• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Trusted Testing Partners

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
I tried walgreens but there were no possible appointments to be made. So I ordered the Vault test. it should be shipping today. I have to take the test Saturday am and ship it out Saturday to get the results (hopefully) in time for my Tuesday morning flight. filling out all of the requested info was very time consuming. worth it, but some less computer literate people may have issues with it. I am hoping to follow the test through the tracking and see how it works.. wish me luck! I will update as the test transits if anybody is interested.

Ok, update on the testing and some advice. I opted to take the Vault mail in test. It showed up quickly, and the online zoom testing was quick and easy. My wife and I were able to do them both on the same call. However, because we are flying on a Tuesday... the test has to be done at least 72 hours before your flight, so we took it at exactly 72 hours on a Saturday morning and dropped the test off at UPS to be delivered on Monday. So... they will be receiving the tests today on Monday, and even with the Hawaii expedite, I am not optimistic that they will come back today. So, we will be flying prior to getting our results. I am not sure how they are going to handle that since we bounce through Honolulu on our way to Maui. can we continue to Maui and quarantine until the results come back? no idea. at the least this trip will be interesting.. So, keep this in mind when scheduling your flights and try to keep away from a weekend in your testing window..

I will update as things progress..

I need my Maui fix!!!!

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
Ok, update on the testing and some advice. I opted to take the Vault mail in test. It showed up quickly, and the online zoom testing was quick and easy. My wife and I were able to do them both on the same call. However, because we are flying on a Tuesday... the test has to be done at least 72 hours before your flight, so we took it at exactly 72 hours on a Saturday morning and dropped the test off at UPS to be delivered on Monday. So... they will be receiving the tests today on Monday, and even with the Hawaii expedite, I am not optimistic that they will come back today. So, we will be flying prior to getting our results. I am not sure how they are going to handle that since we bounce through Honolulu on our way to Maui. can we continue to Maui and quarantine until the results come back? no idea. at the least this trip will be interesting.. So, keep this in mind when scheduling your flights and try to keep away from a weekend in your testing window..

I will update as things progress..

I need my Maui fix!!!!

We are currently in Kauai and both used the Vault tests. Our experience, and that of almost everyone else who has posted in several forums, was receipt of our negative results via email within 30 hours of the Zoom call. That being said, I’ve been wondering about the potentially problematic Tuesday flights. You’re at the mercy of the UPS system. Vault works 7 days a week to process test kits, but does UPS deliver on a weekend? I’m not sure I would recommend flying without negative test results uploaded and printed given what I’ve been reading. The state seems to be really lagging in processing negative test results from travelers who arrived still waiting; they get their negative results, upload everything and end up waiting days for authorization to leave quarantine. I personally wouldn’t take that risk, but if your trip is longer than a week, you may decide you’re ok with that outcome. Any way you can change your flight and accommodations to a Thursday arrival? Please let us know what happens and I truly hope everything goes smoothly! Aloha!

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The test has to be within 72 hours of the time of departure of the flight between the mainland and whichever island you are going to.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the 72 hours of the time of departure of the flight between the mainland to the first island you land on as far as I can remember.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just as samara64 says. Covid test must be done within 72 hours of departure time of flight that lands in Hawaii.

So if you have a stop over, the 72 hours is from the final flight arriving in Hawaii.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Triplicate. Dang wireless internet connection.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to say the same thing. 72 max before the flight from the mainland to the islands leaves.

What happens if your flight is delayed, or you are bumped to another flight? The 72 hours can easily run out if you try to time things just right to give yourself enough time to get the results before you leave.

Last edited:

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are currently in Kauai and both used the Vault tests. Our experience, and that of almost everyone else who has posted in several forums, was receipt of our negative results via email within 30 hours of the Zoom call. That being said, I’ve been wondering about the potentially problematic Tuesday flights. You’re at the mercy of the UPS system. Vault works 7 days a week to process test kits, but does UPS deliver on a weekend? I’m not sure I would recommend flying without negative test results uploaded and printed given what I’ve been reading. The state seems to be really lagging in processing negative test results from travelers who arrived still waiting; they get their negative results, upload everything and end up waiting days for authorization to leave quarantine. I personally wouldn’t take that risk, but if your trip is longer than a week, you may decide you’re ok with that outcome. Any way you can change your flight and accommodations to a Thursday arrival? Please let us know what happens and I truly hope everything goes smoothly! Aloha!

