• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Change in SVN ELITE benefits

pharmgirl

Reaction score
We own at WKorv and Marriott KoOlina. Marriott has gone to completely non smoking even on balconies. We had just purchased a 2nd week 2 mnths before the non smoking decision. My husband was furious and no longer wants to go to koOlina. Same problem with the 5 star upgrade disappearing after people purchased. With a hotel, if you don't like rules or procedures - just go to another hotel or rent a house. With a timeshare can't easily just go to another.

We had planned to buy another 2 or 3 weeks in Maui but we no longer will buy timeshares, we will rent additional weeks.

Watch out Starwood - don't kill the golden goose

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood's plan is strictly MONEY plain and simple.

Last year I heard a very telling quote from a top executive of Starwood Hotels. He said "we can raise our rates whenever we want". Hmmm, in other words, if you don't like it, go someplace else.

Unfortunately, SVO's are pretty much stuck with their decision to buy into the SVN. This recent decision coupled with the devaluation of "points" leaves SVO's with little more than another timeshare.

I would not buy just on the expectation of becoming an "elite member", but it could have been a "tipping point" if indecisive.

There are no longer any "real perks". Yes, you can convert points to airline tickets IF it is an advantage to you, but many of us do not even see that as an advantage.

With suspicions that exchange companies are hoarding units in order to rent, is that same suspicion popping up with Starwood?

We must wait and see if Starwood will realize it has become an average hotel/timeshare company.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Suzanne Clark contacted me also

I sent e-mails protesting the change in the villa upgrade policy to Suzanne Clark and the other names mentioned in this thread today and received the same e-mail as mariawolf (post #35) and emuyshondt (post #36) this afternoon. Suzanne called me at my office as she said she would. She was very aware of the unhappiness that has been created.

A pleasant chat, but I don't see Starwood modifying its new policy. Suzanne said that the problem with the suite upgrade program is that many elite members now have the expectation of getting suite upgrades and are angry when they are not upgraded. As a result, Starwood has been getting so many complaints from 3*, 4*, and 5* Elites who did not get suite upgrades that it concluded the upgrade program was generating more badwill with Elite members than it was generating goodwill (my words, not hers). Suzanne said that it is important to Starwood not to over-promise, especially to elite members. She agreed it was a matter of perception, but because so many elites now expect to be upgraded, the program is not working as intended.

As others have already stated in this thread, the problem is the discrepancy between what the sales department promises and what owner services is able to deliver. We read many posts about how to snag 4* and 5*elite status for the purpose of getting these extra goodies. The sales department spins the additional benefits as available and likely; it does not have to deliver.

Seenet is right (as usual). If a promise is not in your property deed, it doesn't exist.

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent e-mails protesting the change in the villa upgrade policy to Suzanne Clark and the other names mentioned in this thread today and received the same e-mail as mariawolf (post #35) and emuyshondt (post #36) this afternoon. Suzanne called me at my office as she said she would. She was very aware of the unhappiness that has been created.

A pleasant chat, but I don't see Starwood modifying its new policy. Suzanne said that the problem with the suite upgrade program is that many elite members now have the expectation of getting suite upgrades and are angry when they are not upgraded. As a result, Starwood has been getting so many complaints from 3*, 4*, and 5* Elites who did not get suite upgrades that it concluded the upgrade program was generating more badwill with Elite members than it was generating goodwill (my words, not hers). Suzanne said that it is important to Starwood not to over-promise, especially to elite members. She agreed it was a matter of perception, but because so many elites now expect to be upgraded, the program is not working as intended.

As others have already stated in this thread, the problem is the discrepancy between what the sales department promises and what owner services is able to deliver. We read many posts about how to snag 4* and 5*elite status for the purpose of getting these extra goodies. The sales department spins the additional benefits as available and likely; it does not have to deliver.

Seenet is right (as usual). If a promise is not in your property deed, it doesn't exist.
Now the sales department will only have the starpoints to hype which in itself is an overpromise IMO.

