• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGV Max - Diamond Integration Discussion in Owner Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Almost always there is a bloc of units that are owned by Corporate. Unsold inventory or foreclosures/defaults that the resort or trust routes back to corporate for resale. Corporate has the voting rights associated with that unit, and they vote it as a bloc.

Given the low turnout in board elections and the number of owners who will simply vote to retain the existing management, the bloc owned by corporate does not have to be large for corporate to control the board. I would guess as little as 5% ownership would be enough to essentially control the board.
Also, if the corporate controls a trust then the corporate has a good chance to control all resorts HOA where the trust own many units because the board of the trust controlled by the corporate will vote at each HOA of resorts included in the trust and will vote for corporate puppets to put on the board of each HOA.

Example:
HGV corporate controls the HVC Hawaii Collection trust because many members don't vote, members have 1 vote per point owned but corporate has 3 votes per point owned (unsold points of the HI Collection).

The HI Collection trust owns the following resorts and from the number of units owned at each resort, HGV corporate probably controls the HOA at those resorts too:
~64% of units at The Point at Poipu (Kauai, HI)
~62% of units at Ka'anapali Beach Club (Maui, HI)
~60% of units at Villas at Pollo Towers (Las Vegas, NV)
~50% of units at Cancun Resort (Las Vegas, NV)
~32% of units at Palm Canyon Resort (Palm Spring, CA)
~31% of units at Cedar Breaks Lodge, (Brian Head, UT)
~7% of units at Sedona Summit (Sunset section only) (Sedona, AZ) ***

*** The US Collection trust owns ~72% of units at Sedona Summit and the US Collection is controlled by HGV corporate.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Also, if the corporate controls a trust then the corporate has a good chance to control all resorts HOA where the trust own many units because the board of the trust controlled by the corporate will vote at each HOA of resorts included in the trust and will vote for corporate puppets to put on the board of each HOA.
Good note. The Trust arrangement further cements corporate control. Using your numbers, even if every deeded owner at Po'ipu or Ka'anapali voted for a change in management, the Trust votes would still carry the day.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Example:
HGV corporate controls the HVC Hawaii Collection trust because many members don't vote, members have 1 vote per point owned but corporate has 3 votes per point owned (unsold points of the HI Collection).

The HI Collection trust owns the following resorts and from the number of units owned at each resort, HGV corporate probably controls the HOA at those resorts too:
~64% of units at The Point at Poipu (Kauai, HI)
~62% of units at Ka'anapali Beach Club (Maui, HI)
~60% of units at Villas at Pollo Towers (Las Vegas, NV)
~50% of units at Cancun Resort (Las Vegas, NV)
~32% of units at Palm Canyon Resort (Palm Spring, CA)
~31% of units at Cedar Breaks Lodge, (Brian Head, UT)
~7% of units at Sedona Summit (Sunset section only) (Sedona, AZ) ***

*** The US Collection trust owns ~72% of units at Sedona Summit and the US Collection is controlled by HGV corporate.
Heavy

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI, I calculated the % from the financial report December 31, 2020
1648595462871.png

In the 2019 annual meeting presentation, they show the number in weeks in place of units and the % owned is similar
1648595583281.png

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Last edited:

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Worth the look. They point out HGV is a sub-brand and HGVC is still the flagship. It gives the impression that HGVC and HGV will operate separately for users with no "cross pollination" unless you join the still TBD HGV MAX. To me, the relationship might have the look and feel of the relationship between Worldmark and Wyndham. Hilton Grand Vacations Buys Diamond Resorts: How This Affects You - Selling Timeshares, Inc.

"ClubPoint Values Were Adjusted By 160%" - One of the most notable changes is that Hilton has adjusted ClubPoint values to be 160% higher than before.

Mine only went up 60%. Who should I call;)

primeg

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Trust, Holiday Inn Club Piney Shores Resort, Vacation Village at Williamsburg, Diamond Resorts
The 160% in the article is a misprint. It should read 60%.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas

I thought that it was 160%, and the extra 100% were automatically transferred to HHonors points. And, with the devaluation, they reduced those so that the net result looks the same in the HHonors totals. But your suggestion makes more sense :)

Cheers.

primeg

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Trust, Holiday Inn Club Piney Shores Resort, Vacation Village at Williamsburg, Diamond Resorts
I thought that it was 160%, and the extra 100% were automatically transferred to HHonors points. And, with the devaluation, they reduced those so that the net result looks the same in the HHonors totals. But your suggestion makes more sense :)

Cheers.
On the HGVC website this am:

Points Adjustment for Club Members
On February 24, 2022, Hilton Grand Vacations is changing the number of Points allocated to a Club Member’s vacation ownership interest and the number of Points required to make a reservation.
  • ClubPoints, Bonus Points & Saved Points: The adjustment will increase all Points by 60%. Therefore, for every 1 Point in a Club Member’s account, the account will change to 1.6 Points. Example: If on February 23, a Club Member had 5,000 ClubPoints, on February 24, the Member will have 8,000 ClubPoints.
  • Club Reservations: The number of Points needed to make reservations will also be adjusted across the Club Program by the same 60%. Hence, a Member’s ability to make reservations using their Points within the Hilton Grand Vacations Club system stays the same.
  • RCI: Currently deposited Points in RCI will also be adjusted on February 24, 2022.
  • Hilton Honors: Honors conversion ratios will be adjusted proportionally so you receive a commensurate Points amount.
  • ClubPartner Perks: The exchange value per Points converted for ClubPartner Perks will be adjusted proportionally for each partner.
  • Maintenance Fees: The exchange value per Bonus Points for maintenance fees will be adjusted proportionally as well.

