• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone have something nice to say [about Mayan Palace] ???

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Dolly - They are professional liars - that's why you shouldn't contact them any more - the "Christian" line was just part of the set-up. They will say what ever it takes to keep you from rescinding.

Just rescind - and dispute it with your credit card company - just do it.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please don't be angry, I didn't call the sales office like you told me, this was the sales gal who got us the deal, she is a good christian girl. I cannot believe she is lieing to me.

I am now feeling sick about the whole thing.

Dolly

She may truly not know your rights under Mexican law. She may indeed be a good believer, but she is trying to make a living on commission. If you rescind, she loses income. Rescind anyway. This isn't charity. Rescind tomorrow. If you study up on what you want your vacations to be like, and it turns out you want to buy from a developer, this deal will still be there.

Rescind- send the letter saying that pursuant to Mexican law, you want to cancel this sale #xxxxxx. Send it certified and get a receipt so that you can challenge it later if need be. Challenge any charge on your credit card.

For the price difference between this and the same thing truly purchased resale you will be able to travel to your vacations and pay for many many massages and rounds of golf if that's your desire.

Good luck and best wishes.... Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
60k is a fair price...for THAT unit..

Advising someone to pay $60K for a timeshare, probably financed, is absolutely irresponsible.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Please don't be angry, I didn't call the sales office like you told me, this was the sales gal who got us the deal, she is a good christian girl. I cannot believe she is lieing to me.

Dolly

Dolly,

Even if you think it's too late, RECIND ANYWAY ASAP and threaten them with notifying Profeco if they refuse to cancel your membership!!!

For the kind of money you are risking, this is at least worth your try...

Good luck!!!

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Dolly,

In your contract will be the details how to rescind. Follow it exactly and quickly. Don't deal with the sales people; they actually don't work for the company. The resorts and service are great but as others have said you paid way too much.

Having rescinded, then you can start searching for resales which will get you into almost any timeshare pretty cheap. We did buy resale at Grand Mayan and have thoroughly enjoyed our vacations. A nice feature when buying into the system on resale is you will still get full credit for upgrades into things like "no maintenance fee unless you use" and other amenities not available on resale.

As John said earlier, rescind now, research, and then buy if you want but on your terms.

If you miss the window, don't fret too much; enjoy your great vacations for years to come. Last year, at one of the mayan resorts, I talked to a number of people who had bought at full price. They all knew they paid too much but all said that the money was not as important as the great vacations.

So, rescind if you can, but if not, enjoy the years of vacations. Shoot, I lost more than that many time over during the recession in the stupid stock market.

Mike

Last edited:

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Advising someone to pay $60K for a timeshare, probably financed, is absolutely irresponsible.

That is not necessarily true if she got a Grand Luxxe with the golf privileges etc. They are head and shoulders above anything else. I am sure you haven't seen them. The Grand Luxxe units are 2700-3000 sq. ft. of pure luxury.

http://www.grandluxxe.com/villas-and-suites.php

I seriously doubt that there are any resales on the open market at this time.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi John - It may be fabulous - but she bought a 10 year contract for $59,000. That's about $6,000 per week. I am sure that you can rent this for less.

I am very confused 59,000 US for 10 years of fabulous vacations

Plus - I know you could afford to buy there - if you think the Luxxe is a good deal, why haven't you bought there? ;)

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clarification of Resale

Having rescinded, then you can start searching for resales which will get you into almost any timeshare pretty cheap. We did buy resale at Grand Mayan and have thoroughly enjoyed our vacations.

You bought a resale - sort of - you bought THROUGH THE DEVELOPER. Maybe it was a resale in terms of someone else's foreclosure, but FROM THE DEVELOPER you are paying a premium.

The resale you should buy is directly from an owner - redweek, TUG, eBay.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It may be fabulous - but she bought a 10 year contract for $59,000. That's about $6,000 per week. I am sure that you can rent this for less.