Time2Ponder

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I sympathize, to some extent, with elites, my thinking is similar to that of seenett and Denise L: Caveat emptor. The only thing that is ever guaranteed an owner is what is clearly spelled out in black and white in the deed.

I have never known a company to keep its benefits program in stasis: these programs are always changing. Look at what happened with frequent flyer programs: consider how difficult it is to utilize accrued miles for upgrades or tickets.

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised by what I perceive to be the overreactions here. (It reminds me of the way some Disney fanatics feel put-upon when Disney implements some new policy -- e.g., no heelies in the parks.) Starwood is a company whose business it is to make money, pure and simple. They do provide great vacations, and if they're able to offer some additional benefits to their loyal (elite) customers, then that's just icing on their already-significant cake.

KOR5Star

Reaction score
I just sent the following letter, which I copied to the local VP in charge of my ownership:

Suzanne,

This is not a good thing. Not in the least. It's hard for me to believe you can truly think of this as a good thing for 5 stars either.

I have used the Villa Upgrade as recently as March. It is the most valuable 5 Star benefit to me and the reason I bought so many SVN weeks. My plan was to split my 2BR units, use the 1BR on high demand times and my studio on low demand times to get an upgrade to a 1BR. You just blew that all away.

Villa upgrades have always been promoted as a benefit "when available". Your 90% occupancy logic makes absolutely no sense. I'm slack jawed. Because you can't offer the benefit all of the time, you've arbitrarily decided not to offer the benefit at any time?! Why on Earth would you take this away? How could this be a significant cost to the SVN?

As for the 10% more Starpoints, that's too little too late. My Starpoint value has been devalued so drastically in just the 3 years I've been an SVN member that 10% seems like you're rubbing it in, not fixing the situation.

Starwood hotels have been leaping and bounding in category since I bought in 2004. In just the past few years far more than half the chain has increased significantly. The increases and rate of increase have been outrageous and far exceeds any excuses about rising hotel rates.

As an alternative suggestion, why not tie in the Starpoints to a local Starwood hotel? Most of your locations seem to have sister or closely related properties. As local demand and rates increase, therefore hotel catagory, why not increase the timeshare's Starpoint value as well? It seems to me the only fair thing to do. When we trade the week for Starpoints, do you not rent these rooms in that same local market and enjoy the same increased revenue? Why should we suffer getting less and less each year while you get more and more?

I don't want to belabor the point, but I can't speak out loudly enough against the demise of the suite upgrade benefit. Again, it is the reason I am 5 Star!

As **** **** can attest, I was the happiest guy on Earth when I bought and for the first few years, but lately... with the devaluations, this severe reduction in benefits, the on-going practice of re-qualifying resale weeks... now you're requalifying EY weeks when people only buy EOY! I'm feeling VERY foolish about my "investment" with Starwood.

Not that I ever thought timeshare was a good "investment". I compare it to a luxury car. It's over priced, loses a ton of value the moment you buy it, but it feels great when you use it. Where timeshare differs from a luxury car is my dealer never makes me feel foolish by taking away critical parts of my car after I bought it or extend the manufacturer's warranty and give loyal customer benefits to people that bought their cars in the used market.

The shine is getting dull on this apple. Please stop making fools of your loyal owners.

Regards,

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
I wonder just how many folks were really angry when they didn't get an upgrade--I called every day for a month before for my last time (week 52 impossible at Harborside)--didn't really expect it but I didn't call and say how angry I was--I am more angry that they are letting 10% of their rooms (and in the week I usually go to Harborside early January even more) stay empty instead of letting me even try to upgrade!
Everyone expects an upgrade if rooms are empty--check out Trip Advisor--folks on that site that rent from owners or direct from the hotel are always asking how to get upgrades/better views etc. That is something hotels have always offered and I don't think that started with the consumers!

