• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coconut Plantation and Ian - updates

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Hopefully they will honor what they had posted about reservations thru all of Oct...
Unfortunately I'm not sure they will. I called today to ask a question about my December reservation, and the CSR said the October 6 date for no fee cancellations. Their standard line is that they are assessing the damages and expect to be operational on October 7. It doesn't seem to matter that the surrounding areas and services are enormously affected, but only that the resort itself in its cocoon is functional.

Last edited:

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I got an email from Hyatt Coconut Point (adjacent to Coconut Plantation) that they would be cancelling my reservation because they are suspending operations for the time being. On the Hyatt website they intend to re-open on November 1st (but I think that's a moving target).

I feel bad that the GM felt he needed to reach out to us so quickly -- can only imagine what kind of damage he and his employees have to deal with.
That’s impressive they notified owners this fast but I am sure it is a moving target. I would guess they realize with a vacation club people need to scramble to do something else with points as it isn’t like a hotel where you get money back.

cfabar1

Reaction score
It is a moving target. I was on phone with Hyatt earlier today, the agent said for now it is a few weeks, but could be extended. Hopefully the damage is not too significant. All calls are being routed to Orlando.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s impressive they notified owners this fast but I am sure it is a moving target. I would guess they realize with a vacation club people need to scramble to do something else with points as it isn’t like a hotel where you get money back.

And the logical extention of that is that need need to be open so that they do not have to refund points....

I suspect they will open if they have rooms available even if there are no services. They would have to have the check in area available. Not sure they need anything else available to be open.

I don't expect the beach to be open for a long time (which they share with another organization). The fitness center and restaurant would be nice but not required. I don't have to have the lazy river. There is no point in going if the main pool is not available. The bar/restaurant does have a really good grouper sandwich that i would miss and they would want that revenue .....

All that said i am sure the people of that area have been through a terrifying ordeal and would love some normalcy to return - to be operational again and have employees working as soon as possible. And we still have supply chain issues that can slow down the recovery - especially when so many in FL need the same materials and labor. I would think Hyatt corp will be helpful here.

Last edited:

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
On this Hurricane IAN Imagery map it really doesn't look all that bad for Coconut Planation. Of course you can't really see possible damage, but you don't even see any downed trees. One thing I noticed is the the upper level adult pool is blue, while all the other pools are dark, suggesting to me that any storm surge didn't reach that level. That's just my speculation.

I did notice that the hotel still has an opening date of Nov 1st.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no knowledge of property directly on the bay as coconut point is. However restaurants are opening at coconut point mall, stores are opening. Most subdivisions in Estero are reporting no flooding. Coconut point is surrounded by estero.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
On this Hurricane IAN Imagery map it really doesn't look all that bad for Coconut Planation. Of course you can't really see possible damage, but you don't even see any downed trees. One thing I noticed is the the upper level adult pool is blue, while all the other pools are dark, suggesting to me that any storm surge didn't reach that level. That's just my speculation.

I did notice that the hotel still has an opening date of Nov 1st.

2nd thoughts on that map. I know it's post IAN for Sanibel and Ft Myers Beach, but I wonder if it's pre IAN for Bonita Springs and Captiva. ???
It could also have been flooding from the retention pond/lake that overflowed into the lazy river and even further to the other lower pools. It isn't necessarily storm surge from the gulf. Also speculation...

travelguy84

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRC Maui, HRC Pinon Pointe, HRC Coconut Plantation
I spoke to a representative who answered the phone on behalf of the front desk from Marriott World Vacations and he read his most recent damage update from the property.... and it didn't sound awful at all in terms of what he reiterated. Some first floor light damage to all the buildings, elevators which may need to be replaced, over-flowing pools and debris, boardwalk to the beach from the Regency, and the most extensive damage was to the sales center from what the individual stated. Again, this is just me relaying information but considering how bad the update could be or the potential for total loss, I was a little more calmed by what I heard.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Target still moving:

ATTENTION: Hyatt Coconut Plantation has suspended normal hotel operations due to effects of Hurricane Ian and is expected to resume normal hotel operations on October 10th, 2022. Cancellation fees are waived for stays from now through October, 9th, 2022

dahntahn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs, Hyatt Beach House, Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I called the resort today and got corporate who said they expect to be open for hotel service on October 7. When I asked about facilities [pools, exercise area] she said there should be more info by Thursday. We have a reservation starting Oct. 20, so I expect we will be going. It seems likely that they are not planning to cancel anybody after the 7th.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
Target still moving:

ATTENTION: Hyatt Coconut Plantation has suspended normal hotel operations due to effects of Hurricane Ian and is expected to resume normal hotel operations on October 10th, 2022. Cancellation fees are waived for stays from now through October, 9th, 2022

While the cancellation fee may be waived, the returned points will be Restricted Points.
My reservation is for Oct 16th. I'm not planning on going now since my week on Ft Myers Beach is cancelled and I don't feel like flying down for just 4 days
at Coconut Plantation.
For me to cancel, it would cost me $51 cancellation fee to get back restricted points, which are generally pretty useless to me.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I went ahead and paid cancellation fee to get back 190 CUP pts, unrestricted. I know not many pts, but they are worth more than the fee and I'm always 10-40 pts shorts on some reservation whether HRC or II.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that things are hard to get, it is still a mess, many areas near coconut point are still without electricity, and there is a boil water mandate in effect.
I live a few miles away, our clubhouse, golf course, and restaurant are still closed.
cannot even find rope and stakes in stores to straighten out my hibiscus tree.
can’t get a roofing company to put me on their list.
our insurance agent doesn’t have phone and internet yet
our management company is barely functioning because most of its employees lost their home and car and belongings

Last edited:

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI this was posted on the HOTEL’s FB page yesterday

Our deepest thoughts are with our Southwest Florida community and all those who have been impacted by Hurricane Ian. At this time, due to the impact of the storm, Hyatt Regency Coconut Point has temporarily suspended hotel operations until further notice.

