• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

experienced renters help me check...:)

ushulu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Experienced timeshare renters...need some opinion and help here:) Thank you in advance!

I am renting a timeshare unit for the first time in my life through homeaway.com --feel scared.
the travel dates are in next Jan. the cancellation policy says: 30 days prior to check in can cancel for 100% refund. After that, I can't cancel or I will lose my funds.

I contacted the resort/timeshare, they told me they can't verify anything for me, even if the person is an owner.
I asked the owner to forward reservation confirmation, he told me he won't transfer the unit under my name till next Jan because things can happen, and people cancel a lot.

So sounds like I can't verify anything till after my cancellation period...honestly, the worst thing I worry is by Jan...I find out this is not real and I can't find anything to rent or I have to pay sky high price....

Let me know what you think...:) Thank you so much!
PS: I did not receive any rental agreement or contract or anything...it is just homeaway.com...I contact owner a few times asking questions, and he answered my questions and I booked checked out through homeaway (glad not sending a check or something)....

Thank you :)

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
You have some time to look for alternatives. Search and put in a Wish Ad on the Marketplace here on TUG (www.tug2.com). Search RedWeek.com and Craig's List. I'd say ebay but it's probably a bit early for January 2019 units to be listed on ebay.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The above poster has a REAL experience in rental units ... GOOD ADVICE.

Another thing about renting a January unit ... exp a fixed week. The owner most likely has to have MFs current for you (a guest) to checkin .. as F/W, the MFs usually are DUE on January 1st. Points systems are a little different .. there can NOT be a lock on the account.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would look for another rental. There are better choices as stated above. If the owner won't transfer unit in your name until January, is that when payment is expected or have you already paid? As you stated, if you wait until January it will likely be too late to find something. When I rent out my units I ask for a deposit then send a confirmation in renter's name so they can call the resort and confirm that I own the reservation. I also use a rental agreement so the renter has all details in writing including my cancellation policy. I prefer to use Redweek for my rentals, and would never use home-away because of their fee structure.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Problem I see is the 100% within the thirty day money back guarantee. If a better deal is found who wouldn't jump ship and cancel. Probably cost money for each guest reservation.

Without that the vacation would be paid in full, no cancellations allowed, and you could insure your stay with outside insurance.(normal protocol ) At this time your name could be on the reservation and everybody would be happy.

Just my though, they cost enough without the scramble of finding someone else at the last minute, and paying for another guest.

I won't put a reservation in the guest name till it's paid in full. I will give you the reservation info in my name for you to call and verify. Special order reservations need to be paid in full before I would book. With a full refund if I can't book what you wanted at the time. This still comes down to trust on both sides.

Dave

Last edited:

ushulu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid 50% and another 50% due in Dec. I paid through HomeAway.com

QUOTE="1st Class, post: 2126671, member: 12582"]I would look for another rental. There are better choices as stated above. If the owner won't transfer unit in your name until January, is that when payment is expected or have you already paid? As you stated, if you wait until January it will likely be too late to find something. When I rent out my units I ask for a deposit then send a confirmation in renter's name so they can call the resort and confirm that I own the reservation. I also use a rental agreement so the renter has all details in writing including my cancellation policy. I prefer to use Redweek for my rentals, and would never use home-away because of their fee structure.[/QUOTE]

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

ushulu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I looked...there is another thing strange

I only need 5 nights. It is a Westin timeshare. I see everywhere is 7 nights but she said 5 nights is fine....that makes me worry too

Like everything is too good to be true?
I also wonder like I asked here before if I buy a timeshare now and I wants to book Jan 2019, people are telling me probably not gona get it...i wonders how she can get it...

Oh by the way, I am renting a Westin nanea , and I was thinking of purchasing Marriott Maui ocean club...but I would assume they shall be roughly same “hot”:)

Problem I see is the 100% within the thirty day money back guarantee. If a better deal is found who wouldn't jump ship and cancel. Probably cost money for each guest reservation.

Without that the vacation would be paid in full, no cancellations allowed, and you could insure your stay with outside insurance.(normal protocol ) At this time your name could be on the reservation and everybody would be happy.

Just my though, they cost enough without the scramble of finding someone else at the last minute, and paying for another guest.

I won't put a reservation in the guest name till it's paid in full. I will give you the reservation info in my name for you to call and verify. Special order reservations need to be paid in full before I would book. With a full refund if I can't book what you wanted at the time. This still comes down to trust on both sides.

Dave
This would be a deal killer for me - you could end up in Jan. with no rental!

Have you looked at www.redweek.com and the TUG Marketplace?

Have you read this article about how to rent without getting ripped off?

https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ntal-is-legit-when-you-are-the-renter.109479/

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
My sister just rented a house thru HomeAway. She was given lots of info on the owner beforehand. She is pleased with her vacation rental. They should give you more info.
Silentg

ushulu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called them this morning
I ask
1, since this rental has 0 reviews, I want to know if this owner has rented out before and received no complaints. The stupid customer service tells me she is a member since 2016. So don’t worry! I said I am a member since 2015. I’ve never owned or rented out any timeshare. The time she registered doesn’t matter. The customer service goes back: don’t worry! She is here since 2016.
2, I ask how does Home away pay owner? Now? Or after I complete my trip? He said: yes we pay owner. I ask again when? He blablabla I cant understand a word
3, I ask how HomeAway guarantee if it is a fraud. He said they will pay me full amount including service fee back. Sounds too good to be true.

I wrote them an email after the unclear / frustrating phone call. No response so far.

My sister just rented a house thru HomeAway. She was given lots of info on the owner beforehand. She is pleased with her vacation rental. They should give you more info.
Silentg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
With Vistana, you cannot reserve 5 nights until 8 months before check-in, which is May, so she doesn't have the reservation yet, and doesn't know if she can get it.

Please click on my blue user name, then click START A CONVERSATION, and send me all the details of exactly what you are renting, and I will check availability for you - just for your own info.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
With Vistana, you cannot reserve 5 nights until 8 months before check-in, which is May, so she doesn't have the reservation yet, and doesn't know if she can get it.

Please click on my blue user name, then click START A CONVERSATION, and send me all the details of exactly what you are renting, and I will check availability for you - just for your own info.

Isn't Westin Nanea sold as points and not weeks with just a view designation? If that is so than I believe they can reserve as many or as few nights as they want at 12 months as long as they are current use year points.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
True, but I suspect tht this is a Staroption reservation, because of the nature of the offer, and because the price is low. Or maybe it's just a scam.

Last edited:

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
This situation sounds like trouble. Why would you send $$$ to someone who refuses to send written confirmation? There are other owners who are much easier and safer to deal with. I would request a full refund and find another rental via Redweek or TUG. Your concerns are valid and the Home-away rep's reply to you does not fill me with confidence in their service.

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I rent my timeshare out all the time. I rent them on Redweek.com. I get paid upfront. I send my guest a confirmation from the resort in his/her name. I send a rental agreement. I do not do cancellations (much like airplane tickets are not refundable). I often do rentals a full year ahead of check-in.

The way this rental was presented would force me to run for the hills