resale would eventually catch up with the $7K...except for the 6-month window. Would we really be able to get what we want (and we'd mainly be interested in Point@Poipu and KBC, although with good flexibility for travel dates).
These 2 aren't easy at 6 months within DeX (deeded owner--can't comment on DeX with points). I just checked and noticed some availability in DeX for the next 6 months:
P@P: 15 units
KBC: 9 units

If HGV Max members have access to these weeks (I don't know if they do), they'll likely go quickly.

With deeded weeks (and I think points as well), you can search 2 years out in DeX. As expected, there's more availability the further out you search.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These 2 aren't easy at 6 months within DeX (deeded owner--can't comment on DeX with points). I just checked and noticed some availability in DeX for the next 6 months:
P@P: 15 units
KBC: 9 units

If HGV Max members have access to these weeks (I don't know if they do), they'll likely go quickly.

With deeded weeks (and I think points as well), you can search 2 years out in DeX. As expected, there's more availability the further out you search.

So I'm not completely clear about Dri versus Dex. My understanding is that P@P and KBC are in the same "collection" and, even resale, one could get into both of these, even if nowhere else. Is this the 13 months or 2 year thing? We can book a year out (we do 11 months for DVC now), so that would work for us. Just not sure of the nuances.

Cheers.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
But if you purchase into DRI, you are also getting something (basically another week's stay).

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
P@P and KBC are in the same "collection"
Collections are different than deeds. It sounds like @NiteMaire is a deeded owner of a single DRI property - Sedona Summit (or maybe two deeds? Colonies at Williamsburg?). Anyway, a deeded owner is entitled to a week at their home resort every year, nothing more, nothing less. But DRI runs an internal exchange program for deeded owners, and that's what Nitemaire is referring to re: units visible within the DeX for deeded owners. There is a separate internal program for (I think) everyone else, who have points. The points system also has multiple "collections", where there is early access within your collection, if I understand it correctly.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
It sounds like @NiteMaire is a deeded owner of a single DRI property - Sedona Summit (or maybe two deeds? Colonies at Williamsburg?)

Colonies at Williamsburg is a Vacation Village property, not a DRI property.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
But DRI runs an internal exchange program for deeded owners
Hopefully HGVC deeded owners will also have access to this internal exchange program.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Hopefully HGVC deeded owners will also have access to this internal exchange program.
That would certainly make sense as a long term goal, if they can structure it as a replacement for RCI, owned by a rival. But I suspect they will squeeze as much juice as they can out of the Max intergration first.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
So I'm not completely clear about Dri versus Dex. My understanding is that P@P and KBC are in the same "collection" and, even resale, one could get into both of these, even if nowhere else. Is this the 13 months or 2 year thing? We can book a year out (we do 11 months for DVC now), so that would work for us. Just not sure of the nuances.
Collections are different than deeds. It sounds like @NiteMaire is a deeded owner of a single DRI property - Sedona Summit (or maybe two deeds? Colonies at Williamsburg?). Anyway, a deeded owner is entitled to a week at their home resort every year, nothing more, nothing less. But DRI runs an internal exchange program for deeded owners, and that's what Nitemaire is referring to re: units visible within the DeX for deeded owners. There is a separate internal program for (I think) everyone else, who have points. The points system also has multiple "collections", where there is early access within your collection, if I understand it correctly.
My apologies, I should have been clearer. @magmue is correct. I was purely referring to the internal exchange system I have access to as a deeded owner at Sedona Summit. If I owned a deed there or points in the Hawaii Collection, I'd have greater access to inventory at those 2 resorts. Points owners also have access to inventory within DeX (presumably different inventory than deeded owners).
I must say though I'm impressed with P@P and KBC availability in DeX; it was a primary factor for us purchasing Sedona Summit. While I don't have as much accessibility as deeded owners or HI Collection owners, there was enough availability to purchase SS. Here's a post about the cost to use DeX to exchange SS into P@P: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/h...iscussion-in-owner-update.332533/post-2746679
We can use DeX to exchange into those properties for much less than the cost of owning a deed there or points in HI Collection (don't know how it compares to the discounted cost for a checkin with 60 days).

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
In THE Club for 7 nights booking,
P@P: many dates in April, May and June 2022, few in July 2022, many in April and May 2023
KBC: many in May 2022, one in Nov 27 2022, few in end of March 2023, many in April and May 2023

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
P@P: many dates in April, May and June 2022, few in July 2022, many in April and May 2023
KBC: many in May 2022, one in Nov 27 2022, few in end of March 2023, many in April and May 2023

Thanks. How many DRI clubpoints are required for a week booking at these resorts and what is the MF/point in the Hawaii Collection?
What does it cost to pick up that many points resale?

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
So it seems the advantage for The Club is near-term availability. To compare with DeX (deed) using your same format:
P@P: 3 in April 2022, 12 in May 2022, then none until late April 2023, many in May-June 2023
KBC: 9 in May 2022, then none until late March 2023, many in April-June 2023

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But if you purchase into DRI, you are also getting something (basically another week's stay).

Right. I'm just talking about the case where one had enough points for their stays and just wanted more options. But this may make sense for us anyway.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So it seems the advantage for The Club is near-term availability. To compare with DeX (deed) using your same format:
P@P: 3 in April 2022, 12 in May 2022, then none until late April 2023, many in May-June 2023
KBC: 9 in May 2022, then none until late March 2023, many in April-June 2023

Are resorts only bookable by the week? I see weekly point totals, but not anything for days. HGVC, for example, allows a 3-day minimum and has point values for weekend and weekday days.

I'd still have to wrap my head around "points" and "deeds" and "The Club" and "DeX."

What I'd want to do is own somewhere where I could use P@P and KBC, ideally in smaller increments, but a week is OK. It sounds like one could own at Sedona for lower MFs and still get these. This works well in HGVC where I own Las Vegas and use in Kona.

Also, I see comments about short-term availability being greater than medium-term. But longer term is more what we would do...9 months or so if that can be done.

Cheers.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Are resorts only bookable by the week? I see weekly point totals, but not anything for days. HGVC, for example, allows a 3-day minimum and has point values for weekend and weekday days.
For deeded week owners, resorts are only bookable by the week. I defer to points owners, but I think they can reserve part of the week (I'm open to being wrong on this). @youppi @artringwald any insight?
What I'd want to do is own somewhere where I could use P@P and KBC, ideally in smaller increments, but a week is OK. It sounds like one could own at Sedona for lower MFs and still get these. This works well in HGVC where I own Las Vegas and use in Kona.
If you're okay with one week increments, Sedona Summit 2BR LO is a superb choice to trade into P@P and KBC. We exchanged into P@P for Thanksgiving 2023. See the link in post #41 above for the cost breakdown of doing it from Sedona to P@P.