Guests with questions regarding a future reservation or travelers inquiring about hotel availability may contact Hyatt’s Customer Care at1-888-524-9288. For reservations made via online travel agents or other third parties, guests may contact their booking provider for information on their policies and for assistance.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and paid cancellation fee to get back 190 CUP pts, unrestricted. I know not many pts, but they are worth more than the fee and I'm always 10-40 pts shorts on some reservation whether HRC or II.

I assume that your reservation was for the time the resort is closed.
Mine is for Oct 16th, and they said that if I cancelled the returned points would be restricted.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I assume that your reservation was for the time the resort is closed.
Mine is for Oct 16th, and they said that if I cancelled the returned points would be restricted.
No, my reservation was in December, so was greater than 60 days. I wish HRC would be more lenient in allowing cancellations for the October reservations considering that the entire surrounding area was blasted. But they're behaving the same as when COVID hit in March 2020. Back then I had a home resort reservation at the end of March, and best they could do was same restricted points.

I guess you could make an II reservation with the restricted points , which is what I did. I can't remember if they waived cancellation fee....

ArizonaSun4Fun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received this email about a week ago….

Dear Hyatt Residence Club Bonita Springs, Coconut Plantation Owners,

By now you have likely seen the images emerging from Southwest Florida reflecting the result of Hurricane Ian. First, I wanted to say thank you for the outpouring of support and well wishes for our colleagues during this challenging time. We are safe, although some of our colleagues have unfortunately experienced personal property damage. However, they are resilient and remain in good spirits despite their losses.

As you know, we have the best colleagues in the business and that was further demonstrated last weekend as they came in to help remove debris, clean the property, and prevent further damage from occurring — all while the resort was without power!

Fortunately, power has been restored to most of the resort. As of October 4, the property is closed as we assess and rectify storm damage. On October 1, our third-party property-restoration team was on-site to evaluate storm surge damage and the state of our building infrastructure. They are currently working with the management team on a remediation plan and restoration schedule for the areas of the resort that were impacted.

The storm surge at our site was estimated to be at 6 to 8 feet and impacted most of the pools, parking levels of all buildings, and our first floor of the operations building. It did not impact our clubhouse. The elevators, electrical systems supporting the villa buildings, and most pool equipment were all significantly impacted by the storm surge and are currently under assessment. While we are working diligently to get back up and running,
it will likely take weeks to reestablish fully operating elevators, pools, and more around the resort.

Lastly, we would like to advise you that the local area experienced significant damage to roadways, which continues to cause sporadic road closures. Additionally, there are limited stores, restaurants, and businesses open in the area at this time.

During the current closure, updates on the resort’s operating status will be provided on our Resort Hub page. As you can imagine, this situation is dynamic and changing rapidly. Due to the fluidity of storm repairs, we are currently not able to provide you with a date when we will be open and operational. However, we will contact you as soon as we can welcome you back to Coconut Plantation.

We would like to thank you for your continued support of the team's efforts through this difficult situation and we look forward to welcoming you back to Coconut Plantation in the near future.

Please contact our Go Hyatt team if you have further questions: 800-464-9288.

Thank you,

Rey XXXXXXX
General Manager
Hyatt Residence Club Bonita Springs, Coconut Plantation​

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
This changed in the last 1-2 hours:
ATTENTION: Hyatt Coconut Plantation has suspended normal hotel operations due to effects of Hurricane Ian and is tentatively expected to resume normal hotel operations on October 17th, 2022. Cancellation fees are waived for stays from now through October, 16th, 2022. Any deposits and prepayments for cancelled stays on these dates, including prepaid rates, will be refunded. Thank you for your understanding. If you have questions, please contact us.

dahntahn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs, Hyatt Beach House, Hyatt Coconut Plantation
This changed in the last 1-2 hours:
ATTENTION: Hyatt Coconut Plantation has suspended normal hotel operations due to effects of Hurricane Ian and is tentatively expected to resume normal hotel operations on October 17th, 2022. Cancellation fees are waived for stays from now through October, 16th, 2022. Any deposits and prepayments for cancelled stays on these dates, including prepaid rates, will be refunded. Thank you for your understanding. If you have questions, please contact us.
Where did you find this information? I have been following a link to "Resort Status" and it still only says temporarily closed> I hope this change is correct, as I have a reservation starting October 20 and would like to keep ir.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did you find this information? I have been following a link to "Resort Status" and it still only says temporarily closed> I hope this change is correct, as I have a reservation starting October 20 and would like to keep ir.

So far, the update from Hyatt.com has slid back multiple times. I hope you are able to go on the 20th.

I am still concerned about my reservation on the 6th and which services will be open. It is promising that the clubhouse did not get flooded - but the pools could take a while. Hopefully the staff has not had their homes affected also.

I love that pool complex and the sound of the waterfall. One of my happy places.

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
IT'S GAME TIME! Does anyone want to make a wager when the resort will open??? Over and under for 10/17? My guess is no way. I'm thinking maybe 11/17. Even then, what will the local area have to offer? Restaurants?