My wife's results came in Monday at 5pm, mine didn't until 530am Tuesday. At least they're in, so we're leaving in 4 hours maui bound! Any other hiccups I will relay as well. It was a stressful sleep but all is well.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife's results came in Monday at 5pm, mine didn't until 530am Tuesday. At least they're in, so we're leaving in 4 hours maui bound! Any other hiccups I will relay as well. It was a stressful sleep but all is well.
Congratulations! We went through the same stress. Glad that everything turned out well!

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe (but double check with Hawaii) that if something happens with your flights that they will work with you on something like delayed or cancelled flights. That would be out of your control and as long as you had shown good faith by having the test as required there most likely would be no problem. BUT, check with Hawaii to make sure. I think I read about it somewhere on the state of Hawaii website.
I am trying to say the same thing. 72 max before the flight from the mainland to the islands leaves.

What happens if your flight is delayed, or you are bumped to another flight? The 72 hours can easily run out if you try to time things just right to give yourself enough time to get the results before you leave.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

If you check out the FAQs on the Hawaii travel website it answers your question about flight delays. The 72 hours is from the time of your test to your scheduled flight departure not actual flight departure.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update. Made it and am living it (of course, it's maui). Everybody has been nice. Masks are required pretty much everywhere and enforced with gentle reminders. The least compliance I've seen was the kaanapali boardwalk by whalers village, but everywhere from north kaanapali to Lahaina has been better. I, personally, don't believe they help, but I'm on their island, I follow their rules. About half of the businesses are still closed, but the trade off is little traffic and uncrowded beaches. Enjoying it.

jedimasterjem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR, AKL; Grandview Las Vegas; SVV - Bella; MGC
I have a question about the Hawaii Trusted partner. It says on their website that COLOR is a trusted partner. Can I use COLOR if it is provided through my employer or do I have to use the COLOR through United Airlines? I am flying on Alaska out of SFO, my employer City and County let's us test for free using COLOR.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As long as the color test you are doing is an approved NAAT test. Some providers do NAAT tests for Hawaii and PCR for others.

jedimasterjem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
the COLOR website says they are doing the NAAT tests, it doesn't specify if limited to locations.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the Hawaii Trusted partner. It says on their website that COLOR is a trusted partner. Can I use COLOR if it is provided through my employer or do I have to use the COLOR through United Airlines? I am flying on Alaska out of SFO, my employer City and County let's us test for free using COLOR.
I believe that you need to click through the links for the trusted traveler program on the website. Here is a blurb from their FAQ:

I have a layover in SFO, am I eligible for the test?
This is currently only for originating flights from San Francisco International Airport to Hawai’i and does not include layovers. You are eligible if you have a distinct outbound flight from SFO to Hawai’i.

The Hawaii testing partners is a pretty specific list. I would not personally risk it to try to use a lab not specifically mentioned in the linked list of providers.

For example both CVS and Walgreens are trusted partners, but only *specific* locations. They are inflexible on this requirement.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
As long as the color test you are doing is an approved NAAT test. Some providers do NAAT tests for Hawaii and PCR for others.

I would be hesitant using COLOR through your employer. The URL for COLOR on the Hawaii Trusted Partner website links to a page discussing United Airlines COVID-19 testing program. I wouldn't take the risk of getting to Hawaii just to find out I didn't have a test accepted by the state.

From the State of Hawaii Covid-19 Portal: Color – Color supports the nation’s first COVID-19 testing program for airline passengers. Tests available for ages five and older. Information can be found at color.com/united-airlines-testing-program.

jedimasterjem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would be hesitant using COLOR through your employer. The URL for COLOR on the Hawaii Trusted Partner website links to a page discussing United Airlines COVID-19 testing program. I wouldn't take the risk of getting to Hawaii just to find out I didn't have a test accepted by the state.

From the State of Hawaii Covid-19 Portal: Color – Color supports the nation’s first COVID-19 testing program for airline passengers. Tests available for ages five and older. Information can be found at color.com/united-airlines-testing-program.
I decided not to risk it either and ordered a vault test. Hopefully this works out.

