• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone have something nice to say [about Mayan Palace] ???

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That won't be me - We don't do "resort activities" - reminds me too much of summer camp. I will be out at a local restaurant having a nice dinner with my husband and we will be discussing how nice timesharing is when it's free....

Denise,

Everybody has different opinions on what their ideal vacation is. Some like luxury resorts with all the services and others prefer something else. There is no right or wrong. Some people are willing and able to pay for that extra luxury while others aren't. You and many others appear to denigrate those that don't buy cheap. Some people want that extra luxury and that doesn't make them wrong. They just have different preferences and probably different financial situations.

I tend to agree with Sally13 in that we like luxury resorts and want that pampering and deluxe facilities. That is why we spend a lot of time in luxury hotels rather than timeshares. That is the reason why we like the Grand Mayans. The Grand Luxxe was not available when we spent all our time in the Grand Mayans. The Grand Mayan was their top tier resort. We never bought there because we didn't have to. We were able to exchange there as often as we wanted, and whenever we wanted. We no longer have any interest in going to Mexico.

One big difference between myself and Sally13 is I do not denigrate those that don't agree with me. You have your travel preferences and that is fine. Everybody should do whatever suits their preferences.

So the long and short of it is, it doesn't make it wrong for somebody to spend $60,000 if they can afford it, and that is the level of luxury they want to buy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi John - I don't object to the resort - it's not my cup of tea, but obviously lots of people love it. However, experience tells me that you can get the exact same product for less, by buying resale, or renting from an owner.

IMNSHO, buying from the developer, without exploring all the other options is a big mistake, and insisting that everyone should buy from the developer is ludicrous.

Last edited:

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi John - I don't object to the resort - it's not my cup of tea, but obviously lots of people love it. However, experience tells me that you can get the exact same product for less, by buying resale, or renting from an owner.

IMNSHO, buying from the developer, without exploring all the other options is a big mistake, and insisting that everyone should buy from the developer is ludicrous.

I agree with buying resale. However, in the case of the Grand Luxxe, I seriously doubt that there are any resales available because it is pretty new. If you break down the cost of all the weeks she is getting, it is unlikely that you could rent a comparable unit for much cheaper even if it was available.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think someone has already posted cheaper rentals in this thread?

I'm not an expert on Mexican timeshares, but at the Starwood timeshares (also high end) there are always resale available before a new resort even opens.

Tropical lady

Reaction score
Oooops!!

John,
Thanks for pointing out the typo.....would not want anyone to think that's how I spell problema!! I never professed my Spanish to be more than minimal.
Also, Dolly purchased, according to her info, 2 + 2 weeks or 4 weeks a year on an older contract since most new ones are 1 + 2, etc.
Denise,
The "cheaper rentals" on the thread were based on incorrect comparisons to Dollydaydreamer's info....the weeks/cost assumptions were not accurate. See my later posts to Pat H.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
John,

...Dolly purchased, according to her info, 2 + 2 weeks or 4 weeks a year on an older contract since most new ones are 1 + 2, etc.
Denise,
The "cheaper rentals" on the thread were based on incorrect comparisons to Dollydaydreamer's info....the weeks/cost assumptions were not accurate. See my later posts to Pat H.

This means that she has 40 weeks which is what I suspected. That is $1500 /week. I did a search for Grand Luxxe rentals and there are very few. Here is a 1BR Grand Luxxe rental for $2200 /week.

http://www.kokotravel.com/grandluxxecondorental.php

Again, I don't think that the price she paid is unreasonable considering what she got.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on Mexican timeshares, but at the Starwood timeshares (also high end) there are always resale available before a new resort even opens.

That is the problem you are having in understanding this. Mexico has luxury resorts far above anything in the US, Hawaii, or probably most anywhere. The Grand Luxxe is far above anything else. How many resorts have you been to with units that have 2700-3000 sq. ft. of pure luxury. You also have service that you find at a 5* luxury hotel resort. The Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace - Riviera Maya has 1500 employees that wait on you hand and foot. Couple that with free golf privileges that alone is worth several hundred dollars a week. Comparing a regular timeshare to it is like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Rolls Royce.

Here is what the units look like:

http://www.grandluxxe.com/gallery-suite.php

Then you have all the amenities of the resort.

I am not trying to sell you or anybody on it. My purpose is to show why the price is not that high for what she is getting. I realize that it is not everybody's cup of tea.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Denise,

Tropical lady,

Thanks for your explanation. Since you own three Grand Luxxe weeks, could you share with us how much M/F is per year? Or in the OP's case, how much M/F she needs to pay this year assuming she is going to use all four of her weeks in 2011?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Here is what the units look like:

http://www.grandluxxe.com/gallery-suite.php

Then you have all the amenities of the resort.

I am not trying to sell you or anybody on it. My purpose is to show why the price is not that high for what she is getting. I realize that it is not everybody's cup of tea.

