• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2020] A little stock market sense

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
Of course it is. If you look back on index charts to 1900 (124 years), you will see down markets, and usually bear markets, with every recession/depression. The closest thing to a failure was the recessions of the 1950's (1950, 1955, and 1958) when a massive bull market was interrupted by modest sell-offs during the recessions. However if you compare the sell-off to the rate the bull market was rising in the 1950's, that differential would constitute bear markets.

Tops are much harder to define. Hence my hold cash until a recession and buy quality during the recession; and then hold the stocks.

Bluntly, when I compare the historical record to the mantra "you can't time the market" - I back the historical record (and my personal experience).
Sounds good. Doesn't the stock market usually bottom out before any recession starts? Once there is a recession officially declared stocks have already had a huge run up from the bottom.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
The number one thing to understand about stock market investments is only 10% of investors actually make any money meaning 90% of investors either take losses or make nothing after inflation is factored in. The main reason being is that diy stock market investing would be similar to diy surgery, imo.

Bill
that's not what the data shows. in fact it shows the opposite of your conclusion. it shows that active stock picking and trying to time the market by individual investors is a fool's errand so investors should just buy low price tax efficient broad market index funds whenever they have the money to do so preferably on a long term regular basis and never sell.

the data also shows women are better investors than men because they don't do stupid man stuff like believe they are smarter than everyone else . so they just buy index funds and never sell them.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds good. Doesn't the stock market usually bottom out before any recession starts? Once there is a recession officially declared stocks have already had a huge run up from the bottom.
stocks are generally a leading indicator by about six months. for a long recession (longer than 2 quarters or six months) what you write may not be true. but it is true that once a recession is "over" stocks have generally been rising for months.

unemployment in contrast is a lagging indicator.

Bonds are worth owning because stocks are riskier and because most investors can't stomach the volatility of an all stock portfolio. They make behavioral errors like trying to time the market. Modern portfolio theory shows you can own a diverse portfolio of asset classes and get nearly the same or even higher returns with reduced volatility, and for stocks/bonds the sweet spot is about 80% stocks and 20% bonds.

Other than for tax loss harvesting, rebalancing in a tax advantaged account, or for charitable giving, we have never sold an index fund in 40 years of investing.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you wait for the trailing "official recession" notification. you are right. But the recession is in the news in real time, it's there for anybody to observe. The final timing indicator was given by the :Smiler" at the beginning of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to time the market is fool's errand.
There are lots of folks that are very good at timing the market. They are traders, not investors, and have vast knowledge in technical analysis, position sizing and trading strategies.

It's kind of like golf. Is it difficult? Absolutely. Impossible? Not if you're willing to put in the effort.

Brett

Reaction score
There are lots of folks that are very good at timing the market. They are traders, not investors, and have vast knowledge in technical analysis, position sizing and trading strategies.

It's kind of like golf. Is it difficult? Absolutely. Impossible? Not if you're willing to put in the effort.

There are probably lots of folks that think they are good at stock market timing. But there's a good reason the "pros" cannot consistently outperform the market

No actively managed stock or bond funds outperformed the market convincingly and regularly over the last five years
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/02/business/stock-market-index-funds.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_timing

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

For me, trading stocks and long term investing didn't produce enough gains when I was young because I didn't have enough principle. Buying real estate back then allowed us to control $50,000+ with $5,000 down. Eventually we bought mutual funds which were supposed to have significant gains over the years but the gains were less than those in real estate. Maybe 12% to 20% tops. With real estate, our gains are better than stocks, probably because of the ability to borrow most of the funds needed, where as the stocks required all funding upfront. I'm not to the point of wanting to sell the real estate and go into stocks.

Bill

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

alpha exists, but after costs of obtaining said alpha, it disappears. on average the universe of actively managed mutual funds underperforms the market by about the total of their expenses, which mathemathically is the only possibility.

technical analysis is a cult with no scientific basis and no proven ability to predict the future. It's basically a delusion.

the chances of an individual investor outperforming the indexes over a long period of time is negligible and the majority of investors should just buy a global stock index fund and a us bond index fund and be done.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, trading stocks and long term investing didn't produce enough gains when I was young because I didn't have enough principle. Buying real estate back then allowed us to control $50,000+ with $5,000 down. Eventually we bought mutual funds which were supposed to have significant gains over the years but the gains were less than those in real estate. Maybe 12% to 20% tops. With real estate, our gains are better than stocks, probably because of the ability to borrow most of the funds needed, where as the stocks required all funding upfront. I'm not to the point of wanting to sell the real estate and go into stocks.

Bill
Good point, but being from high property tax states, we never made much profit. at least stocks/bonds returned dividends/interest

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good point, but being from high property tax states, we never made much profit. at least stocks/bonds returned dividends/interest

We use rents to pay the taxes and other bills. Basically, rents increase almost every year and real estate values increase every year. I guess you could say we are long on real estate in the way some here are long on stocks.

Bill

Brett

Reaction score

Bill

Real estate is a good investment option. I have invested in REIT's - "Real Estate Investment Trusts" which trade similar to stocks

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/investing/real-estate-vs-stocks-which-is-the-better-investment

Brett

Reaction score
Saving 6% Is New Standard for 401(k) Plans
https://www.wsj.com/personal-financ...ntribution-plan-six-percent-paycheck-0eb25703

NEW HIRES ARE PUTTING more of each paycheck into their 401(k). Not necessarily by choice. Nearly a third of companies that use automatic 401(k) enrollment
now start workers saving at 6% of their salaries or higher, about double the share of organizations that did so a decade ago, according to Vanguard Group.
A default 6% contribution rate was once considered too onerous for younger workers and too paternalistic by those who favor leaving decisions to individuals

Last year, the average employee with a 401(k) account at Vanguard saved 11.7% of pay, including matching contributions, an all-time high. The jump to 6% automatic savings is a big reason for the rise in those savings rates

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saving 6% Is New Standard for 401(k) Plans
https://www.wsj.com/personal-financ...ntribution-plan-six-percent-paycheck-0eb25703

NEW HIRES ARE PUTTING more of each paycheck into their 401(k). Not necessarily by choice. Nearly a third of companies that use automatic 401(k) enrollment
now start workers saving at 6% of their salaries or higher, about double the share of organizations that did so a decade ago, according to Vanguard Group.
A default 6% contribution rate was once considered too onerous for younger workers and too paternalistic by those who favor leaving decisions to individuals

Last year, the average employee with a 401(k) account at Vanguard saved 11.7% of pay, including matching contributions, an all-time high. The jump to 6% automatic savings is a big reason for the rise in those savings rates

There is one number that I have been looking around for and have not been able to come up with and that is what percentage of stock in major indexes are owned by 401K plans? I could hazard a guess but truthfully I have no clue. There is certainly a floor on the market because of 401k plans where there is a perpetual need to buy stocks at what are historically inflated prices. Wage inflation plus participation would seem to be one of the leg's this market props it's self up on. Now that Index funds are a popular option the market purchases are made at any price. There is no reason to think this action goes away. It is certainly promoted by most every corporation. I assume the percentage of 401k ownership keeps growing over time.

Last edited:

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
The number one thing to understand about stock market investments is only 10% of investors actually make any money meaning 90% of investors either take losses or make nothing after inflation is factored in. The main reason being is that diy stock market investing would be similar to diy surgery, imo.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You guys are probably in the made money group so good for you. Statistics show that only 10% of traders make money all things considered. In this 10% of those that make money in stocks, the vast majority, about 80%, start out wealthy and have enough money in principle invested in stocks at an early age.

The average Joe investor with a 401k has about $280,000. Considering that to get this average, a person is contributing the max amount for an employer match for decades, has invested a good portion of their income.

Bill

Why 90% of Stock Market Traders are in Loss?

It’s a shocking statistic — approximately 90% of retail investors lose money in the stock market over the long run. With the rise of commission-free trading apps like Robinhood, more people than ever are trying their hand at stock picking. Unfortunately, the vast majority are learning the hard way that investing is harder than it looks.

The wealthiest 10% of Americans own 93% of stocks even with market participation at a record high​

Average 401(k) balance by age​

AGEAVERAGE BALANCE
Under 25$7,351
25 to 34$37,557
35 to 44$91,281
45 to 54$168,646
55 to 64$244,750
65 and older$272,588

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Years ago when an in-law passed away and we had to get a tax I’d number and fill out estate returns I asked the cpa how an average person handles all this. He said that the average person doesn’t have any money left when they pass away.

Reactions: Tia

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Years ago when an in-law passed away and we had to get a tax I’d number and fill out estate returns I asked the cpa how an average person handles all this. He said that the average person doesn’t have any money left when they pass away.

This is true. About 50% of seniors die with less than $10,000 in savings in America. Close to 30% of retirees have nothing saved and die with nothing. About 3.2% of retirees have a million saved for retirement. About 0.1% have 5 million or more. These are averages which are skewed because of the highest savings. If you go by median savings for retirement a couple in the middle of the median has saved about $87,000 for retirement and about 50% of Americans are living on their ss checks with less than $5,000 in savings.

Bill

Brett

Reaction score
This is true. About 50% of seniors die with less than $10,000 in savings in America. Close to 30% of retirees have nothing saved and die with nothing. About 3.2% of retirees have a million saved for retirement. About 0.1% have 5 million or more. These are averages which are skewed because of the highest savings. If you go by median savings for retirement a couple in the middle of the median has saved about $87,000 for retirement and about 50% of Americans are living on their ss checks with less than $5,000 in savings.

Bill

According to Fortune magazine, the average baby boomer’s net worth falls between $970,000 and $1.2 million
https://www.cfaac.org/news/great-wealth-transfer-baby-boomers-take-note

But we're not average, right Bill?
And the average net worth of the TUG Lounge posters ................. !!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
According to Fortune magazine, the average baby boomer’s net worth falls between $970,000 and $1.2 million
https://www.cfaac.org/news/great-wealth-transfer-baby-boomers-take-note

But we're not average, right Bill?
And the average net worth of the TUG Lounge posters ................. !!

My guess is the average net worth of Tuggers is above average because the fact that most Tuggers use luxury vacation resort timeshare properties. My guess is you are in the top 3% regarding retiree wealth and you know a thing or two about investing which is why you made the top 3%.

So the article you linked is using averages. Averages include the billionaires which make the average high. A more realistic number is the median, imo. Half are under and half are over using the median.

Bill

What is the average wealth of a retired person?

Typical Net Worth at Retirement
Age RangeMedian Net WorthAverage Net Worth
55-64$212,500$1,175,900
65-74$266,400$1,217,700
75+$254,800$977,600

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
So the article you linked is using averages. Averages include the billionaires which make the average high. A more realistic number is the median, imo. Half are under and half are over using the median.
Correct, the median is a better representation of the economic state of retirees.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Why 90% of Stock Market Traders are in Loss?

It’s a shocking statistic — approximately 90% of retail investors lose money in the stock market over the long run. With the rise of commission-free trading apps like Robinhood, more people than ever are trying their hand at stock picking. Unfortunately, the vast majority are learning the hard way that investing is harder than it looks.
The author of that article title has an interesting definition of "lose money". Right in the article, it states:

• Staggering data reveals 90% of retail investors underperform the broader market

So, according to your great sources, when an investor underperforms the broader market, that is considered a "loss".

Do you realize how ridiculous that is, Bill??? So let me get this straight, if an investor's stock portfolio gains 24%, but the broader market gains 25%, you consider that a "loss". You have absolutely zero credibility, and so does your so-called sources.

Bill also wrote:

The average Joe investor with a 401k has about $280,000. Considering that to get this average, a person is contributing the max amount for an employer match for decades, has invested a good portion of their income.

Do you have any proof or data that backs up your claim that the average person contributed even close to the "max amount for an employer match for decades"??? Also, how did that average person invest their 401k funds? If they only put it in the default money market account, which earned close to 0% for the good part of the last decade, don't you think that makes a big difference in the size of their 401k fund?

There are just too many variables to make any conclusions based on that average 401k fund size. For example:
  • How many years did they actually invest?
  • What percentage / amount did they contribute?
  • How did they invest their money?
  • Did they try to "time the market" with their investing?
  • Did they take out loans against their 401k over the years?
And those are just a few of the variables. Again, you are trying to make some grand conclusions that most people lose money in the market, when you have zero proof.

I said it before and I'll say it again: at least your posts are entertaining due to the ridiculousness of them! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Kurt

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
The author of that article title has an interesting definition of "lose money". Right in the article, it states:

So, according to your great sources, when an investor underperforms the broader market, that is considered a "loss".

Do you realize how ridiculous that is, Bill??? So let me get this straight, if an investor's stock portfolio gains 24%, but the broader market gains 25%, you consider that a "loss". You have absolutely zero credibility, and so does your so-called sources.

Bill also wrote:

Do you have any proof or data that backs up your claim that the average person contributed even close to the "max amount for an employer match for decades"??? Also, how did that average person invest their 401k funds? If they only put it in the default money market account, which earned close to 0% for the good part of the last decade, don't you think that makes a big difference in the size of their 401k fund?

There are just too many variables to make any conclusions based on that average 401k fund size. For example:
And those are just a few of the variables. Again, you are trying to make some grand conclusions that most people lose money in the market, when you have zero proof.

I said it before and I'll say it again: at least your posts are entertaining due to the ridiculousness of them! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Kurt
I've wondered how long it would be before someone would come out and just blast that "90% lose" comment, because I was 99% sure the "90%" meant underperform. And that is just one level of the inanity of the comment. It is the most important level since it is just plain wrong, but not the only level of mis-understanding. For that to be true, there would probably have to be 50,000,000 accounts out there day-trading options and always losing on the time decay and the transaction cost.

Anyway, I think it is more accurate to say this entire thread lacks credibility. One of the labors of being a pro investor was realizing that everyone who ever had a brokerage account (or even a 401K I guess) considers themselves a stock mkt genius and isn't afraid to trumpet it.

If the mkt crashes will this thread disappear? Or will it get more wild?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I certainly don’t consider myself a stock market genius. I didn’t panic during the crashes, I listened to my financial advisor. I have made big gains, and if I did,i assume people in the know made more.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Bill also wrote:

Kurt

I doubt you have an understanding of the articles because your variable list is the reason why for most people stocks do not actually work out. I would add to your list the number 1 reason people don't make money in stocks is they are not financially literate. You seem to think that the data is wrong. Why ? I didn't create this data. Most of it comes from data the government provides.

For you to claim I made these stats up is hilarious. You often post complaints with no real explanation other than Kurt says so. This is another example and it is too funny. I get that you did very well with stocks but most investors don't is what the data reveals.

Bill

Kurt's list of variables which kind of proves the articles right.