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
KOR5STAR's post represents the reason "requalifying" was not discussed publicly on TUG for many years.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now maybe you Elite Members will know what we early one week purchasers into the Starwood program (Westin Mission Hills on groundbreaking day) are feeling when we keep seeing more and more taken AWAY from us. :eek:

Fortunately back then we were able to trade into Harborside and St. John on one phone call :) so we already enjoyed staying there. Now they are just memories because we one weekers don't have the bennies that Elite has so getting in there is next to impossible.

We are lucky enough to own a variety of timeshares so Starwood pushing us further down the ownership queue for benefits hasn't stopped our upscale vacationing but it has left a sour taste in our mouth for Starwood in general.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Now maybe you Elite Members will know what we early one week purchasers into the Starwood program (Westin Mission Hills on groundbreaking day) are feeling when we keep seeing more and more taken AWAY from us. :eek:

Fortunately back then we were able to trade into Harborside and St. John on one phone call :) so we already enjoyed staying there. Now they are just memories because we one weekers don't have the bennies that Elite has so getting in there is next to impossible.

I don't quite understand your post. Elites don't have any advantage trading into Harborside or St. John over non-elites that I'm aware of.

As a one week owner, I pretty much feel that Starwood has delivered what I believed I was buying--no more, no less. So I don't feel that as a one week owner anything as been "taken away." I'm not being argumentative, just trying to understand what you feel you've lost. Perhaps you know something that I don't.

Glorian

Last edited:

BradC

Reaction score
I'm amused by one inconsistency from Starwood in the discussions listed here:

He kept referring to the survey that was sent to all Elite members. He said that the results that came back showed that most 5* Elite members were not even interested in the auto villa upgrade....

...and then...

Suzanne said that the problem with the suite upgrade program is that many elite members now have the expectation of getting suite upgrades and are angry when they are not upgraded.

I'm not elite, but had been considering it. I'm certainly not now. The only benefit I now see of buying yet another week would be that I wouldn't pay any more SVN fees on a third interval.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder just how many folks were really angry when they didn't get an upgrade--I called every day for a month before for my last time . . .

I suspect that this is a major reason for the change. If all 13,000+ of us are calling in daily to try to upgrade, Starwood has to hire more people to answer the phones. If it eliminates this benefit, it can cut its staff accordingly, and the MBA’s in the corporation can all validate their existence by showing how much money they have saved the company.

Hey Starwood, why not do what Hilton et al. have been doing for years and allow us owners to book units through a strange, new technology called “the Internet.” You could probably cut your phone-in staff even more, and we elite owners, who already love to lurk for deals via RCI’s, II’s, and other exchange company’s “on-line search engines” found on each company’s “web pages” could make a new game of scoring an upgrade via SVN’s very own on-line system. Just “modify” your upgrade policy to require that upgrades can only be booked online. If you did, all of your overpaid MBA’s (gee wouldn’t you save even more money if you canned them instead?) would still look good too.

If concert promoters can manage to sell tickets to popular concerts where demand far exceeds supply, SVN can do the same thing with surplus inventory. It just makes sense to allow your best customers first crack at it, and allowing us to use “the Internet” keeps your administration expenses for this task minimal.

Moreover, I’m pretty darned sure that sending out a “pee on me and tell me it’s raining” email that cancels the elite room upgrade program while throwing a few (very, very few) StarPoints my way if I book an overpriced vacation through your new “exciting” tour company is pretty low in anybody’s playbook on how to win the hearts and minds of us owners. I would think they would teach that in MBA school too, but apparently not.

You’re welcome.
-nodge

Last edited:

skim118

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't quite understand your post. Elites don't have any advantage trading into Harborside or St. John over non-elites that I'm aware of.