Thanks for the link John. The Luxxe looks like a really nice place. Someday when we quit wandering around and just want to stay at a resort, something like this would be nice. I found it a problemo at the GM to get away from the resort. It took forever to get to the lobby.

rifleman69

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Grand Luxxe is very very nice! Was there back in April just before and during their actual opening. You will be treated like royalty there. I had to laugh at some of the prices many of the owners paid, sure it would be great to go back there each and every year but you can get it for much cheaper than anything they paid.

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
john...

In all things being truthfull...

I know you have come to witts with me..

But,I have to object to your thought process on the perception of how you are not like me...

I come here..I am abused in so many ways ,that I can not even count anymore...

I have always respected ones right to have an opinion..thats what makes the world so interesting!..It is those who do not respect my opinion ,that is my main issue ..and keeps me on the defense..

I have a differing view of timeshare..then most here..for this I am slammed relentlessly..even by the powers that be!!

I share deep thoughts,that are of VALUE to all who care to act on them..for this I get slammed even more..

I do appreciate you trying to clarify..you are wise in ways others are not..

I did not know tug was ONLY for bargain shoppers..If this is ALL tug is about...I am in the wrong place..

I never said I thought anyones ideas were wrong..just not the way I see it....You all share your mantra...I share mine...based on an EVER changing marketplace..

Oh and Denise...Mexico would not be an option for us ,without grupo Mayan food standards...I've been to a few ..(not so safe) eaterys all over Mexico..trust me ,making THIS your eating plan,is just plain foolish..If you think you have an iron gut...you have been lucky..your luck WILL run out....

even so..everyone eats at thier resort ,now and then....as always....Enjoy sundays breakfast meat,it was saturdays cocktail weenys!!:eek: ..very common at the more basic resorts...:)

Last edited:

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link John. The Luxxe looks like a really nice place. Someday when we quit wandering around and just want to stay at a resort, something like this would be nice. I found it a problemo at the GM to get away from the resort. It took forever to get to the lobby.

You are welcome. Which resort are you referring to?

There is no such word as "problemo". It is "problema".

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I did not know tug was ONLY for bargain shoppers..If this is ALL tug is about...I am in the wrong place..

Having been a member of TUG for 15+ years, I certainly see how you could get that impression. I always find it amusing when people compare a timeshare to Motel 6 like everybody stays in that class of hotel.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Yikes, this thread got active since I got on a plane to go overseas. I assumed from Dolly's early message that she had bought a Mayan Palace contract for that price, now I understand it is a Grand Luxxe contract. The recommendation to rescind was obvious before - not so obvious now. Tropical Lady has given some good information into this product and options.

Every Luxxe contract is largely different from others due to timing of purchase and negotiations. Most include free golf, free massages, but can also include "no MF unless you use", senior discounts, and other amenities. As an owner, you can rent your units with these amenities or transfer them, but if you sell on the open market, the amenities will be stripped away for the new owner. Assuming Dolly got all these amenities on her contract, then she will not have the option to buy them on the open market. I hope she contacts Karen Rose to really understand what she has and options.

One of the really great features in all GL contracts is flexibility for scheduling multiple weeks. A 2 bedroom GL suite is huge; you can easily split it and then book more space at any of the other Mayan resorts. For example, I traded my 1 bedroom Luxxe week for a two bedroom Grand Bliss unit in November (which is also luxury). That made the cost half of a GL MF for the week that includes all the free golf and massages. I am using the Luxxe lockoff in April which is still very large just for my wife and me.

Dolly. I apologize for my early recommendation on this thread to rescind as I really don't have enough information on your contract to know. Again, my advice is to talk with Karen Rose, but also read your contract and addenda really to understand what you have.

Mike

Last edited:

Tropical lady

Reaction score
not advocating one way or the other......

Lisa H,
I can't speak for Dollydaydreamer as her MF's probably are different from mine. I'm saying that because she stated she purchased an exisiting contract and I have no idea what year that contract is from. It seems to be older, maybe one of the first ones. Her MF's would start from that contract and probably are less than mine.
When we figured it out, our initial cost (not Dolly's) for that level over the expected years of use, plus weeks (remember, can be split to double the time) obtained with associated Mf's, the accompanying benefits, concierge, and maid service twice every day, has given my husband and I incredible vacation weeks. Wish we could afford to buy more!
There has to be a market for this level as I read here on TUG that the Royals (hope I'm correct on the company name) are involved in creating an upscale level for several hundred thousand dollars each....yikes! No company is going to invest money for all this if there is not a market.
No one can advocate for another's preference or pocket book, just advise with facts so that others are able to make their own decision.
Even if Dolly rescinded, it might be advantageous for her to still contact Karen Rose to understand what she had bought and the details, so that in the future IF she wants to, going forward on another purchase from the developer OR considering a resale, she knows the program and can decide what she wants.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
. . .
There has to be a market for this level as I read here on TUG that the Royals (hope I'm correct on the company name) are involved in creating an upscale level for several hundred thousand dollars each....yikes! No company is going to invest money for all this if there is not a market.. . .

