• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Changes in 2021 Destination Points per Night

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel someone at MVC are looking at every holiday in the world and every major sporting events during a year and they are increasing points stays for that period. Plus, there are projecting these holidays and sporting events out for two to three years until 2023. IMHO.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having an issue following this with regard to what I was told.

For example: When I purchased my points if a resort in Hawaii posted rates of 500 points per night for weekdays and 1,200 points per night on the weekends during a week in August, are you telling me they can now change that to 600 points a night during the week and 1,500 points per night for the same week, but decrease the points for an off period?
YES.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question for the group: I own on HHI. If they raise the price of reserving a week at say the Barony from 4500 (ocean side unit) to 5000 and I only receive 4200 for my ocean side week, shouldn't they raise my point value for turning in what I own (the 4200)? I did't scrutinize the docs as I should have and I realize that in this scenario I should just book my week, but I am using this as an example to be clearer on my question.
Around here it's called the skim. There has been a lot of discussion of it over the years. Some are more opposed than others but as long as they balance the points over the year, I'd say the short answer is no. To say yes would be to say that if they lower the points, they should also lower your points allotment and if they raise yours, they should lower someone else's. You can still use your week and you lose nothing.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I own Disney as well and they did a point adjustment because too many people were avoiding weekends via points. They adjusted the points such that they reduced the rate for weekends closer to what it was for during the week and increased at other points, overall a weeks stay barely changed but if you did the 5 night Sunday-Thursday "trick" and than paid $$ for the weekend it made the sunday-thursday "trick" not worth it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Disney as well and they did a point adjustment because too many people were avoiding weekends via points. They adjusted the points such that they reduced the rate for weekends closer to what it was for during the week and increased at other points, overall a weeks stay barely changed but if you did the 5 night Sunday-Thursday "trick" and than paid $$ for the weekend it made the sunday-thursday "trick" not worth it.
Disney has done quite a few reallocations over the years. Disney has several differences IMO. They have the hotel information to pull from so in many ways they have a ton more data. They also are mandated in the POS to reallocate if the demand is skewed. And the fact they started out with points means any inefficiency of points was somewhat accounted for up front though the 2-4% for DVC is quite a bit less than the cushion Marriott has allotted for points though I think the circumstances of the type of stays is different also. I do feel the shorter stays fit in far better for DVC than for most Marriott's.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
In a similar vein to shifting around the number of points per night required (usually around a holiday time frame), there are also the instances of individual resorts creating 'minimum stay' requirements (effectively blocking single night points reservations). We have experienced this ourselves within the past couple of years at MVC properties on HHI that required a 2 or even 3 night stay to make a points reservation during certain 'high-demand' dates. This is never a published restriction on the MVC website, but with some creative date searches you could see changes in availability confirming the existence of these 'resort imposed restrictions'. For example, the website shows availability for a certain date range on a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. However, when you attempt to search for just a Friday using the same date as the proposed 3 day reservation, it shows nothing available. :ponder: While not a big deal to many folks, I suspect (unless they either live near a desired single-night destination or use single night stays incident to other travel), the ability to make single-night reservations was promoted as an 'ownership perk' of DC points (and is definitely being manipulated at the resort level in some locations).
This happened to me -- I booked a four night reservation across MLK weekend at Summit Watch -- I only wanted Fri-Mon, but I was required to book the Thursday lead in....the other non-published usage requirement I have seen is when I was required to use Trust Points to book Ritz STT. The system required 44% of the points to be Trust Points for that 13 month out reservation.

Interesting to see the system evolve and mature. I do agree with others that if they increase certain days/weeks and have offsetting decrease for days/weeks, I think that's simply a reflection of supply/demand.

Best,

Greg

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I wanted to book an ocean view unit at Ko Olina, ocean view units would not allow me to book with a Tuesday check in and Tuesday check out. I worked around it by booking to start on a weekend and then calling them to trim my reservation. A supervisor was able to do so. Our plans then changed and we wanted to add another 3 days. Similarly an ocean view unit would not show up with 3 days. I booked a week and called to trim it again. The agent got a supervisor to do so. I believe with Vistana and Marriott call centers being merged, as reported in a separate thread, many first line agents do not realize that only a supervisor's system can do the trimming. Hence I suggest to call and find someone experienced who will get the request off to a supervisor to make changes while you hold.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I wanted to book an ocean view unit at Ko Olina, ocean view units would not allow me to book with a Tuesday check in and Tuesday check out. I worked around it by booking to start on a weekend and then calling them to trim my reservation. A supervisor was able to do so. Our plans then changed and we wanted to add another 3 days. Similarly an ocean view unit would not show up with 3 days. I booked a week and called to trim it again. The agent got a supervisor to do so. I believe with Vistana and Marriott call centers being merged, as reported in a separate thread, many first line agents do not realize that only a supervisor's system can do the trimming. Hence I suggest to call and find someone experienced who will get the request off to a supervisor to make changes while you hold.
I think we'll see that option going away to be allowed to book then change keeping the original reservation but we'll see.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
UPDATE: Now that the points charts for 2021 are kinda sorta available (see other thread for hack info while Steven T. puts them together), there is a quirk resulting in the weekday points costs for week 1 (Sun - Thurs 1/3 - 1/7) being considerably lower than the following week. For instance, if you book Waiohai the full week 1/3 - 1/10 IV it is 3,000 DPs. For 1/4-1/11 it's a little higher, and higher still for 1/3 1/2 - 1/9, but all three check-in dates are lower than full week points of the minimum 4,225 as indicated on the charts.

IMO this represents a pretty good bargain if you can catch these at desirable January locations. Went to check Aruba but nothing available. Florida resorts like MGV same type of discount for that week.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Marriott will evolve the point system with data / artificial intelligence. Expect and anticipate change over the years. Weeks owners should be locked into their respective seasons without too much change. Great inventory of resorts and growing. Maintenance fees growing as well :cool:

TimGolobic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Residence Club

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Looks like MVC has also posted the 2021 charts on the site. If anyone finds Page 87, please let me know.
I saw that today also. And I looked for page 87 and did not find it. Perhaps it’s a yet to be announced new destination. ;-)

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
You can probably find it on the 13th floor of a hotel;)
Triskaidekaphobia...…., the fear of the number 13. Probably why Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl:D

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Looks like MVC has also posted the 2021 charts on the site. If anyone finds Page 87, please let me know.
Perhaps just a blank page? If this was printed in a book, perhaps a blank page there makes sense since this is the start of a new geographical area?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
UPDATE: Now that the points charts for 2021 are kinda sorta available (see other thread for hack info while Steven T. puts them together), there is a quirk resulting in the weekday points costs for week 1 (Sun - Thurs 1/3 - 1/7) being considerably lower than the following week. For instance, if you book Waiohai the full week 1/3 - 1/10 IV it is 3,000 DPs. For 1/4-1/11 it's a little higher, and higher still for 1/3 1/2 - 1/9, but all three check-in dates are lower than full week points of the minimum 4,225 as indicated on the charts.

IMO this represents a pretty good bargain if you can catch these at desirable January locations. Went to check Aruba but nothing available. Florida resorts like MGV same type of discount for that week.

Yes, as you've noted and as some of us suggested earlier in this thread, the discrepancies you noted early in this thread for HHI were not actually changes/devaluation of the points chart, but merely a reflection of some premium pricing for the weekend days of New Years week. Specifically, as you can see from the attached Waiohai chart, they have premium-priced Friday and Saturday Jan 1 and 2 at 1425 and 1400 points respectively (IV), so to keep the total week at 4225 points, they dropped Sun-Thu to only 280 points per night. By contrast, the following week Jan 8-14, Friday and Saturday drop back to 800 points each and Sun-Thu rise to 525 each night. So a "week" that starts on Jan 3 after those premium price days on Jan 1/2 will benefit from both the much lower Sun-Thu points cost Jan 3-7 and the lower Fri-Sat costs on Jan 8-9.

MVC points_charts_2021 (dragged) copy.jpg

It is indeed a quirk as you noted and not the general point devaluation that seemed to get people a bit "riled up." As @csalter2 said above:
I believe this is all Much Ado About Nothing as Bill Shakespeare once said.