Glorian

Maybe Cathy was refering to the fact that 4 & 5 stars can have an existing reservation at your home resort and still be on the waitlist for Harborside or WSJ.

mepiccolo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I have bought TS's 3 different times now - but we have NEVER sat in on a timeshare sales presentation. Perhaps that is a really good thing because we didn't make any of our purchases based on false promises or high expectations of what we would get-we bought resale and we bought the view we wanted to be assured we'd get each time (OF). On our first purchase-after we were totally turned off talking to a WKORV salesman who made statements to us like we were idiots ("we had to buy now, before we left the island because they had to be notarized") we simply walked into a ts resale office in Lahaina and very quickly realized what the developer offered in incentives nowhere came close to the higher price we'd have to pay to purchase through the developer. I'm wondering now if we'd actually sat in a 2-3 hour sales presentation if we would have been convinced of how wonderful it was to buy directly from the developer. I guess I'll never know but I'm glad we dodged that bullet. As an aside our friends who went with us last year to WKORV on a TS offer had to do the sales presentation and when they walked out of the presentation they came over to tell us what they had been told. My husband and I immediately walked over to the sales office and asked if it was true what they had been told and OF COURSE we were told they misunderstood. Our friends are not stupid nor were they confused - they were just flat out lied to. Like cigarette cartons come with a warning timeshare sales contracts should read "Warning-educate yourself on TUG before you make your purchase." :banana:

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
While I sympathize, to some extent, with elites, my thinking is similar to that of seenett and Denise L: Caveat emptor. The only thing that is ever guaranteed an owner is what is clearly spelled out in black and white in the deed.

Very true--and it's good to be reminded of that! So buy more weeks to use if you wish, but to do so with the Elite benefits as a major consideration will probably lead to disappointment. They can change at any moment.

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised by what I perceive to be the overreactions here. (It reminds me of the way some Disney fanatics feel put-upon when Disney implements some new policy -- e.g., no heelies in the parks.) Starwood is a company whose business it is to make money, pure and simple. They do provide great vacations, and if they're able to offer some additional benefits to their loyal (elite) customers, then that's just icing on their already-significant cake.

I don't know--I think the reaction is understandable. These are people who have made a significant investment with Starwood and are very upset at the loss of a particular benefit.

Having said that, though, I can see Starwood's perspective. Most owners are not like Tuggers! ;) Tuggers understand how things work. How many of us would reserve a studio at WKORV during the 4th of July and expect to be upgraded to a 1 bedroom? Not a one I would guess--even if the salesperson told us otherwise. Most of the people buying, though, probably believe what they're told and then feel betrayed that they don't get the upgrade. There is an argument to be made that it's better to just remove the upgrade benefit and no longer have that used in sales presentations if it leads to disappointment for a majority of owners. Again, I do understand why existing Elite owners are upset.

Glorian

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nobody likes to lose a benefit they once had so I think its understandable why Elites would be upset. I do agree, though, that you should buy TS where you want to go and based on the vacation offered not on any side benefits that can be changed at any time. Assume that at some point the property you buy at will be the only place you can go to and think whether that will meet your vacation needs. If not, don't buy there. Hotel points, trading benefits, etc, can all be gone tomorrow.

I can also see Starwood's side, up to a point. I have witnessed many irate customers in Maui, mostly owners at WMH or VV, that come to Maui and are disappointed when they end up in one of the not-so-special rooms. Some ended up on the construction side, others perhaps not as close to the ocean as they expected. When the resort is close to 100% full during 4th of July week, mostly with local owners, some of these guests start yelling and berating the front desk staff because they didn't get what they expected and want the staff to do something despite the fact that all rooms are in use and the best rooms were understandably given to home resort owners. This, however, is the fault of a few bad customers for having unreasonable expectations and then stepping all over the front desk staff. The sales staff is also partially to blame. However, I think the upgrade benefit is great and should be continued as it is - based on availability. When availability is 10%, customers should not expect to get an automatic upgrade. Starwood also needs to educate its sales force to not overpromise - again, not an Elite member benefit problem, but one of other parts of the system. The SPG program offers suite upgrades to SPG Platinum members, but most don't get as irate when there is none available. I haven't heard of SPG thinking of taking the benefit way just because of a few unreasonable customers. The same should go for SVN.

