• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coconut Plantation and Ian - updates

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a reservation there in Nov and IAN is pretty much a direct hit near them. Once anyone gets news after the hurricane, please post.

I have a friend who arrived there last Sunday. The beach had already been closed. They closed the pool Monday. Then they were told to evacuate Tuesday, which was a good thing.

The article I read said there would be a 12-18 foot surge in that area. At a mininum, the grounds will be trashed. I hope the bay and trees can help keep the water below the first floor. The clubhouse/restaurant is likely in big trouble.

Panzerman45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT Residence Club
Club Wyndham Access 300k
It will be appreciated if an update could be had by anyone visiting Coconut Plantation over the next month or two. I will be returning in March 2023 and I would expect all will be up and running at that point.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got a reservation at the hotel next door in a couple of weeks. I fully expect to be cancelled on which is fine. If somehow they are able to accept guests in 2 weeks, I can post reports.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Florida counties are really, really, really good about cleaning up bio-debris from a hurricane. I savage Florida government regularly. But I'll give credit where due -- it is very likely that except for the very worst-hit areas, most of the downed trees will be mulched and hauled in a matter of days. The grounds will very likely be the first completed project. If there is drywall or roof damage, make plans elsewhere for the next few years.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
given that location and the storm surge in that area being reported on the news, i would expect that resort has suffered significant damage on the first floors, with them being completely underwater.

saw this on another forum, its ft meyers beach:

1664414352804.png

today

1664414366239.png

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The villa buildings have parking underneath on the first floor. So that may help mitigate damage to any villas. The clubhouse is also built up on a small hill. Depending on how high the water got there will determine the extent of damage.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
From my neighbors report, this was terrifying. bonita beach to fort myers beach is totally flooded. I usually am unable to post pictures here, but will try. One picture showed Wyndham on fort myers beach with water half way up. Someone stated fort myers beach is gone. Don’t know what happened on the other side of the bay, where Hyatt coconut is. Downtown Naples flooded, hospital in Naples is flooded. Second picture is Docs on Bonita beach. i saw a photo of a building across from lovers key that was flooded. Rivers were cresting late afternoon, and by the time things settled it was too dark to go out and look for damage. As of 9:30 pm, wind still howling along the beachfront.

Attachments

• FD725818-95D1-4754-B9BB-864412DFE269.jpeg
    FD725818-95D1-4754-B9BB-864412DFE269.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 338
  • 57EE24C6-9AF9-4D4C-95E1-44445E81AA2D.jpeg
    57EE24C6-9AF9-4D4C-95E1-44445E81AA2D.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I assume you can call and get an update from the resort directly.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
My friend said he has been through Category 2 through 4 before and this one was by far the worst. He's in Cap Coral and it was just below a Category 5 so it makes sense.

He said the worst was losing power and cell service so he wasn't getting much for information and communication .

He said he would post pictures and I will put them here when I see them.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I got an email from Hyatt Coconut Point (adjacent to Coconut Plantation) that they would be cancelling my reservation because they are suspending operations for the time being. On the Hyatt website they intend to re-open on November 1st (but I think that's a moving target).

I feel bad that the GM felt he needed to reach out to us so quickly -- can only imagine what kind of damage he and his employees have to deal with.

Quinte

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Hyatt Beach House
Hyatt Portfolio Points
Bonita Beach Road @ Imperial Shores Blvd, about 8 km (5 mi) south of Coconut Point. I believe this is the story of the Collier County Cowboys (Good Samaritans) rescuing an elderly man from his flooded car. Other are reporting significant flooding in this part of Bonita Springs, but much less damage another km inland.

1664465201140.png

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
From Hyatt CP website (I am very surprised)

ATTENTION: Hyatt Coconut Plantation has suspended normal hotel operations due to effects of Hurricane Ian and is expected to resume normal hotel operations on October 1st, 2022.

Cancellation fees are waived for stays from now through October 1st, 2022. Any deposits and prepayments for cancelled stays on these dates, including prepaid rates, will be refunded. Thank you for your understanding. If you have questions, please contact us.

So i figure i can call them on Oct 1st and see what the status is. The grounds must be a mess and the clubhouse had to have been flooded.

Quinte

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Hyatt Beach House
Hyatt Portfolio Points
Read on a news site that the Hyatt Regency CP was being used by emergency crews who were pre-positioned. It may be that it has been "blocked" off for these uses for the next month. Read on another site that homes east of Estero Bay were spared significant flooding due to the natural protective nature of the bay and the undisturbed forest/swam area.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
From Hyatt CP website (I am very surprised)

ATTENTION: Hyatt Coconut Plantation has suspended normal hotel operations due to effects of Hurricane Ian and is expected to resume normal hotel operations on October 1st, 2022.