Sent from my SM-T867U using Tapatalk

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco now sells a test kit: https://www.costco.com/covid-19-sal...observation-for-travel.product.100714933.html

It says results are available 12-48 hours after the kit arrives at the lab, and it is approved for travel to Hawaii. The test is provided by www.azova.com.

My problem is that my trip is on a Wednesday, and UPS doesn't pick up on Sunday, the day 72 hours before my trip. I was going to take the CVS test, but I'm not sure who they use to send the sample to wherever it gets tested. I'm trying to decide which way to go.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco now sells a test kit: https://www.costco.com/covid-19-sal...observation-for-travel.product.100714933.html

It says results are available 12-48 hours after the kit arrives at the lab, and it is approved for travel to Hawaii. The test is provided by www.azova.com.

My problem is that my trip is on a Wednesday, and UPS doesn't pick up on Sunday, the day 72 hours before my trip. I was going to take the CVS test, but I'm not sure who they use to send the sample to wherever it gets tested. I'm trying to decide which way to go.
In our area CVS uses Quest. My husband's test results were delayed and calling CVS was zero help. They are only acting as a facilitator. We couldn't get any status update from anyone. We have no idea which Quest lab tested our samples. It was a black hole once we gave the swabs to the CVS person. For timing info - we tested on a Wed morning (11:30am - we had a Saturday departure at 11:05am), I received my results at about 7am on Friday, my husband received his results on Friday night at 8:30pm. He did not get the notification text until Saturday morning but he had been checking the app frequently so saw his results on Friday night. It was more stressful than expected.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called our local CVS. Quest picks up the tests once a day, including Sunday. There are also a few Quest labs in the area. The lady didn't know to which Quest labs the CVS tests went to.

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast (Platinum Plus and Platinum), Marriott Mountainside (ski week), Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina (week 34,35 and 49,50), DSV 2 (red)
I think the 72 hour results are the biggest concern especially with the spike and number of tests currently being done. We don't travel to Maui until early December but I already ordered our tests through Vault just to make sure I had my tests in hand. I ordered 4 of the tests 4 days ago and I have only received one of the 4 so far. On that test I got an email that my test had been shipped to my house. Today, I received an email that the second test was shipped. As of today two tests have still not been sent. Unfortunately, Vault has not been very responsive with emails and I could not find a phone number to call. My biggest worry is sending the test off and not getting the results before final departure. They are slow shipping the tests to me so I'm losing faith that they will be reliable with the turnaround time. For some reason, I only had to pay for one of the four tests because the other three were covered by my state. I'm thinking I might just do the Costco test as well just to be on the safe side. I'm the type of person that does not do well with uncertainty. I guess we can only control what we can control and leave it at that

jedimasterjem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the 72 hour results are the biggest concern especially with the spike and number of tests currently being done. We don't travel to Maui until early December but I already ordered our tests through Vault just to make sure I had my tests in hand. I ordered 4 of the tests 4 days ago and I have only received one of the 4 so far. On that test I got an email that my test had been shipped to my house. Today, I received an email that the second test was shipped. As of today two tests have still not been sent. Unfortunately, Vault has not been very responsive with emails and I could not find a phone number to call. My biggest worry is sending the test off and not getting the results before final departure. They are slow shipping the tests to me so I'm losing faith that they will be reliable with the turnaround time. For some reason, I only had to pay for one of the four tests because the other three were covered by my state. I'm thinking I might just do the Costco test as well just to be on the safe side. I'm the type of person that does not do well with uncertainty. I guess we can only control what we can control and leave it at that
Hmm thats a little concerning I ordered the test last night hoping to get them by Saturday to do the test by Sat ups air pick up. And results by Monday. Hopefully I won't get delayed.

Sent from my SM-T867U using Tapatalk

Mary W

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter and her friends had a good experience with the Color Covid testing. All are San Francisco residents and got free tests at the Embarcadero site. They were tested at 5:30 pm on a Wednesday evening and received their negative results early Thursday morning. They uploaded their results to the Safe Travels Hawaii website and received their QR codes within an hour. There had no issues when they arrived in Lihue.

My daughter had actually booked a second Covid test on Thursday morning to be sure she would have the results before her Saturday morning flight, but ended up canceling that appointment because she already had her official QR code from Hawaii.