It looks like we need to relearn all of our purchase/pt and MF/pt math.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Understood. Both @BingoBangoBongo's and my posts were jokes based on the typo. The actual numbers were discussed a while back :)

Cheers.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"ClubPoint Values Were Adjusted By 160%" - One of the most notable changes is that Hilton has adjusted ClubPoint values to be 160% higher than before.

Yeah, I caught that. I figured if they said 60% people would think they were adjusted down. Could have been worded better.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

A case could be made that both statements are correct. "Adjusted by 160%" could very well mean multiplied by 160%, which is the same as "going up by 60%".

The diversity of discussions we have here always amazes me. ;)

Kurt

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
A case could be made that both statements are correct. "Adjusted by 160%" could very well mean multiplied by 160%, which is the same as "going up by 60%".

While true, the following statement that was included in the quote couldn't reasonably be interpreted that way:

Hilton has adjusted ClubPoint values to be 160% higher than before.

That statement would require that ClubPoint values be multiplied by 260%.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
While true, the following statement that was included in the quote couldn't reasonably be interpreted that way:

Or it could be interpreted as sloppy writing/editing. A couple of months ago one of the major US newspaper made this very mistake in the headline of a story real estate price increases. Reading the story is was clear that prices had gone up by nn% year over year. The headline said real estate prices were 1nn% higher than a year earlier.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Or it could be interpreted as sloppy writing/editing. A couple of months ago one of the major US newspaper made this very mistake in the headline of a story real estate price increases. Reading the story is was clear that prices had gone up by nn% year over year. The headline said real estate prices were 1nn% higher than a year earlier.

Or could be interpreted as "Timeshare math".

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Well, that would probably be an appropriate identification of the root cause that lead to the publication of a headline that said what it said. Up is not down and wrong is not right. Call me a stickler or curmudgeon if you will - I won't object.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well, that would probably be an appropriate identification of the root cause that lead to the publication of a headline that said what it said. Up is not down and wrong is not right. Call me a stickler or curmudgeon if you will - I won't object.
I'm a stickler as well. I emailed the writer of the article about the mistake. He acknowledged the error and they fixed the headline.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Geez did this have legs…. It says adjusted to 160% rather than increased by 160%. It’s technically accurate but poorly written.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Geez did this have legs…. It says adjusted to 160% rather than increased by 160%. It’s technically accurate but poorly written.

Right, but

One of the most notable changes is that Hilton has adjusted ClubPoint values to be 160% higher than before.

is not even technically correct as written.

Cheers.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It would be technically accurate but for the inclusion of the word "be" after the word "to" and the phrase "higher than before" after the figure 160%, making this a statement about the margin by which the ClubPoints changed rather than a statement about the final level of the ClubPoints. In my view, it's technically inaccurate and poorly written, but I fully admit to being a curmudgeon.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It would be technically accurate but for the inclusion of the word "be" after the word "to" and the phrase "higher than before" after the figure 160%, making this a statement about the margin by which the ClubPoints changed rather than a statement about the final level of the ClubPoints. In my view, it's technically inaccurate and poorly written, but I fully admit to being a curmudgeon.
Curmudgeons rule!!!

One of the most notable changes is that Hilton has adjusted ClubPoint values to be 160% higher than before.

That statement can only mean that the new values are 260% of the old values. If they said values were 60% higher, then that would unequivocally mean that the new values are 1.6x the old values - you multiply by 0.6 and add that value to the old value. Thus, If they are 160% higher, you multiply by 1.6 and add that value to the old value, yielding a results that is 2.6x the original.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
I agree. When we owned 2 weeks at PoloTowers and DRI bought Sunterra, it made sense for us to pay the $2,995 joiner fee. It gave us easy access to a wealth of resorts and locations we didn’t have easy access into except through external exchange with II. It gave us control to choose the resort, check in date and view. All things we didn’t have with II.

I suspect there are more than a few Hilton owners who find themselves in the same position as we were all those years ago. They feel limited by Hilton’s offerings of destinations and will find the addition of all the DRI destinations attractive. Even if the joiner fee is $5,000, it’s less expensive than starting over in another system or even buying a resale week but having to pay the yearly MF on those purchases.
Agree - I would be totally happy to pay a reasonable joiner fee. Especially if they include some resorts in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.