• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Southcape Resort

mweinberg

Reaction score
Ok so there are in fact actual Festiva owners at 7 of your 27 affiliated resorts. Is Outfield selling fixed weeks at any of your 27 resorts including the seven resorts where some owner's actually own weeks? Outfield has only been referenced online as trying to get owners to swap their weeks for points and cash. Do they have any other sales role for Festiva other than selling the Adventure Club Points? I own at one of the 20 resorts where there are no actual Festiva owners, and I have been contacted by Outfield by phone (and I assume it was Festiva onsite) repeatedly about swapping my weeks to FAC points, but not once have I been contacted offering me weeks for sale at my resort or at any other Festiva affiliated resort. I know an owner at Church Street Inn, and they have had identical experiences with Outfield trying to get them to swap to points even though Church Street Inn is one of your core resorts where you tout owners. They told me that they have not been approached once about buying weeks at their resort since Festiva took over.

By the way like the owners at The Atrium, Southscape, Sandcastle, and numerous other resorts where Festiva has taken over, the Church Street Inn owners are also are very upset about the huge increases in MF's since Festiva took over Church Street Inn and upset by the assessments for renovations, both of which seem to occur at every resort Festiva takes control of. Church Street Inn might have owners, but according to my friend they don't have enough owners to stop Festiva from renovating, assessing, or ratcheting up MF's annually.

My experience at the Sandcastle is the same. Outfield is pushing hard for conversion to FAC points, but they say nothing about the sale of weeks. Cliff Hagberg said in an earlier post here that they WILL be marketing weeks, but that they can't yet because of something in the mortgage, whatever that means.

I can't imagine Outfield trying to sell weeks at the Sandcastle when they told me that "everyone is going to points," "weeks are becoming increasingly difficult to trade," and, my personal favorite, that the best thing that could happen to me as an owner would be for "a hurricane to flatten the place."

Who knows? Maybe they have an entirely different set of lies that they use to sell deeded weeks with.

Michael

mweinberg

Reaction score
FestivaRep--

I'm still interested in hearing why an employee of Outfield Marketing identified themselves as "a division of Festiva Adventure Club" when she left a message on my answering machine.

Michael

Classylassy523

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deed not worth the paper it is written on

My experience at the Sandcastle is the same. Outfield is pushing hard for conversion to FAC points, but they say nothing about the sale of weeks. Cliff Hagberg said in an earlier post here that they WILL be marketing weeks, but that they can't yet because of something in the mortgage, whatever that means.

I can't imagine Outfield trying to sell weeks at the Sandcastle when they told me that "everyone is going to points," "weeks are becoming increasingly difficult to trade," and, my personal favorite, that the best thing that could happen to me as an owner would be for "a hurricane to flatten the place."

Who knows? Maybe they have an entirely different set of lies that they use to sell deeded weeks with.

Michael

I was told that Sandcastle's weeks can't even be given away on E-Bay and that the deeds weren't worth the paper they were written on.

Talk about walking away from that meeting with a warm, fuzzy feeling.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Of course they can. They can also incorporate in another country. I was asking why Festiva did not incorporate in the same state as they located their home office like most businesses do? Why did Festiva incorporate in Nevada when their closest timeshare and closest office is in Branson Missouri? Did an executive go to Vegas on a junkett and decide to incorporate on a whim while they were there, or is there some big tax advantage or legal limits on law suits that is available to Nevada corporations that is not afforded to NC corporations?

Perhaps Festiva incorporated in Nevada because Nevada has legal brothels making it legal for Nevada corporations to screw their customers.

You know, I think the owners at Sandcastle and Southcape have a lot to be concerned about regarding the goals of NEVS.

Based on the first hand reports made here, I think Outfield uses scare tactics and deceptive practices to sell the Festiva product.

I think Festiva has made some questionable decisions in terms of aligning their company with NEVS and Outfield. I am alarmed by the lack of control the Festiva seems to be exerting in curbing Outfield's use of these practices. But that is a decision they will live with.

To use an analogy you enjoy, I look at Outfield like boosters at a major football college (Festiva U). Sometimes they get a little out of hand, and engage in questionable practices in recruiting. Sure the college benefits in the short-term, but suffers in the long run. But do you completely blame the college when the NCAA fines the school for a "lack of institutional control".

But I find all this other rhetoric and speculation unseemly. All the "Why are they incorporated in NV, why did they get a Texas phone number, why does google list them as having an address in TX, etc?"

I fail to understand how that innuendo helps the Sandcastle or Southcape owners in their struggle today.

ChrisH

Reaction score
They don't want any "WEEKS OWNERS LEFT"

NEVS bought all the winter weeks, all units weeks 1-10 and weeks 45-52., plus some foreclosure inventory. They are now waiting to convert enough people to FAC and get those additional deeds under the Festiva name so that the owners association will ALWAYS be outnumbered by their votes, no matter what. Once they get more than enough deeds to cover their a**es, then they will start selling weeks - but only as FAC I bet, no deeded weeks.

I think that's why the special assessment bills haven't gone out. They don't want us to be able to 'out vote' them and eliminate non-emergency repairs.

