• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Face masks and coronavirus: Asia may have been right and the rest of the world is coming around

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
If we are now to wear masks and none are available to purchase where would we get them from?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
There isn’t a conspiracy theory just evolving information.

or alternatively -“ just because your paranoid - doesn’t mean someone isn’t trying to get you “

Mel Gibson - Conspiracy Theory -1997
with Julia Roberts

or to use the timeshare model -
just because the TS sales rep told you it was true / doesn’t mean it is .......

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
or alternatively -“ just because your paranoid - doesn’t mean someone isn’t trying to get you “

Mel Gibson - Conspiracy Theory -1997
with Julia Roberts

or to use the timeshare model -
just because the TS sales rep told you it was true / doesn’t mean it is .......
Ok you go with that. LOL Happy life!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
My SIL started making mask a month ago to keep her busy. Thankfully most of my family is outfitted.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am posting this Facebook Post from a Physician Assistant I know.

But I think it’s important for people to know this coming from a health care worker who is in direct contact with patients.

“Just got my COVID antibody test back. Thanks to all the staff who worked with me over the last 3 months. My co workers who made sure we all had a mask. You know who you are. Hiding masks from those people who would walk away with boxes leaving us with none and COVID positive people to take care of. The most infectious pandemic with positive people walking in lying about symptoms, high viral exposure with warning and without and my test says I know what I am doing. If you are scared of catching the COVID at the grocery store please message me for lessons. I didn't catch it with COVID positive people pulling off their mask, coughing in my face,grabbing me while I try to help them in a close space. The mask Gestapo needs to stop.”

Comment from one of her friends: “All 3 of my kids were negative...with a father who had Covid...Sasha was snuggling with him the morning he started running fevers....I was sleeping in the same bed as him, sharing a bathroom....and based on my house cleaning skills...I should've had it! So I am not buying how contagious it is...sorry!”

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am posting this Facebook Post from a Physician Assistant I know.

But I think it’s important for people to know this coming from a health care worker who is in direct contact with patients.

“Just got my COVID antibody test back. Thanks to all the staff who worked with me over the last 3 months. My co workers who made sure we all had a mask. You know who you are. Hiding masks from those people who would walk away with boxes leaving us with none and COVID positive people to take care of. The most infectious pandemic with positive people walking in lying about symptoms, high viral exposure with warning and without and my test says I know what I am doing. If you are scared of catching the COVID at the grocery store please message me for lessons. I didn't catch it with COVID positive people pulling off their mask, coughing in my face,grabbing me while I try to help them in a close space. The mask Gestapo needs to stop.”

Comment from one of her friends: “All 3 of my kids were negative...with a father who had Covid...Sasha was snuggling with him the morning he started running fevers....I was sleeping in the same bed as him, sharing a bathroom....and based on my house cleaning skills...I should've had it! So I am not buying how contagious it is...sorry!”

I have been wearing a mask all along, even when I was skeptical of masks working. I have been quarantining myself, social distancing, washing hands, etc. I have canceled all my 2020 travel. I am not planning for 2021. I have closed my office and asked employees to work at home. I canceled my home purchase in February and lost my security deposit. I got a PPP small business loan to stay in business and pay my employees while business is down. I was ready to make a mental shift and start believing the research that says masks help. After reading your friend's comments, now I am back into skeptic mode. I bet many people are feeling like me with all the mixed messages. I feel like I really need some clear scientific evidence on what works. How does Covid really spread? I do not want to bother doing things that science says really does not work but do it just in case it works. That is silly to me. It is leading to divisiveness and judgement among the American people. We should all be in this together.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have been wearing a mask all along, even when I was skeptical of masks working. I have been quarantining myself, social distancing, washing hands, etc. I have canceled all my 2020 travel. I am not planning for 2021. I have closed my office and asked employees to work at home. I canceled my home purchase in February and lost my security deposit. I got a PPP small business loan to stay in business and pay my employees while business is down. I was ready to make a mental shift and start believing the research that says masks help. After reading your friend's comments, now I am back into skeptic mode. I bet many people are feeling like me with all the mixed messages. I feel like I really need some clear scientific evidence on what works. How does Covid really spread? I do not want to bother doing things that science says really does not work but do it just in case it works. That is silly to me. It is leading to divisiveness and judgement among the American people. We should all be in this together.

Don’t let an anonymous online quote stop you from protecting yourself. Actually, I don’t know what’s worse...not wearing a mask because of an online anonymous comment or encouraging others to question the veracity of mask wearing.

As of now, it’s obvious that the scientific community consensus is to wear a mask. There have been numerous reports on this, and while they are all not necessarily conclusive the direction is clear.

If you really are a skeptic, then spend some time reading those reports which have been posted on TUG about masks. There have been some good ones in just the last couple of weeks including a recent one which indicates that the current belief is that the majority of covid spread is person to person, not by touching something. This means that mask wearing is even more important than we thought a month or two ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Don’t let an anonymous online quote stop you from protecting yourself. Actually, I don’t know what’s worse...not wearing a mask because of an online anonymous comment or encouraging others to question the veracity of mask wearing.

