• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone have something nice to say [about Mayan Palace] ???

dollydaydream

Reaction score
My Mayan Contract

Many people are interested in exactly what was sold to me at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya, I purchased a 2 plus 2 Grand Luxxe 2 bedroom for 10 years for $59,000.00 US
I was told that this was a incredible price because it was a foreclosure and it was only available for a cash purchaser.

Is that good? Why are there so many different prices?
Please tell me if you know.

Thank you

Dolly

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Many people are interested in exactly what was sold to me at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya, I purchased a 2 plus 2 Grand Luxxe 2 bedroom for 10 years for $59,000.00 US
I was told that this was a incredible price because it was a foreclosure and it was only available for a cash purchaser.
So that works out to 5900/year. I just googled the same type of unit to see what you could rent it for.

Here's one that rents for about half that. Here's another one for even less than the first one.

What you paid is not an "incredible price." You were ripped off.

dollydaydream

Reaction score
Why?

I do not understand why someone would do that to us, we went to Church with Maria last Sunday night !!!!!

I just remembered what Timothy said.

Timothy 6:10. For the love of money is the root of all evil.

God will help me.

Dolly.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Dolly - are you back home now?

Tropical lady

Reaction score
problem with the math....

Just using the info that she gave us, 2 + 2 equals 4 weeks per year in a 2 bdrm suite. Sticking just to 10 years that equals 4 weeks per year for 10 years or 40 weeks total. Therefore she is looking at $1500 per week. By splitting the 2 bdrm since they are lockoffs, she can double the weeks available which takes them from $1500 to $750 per week. Since it is not all inclusive, she can cook in if desired. This is not to justify the amount spent, this is just to put the info as she gave it into perspective.

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Just using the info that she gave us, 2 + 2 equals 4 weeks per year in a 2 bdrm suite.
The 2 + 2 is confusing. If it's a package for four weeks, I wonder why they just don't call it 4 weeks instead of selling it as 2 + 2. In rental ads, when googling "Grand Luxxe 2 + 2", they refer to 2 massages.

Howardfox

Reaction score
This really makes me think we have to do research before we even go on a tour! I am quite interested in buying in Mexico, but it's so hard to sort out the good deals from the bad - is there a jargon-buster on the site...?
I nearly got scammed in Dominican Republic a month ago with Blue Bay, and I'm heading for Mexico soon - I am noting all this kind advice!

Howard [ new guy !]

Last edited:

Howardfox

Reaction score
Hey Dolly,

Check out some of the advice on recession on here, but if you're going to use some of the "legal services" people, don't be too trusting. Some of them are real ambulance chasers, I hear. They say they want to "eradicate timeshare frauds" but if they succeeded in doing that, they'd be out of business! Take care!

Howard
PS I am a newbe here too, btw...!

Tropical lady

Reaction score
Yes it can be confusing if you are not involved with the program. That is why I wanted to give the numbers since everyone was making judgements.
The weeks are not sold necessarily in packages. When we originally bought, before the Grand Luxxe upgrade, the contracts were 1 registered week plus 1 vacation fair week, ie 2 weeks per year in whatever accommodation (lockoff, 1 bdrm, 2bdrm) you purchased. Every 5 years there was an extra MF on the registered week. Sooooo, for every registered week you bought you got a VF week or 1+1, 2+2, 3+3, and so on including benefits for that level.
The contracts, for the most part, changed over the last year to 1 member week and 2 residence weeks per year. So, 1+2, 2+4 and so on, eliminating the 5 year extra fee to a smaller every 10 year fee, including benefits. When we costed it out and added the upgrade, the new contracts saved us money and gave us more time. Cost and benefits are what you negotiate apart from the standard sales presentation.
Splitting the units doubles your time. Benefits for the level of purchase are clearly spelled out.
It took my husband and I many hours to understand all this, but we really do enjoy the program and it has worked well for us. Hope this helps....