Depends how many weeks she got. Many of the Mexican timeshares basically sell you a block of weeks to be used during a period of time like 10 years. You can use them however you want. She may have gotten many more than 10 weeks. If she only got 10 weeks then yes, it is a little high. However, $6,000 /week is not totally unreasonable for that type of luxury. Mexico is definitely not cheap in the resort areas. Condo prices are higher than in California.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What if she financed it - still a good deal?

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
...Plus - I know you could afford to buy there - if you think the Luxxe is a good deal, why haven't you bought there? ;)

For several reasons. I have said repeatedly that I would never buy a timeshare in Mexico. Second, all the amenities like golf etc, are of no use to us. We have no interest in vacationing in Mexico anymore. Last but not least, we intend to get out of timesharing as it no longer suits our travel preferences.

I didn't say it was a good deal. I simply said that for that type of luxury, the price is not totally unreasonable.

dollydaydream

Reaction score
I am going to recind !!!!!

Thanks everyone, for all your tips, I have faxed the Mayan a letter stating what you suggest re. 5 days and protecto...?? I have the fax receipt slip for proof. I am shocked to see that the check for the balance has already cleared !!!!!
Does anyone know about debit cards because I used my Scotiabank debit card for the down, that too has already been processed [at this point I have paid 100% of the contract].

Thanks

Dolly

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
Denise..

Irresponsible??

By who's book?? Yours??

If indeed she purchased the Luxxe unit, I would say she most likely recieved a 4 week yearly deal..as this is the common way they sell these units...The 10 year limit,...that is for preferred booking..she perhaps owns this 4 weeks a year,for many more years ,after the 10 year preferred booking is over.....NOW..thats alot of guessing...

Dolly should tell us exactly ,WHAT the contract says..

If she has the deal ,I think she does..she has a great property,in a great resort ,that to book on the open market on a yearly basis ,would eat up 60k,in no time at all...also..it will almost NEVER come up on resale (AS A CONTRACT)...

I believe only one has ever come up on Ebay as a divorce forced sale..

For you to call me names..without knowing ALL the facts is par for the course...could not resist..I bet..

Denise it is OK if you like your limited..(non-Mega) resort..If someone requires a larger,more lavish vacation,it is not up to YOU to tell them that they are making a poor deal,based on what YOU think is a good deal...like I said DOLLY needs to spell out,exactly what the contract says..

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone, for all your tips, I have faxed the Mayan a letter stating what you suggest re. 5 days and protecto...?? I have the fax receipt slip for proof. I am shocked to see that the check for the balance has already cleared !!!!!
Does anyone know about debit cards because I used my Scotiabank debit card for the down, that too has already been processed [at this point I have paid 100% of the contract].

Thanks

Dolly

Dolly - You need to call your bank and dispute all charges, and block any future charges.

Did you find any rescission instructions in your packet? Is FAX the preferred method?

Do not be surprised if they contact you with more reasons that you can't rescind. DON'T BELIEVE THEM!

Good luck!
Denise

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Irresponsible??

By who's book?? Yours??

Sally - Since you have already posted on TUG that you have problems paying your bills every month, I sure hope no one is taking financial advice from you.

Tropical lady

Reaction score
I am assuming that Dollydaydream's contract reflects what is being written now in most of the sales and that she purchased one (1) week for 10 years and two (2) weeks for 99 years, ie three (3) weeks a year for the first 10 years. That is why she mentioned a week for 10 years and, yes, that alone sounds outrageous for the money. We also do not know the level....Mayan Palace or Grand Luxxe or inbetween? This is just for clarification for the discussion, not for any controversy.
Resales are the way to go, if nothing else just make sure that those contracts contain the "no MF unless used" waiver. With this clause resulting in no out of pocket expense for not using the time, the motivation to sell in this depressed market is not there, so fewer resales.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I really doubt that Dolly bought 4 weeks at the Grand Luxxe for 60K. They quoted me $250K. They also told me 2 weeks at the GM was now selling for $80K. Now we all know they lie and the prices drop a LOT as you negotiate but I don't see that big a drop for the GL.