As of now, it’s obvious that the scientific community consensus is to wear a mask. There have been numerous reports on this, and while they are all not necessarily conclusive the direction is clear.

If you really are a skeptic, then spend some time reading those reports which have been posted on TUG about masks. There have been some good ones in just the last couple of weeks including a recent one which indicates that the current belief is that the majority of covid spread is person to person, not by touching something. This means that mask wearing is even more important than we thought a month or two ago.

Thanks @Ken555 Your response is reassuring to me. Like I said, I have always worn a mask. I was finally starting to believe this was the right thing to do, thanks to all the posts by Tuggers and all the articles supporting new research showing they work. In fact, I have become a mask proponent and have been encouraging my friends and family to wear masks. I felt like a hypocrite telling others to wear masks if I was a skeptic but I did so anyway. The good thing about my skepticism is that is has helped me have compassion and empathy for the maskless. I think some maskless people are confused by the inconsistent messaging since March, as well as watching our leaders go maskless. I just stay away from maskless people and assume they are poorly educated. I know many people are angry at the anti-maskers because they put others lives at risk. I get this but it is fruitless to be angry when you can’t change them. Being angry does not keep you or others safe. It just raises blood pressure, which is a risk factor for covid. I figure that covid probably does not spread if I stay far away from a maskless person. That is what I do to keep myself safe. Now if I were stuck inside a plane or somewhere else where I can’t safely social distance, then I would be angry and complain to the business for allowing the maskless person into my airspace.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Thanks @Ken555 Your response is reassuring to me. Like I said, I have always worn a mask. I was finally starting to believe this was the right thing to do, thanks to all the posts by Tuggers and all the articles supporting new research showing they work. In fact, I have become a mask proponent and have been encouraging my friends and family to wear masks. I felt like a hypocrite telling others to wear masks if I was a skeptic but I did so anyway. The good thing about my skepticism is that is has helped me have compassion and empathy for the maskless. I think some maskless people are confused by the inconsistent messaging since March, as well as watching our leaders go maskless. I just stay away from maskless people and assume they are poorly educated. I know many people are angry at the anti-maskers because they put others lives at risk. I get this but it is fruitless to be angry when you can’t change them. Being angry does not keep you or others safe. It just raises blood pressure, which is a risk factor for covid. I figure that covid probably does not spread if I stay far away from a maskless person. That is what I do to keep myself safe. Now if I were stuck inside a plane or somewhere else where I can’t safely social distance, then I would be angry and complain to the business for allowing the maskless person into my airspace.
From reading and talking to others I have heard some of those that choose not to wear masks believe they are at low risk and have accepted they can get it and will be ok, others believe it does not help at all, some think social distancing is enough, or just are in denial that the risk is out there.

With cases rising significantly where I live, it still surprises me that where I live, in a 50+ community, that I have only seen one other person wear a mask when going into our indoor mail room. It is a small area where social distancing can be hard.

My block association is doing a July 4 party at an owners house in their backyard, saying if you are high risk not to come. Many are and still participate in activities like this. Impossible to keep social distance parameters.

I believe many have accepted life must go on, which I have, and whatever happens happens. My concern is still for the elderly and medically compromised. I fear once it reaches a few in my community, statistically it will, it will spread quickly here. Even though half my community is young the other half isn’, Imo a disaster in the making.

Meanwhile I wear my mask. I always did as I felt if it helped great, if it didn’t the only inconvenience was wearing it. More recently from my readings I am convinced it helps and the inconvenience is ok. I realize the trend now is not to wear a mask. even though I cannot understand it, I accept it, the freedom of choice. The vulnerable must be very careful, still I feel they are becoming the forgotten.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Panina masks are mandatory now in California so our trend is to wear a mask. Yet I saw about 25% of people going maskless yesterday and breaking the law. I also saw a petition to recall our Governor for making masks mandatory. I saw maskless people signing it. I doubt our county is going to enforce the law. We are in a rural area where people want their freedom of choice. The cases in Placer County are rising but they are concentrated in the suburb of Roseville. We had our first Covid case in our golf course community this week. The club released some information because they have gotten so many questions. I suspect we will have better compliance in our club now. I suspect there is more compliance with the law in the Bay Area, LA, SF and San Diego. My friends and employees in the Bay Area are all mask wearers.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If we are now to wear masks and none are available to purchase where would we get them from?
I have used two varieties of masks, but the ones given below were far superior as far as ease of use and not fogging up my glasses. The company is a private clothing manufacture, but as the link says, for every five masks purchased, they donate two to the U of Michigan hospital. I have put in two orders (originally you could order just two at a time and one went to my wife and one to me, but they worked so well, we wanted others so we could keep them washed). In both cases, the order was put in, the masks were mailed within one or two days and we got the masks well within a week.

https://stateandliberty.com/collections/athletic-fit-dress-shirts/products/the-mask-2-pack

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Panina masks are mandatory now in California so our trend is to wear a mask. Yet I saw about 25% of people going maskless yesterday and breaking the law. I also saw a petition to recall our Governor for making masks mandatory. I saw maskless people signing it. I doubt our county is going to enforce the law. We are in a rural area where people want their freedom of choice. The cases in Placer County are rising but they are concentrated in the suburb of Roseville. We had our first Covid case in our golf course community this week. The club released some information because they have gotten so many questions. I suspect we will have better compliance in our club now. I suspect there is more compliance with the law in the Bay Area, LA, SF and San Diego. My friends and employees in the Bay Area are all mask wearers.
I'm too lazy to research this right now, but is the mask-thing in California law or an Executive Order?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm too lazy to research this right now, but is the mask-thing in California law or an Executive Order?

I think you might be right. It may be an Executive Order and not a law. I need to look it up. I am not sure how they are enforcing it. It is not a law like a seatbelt or driving sober so it must be an executive order. Maybe it is unenforceable. Then why do they want to recall the governor?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you might be right. It may be an Executive Order and not a law. I need to look it up. I am not sure how they are enforcing it. It is not a law like a seatbelt or driving sober so it must be an executive order. Maybe it is unenforceable. Then why do they want to recall the governor?
If this is an EO, the enforcement often times becomes up to local jurisdictions. Certain counties or municipal PDs might say "I'm not enforcing this". But either way, the EO gives more assistance to stores, establishments that want to have masks present.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

The quote I posted was from a woman who I used to work with. A PA. I know her and I respect her. She’s very smart and would never make something like this up. The other comment was from a very good friend of hers.

She was just sharing her experirnce that is all and I thought it was interesting.

BTW- Outside of work she does what I do. She wears masks in public buildings, but not outside.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
From reading and talking to others I have heard some of those that choose not to wear masks believe they are at low risk and have accepted they can get it and will be ok, others believe it does not help at all, some think social distancing is enough, or just are in denial that the risk is out there.

With cases rising significantly where I live, it still surprises me that where I live, in a 50+ community, that I have only seen one other person wear a mask when going into our indoor mail room. It is a small area where social distancing can be hard.

My block association is doing a July 4 party at an owners house in their backyard, saying if you are high risk not to come. Many are and still participate in activities like this. Impossible to keep social distance parameters.

I believe many have accepted life must go on, which I have, and whatever happens happens. My concern is still for the elderly and medically compromised. I fear once it reaches a few in my community, statistically it will, it will spread quickly here. Even though half my community is young the other half isn’, Imo a disaster in the making.

Meanwhile I wear my mask. I always did as I felt if it helped great, if it didn’t the only inconvenience was wearing it. More recently from my readings I am convinced it helps and the inconvenience is ok. I realize the trend now is not to wear a mask. even though I cannot understand it, I accept it, the freedom of choice. The vulnerable must be very careful, still I feel they are becoming the forgotten.

I must admit myself and most all the people in our community do not use masks to retrieve their mail in the clubhouse. But it is rare more than 2 or 3 people in there at a time anyway so easy to distance.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
As I mentioned before, I wear a simple mask in buildings. I do not wear it outside. I wash my hands. That’s it. I don’t get crazy about it.

I am a sales rep .
I am again making customer visits (as they reopen) .
I wear a mask when I am in a customers business location.

In Canada - when you visit someone’s house you take your shoes off at the front door.
[to prevent tracking in snow muck etc. / & no -it does not snow 12 month’s a year]

I am treating my sales calls on customers in that vein.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The quote I posted was from a woman who I used to work with. A PA. I know her and I respect her. She’s very smart and would never make something like this up. The other comment was from a very good friend of hers.

She was just sharing her experirnce that is all and I thought it was interesting.

BTW- Outside of work she does what I do. She wears masks in public buildings, but not outside.

Do you respect any others who say that mask wearing is important?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Do you respect any others who say that mask wearing is important?

Of course. Why would you even ask that question? I wear a mask myself. So does she!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Of course. Why would you even ask that question? I wear a mask myself. So does she!

Well, you felt compelled to post her questionable comment on TUG, so it was an honest question. It sounds like she’s still not sure what is correct.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Well, you felt compelled to post her questionable comment on TUG, so it was an honest question. It sounds like she’s still not sure what is correct.

I think many are not sure what is correct. The flip flop from the start made it confusing and once someone believes something it is often hard to change their mind.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have and continue to read articles from reliable sources about how to beat this virus. Some make sense to me and others do not.
Personally I will do anything I can to avoid getting this virus. It scares the living daylights out of me what happens when people contract this virus. Some people just seem to get flu-like symptoms and are sick for a week, others are so sick, are in bed and on a ventilator for 3 or 4 weeks, lose a tremendous amount of weight and then it can take months to get back to normal.
I am not willing to put myself in that situation. So I wash my hands often, wear a mask all the time unless I am walking around in my neighborhood where I usually only encounter one or two people, and do not attend friends or family gatherings larger than 5 people.
Our rate of infection in this region where I live (Halton Region), is going down and is very low. Right now there are too many regions and countries that have relaxed their restrictions and their rates of infection are rising in the thousands every day.
I am sorry, but I just do not get it. What is the big deal if we all have to wear masks for a while? So the info that has come from healthcare providers has changed, that does not mean recommendations are wrong or should not be adjusted.