The Royals are indeed creating an upscale level for several hundred thousand dollars each, but these are for a longer time frame. They're not catering to a vacationer for a few weeks each year, but for those who will be spending several months at their fractionally-owned vacation residence.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
If so then the price you paid is very reasonable for the type of luxury which the Grand Luxxe is.
One thing that is left out of all the calculations of the cost of a week at any resort is the ongoing, ever-increasing maintenance fees. In another post above, those fees could be $1500 for a 2 bedroom and $800 for a one bedroom.

I didn't take maintenance fees into my quick calculations, either. When I assumed that the OP paid $60,000 for a ten year ownership of one week a year, I just divided by 10 to get a yearly cost of $6000. So if she gets two weeks a year it makes it $3000 and if she gets four weeks it makes it $1500. But you have to add the maintenance fee to each of those weeks, and those fees are sure to go up every year.

As luxurious and special as the GM resorts look and sound, it would seem that they should sell themselves. Why is there such a disconnect between the sales tactics and the actual resort experience?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Dolly. I apologize for my early recommendation on this thread to rescind as I really don't have enough information on your contract to know.
Mike
Mike, didn't you buy resale yourself?

Lisa H,
Even if Dolly rescinded, it might be advantageous for her to still contact Karen Rose to understand what she had bought and the details, so that in the future IF she wants to, going forward on another purchase from the developer OR considering a resale, she knows the program and can decide what she wants.
When we advise people to rescind, this is why. Most people who regret buying from the developer and want out of their contract are people who bought without understanding what they were buying.

Tropical lady

Reaction score
Amen...

For those of us who enjoy the resort, we have always said that the resort sells itself with out all the high pressure some people experience. I already posted that in some previous controversial thread. I also know that I have addressed this during the infamous owner's update and others have as well.
Larger blocks of time can be purchased as fractional ownership, but they do allow smaller purchases. At first, you could only buy 4 week blocks although they were set up for several month blocks, but thankfully that changed for our benefit. I understand the Royals are going to do that too as was stated in the TUG thread about this.
If this isn't enough, Grupo Mayan is presently building, in the newest tower, 3 bedroom units, bigger than the GL, sold in blocks of time and have been selling very well for this early in the program. They are also involved with a high end luxury hotel that may be housed in the same building. It looks like the Royals are using the same concept? The market is apparantly driving all this contrary to how we feel about costs, resale, etc.
Karen G.....I did mention the associated MF's in post #91. I thought MF's were always in the equation, but the posts, I thought, were addressing the purchase price and how that affected the price per week.

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This means that she has 40 weeks which is what I suspected. That is $1500 /week. I did a search for Grand Luxxe rentals and there are very few. Here is a 1BR Grand Luxxe rental for $2200 /week.

http://www.kokotravel.com/grandluxxecondorental.php

Again, I don't think that the price she paid is unreasonable considering what she got.
But, John, you didn't consider the maintenance fee of that $1500 week. If the MF is $800, that makes the week's cost $2300 which is about the same price as the rental. Why buy when you can rent or trade in through SFX with no restrictions on the number of times you exchange into the resorts?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dolly - How about an update?

Have you gotten any response to your FAX from the resort?

Did you respond to the post from their Rep., Karen, above?

Inquiring minds want to know! :hi:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Mike, didn't you buy resale yourself?

When we advise people to rescind, this is why. Most people who regret buying from the developer and want out of their contract are people who bought without understanding what they were buying.

Yes, I bought my Grand Mayan unit from an individual. I then upgraded to the Grand Luxxe through the company negotiating with the Grupo Mayan member services people (like Karen Rose). That was a totally different and good experience - totally different from working with the contracted sales people.

In Dolly's case, I really don't know who she is talking with and the specifics of her contract to make a hard recommendation. My gut feel is she also doesn't fully understand it and probably should rescind, learn, but continue negotiating. I actually did rescind during my negotiations but we never quit talking until we were both happy with the results. I hope Karen Rose can help them get it sorted out.

Mike

rifleman69

TUG Member
Reaction score
But, John, you didn't consider the maintenance fee of that $1500 week. If the MF is $800, that makes the week's cost $2300 which is about the same price as the rental. Why buy when you can rent or trade in through SFX with no restrictions on the number of times you exchange into the resorts?

While there may be a few things that owners would receive than renters (it does happen), this is why we laughed at the prices many people paid for Grand Mayan and Grand Luxxe purchases. Just about every timeshare needs outsiders to trade in (so that they can try to sell them!!), sure the outsiders may be limited on when they can trade in (availability) but it can be done quite easily at most resorts.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Tropical Lady, I don't see any m/f's lsited in post 91. If I remember correctly, I was quoted around $1700/week for a 2 bdr.