Perhaps member services is just working with what is within their reach to change. They don't control the sales organization. However, this is not in the best interest of owners and SVN. No sense treating a symptom when the disease requires a different medicine. I hope SVO can realize this and change its plan of action regarding this particular benefit. I was even upgraded once when I was no-star from an ocean view to an ocean front studio and I certainly enjoyed it. Blanket removal of upgrade possibilities takes flexibility out of the system.

Perhaps assigning upgrades 90 days out is too much. A few days before check-in time the front desk staff could go through its list, sort it by home resort ownership, then elite level, then call-in time and assign upgrades based on available rooms. This would allow all that wanted to make reservations to get a room and use what is left over to give a little something to their most loyal customers. This is better than letting good rooms go unused.

Last edited:

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight, again, .... Who owns these units that are being used as upgrades? Starwood? NO!, Starwood does not own them. One of us owns them and has decided not to use it. Well then, what is Starwood doing here?

Kinda seems like you call United Airlines and speak to an hourly Customer Service Rep and she/he says "I am not going to even consider you for an upgrade, Mr. Platinum Flyer, because the person before you who called and only flew one time before on this airline complained that he/she could not get an upgrade......

Who's running the show here? Starwood is on our payroll. We pay their salaries. Are we now letting the employees run the Company?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I can definitely see how elite owners would feel betrayed by this development. However (and it's easy for me to say this because I'm a 1-week resale owner) I'd wait until the dust settled before I'd call in the cavalry.

The only thing that may have really changed is the unrealistic expectation of being upgraded. I'd imagine the benefit was always "subject to availability" (I could be wrong) but many people either overlooked that or were misled by unscrupulous salesmen. And that led many people to be bitterly disappointed when that expectation wasn't met instead of pleasantly surprised when it was.

Common sense dictates that as more and more properties become sold out, the less likely anyone, including elites, has for a complimentary upgrade. Given that the program GUARANTEES owners their unit if booked within the owner window, then elite owners hoping for a complimentary upgrade are going to get squeezed out.

However, as the SVO programs grows, that squeeze is going to loosen. Because the more properties they develop, the more likely owners will use the SVN system to enjoy other properties. Once those OF and OV owners start traveling, the better it will be for all of us, but especially for elite owners because that will open up inventory and that means a better chance of being upgraded.

Right now all of our options are very limited and most of us are staying at our home property. But I believe that will change as they develop more resorts. Aruba, Bermuda, Paris, London, Palm Springs, Sydney --- there are so many really exciting possibilities. The most important thing to all owners should be management's commitment to building premiere resorts in sought after locations. If they hold to that mission statement, then I think that we'll ALL be very satisfied customers.

mepiccolo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well said LisaRex. I agree that rather than leave an OF or OV unit unused they will pleasantly surprise an elite member with an upgrade rather than leave it unused. So what they are really taking away is the elite members' high expectations and in the process have to deal with less disappointed people. 10% availability for upgrades should not translate to anger when you fall into that 90% of elite members who don't get an upgrade. Unfortunately it sounds like a lot of heads are being bitten off at the front desk and if I worked there I would be happy that they were implementing this. But really, the benefit will still be given when it is available so the reality is nothing is lost - it seems Starwood is just asking elite members to be more reasonable - 10% is really such low odds for upgrades anyway I'm not sure why so many elite members are acting like it is a guaranteed privilege as opposed to lucky odds that you will fall into that small 10% On the one hand I understand the anger of elite members that they are saying this advantage is being taken away, on the other hand, I understand Starwood having less of a headache from elite members with unreasonable expectations (it was only 10%!) I'd be curious to know from other TUG members who are elite if they are upgraded down the line - a surprise lucky bonus as opposed to an expected benefit: Translates into happier members the way I see it.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I really do love all the differing Tuggers opinions and perspectives on this issue - and SVOs. Everybody is right! - well, maybe not SVO entirely. Whether or not this benefit is deeded (it is not) - two major promises were made and broken - SP value and Villa upgrades.

