• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Face masks and coronavirus: Asia may have been right and the rest of the world is coming around

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am scared to look at the news. It seems like we are not out of wave 1 of Covid. I just heard that Southern Cal is having a resurgence of cases. I am trying to plan some 2020 - 2022 travel and I feel stuck with driving trips.

I’m not planning any trips. I’m actually just waiting to cancel them.

And yes, opening up increased the spread. This was exactly as predicted by anyone with a modicum of belief in science.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

And yes, opening up increased the spread. This was exactly as predicted by anyone with a modicum of belief in science.

We've cancelled everything. Dd and I moved our river cruise from 2021 to 2022. And no new trips are being planned. Luckily we really like where we live. :cool:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
TravelTime, I hear you! DH and I were just online, going over travel options for the next two years without booking a thing. We have so many air miles, Hilton, Marriott, and Vistana points, and banked weeks from cancelled vacations in Interval and RCI - and nowhere to go!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
TravelTime, I hear you! DH and I were just online, going over travel options for the next two years without booking a thing. We have so many air miles, Hilton, Marriott, and Vistana points, and banked weeks from cancelled vacations in Interval and RCI - and nowhere to go!

This reminds me... I have five free hotel nights now starting to expire in January, and earning more next year. And about eight weeks at II plus banked StarOptions so I have ~296k for 2021 and two long cruises booked... hopefully I’ll feel more comfortable traveling next year and hopefully my business will still be around by then so I can afford to go! (My business has taken a huge hit in the last few months, and I’m beginning to wonder how well it will survive...).

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

I also thought the spread would increase with opening up.The SIP/SAH from March to now was not sustainable over the long term. People thought it was a short term sacrifice so they were willing to stay home but now they are done with it. I think the USA needs a strategy for the rest of this 2020 and into 2021 on how we can reasonably live with Covid. The SIP from March through June made sense as an emergency measure but it can't go on for years. People will not comply indefinitely. Some of us have the luxury of having jobs that we can do from home indefinitely but most people can't do that. It is either go back to work and risk getting sick or stay at home and be unemployed or go bankrupt. The other thing is human beings are social animals. We can't expect people to isolate from family and friends indefinitely. That is probably the hardest part for everyone and why we are seeing families and groups of friends starting to meet.

I think big gatherings should be canceled into 2021 for sure. No need for rallies. I believe In the right to peacefully protest and the government needs to require social distancing and masks if people are to peacefully protest. We need a long term covid strategy that accommodates people to the best of its ability. I feel like the government is making it up as we go. Have you heard of any state with a sustainable covid strategy?

Traveling or going to restaurants is the least of my concerns. Frankly, my DH and I are in the lucky group where we can work from home indefinitely. The only thing we lose now is if travel closes down again, we lose all our weeks and points and will need to pay more MFs in 2021 and lose them too. This is a time when owning timeshares is a loss. But it is the least of my worries. I lost a lot more in March when we canceled our home purchase due to covid. My business almost went bankrupt too in March but I figured out how to make it work from home. So losing travel and paying more MFs feels like nothing.

I was being patient and accommodating until now. I am more concerned about others in society than ourselves. We are privileged to work from home and to have savings to get us through 2020 and 2021. We can afford our travel losses but many people are panicked about losing their travel dollars.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Covid cases jumped after Memorial Day weekend. I am really worried about July 4th weekend. More people will be traveling with kids out of school. Many vacation spots are booked with travelers, like Lake Tahoe in CA and HHI in SC, and elsewhere from what I hear. We are staying home that weekend and have some close friends visiting. We will just hangout, barbecue, go in the pool. The other family has also been staying home and wearing masks when they go out so we feel we are on the same page. I really think the reopening was poorly planned. We were not out of phase 1 when we reopened. All that hard work was lost.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I found this interesting. The comments are also worthwhile, especially the video news segment from Spokane where the reporter did tests of sneezing, coughing, talking, singing with and without a mask.

I’m sure this is not a 100% accurate test, but it’s certainly indicative of the effectiveness of masks.