Cancellation fees are waived for stays from now through October 1st, 2022. Any deposits and prepayments for cancelled stays on these dates, including prepaid rates, will be refunded. Thank you for your understanding. If you have questions, please contact us.

So i figure i can call them on Oct 1st and see what the status is. The grounds must be a mess and the clubhouse had to have been flooded.

The CP website now says:

ATTENTION: Hyatt Coconut Plantation has suspended normal hotel operations due to effects of Hurricane Ian and is expected to resume normal hotel operations on November 1st, 2022.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
They've also amended the cancellation fees waived thru date to October 31st. So I'll be cancelling my Oct 16th stay.

Cancellation fees are waived for stays from now through October 31st, 2022. Any deposits and prepayments for cancelled stays on these dates, including prepaid rates, will be refunded. Thank you for your understanding. If you have questions, please contact us.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I have a mid-week stay for early December. I think they'll be pretty much cleaned up outside. Not sure how much water damage there might have been in 1st/ground floor units. If I cancelled it's low season and a low amount of points. Not sure if it's worth paying the cancellation fee.

However my Sanibel island reservation is highly highly doubtful. I think will be many months before the poor local residents will be able to get back to any sense of normal.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
someone just posted this on facebook:

⚠️
ATTENTION: HYATT RESIDENCE CLUB, BONITA SPRINGS COCONUT PLANTATION has suspended HRC and hotel operations due to effects of Hurricane Ian and is expected to resume normal operations on November 1st, 2022.
I confirmed it with "Live Chat".

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ah drat, i see someone already posted that above. ohwell..good to know for confirmation!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
These are pics from "The Turtle Club" / Vanderbilt Beach Resort --- This is located right next door to Vanderbilt Beach and Harbor Club the timeshare I own 2 weeks at... I highly doubt I will get to use my December weeks this year... The devastation is so sad,,, my heart bleeds for Naples and all of SW Florida

Attachments

• IMG_3166.JPG
    IMG_3166.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_3168.JPG
    IMG_3168.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_3169.JPG
    IMG_3169.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3167.jpg
    IMG_3167.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 245

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
The CP website now says:
ATTENTION: Hyatt Coconut Plantation has suspended normal hotel operations due to effects of Hurricane Ian and is expected to resume normal hotel operations on November 1st, 2022.

Yes i think what I saw was a mistake and they fixed it. This date makes a lot more sense.

The pictures of Sanibel are aweful - and part of the bridge and road out to it are reported out. We have stayed out at Captiva with HGVC and it is one the best locations we have stayed - I cannot imagine what is left as it is much smaller and more exposed than Sanibel. Reports are that Ft Myers beach is destroyed. The flooding throught FL is being called a 500 year event. We can only hope CP was protected somewhat by the bay and natural area. It is an amazing place if you like to chill. And we laugh because after the last refurb they made the sink so small that it is hard to fit one plate in it.

I know that Nov 1 could slide - and my points use for the Nov reservation will be past LCUP by mid Nov :cautious:

Last edited:

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is crazy - just checked again ...

ATTENTION: Hyatt Coconut Plantation has suspended normal hotel operations due to effects of Hurricane Ian and is expected to resume normal hotel operations on October 7th, 2022. Cancellation fees are waived for stays from now through October, 6th, 2022. Any deposits and prepayments for cancelled stays on these dates, including prepaid rates, will be refunded. Thank you for your understanding. If you have questions, please contact us.

The safety and wellbeing of our guests is always a top priority. View the latest updates, closures, and cancellation policies regarding COVID-19 at Hyatt Residence Club properties.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is crazy - just checked again ...

ATTENTION: Hyatt Coconut Plantation has suspended normal hotel operations due to effects of Hurricane Ian and is expected to resume normal hotel operations on October 7th, 2022. Cancellation fees are waived for stays from now through October, 6th, 2022. Any deposits and prepayments for cancelled stays on these dates, including prepaid rates, will be refunded. Thank you for your understanding. If you have questions, please contact us.

The safety and wellbeing of our guests is always a top priority. View the latest updates, closures, and cancellation policies regarding COVID-19 at Hyatt Residence Club properties.

Well that is unexpected.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I'll still probably cancel my Oct 16th reservation.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well that is unexpected.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I'll still probably cancel my Oct 16th reservation.

Hopefully they will honor what they had posted about reservations thru all of Oct...