Why would anyone (knowledgable) buy from SVO now? The salespeople must be livid.

Yes, we like the SVO units and some parts of the system and don't need SO-SP conversion or Villa upgrades. We more care about floor location for WKV, WKORV, and maybe WPORV (our WSJ is fixed). We can plan 12 months in advance (and do) so the 1st-come/1st served still works.

As said before - the best thing SVO/SVN could do is create a fair and equitable system for reservations and upgrades - AND get with the new century and UPGRADE their archiac computer database and reservation system that would save them (or us as duke puts it) tons of money.

Bottom line for us (and probably other informed SVO owners) - is there is no reason to go through buying other VOIs to get higher Elite status or requal our other resale VOIs.

IMO, this change in benefit only strengthens the Mandatory resale market. No real reason to get to Elite status unless you really want better SO-SP conversion benefits - or wait-list possibilities or some fees waived (or having your own lounge and basket of fruit) - or get to SPG Plat if you use their hotel for travel. Not worth the $10K+ premium spent on buying from SVO over resale.

Sounds like why SVO decided to build future SVO resorts as SVN Voluntary.

Looks as if we will not being buying the other half of our EOY WPORV, or any other SVO VOIs unless they are Mandatory - and certainly no reason to get the small side unit as the LO. My belief is that resale units at WKV and WKORV (and I guess VV non-Amelia) worth >81K SOs just became more valuable.

Time will tell.

added: what do you think they are going to do with those unused units thatt would have gone towards upgrades? does the word 'rent' comes to mind? if this rent $ ends up in our pockets (since we are the owners as duke points out) as reduced MFs, then great - not going to hold my breath. More likely will be absorbed into SVO/SVN as added fat.

Last edited:

seenett

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight, again, .... Who owns these units that are being used as upgrades? Starwood? NO!, Starwood does not own them. One of us owns them and has decided not to use it. Well then, what is Starwood doing here?

This is another misunderstood issue. Who owns these units? We don't know, but it could very well be Starwood - they are the largest single owner of weeks in SVN. Unsold weeks belong to Starwood and they are responsible for maintenance and taxes until they are sold. Even a "sold out" resort doesn't mean that Starwood has sold 100% of the weeks - it means they have sold 100% of the weeks they intended to sell. They would be crazy not too keep a small percentage of inventory available for emergency room changes or mainenance issues.

Owners who trade for options or points ("decided not to use it") surrender their untis to Starwood for them to use as they please. There are no documents that say these units will be made exclusively available to other SVN owners as trades or upgrades. Starwood, as the management company, can assign traded-in units or Starwood owned units to any "inventory pool" they want to - including the SVN-owned weeks pool (which can be rented hotel style, used as promos, whatever).

Starwood uses a fairly complicated system to manage all their inventory pools, and overall it is a pretty good system. This system (as it was once explained to me by an SVN executive) tries to project owner demand for each week at each resort. The projection is based on historical demand, the ratio of sold to unsold weeks in the resorts/seasons, historical % of owners who trade out via II, historical % of internal SVN exchange requests, projected new sales per resort in the next year, projected new SVN resort openings, etc. etc. etc.

The projections are made 12 months in advance to help divide inventory into the pools, and inventories can be shifted between pools if demand changes. A good example of how this system benefits SVN members is the II "bulk deposits" Starwood makes. The deposits are made more than 12 months in advance so owners do not have to worry about "short dated" depsoits in II - owners do not feel the time crunch that non-SVN owners face when deciding whether to deposit weeks into II or not. MOST of us are probably happy that Starwood does not give II many "Big 3" resort weeks to II for non-SVN members to trade into, leaving more internal SVN inventory available to members.

