• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Complimenting HGVC with other Timeshares

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Is there a good Timeshare system to compliment HGVC? Couple of ideas which come to my mind are:
-Wyndham.
- RCI point only membership.
- RCI with points and MF

Goal is more resort locations especially in West coast. HGVC has limited locations. Ownership not be expensive and low MF. Looking for opinions, experience of owning other TS. Thx

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
RCI comes with HGVC. You can use your HGVC points directly in RCI. Some properties also belong to other exchanges like Grand Pacific Palisades are in GPX, Craig Lodges are in Interval International, etc.

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
RCI comes with HGVC. You can use your HGVC points directly in RCI. Some properties also belong to other exchanges like Grand Pacific Palisades is in GPX, Craig Lodges is in Interval International, etc.
RCI properties with HGVC are limited. Not all RCI properties are offered thru HGVC. Owning RCI outside HGVC will give access to these properties

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We love our Vistana (Westin) mandatory deeds Westin Maui Villas North and Westin Kierland. Locations on Maui, Kauai, Scottsdale, Steamboat, St. John, Palm Desert, Orlando, Cancun, Cabo. System has points system similar to HGVC if you buy a mandatory deed at certain resorts. Trades in II.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't have an independent membership in RCI to see the differences so, I can't speak to that.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But this gives you access to II... Which has other chains in it so you get complimentary systems with the option to still use the points in HGV if needed. To me, that is better than buying into another system.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Looking for low cost to buy and low MF
I have HGVC, Hyatt and WorldMark. I find that to be a great balance. WorldMark is not as upscale but has 90+ locations and the best flexibility of any system. It is also a great trader in RCI. You can get a great exchange for $1000 worth of Maintenance fees compared to $2k for others.

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
I have HGVC, Hyatt and WorldMark. I find that to be a great balance. WorldMark is not as upscale but has 90+ locations and the best flexibility of any system. It is also a great trader in RCI. You can get a great exchange for $1000 worth of Maintenance fees compared to $2k for others.
Thanks for the info. How does WM give great trade to RCI? Is RCI booking fee reduced? Something else.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
RCI and II do best when there is a week-long stay. Better to get a mini-system for partial week stays.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I moved your thread from HVC/Diamond forum to HGVC because I think that is what you are actually asking especially since you are a HGVC owner.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
It looks like you are based in SF, so that is why someone stated Worldmark (since it is mainly on the West Coast). You may wish to give us where you would like to go that HGVC isn't providing for you currently. That I think would help those responding. I know that I will be useless since I am only HGVC and Fiesta Americana.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
Disney :)

OK, not for everyone, but the only other timeshare we have is DVC. But we like going there...

Cheers.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
what locations specifically do you want?

we bought hgvc for very specific locations, not for broad access to innumerable "resorts". for us the best complement to hgvc is non TS systems, whether HHonors points, Chase Ultimate Rewards, or just plain cash.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Thanks for the info. How does WM give great trade to RCI? Is RCI booking fee reduced? Something else.
There is no Home resort so your deposit is more valuable and provides access to 90+ resorts. It’s known for being a great trader.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
RCI properties with HGVC are limited. Not all RCI properties are offered thru HGVC. Owning RCI outside HGVC will give access to these properties
With HGVC, you have access to RCI inventory in both RCI WEEKS and RCI POINTS. You can request any RCI resort that is blocked by HGVC's quality filters. Which lower quality resort(s) are you trying to gain access to?

Unlike hotels, timeshares are not available in all areas (see RCI map below). Exchange availability will also vary by resort. Don't assume that you can easily book any resort listed in the RCI Directory. For example, take a look at HGVC resort availability in RCI. You'll even see with HGVC, availability will vary by resort & location. Some RCI resorts & locations are in higher demand than others. Some have RCI locations, have very little supply.

1695880055483.png

Last edited:

TheDude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara & HGVC The Boulevard
This is a good post. I never really had thought about expanding beyond HGVC. Still might not, but this is great food for thought. Thanks.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Looking for low cost to buy and low MF
Isn’t everyone? The problem becomes, what’s inexpensive in MF’s today may be me expensive tomorrow
Looking for outside HGVC system to compliment HGVC. Thx

There’s a reason HGVC bought DRI, it compliments HGVC very well. Lots of resorts across the mainland and Hawaii plus some international. DRI is inexpensive to buy. Many people will give you their trust ownership. As far as MF’s, that’s one of those systems that use to be inexpensive, then became expensive. I don’t know where they stand now, you’d have to check.

The biggest obstacle would be the need to buy in more than one trust if you want access to all the former DRI locations (it’s now HVC). You’ll get the majority of mainland resorts owning the old US trust. It could be combined with the Hawaiian trust and you’ll get access to nearly all of the old DRI resorts.

Why not just join Hilton MAX? Because MAX would limit you to a 6 month booking window. Owning one of the old trusts gives you a 13 month booking window. With MAX you get the leftovers. Direct ownership in one of the old DRI trusts gives you first choice of the best locations and best options for unit type and view.

The old DRI system, which is now HVC, is the perfect complement to HGVC ownership UNLESS it’s purchased retail as MAX. If they had given HGVC owners at least a 9 month booking window, I’d have given MAX serious consideration.

Last edited: