• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone have something nice to say [about Mayan Palace] ???

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
You are welcome. Which resort are you referring to?
There is no such word as "problemo". It is "problema".

The Luxxe link. It looks like a great place in Nuevo Vallarta if :
1. The parking garage is not out in front of the north wing of thr GM. If a person has to check in at the GM lobby it would take at leasy 45 minutes to check in.
2. The building is square so some rooms will not have a bay view. I dont care how nice the room is if the view is the service road.
3. I like this side of the Mayan properties near the adult pool.

Even though your right many gringos say no problemo and every one understands them just fine.

g rated link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oFqnIXSM64&NR=1

no problemo es argo para no hay problema. hasta la vista baby

pg rated link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm24lWSu-aE

Last edited:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
One thing that is left out of all the calculations of the cost of a week at any resort is the ongoing, ever-increasing maintenance fees. In another post above, those fees could be $1500 for a 2 bedroom and $800 for a one bedroom.

I didn't take maintenance fees into my quick calculations, either. When I assumed that the OP paid $60,000 for a ten year ownership of one week a year, I just divided by 10 to get a yearly cost of $6000. So if she gets two weeks a year it makes it $3000 and if she gets four weeks it makes it $1500. But you have to add the maintenance fee to each of those weeks, and those fees are sure to go up every year.

For me, the calculations were rather straightforward when I decided to upgrade. I know how much I budget for vacations every year; my goal is to get as much vacation value possible for those dollars. i am willing to spend $ up front if the cost savings of each vacation will pay back in a reasonable period. Savings is more than just the room; free golf and other amenities also count. In my case, we are able to vacation twice as much on the same dollars and with the level of luxury we like. Everybody's situation will be different.

In the case of the Grand Luxxe villa, we effectively have 6 weeks a year to use as we can split and mix. Seldom will we need the whole thing. For us, it was important to have the feature of no MF unless we use to make our calculations work as we don't want to feel a hostage to a yearly obligation.

Mike

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Confirming what I said about trading into this resort or renting, 56 Grand Luxxe weeks were just deposited in II...

There are also Getaways for $257 a week - that's $36.71 a night.

So much for "exclusive." I can use a 1 bdm. with a maintenance fee of $700 and trade into a 2 bdm. that sleeps 6.

Last edited:

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though your right many gringos say no problemo and every one understands them just fine. g rated link [url said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oFqnIXSM64&NR=1[/url]

no problemo es argo para no hay problema. hasta la vista baby

pg rated link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm24lWSu-aE

You are correct. We have taken this word/ phrase and for lack of a better word, we have "Englishised" it to make it sound better to most of us. Kinda, like you know, slang. If fact, I have only heard it pronounced with the "O" at the end by both gringos and latinos. Or is it gringas and latinas? I give up.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It has been expressed by some that this resort would be difficult or impossible to exchange into, or that low cost rentals are not avaialble - supporting the idea that you need to buy there to go there.

I'm just pointing out that you can exchange in, or rent a Getaway, for a fraction of the cost of buying.

Tropical lady

Reaction score
answering comments....

Pat H,
In post #91 I did mention that we took the initial cost for that level plus the weeks of use WITH THE ASSOCIATED MF'S, etc, etc, to determine if it was worthwhile for us. Just as Mikenk posted.
Karen G,
My comment to Dolly was to go back to Karen Rose to clarify what was contained in her rescinded contract so that going forward, by understanding that program and what she learns on TUG for general t/s information, she can better decide what is the best for her.

Tropical lady

Reaction score
don't think so....

Denise,
I have not read that this resort would be difficult to exchange into. The units are still being built and availability might be limited for the short term.
What WAS mentioned that because of the "no mandatory mf unless use" waiver, the motivation to sell in this down market is decreased since there is no yearly mf bill.
I don't think anyone mentioned that this level in this t/s company is any different from any other t/s for accessibility, rentals, or some getaway weeks.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
The Grand Luxxe trades through II only. i wouldn't think (but don't know for sure) that the other amenities (etc. free golf / massages) transfer on an exchange. I do believe that the II arrangement is unfair for GL owners at this point in time; I complain about this every time I visit.

If I trade in my unit, I lose the golf and massages - so not worth it for me to exchange. this is not huge for us since we signed up to use not trade, but still not fair overall; i hope Grupo Mayan is reconsidering this arrangement.