The bottom line is that unless a resort sells fixed weeks and fixed units, there will need to be some system in place that prioritizes how weeks are assigned and used. I think Starwood has a pretty good system overall that keeps most members happy most of the time.

I think Starwood made a mistake by offering so many "premiums" to create the Elite program. Even knowing just a little about their inventory system, I doubt this "villa upgrade" feature would have been sustainable. They are trying to nip it now to avoid biggeer messes in the future.

Last edited:

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
I talked to Suzanne yesterday for about 1/2 an hour and I give her a lot of credit for calling. I will not rehash the issues already discussed but i do think the upgrades on planes is a great analogy, how many times have you seen demand outweigh the supply, and they stiil do upgrades.

We discussed the points at length and she does understand and said they are looking at the devaluation issue. But she was also open to other idea's, so to be proactive I sent her a list of some solid (I believe) and some off the wall, you can decide. If you have any additions please send them to her because it can work. I also sent her Marriot's policy on multi-week owners that she was not aware of.

So here is what I sent, please add to the list and send them to her:
-Additional discounts on food at restaurants
-Earlier later check-in
-Concierge to call for additional reservations
-Discounts of points for hotel stays-ex. 12,000 point stay has a code for only 10K for elites
-Increase options for points (as we discussed, these are already de-valued)
-Bank or borrow options
-Allow earlier reservation windows, whether 1 hour earlier 8 months out, or a week earlier, etc
-Bring back upgrades for level 5
-Ability to make reservations at same location at one time, example Ownership of 148 k in Hawaii could be booked at normal 12 months, but book a consecutive week at the same location using other options at same time
-no $99 or $35 SVN fee
-allow me to e-mail my request, but have it reviewed first at request date.
-The link and explanation from Marriott is enclosed.

I think we CAN help make a difference

mepiccolo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was SPECIFICALLY Marriott's multi-week 13-month window privilege which kept us from buying a Marriott timeshare last year. It is a policy that may make a few people happy but overall decreases the value of owning a timeshare for one week owners and, as in our case, completely keeps a lot of people from wanting to play the Marriott game at all. Timeshare is addictive -but first you have to get talked into that first purchase and this 13-month window for multi-week owners will keep alot of people turned off to timeshares at all. Who wants to spend that kind of money to be treated like redheaded stepchildren? It would be a huge mistake for Starwood to ever make that move. If Starwood ever stupidly adopted a policy like that we would be one on a long list of people who would sell our Westin timeshare. I believe it would be in Starwood's best interest to have many people owning their timeshares instead of catering to make just a few happy.

Last edited:

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
I thought about this and knew it would not be popular for single week owners. I can understand why, but i do not think the numbers and the math would cause a big issue. There are 1300 5* members. I do not think based on the growth of Starwood that this would impact availability. Marriot owners can chime in, but keep in mind, this was one of a couiple of ideas, there may be a perk in there somewhere.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good idea, Negma. I think a constructive dialog is much better than just getting angry and upset.

I think the $99/$35 SVN fee is already waived at least for 5*.

Some benefits I like about the SPG Platinum Program that could be applied here:

1.) Upgrade to best available room at time of check-in. I think they assign these a day or two before arrival. I get a suite about 1/2 the time. Sometimes nothing is available but that's OK too.

2.) Access to the executive lounge at hotels that have them, redgardless of room reserved. Overseas this includes free wine and sometimes other liquor, very nice appetizers (often enough to not need dinner), breakfast, etc. SVO could have such a lounge for its Elite members and would help bring them together to form a tighter knit community. I've been invited to several management parties. It would be nice to have them more often.

3.) 50% bonus on Starpoints for eligible hotel stays.

4.) 500 Starppoints as an amenity for staying at a Starwood property (even when staying with Starpoints).

5.) Late check-out - Already available for Elites.

6.) Free internet access - already available to everyone