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes it can be confusing if you are not involved with the program. That is why I wanted to give the numbers since everyone was making judgements.
The weeks are not sold necessarily in packages. When we originally bought, before the Grand Luxxe upgrade, the contracts were 1 registered week plus 1 vacation fair week, ie 2 weeks per year in whatever accommodation (lockoff, 1 bdrm, 2bdrm) you purchased. Every 5 years there was an extra MF on the registered week. Sooooo, for every registered week you bought you got a VF week or 1+1, 2+2, 3+3, and so on including benefits for that level.
The contracts, for the most part, changed over the last year to 1 member week and 2 residence weeks per year. So, 1+2, 2+4 and so on, eliminating the 5 year extra fee to a smaller every 10 year fee, including benefits. When we costed it out and added the upgrade, the new contracts saved us money and gave us more time. Cost and benefits are what you negotiate apart from the standard sales presentation.
Splitting the units doubles your time. Benefits for the level of purchase are clearly spelled out.
It took my husband and I many hours to understand all this, but we really do enjoy the program and it has worked well for us. Hope this helps....
Thanks for the explanation. That does make it a little clearer. Still, $60,000 cash for a timeshare seems a bit much.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
howardfox, if you want to buy a timeshare in mexico, look on ebay. They are selling from a $1 to a few hundred bucks. and before you buy a ts, you should spend some time on this forum.

Last edited:

Tropical lady

Reaction score
perception.....

Karen,
That is what Dollydaydreamer said she paid. That is not necessarily what others have paid.
Also she stated that amount was for 10 years....I suspect she might have confused another issue in the contract and has 99 years. So all the mental gymnastics with the math might show much less per week over the long term IF I am correct about her contract.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
God will help me.

Only if you help yourself first. There's time for faith, but this is a time for cold, hard pragmatism. Get your rescission letter out TODAY. If you want to help out your salesperson, cut their parish a check in their name after you are reimbursed what you were overcharged. They 'helped themselves' now it's your turn.

Jim Ricks

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was responding to your (do not listen to Sally,she is having trouble making her monthly bills.. jab..post..
You and I Denise are not even close to being similar,.....You and Jim, are a good team...

And I just couldn't be prouder :) .... JR

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine

Thank you

Dolly

$60,000 for the GL for 2 registered + 2 residence weeks is a very good price. Did you already have an ownership at the MP that you traded in? They wouldn't even present the GL option to me at one presentation because they said I didn't have enough equity ($29,000) in the week to be able to trade up to the GL. The m'f/s are high and if you split them they charge you more than 1/2 foe each side. I still think you should rescind!

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine

I don't see how you figure you are saving on the renovation fees. Before you paid for only the registered week every 5 yrs and now you pay for the registered and VF weeks every 10 years. Seems like it is the same to me. Also if you split the units to use as 2 weeks, they charge you extra m/f's, e.g. $1500 m.f when split becomes $1000 + $800. Those aren't the actual #'s, just used for illustration.

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
yes...Jim..

two people..who know the price of everything,but the value of nothing...

I believe,what Dolly said...about the love of money..is something that a few around here should ponder...

I also bet ...for those of us who plan on spending 4 to 8 weeks a year in Mexico ..The grupo Mayan properties..would be hard to match in class,safety,upkeep,locations,cleanliness,food safety,on site eatery choice,unit satisfaction,pool and lush landscaping,beach seating,palapas,world class spa and golf courses....and general (four seasons type ) management..among other positive traits...THIS is what you can count on with this resort...This is what one is BUYING,.....GRUPO MAYAN PROPERTIES are NOT just your run of the mill mexican timeshare..

You and Denise can enjoy your recycled breakfast foods for evening snacks ..I am sticking to my grupo Mayan..thankyou...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You and Denise can enjoy your recycled breakfast foods for evening snacks ..I am sticking to my grupo Mayan..thankyou...

That won't be me - We don't do "resort activities" - reminds me too much of summer camp. I will be out at a local restaurant having a nice dinner with my husband and we will be discussing how nice timesharing is when it's free....