It appears theat GM independently gives GL units to II. I have no problem as long as the owners can get what they want during this growing phase. I hope GM is monitoring this closely. Any comments for us owners from Karen Rose would be welcome regarding the II policy.

Mike

Last edited:

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The Grand Luxxe trades through II only. i wouldn't think (but don't know for sure) that the other amenities (etc. free golf / massages) transfer on an exchange. I do believe that the II arrangement is unfair for GL owners at this point in time; I complain about this every time I visit.

If I trade in my unit, I lose the golf and massages - so not worth it for me to exchange. this is not huge for us since we signed up to use not trade, but still not fair overall; i hope Grupo Mayan is reconsidering this arrangement.

It appears theat GM independently gives GL units to II. I have no problem as long as the owners can get what they want during this growing phase. I hope GM is monitoring this closely. Any comments for us owners from Karen Rose would be welcome regarding the II policy.

Mike

The Grand Luxxe also trades through SFX. I did an on-line search on SFX earlier today and there are quite a few Grand Luxxe 2BR and 1BR weeks available. Grupo Mayan is affiliated with SFX. These are probably developer weeks though I am not certain of that. I wasn't searching for the Grand Luxxe. They just came up when I was searching all resorts. One big advantage to exchanging for them through SFX is I can request it up to 18 months in advance.

Last edited:

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You are correct. We have taken this word/ phrase and for lack of a better word, we have "Englishised" it to make it sound better to most of us. Kinda, like you know, slang. If fact, I have only heard it pronounced with the "O" at the end by both gringos and latinos. Or is it gringas and latinas? I give up.

I am fluent in Spanish, my wife is Mexican and I lived in Mexico and Venezuela. I have never heard nor seen anybody that speaks Spanish ever say "problemo". The word does not exist in the Spanish language.

There are both Gringos/Latinos and Gringas/Latinas. The former refers to males and the latter to females.

I would love to know why you think "problemo" sounds better than "problema". This is not slang, it is just incorrect.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I am fluent in Spanish, my wife is Mexican and I lived in Mexico and Venezuela. I have never heard nor seen anybody that speaks Spanish ever say "problemo". The word does not exist in the Spanish language.

There are both Gringos/Latinos and Gringas/Latinas. The former refers to males and the latter to females.

I would love to know why you think "problemo" sounds better than "problema". This is not slang, it is just incorrect.
Well, there is no such word as "shux" either, but I don't see you jumping down Alan's throat whenever he says that.

Lighten up a bit. Good grief. TUG is no place for the spelling police.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

dollydaydream

Reaction score
Question.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all, Karen and Denise and many others have been great, I have had little sleep since joining this group but I now feel better equiped to deal with my situation. I am currently in Lake Chapala and have met some fellow Canadians, I spoke of my purchase etc. and they have told me about this amazing travel club which they belong to and it costs very little about $300 US a year !!!!!! you can use ALL timeshare company exchange weeks and a lot more..... it is called Worldventures, does anyone have any information or opinion about them please?
You do not have to buy, they do operate a multi level marketing program which I have no interest in, for me like Amway, I became a distributor just because I wanted the products and I still buy them but I never got anyone apart from my brother to join up.

I did sleep last night and am enjoying this last part of my holiday up in the Mexican mountains.

kind regards

Dolly

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Travel Clubs are a scam - do NOT buy in. Wait until you get home and have time to do your homework! All these travel clubs have is left over exchanges that no one else wants.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well, there is no such word as "shux" either, but I don't see you jumping down Alan's throat whenever he says that.

Lighten up a bit. Good grief. TUG is no place for the spelling police.

Allan can speak English however he wants.

Look, it is not my intention to offend anybody nor be the spelling police.

I was hoping that it would be taken in the spirit in which I offered it which was to hope that people may learn something about Spanish. Many people seem to like to inject some Spanish words into their posts for whatever reason. I just thought they may like to know what is the correct way to say it. If they don't want to learn, so be it.

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
well..

as far as travel club weeks go..I bet the II-luxxe weeks are (OFF) weeks as well....Denise

The point in owning a property such as the luxxe,is as a part of a lifestyle..people who buy top tier product,want to be able to ACTUALLY Use thier weeks each year..winter time preferably...trying to luck into a grand luxxe will not be easy and most likely NOT be an ongoing offering..

