• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2020] A little stock market sense

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the best decisions I ever made was 21 years ago when I retired. I had the choice with my Pension to take a very large lump sum or monthly payments for the rest of my life (with half of my monthly payment for my 20 year younger ex-wife when I die). Thank God I took the monthly payments, Knowing me, if I had taken the lump sum, I'd be a pauper today...

George

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
These Are The Ten Best Performing Real Estate
Funds

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
A correction now and then is a good thing. Opportunity awaits!

Kurt
Opportunity awaits only for the market timers who sold high to raise the cash needed for the "opportunity" to reinvest at lower, maybe much lower prices.

The "buy-and-hold" investor, by definition, has only the amount of their next (comparatively very small) regular contribution to take advantage of any selloff opportunities.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Opportunity awaits only for the market timers who sold high to raise the cash needed for the "opportunity" to reinvest at lower, maybe much lower prices.

The "buy-and-hold" investor, by definition, has only the amount of their next (comparatively very small) regular contribution to take advantage of any selloff opportunities.
I consider myself a buy-and-hold investor, but I always have some extra funds waiting for market dips. Has worked well for me.

Kurt

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I consider myself a buy-and-hold investor, but I always have some extra funds waiting for market dips. Has worked well for me.

Kurt
Wouldn't you have put those extra funds to work on some previous dip? How much of a dip is enough to deploy any extra funds? Did you take advantage of the "opportunity" two weeks ago? Did you take advantage of the "opportunity" today, now that "the market" is in "correction territory" from the market top?

Let us all know when "opportunity" arrives!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wouldn't you have put those extra funds to work on some previous dip? How much of a dip is enough to deploy any extra funds? Did you take advantage of the "opportunity" two weeks ago? Did you take advantage of the "opportunity" today, now that "the market" is in "correction territory" from the market top?

Let us all know when "opportunity" arrives!
I don't deploy all of my savings directly to investments with each paycheck. And yes, I actually bought some yesterday and today, thanks for asking. Will my guess be right? Who knows, but I'm generally happy when putting in a little extra on local lows.

Also, if you are a strict dollar cost average investor, analysis has shown that a more volatile market is better in the long run than a steadily increasing market.

Kurt

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't deploy all of my savings directly to investments with each paycheck. And yes, I actually bought some yesterday and today, thanks for asking. Will my guess be right? Who knows, but I'm generally happy when putting in a little extra on local lows.

Also, if you are a strict dollar cost average investor, analysis has shown that a more volatile market is better in the long run than a steadily increasing market.

Kurt
So you are a buy-and-hold investor with a little market timing on the side?

You are buying now, but you posted "opportunity awaits"?

It is all very confusing.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What Is the Graham Number?

Richard

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So you are a buy-and-hold investor with a little market timing on the side?
Sort of, but since I am in accumulation mode, I don't try to sell on the local highs so that is why I consider myself mostly a buy-and-hold investor. So basically just try a little market timing on the dips only. My idea of a market timer is someone who tries to time the market on both sells and buys.

You are buying now, but you posted "opportunity awaits"?

It is all very confusing.
I don't know where an absolute bottom will be but I just buy on larger dips. I feel like there will be more dips coming, hence the "opportunity awaits" comment. Of course, I could be wrong, who knows? Not very confusing to me, at least.

Kurt

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sound liked that Ukrainian situation is going to causes more lower prices in the stock market. IMHO.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sound liked that Ukrainian situation is going to causes more lower prices in the stock market. IMHO.

I was up early watching the futures tank. I bet you are right.

Bill

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
The headlines I see are 'Russia launches full-scale war against Ukraine'

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sold my short NASDAQ EFT yesterday. I'm waiting for the next bounce up to re-establish my short position. Holding my dividend stocks - they were bought for cashflow. Dividend is secure for the next few years, anyways.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Kurt

That is interesting. I would be wary of crypto's because of the possibility of government sponsored hacking. Dollars seem to do ok in times of war because it is the world currency for now anyway. The problem with dollars is inflation. Gold prices do well in times of war. Back in the Iran conflict gold went up over 125% in value so there could be an upside with gold again. Gold has started moving up. US stocks often loose value in war times. This war could cause stocks to loose value faster and longer because of other weaknesses in the world economy or maybe the fed will be able to balance and print and keep equities rising.

Warren says to stay invested in businesses but many businesses are having problems globally. Could Warren be wrong ?

Bill

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is interesting. I would be wary of crypto's because of the possibility of government sponsored hacking. Dollars seem to do ok in times of war because it is the world currency for now anyway. The problem with dollars is inflation.

I cleaned out my small investment portfolio a while back including a small foray into crypto. I gave my Son about $40k of gold and silver coins to put in his larger gun safe and just put a small amount back into crypto by buying shares in the Grayscale Bitcoin Trust. It is like a closed end mutual fund that holds only Bitcoin. What I like is that it sells at a 25% discount to spot Bitcoin...

George

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buffet is in the situation where he can't sell. If he unloaded his portfolio, it would cause a bear market all by itself.

There are advantages for being small.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
He could be, but how many people do you know that have gotten rich going against Warren's advice?

Kurt

Warren's investments could loose 50% of their value and he would still be in the top 5 of wealthiest people in the USA. When everyday people are older and loose 50% value of their investments they would need to play the long run scenario which is proven to work if there is enough time. So if you have more time than money it makes sense to stay invested, imo. If you have more money than time it might not, imo.

Bill

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
With all the death and destruction, I hate to say it, but...
Six months from now, Ukraine will be in the rear view mirror.
We'll have said our good-byes, and moved on to the next crisis.
And yes, the market will be higher.