Dolly, can you tell us exactly what you bought? Follow up the FAX with a certified letter according to the rescind instructions.

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
advice...

Denise...you have such a LIMITED outlook...

If my $700 k (BIG CITY)..dwelling requires a yearly tax fee of $27 k...and my other homes and investments also require an ever increasing cost of holding...then yes ..in this,( punish those that have something era...).I DO think paying the bills is becoming a gargantuan task..

I could sell all of it ,and have NO problem sitting pretty in a paid off lower priced home..

But then I would be stuck with a bunch of quickly devaluing U.S. currency..

Not a good place to be...(you will note I said it would soon start with a huge price increase in oil...Denise you could have paid for a hundred GRAND LUXXES at $60 k..if you would have followed my timely advice on oil and invested accordingly....

By the way ..I did bet on the oil spike,and am having a ball...you should have listened,instead of deleting everything,that I wanted to share with the good folks of Tug...

I do know that folks come to tug for financial advice on timeshare..what is the point of knowing this ,if the medium of that price is not taken into account??

[deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks everyone, for all your tips, I have faxed the Mayan a letter stating what you suggest re. 5 days and protecto...??
Just to be safe, you should also send a certified letter, return receipt, as that is what PROFECO advises. I don't know if that type of mail is called by the same name in Canada, but you want something that requires the recipient of the mail to sign for it. The post office returns the card to you showing that it was received. It is urgent that you do this right away.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Dolly

PLEASE, ALSO send them a certified letter, return receipt requested- or whatever the Canadian Postal Service calls it- with the same information: "I wish to rescind contract #xxxx and have all money returned immediately", etc. etc. etc.

This just in case you have difficulty finding the instructions in your contract. They don't make it easy to find.

As to your initial question- "Does anyone have anything positive to say about Mayan Palace?" Yes. They are wonderful resorts. It's just their prices and strong-arm and deceitful sales practices that have earned them the LOWEST possible BBB rating from the U.S. Better Business Bureau.

Good luck and hurry to the Post Office! And as Denise and others have said, call your bank and CC carrier and contest the charges. Unfortunately, experience here has been that those entities have a vested interest in you charging large sales and generating payments for them.

Oh, ignore Sally13. She knows not of what she speaks. She is strongly suspected to be a shill for Grupo Mayan.

Jim Ricks

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dolly

Unfortunately, she was lieing to you. You have the right to recind!!!! She was trying to buy some time so you would be past the "right to recind".

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I DO think paying the bills is becoming a gargantuan task..

Sounds like you are over extended.

Because I'm cheap:

I have no debt except my home - by the way, we built it, and it's only 13 years old. It will be paid off in 4 years - I'm making double payments on a 15 year loan.
I drive a new car which I paid cash for.
We vacation 4-6 weeks a year in timeshares with no ongoing yearly cost - this year: 4 weeks in Hawaii, a week at Disneyland, and a week in Manhattan.
I save/invest more every month than I spend
I will retire at 75% of my current salary - without touching any investments.

So, no thank you, I don't think I need your financial advice.

Last edited:

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
well..Denise..

I was responding to your (do not listen to Sally,she is having trouble making her monthly bills.. jab..post..

this is what I get for sharing??

Trouble is a relative term..as in troubling,.....that costs of ownership has become ever larger..at a very quickened pace..

I would not worry about Sally being overextended...You and I Denise are not even close to being similar,in the net worth catagory..

As far as YOU not wanting to hear what I believe...I guess all tuggers are held hostage ,to what YOU feel is best for them...Sheesh!!

also ...good luck with the VALUE of that pension in coming years..as well as your other so called SAFE investment plans..

I did bring up a fact, about the VALUE of my correct,predicted,timely advice...This fact is something that you fail to address...

You and Jim, are a good team...

please help us....