I will tell you that the only reason this II deal was made,was a limited contract for exposure...

The small total # of luxxe units that will be available for use in totality, in any year,will confirm this..couple this with the ongoing multiples of new contract owners coming online daily,and you have a lot of folks fighting for time...

also..I would bet II has adopted the RCI new trading resort ranking..Where a lowly property..(NOT EVEN BASED ON B-ROOMS)..comes into play..

This means that Denises unit will not be even considered as an appropriate trade..They will not make it ,Even if they have availability...

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also..I would bet II has adopted the RCI new trading resort ranking..where a lowly property..(NOT EVEN BASED ON B-ROOMS)..comes into play.

This means that Denise's unit will not be even considered as an appropriate trade..They will not make it, even if they have availability...

Sally, you are so funny. I own 3 Starwood timeshares, and I can see everything in II with them. II has always ranked resorts. You may not be aware, but RCI has gone to an all points system, which is completely different than II.

As far as travel club weeks go..I bet the II-Luxxe weeks are (OFF) weeks as well....Denise

Actually, the 56 weeks were spread over 7 mos. - quite a nice range of date choices - April through Dec.

Trying to luck into a Grand Luxxe will not be easy and most likely NOT be an ongoing offering..

I'll take that bet - I think we will see lots of ongoing deposits from Grand Luxxe:
1) Travel to Mexico is very depressed
2) The retail price for these units is high
3) The economy is bad
4) People are afraid of violence and disease in Mexico
5) People are (rightly) afraid of being scammed by TS sales people in Mexico

You made the EXACT same prediction about trading into the top tier Mexican timeshares 5 years ago - and you lost that bet, too. It's easier than ever to trade into Mexico.

The point in owning a property such as the Luxxe, is as a part of a lifestyle..

So let's see - I can spend $60,000 and "buy the lifestyle" or I can trade my $700 a year TS and get the exact same unit....

I think I will save $59,300 and not "buy the lifestyle."

Last edited:

Rubin I

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mayan resorts are GREAT places to vacation. The resorts are well kept, pools are fantastic, rooms ( 2bedroom ) is large. We've been members since 2002.

The issue(s) (I believe) is their time share presentation and multiple claims that are simply NOT true, or are they? Because you never know, and neither does anyone else. Other bothersome issues include their building practices, for example they've been building a resort in Argentina for years, have no idea if any progress has been made (and I am a member). They keep changing their concept and they market it well. First Mayan Palace was tops, then it became Grand Mayan, now it's Bliss or LUXX. They are building a resort in Hawaii, or are they?

Use Mayan resorts for a nice relaxing vacation, avoid their restauramts, food is overpriced and oily. :whoopie: My advice is avoid the time share presentation, and enjoy your vacation. that is unless they give you a great deal, so if they say 500 pesos off your bill, ask for 1500 (I am serious). BEWARE: If you go to presentation, you are there for 3 hrs.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Mayan resorts are GREAT places to vacation. The resorts are well kept, pools are fantastic, rooms ( 2bedroom ) is large. We've been members since 2002.

The issue(s) (I believe) is their time share presentation and multiple claims that are simply NOT true, or are they? Because you never know, and neither does anyone else. Other bothersome issues include their building practices, for example they've been building a resort in Argentina for years, have no idea if any progress has been made (and I am a member). They keep changing their concept and they market it well. First Mayan Palace was tops, then it became Grand Mayan, now it's Bliss or LUXX. They are building a resort in Hawaii, or are they?

Use Mayan resorts for a nice relaxing vacation, avoid their restauramts, food is overpriced and oily. :whoopie: My advice is avoid the time share presentation, and enjoy your vacation. that is unless they give you a great deal, so if they say 500 pesos off your bill, ask for 1500 (I am serious). BEWARE: If you go to presentation, you are there for 3 hrs.

Actually I have found the food very good.

Rubin I

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another question about Groupo Mayan

-Does anyone know the TRUE status of the Argentina Resort?
-Is it true that they've purchased and renovated a resort in Dominican republic?
-Are they ever going to build Bliss?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Rubin - A gentle suggestion. Rather than starting a new thread about Grupo Mayan, please post any additional comments in this thread. (I moved the post above to this thread.)

As far as the Bliss goes, as I recall it is partially open and a Tugger has stayed there?

Last edited: