• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2020] A little stock market sense

RENTER

Reaction score
Will never understand why owing everything when it is free to buy is so controversial and hard to understand for people. I created a total stock market mutual funds primarly using sectors, a few stocks, bears and treasuries.

I created a total market pie and sliced it into different pieces and sell the hot pieces and buy the cold pieces.

I take the gambling and guessing out of the market.

I take the emotions out of it. It forces me to sell high and buy low.

Again, I will never understand why this is so difficult for people to understand. But why should I care, I will be alright during crashes and actually wish for them so I can rub it in my critics faces.

RENTER

Reaction score
You don’t help yourself by claiming you post pictures of your holdings and gloat.
People attack me and I attack back. Revenge is sweet. And I get my revenge without doing anything because they did it to themselves.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
Will never understand why owing everything when it is free to buy is so controversial and hard to understand for people. I created a total stock market mutual funds primarly using sectors, a few stocks, bears and treasuries.

I created a total market pie and sliced it into different pieces and sell the hot pieces and buy the cold pieces.

Again, I will never understand why this is so difficult for people to understand. But why should I care, I will be alright during crashes and actually wish for them so I can rub it in my critics faces.
Are you market timing?

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for you. But I do not want to figure out what the great companies are because they can go bad at anytime. I do not want to guess and I do not need to beat the market. Just match and be ahead because of the taxes I saved with tax harvesting.

You also missed the point that when Nivida does drop to the 2 cents like you said., I had taken out all the profits everytime they hit 10%. At the same time my Nivida bear will be soaring and I will be taking profits from there.

Right now I am taking those Nivida profits and parking in the floating rate fund that is paying over 5%.

So during those periods your stocks have a 30% to 50% drop , I will be posting pictures showing me doing just fine.

Oh and by the way, my returns have been beating Warren Buffet and the market over a bull and bear cycle.
Your comment about Nvidia is what confuses me. If you sell after 10% gain, and buy something else at the bottom of your list, when do you ever get back into Nvidia? (or the equivalent ETF)? If Nvidia was on a bull run, and goes up 100% (which it did recently), you would miss out on the majority of the run. it wouldn't be on the bottom of the rankings. and might not be for years. Please explain.

Investing style is individual. There is no one perfect way. An investor tends to do well when the style the person invests with matches their personality type. (Assuming, of course, that a person has the personality to invest at all. Some don't, and just live for the moment until there are no more moments. . . )

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your comment about Nvidia is what confuses me. If you sell after 10% gain, and buy something else at the bottom of your list, when do you ever get back into Nvidia? (or the equivalent ETF)? If Nvidia was on a bull run, and goes up 100% (which it did recently), you would miss out on the majority of the run. it wouldn't be on the bottom of the rankings. and might not be for years. Please explain.

Investing style is individual. There is no one perfect way. An investor tends to do well when the style the person invests with matches their personality type. (Assuming, of course, that a person has the personality to invest at all. Some don't, and just live for the moment until there are no more moments. . . )
This was my question too.

Brett

Reaction score
If you match the market and created tax losses at the same time, you beat the market.

When others drop 30% to 50%, and I am up 10%, I beat the market.

I never have to sell anything that is down 30% to 50% unless I want to create a tax loss

I beat the market over one bull and bear cycle.

All for spending 5 minutes a day

By the way, the trades are free

Will never understand why people cannot understand simple concepts

Will never understand why people learn from the mistakes of others such as those who believed in buy and hold and were crushed in 2008 and had to sell because they lost their jobs and were losing their homes. Like I posted, I saved that widow by taking her out of a growth and income fund that dropped 50% and broke it up just like I am doing now.

Will never understand why people do not understand diversification just like those who told me in 1999, they were diversified. Then cried like a baby when they were wiped out. Yeah, they were diversified, they had all the Baby Bells.

People attack me and I attack back. Revenge is sweet. And I get my revenge without doing anything because they did it to themselves.

So you sell stocks when they are "hot" and buy stocks (or sectors) when they are "cold". But you still cannot get greater returns than the S&P 500 index but yet somehow you "beat the market".

I'm thinking that's market timing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_timing

RENTER

Reaction score

I never get out of the investments. Every investment has an equal amount and when that amount has a 10% profit i take that and get back to my base line.

you are exactly correct. this system was set up by my friend for those who are scared of the stock market and had been wiped out in the past. It plays offense and defense at the same time. When the market crashes, all they have to do is look and see they survived and half their account is up.

This is not for another friend who is a gambler. It is to boring for him. But his wife loves it for her accounts. Especially after he lost $400,000 with his, trying to time the market. This system does not time the market. It lets the market tell what is up and what is down.

As for posting pictures for revenge. It was a picture from my friend who designed this that convinced me it works. He showed me how he survived the dot.com crash and actually was making money. Back then it was even harder because investment choices were limited. ETF's, bear funds, fractional trading and free commissions did not exist.

I jumped for it because it was an easy plan to understand and it worked. Yet the elites, many corporate and tech workers told people it was a joke. One in particular was a Lucent Executive who everyone went to for stock market advise. My friend would tell me that guy is a joke because he didn't know what a medicare supplement was and many other things. He lived in corporate la la land and knew nothing.

After the dot.com bubble broke, he lost 8 million and his job. Ended up having to move and moved right into tornado country and lost everything.

The pictures are to teach those scared of the stock market you can survive while rubbing it in the faces of those elites who think they are smarter than others but are not. And that is why revenge is sweet because we do nothing and they do it to themselves.

The guy who lost $400,000 is another overpaid corporate executive. Once his $275,000 salary dries up, he is in trouble. Another person with charisma which helps people believe his BS. His wife will not let him touch what she has left with a 10ft pole.

RENTER

Reaction score
Are you market timing?
no I am letting the market tell me what to buy and sell. I take profits at 10% and then put it in something that is down or a treasury.

Market timing is going in and out of the market and trying to guess when the top or bottom is. I am rebalancing . market timing is trying to hit a homerun.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
no I am letting the market tell me what to buy and sell. I take profits at 10% and then put it in something that is down or a treasury.

Market timing is going in and out of the market and trying to guess when the top or bottom is. I am rebalancing . market timing is trying to hit a homerun.
This strategy works if you only buy stocks that go up. What happens when you have a stock that goes down? It's been known to occur.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Oh and by the way, my returns have been beating Warren Buffet and the market over a bull and bear cycle.
If you beat Warren Buffet and the market all the time, what the heck are you doing here on a timeshare forum?!? You should be a multi-billionaire if you are telling the truth.

Hmmm...

Kurt

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The Single Best Dividend Stock Yielding Over 8%

Richard

Brett

Reaction score
its called rebalancing

Good for you. But I do not want to figure out what the great companies are because they can go bad at anytime. I do not want to guess and I do not need to beat the market. Just match and be ahead because of the taxes I saved with tax harvesting.

You also missed the point that when Nivida does drop to the 2 cents like you said., I had taken out all the profits everytime they hit 10%. At the same time my Nivida bear will be soaring and I will be taking profits from there.

Right now I am taking those Nivida profits and parking in the floating rate fund that is paying over 5%.

So during those periods your stocks have a 30% to 50% drop , I will be posting pictures showing me doing just fine.

yeah, it's "market timing"

But I agree with some of the other posters, if you get better returns than Warren Buffet then why waste your time here

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score

So you put 10000 in a stock and when it reached 11000 you sell $1000 of the stock or $11000 of the stock?

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lot of stupid people around.
I have a friend whose husband needed care. She was shocked to find out that she couldn’t put him on Medicaid and keep tboth their pensions and social security for herself. She even hired a lawyer who had to explain it to her.
Some people never understand. When my sister divorced her husband for cheating on her she started going after any money he had or would ever get. A few years later he passed away. She kept going after everything and if one lawyer didn't get what she thought she should get she'd fire that lawyer and hire another. The last I heard is her last lawyer told her that they were firing her and would refuse to work for her no matter what she would pay. I think in the end she paid more for lawyers then they ever got for her. I don't blame the lawyers as both my older brother and myself will have nothing to do with her and don't even claim to be related. I remember talking to her years ago and if you don't agree with her you are wrong and the lowest thing on earth. Sure glad I'm not like her.

RENTER

Reaction score
So you put 10000 in a stock and when it reached 11000 you sell $1000 of the stock or $11000 of the stock?
$1000 and I bring it back down to $10,000. With the $1,000 i will park it in a short term treasury and dollar cost average back in those that had dropped to $9,000 and bring them back to the $10,000.

It is buy and hold with rebalancing. Some people rebalance every year, quarter or month. I rebalance when an investment hits 10% profit.

RENTER

Reaction score
Some people never understand. When my sister divorced her husband for cheating on her she started going after any money he had or would ever get. A few years later he passed away. She kept going after everything and if one lawyer didn't get what she thought she should get she'd fire that lawyer and hire another. The last I heard is her last lawyer told her that they were firing her and would refuse to work for her no matter what she would pay. I think in the end she paid more for lawyers then they ever got for her. I don't blame the lawyers as both my older brother and myself will have nothing to do with her and don't even claim to be related. I remember talking to her years ago and if you don't agree with her you are wrong and the lowest thing on earth. Sure glad I'm not like her.
I have seen that and your right they pay more in lawyer fees. One wife thought her female lawyer would give her a discount because they were females. Then blew a gasket when she did not get the discount. In the end she used 6 lawyers and only got what the 1st lawyer told her.

RENTER

Reaction score

But I agree with some of the other posters, if you get better returns than Warren Buffet then why waste your time here

it is buy and hold and rebalancing. But since you do not understand how Buffet had the head start I did not have, I am sure you will never understand this simple system.

So I will assume you are well paid because that is one of the jokes God plays on us. Well paid people with perfect grammar have no common sense and cannot understand simple concepts. They have to complicate everything so people think they are smart.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
I normally don't take the side of the cheating spouse but in this case I might make an exception. :)

RENTER

Reaction score
Is that all there is to it? So all of these people paying obscene fees to financial planners just need to buy low and sell high?
Correct. This SIMPLE system forces them to do that. It is based on the market value of the investment and not the stock price and if it is over or below the base line the person set for each investment.

With commission free trading, fractional shares and more and more sector ETF's, it is a SIMPLE system that they can do for themselves.

Select how many different investments they want and put an equal amount in each. I use 100. Then pick when they want to rebalance. I spend 5 minutes a day including signing in and seeing what went up 10% and I take that 10% out.

So sad that people who many consider smart can't understand it. But I am sure they could if they want to. They are just the type of person that if you say the sun is yellow, they will say it is green. They just like to argue.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
it is buy and hold and rebalancing. But since you do not understand how Buffet had the head start I did not have, I am sure you will never understand this simple system.

So I will assume you are well paid because that is one of the jokes God plays on us. Well paid people with perfect grammar have no common sense and cannot understand simple concepts. They have to complicate everything so people think they are smart.
I was an English teacher. Great grammar, probably not well paid. Do I have common sense?