Tropical lady

Reaction score
clarification

Pat,
First, I have a 1 +2 contract, before the upgrade it was a 1 + 1.
The 10 year MF is less than the every 5 year. We worked the figures and all this was also costed out on the Luxxe Owner's web site spring of 2010 when the contracts changed.
If you split your unit and make your reservations at the same time, the MF is the same as if both units were the same week. Example, 1 week in a 2 bdrm is the same MF as a week in the 1 bdrm in April and a week in the lockoff in Oct. Also in contract negotiations that is an issue to address so that you are not hit with higher MF's just because you split the unit and don't make your reservations at the same time.
Depending upon what is important to an owner (negotiated reservation time, price, MF, benefits, MF waiver) vs what the older resale contract does not contain, is the basis for their decision for new or resale purchase.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Pat,
First, I have a 1 +2 contract, before the upgrade it was a 1 + 1.
The 10 year MF is less than the every 5 year. We worked the figures and all this was also costed out on the Luxxe Owner's web site spring of 2010 when the contracts changed.
If you split your unit and make your reservations at the same time, the MF is the same as if both units were the same week. Example, 1 week in a 2 bdrm is the same MF as a week in the 1 bdrm in April and a week in the lockoff in Oct. Also in contract negotiations that is an issue to address so that you are not hit with higher MF's just because you split the unit and don't make your reservations at the same time.
Depending upon what is important to an owner (negotiated reservation time, price, MF, benefits, MF waiver) vs what the older resale contract does not contain, is the basis for their decision for new or resale purchase.

How can the every 10 yrs be less than twice the 5 yrs? They should be the same or more. According to what I was told, it didn't matter when you made the reservations, the split m/f was more. I actually found my sheet from my last "update" meeting and here are the figures for the GM. Full m/f $989, if split $699 + $569 = $1268 or $279 more. Are you saying that's something that can be negotiated?

Tropical lady

Reaction score
Pat H,
The weekly MF is the same if you book the 2 bdrm for 1 week or during the same reservation process you split the unit. If I am splitting, I make sure I know my dates and do it all at the same time. In fact last April, I had made reservations for 2 consecutive weeks using only the suite side and 3 weeks later wanted to add one of the lockoffs back on to one of the suites to make a 2 bdrm for friends and they did it....no additional MF, no problemo! In addition, when my husband got an infected foot and we had to cancel our 3 weeks last month, they returned the weeks, and offered to refund the MF. I left the MF paid as we plan to travel asap when the IV antibiotics are stopped.
It is also something that can be negotiated upfront which we did not know about.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Thank you

Dolly

What does the 2 plus 2 mean? I am assuming that it means you have 4 weeks per year. That is not uncommon. If so then the price you paid is very reasonable for the type of luxury which the Grand Luxxe is.

Exactly how many total weeks did you get?

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This really makes me think we have to do research before we even go on a tour! I am quite interested in buying in Mexico, but it's so hard to sort out the good deals from the bad - is there a jargon-buster on the site...?
I nearly got scammed in Dominican Republic a month ago with Blue Bay, and I'm heading for Mexico soon - I am noting all this kind advice!

Howard [ new guy !]

Why buy in Mexico when it is so easy to get an exchange there.

Grupo Mayan

Reaction score
Dear Dolly,

There is a lot of information going on here. I guess I may be able to clarify the specific doubts about your purchase if you contact me directly and provide me your contract details.

There are a lot of benefits when buying from a developer, so, if I can be of any help to you as a representative of the resorts; kindly contact me at: grupomayanblog@grupovidanta.com or by telephone at 1-800-292-9446.

Some of your comments do not reflect the way we operate, so we will be more than happy to investigate that further as we take those allegations very seriously.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Karen Rose
Customer Support Representative.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
That is not actually true. Both the Grand Mayan - Riviera Maya and Grand Mayan - Nuevo Vallarta have their own amenities that can't be used by Mayan Palace guests. Both resorts have separate GM pools and lazy rivers as well as other amenities. Grand Mayan guests have access to both MP and GM facilities but not the reverse.

Thanks for the clarification. We have always stayed at the Grand Mayans and I never thought about that before.