This opinion was brought to you by ChrisH, and it is published here as solely the opinion of ChrisH, and is not intended to indicate that it is the opinion of anyone else.

e.bram

Reaction score
I think the concept of selling weeks to points conversions is dead in the water because of the economy. More owners , especially of nonprime and dog weeks are more in a bailing than buying mode. Wyndham closed it's Newport conversion offices last year. If Wyndham can't do, how can Festiva? They probably started a few years ago when the economy and financing was hot.

Fig

Reaction score
You know, I think the owners at Sandcastle and Southcape have a lot to be concerned about regarding the goals of NEVS.

Based on the first hand reports made here, I think Outfield uses scare tactics and deceptive practices to sell the Festiva product.

To use an analogy you enjoy, I look at Outfield like boosters at a major football college (Festiva U). Sometimes they get a little out of hand, and engage in questionable practices in recruiting. Sure the college benefits in the short-term, but suffers in the long run. But do you completely blame the college when the NCAA fines the school for a "lack of institutional control".

But I find all this other rhetoric and speculation unseemly. All the "Why are they incorporated in NV, why did they get a Texas phone number, why does google list them as having an address in TX, etc?"

I fail to understand how that innuendo helps the Sandcastle or Southcape owners in their struggle today.

Eric, if it were only "sometimes"....it's hard to find anything on the net where people were told anything close to the truth by Outfield Marketing. Not only here, but anywhere. When people go into detail about the presentation, it's the same thing over and over...we weren't given any paperwork, claims were made that are simply untrue...to the extent that you have a major resort calling Outfield Marketing on their false claims right on their opening page.

And exactly WHO is Outfield Marketing? Their CEO appears to live in MD...they claim an office in TX worth $1,450 that it strains credibility is used for any business at all. How do you run a business like that? FestivaRep has all sorts of details about when they were hired, who is doing training in MA...when they were hired in MO relative to the AG lawsuit....yet nobody, not Cliff, not FestivaRep (who seems to have a good relationship with the Festiva CEO as she has extended an invite from him) can supply us with a valid address for this company out of Denton, TX that everyone is fond of hiring...and claiming as Denton, TX business. But they seem to be a mystery. At the same time she is claiming they are independent of Festiva. Don't you find this a bit strange?

Perhaps such a loosely based business might account for some of the questionable practices....if you don't have a real company with real employees based in a real building...how is all this mysterious training getting done and by whom? Is the turnover so great that employees can do and say anything to get points? Festiva has stopped using Outfield Marketing at many of their locations...I don't think FestivaRep ever answered Tombo as to why they are affiliating themselves with them in MA.

Last edited:

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You know, I think the owners at Sandcastle and Southcape have a lot to be concerned about regarding the goals of NEVS. .

We all agree that NEVS is in this for themselves and Festiva to the detriment of owners at Southscape and Sandcastle.

Based on the first hand reports made here, I think Outfield uses scare tactics and deceptive practices to sell the Festiva product..

By continuing to employ Outfield, Festiva has condoned their sales tactics. After many complaints they continue to employ them. It would be simple for Festiva to send secret shoppers to Outfield presentations if they really wanted to know what was being said. By claiming that they don't allow unethical sales tactics and by having a paper trail telling Outfield to use ethical sales techniques they can blame all law suits on Outfield acting against their directions. It might not stand up in court with all of the complaints out there, but it gives them a better chance of not getting sued than hiring their own sales force to sell points using Outfield's tactics.

I think Festiva has made some questionable decisions in terms of aligning their company with NEVS and Outfield. I am alarmed by the lack of control the Festiva seems to be exerting in curbing Outfield's use of these practices. But that is a decision they will live with..

That is a choice Festiva made and continues to make which enriches both Festiva and Outfield while allowing owners to be sold Festiva points under threats of future assessments, pressure, and after being told numerous lies and half truths. If it actually bothered them they would fire Outfield.

To use an analogy you enjoy, I look at Outfield like boosters at a major football college (Festiva U). Sometimes they get a little out of hand, and engage in questionable practices in recruiting. Sure the college benefits in the short-term, but suffers in the long run. But do you completely blame the college when the NCAA fines the school for a "lack of institutional control". .

Good analogy, however let me point out the differences in Festiva's relationship to Outfield and the boosters relationship to the university.

My university was put on probation and lost bowl game appearances, athletic scholarships (causing many losses), and television revenues costing the university millions for the alleged actions of a booster(Festiva should be sued and held accountable for the actions of Outfield IMO). The booster was not hired by the university (Festiva hired and continues to employ Outfield). The booster didn't act as an agent for the university and was not authorized to represent the university (Outfiled is legally authorized to represent and sell Festiva Points). Our college got access to a great recruit due to the boosters alleged actions which violated the NCAA rules (Festiva sells many FAC memberships thanks to Outfiled's alleged unethical, dishonest and possibly illegal sales tecniques). My University suffered for about 8 years due to the actions of a rogue booster who had no authority to represent the university (Festiva has not suffered at all for the actions of a sales force that festiva hired which is still operating in an unethical mannr from the first hand reports listed here and elsewhere). After the University was severelly penalized for actions taken by a booster which was not authorized in any way by the University, the booster was banned from attending any future game, he is not allowed to contact any students or coaches, and he is not allowed to contribute any money to the athletic department ever again (Festiva hasn't fired Outfield or penalized them in any way for their misconduct).

The university was blamed totally by the NCAA for action taken by a non employee, non authorized agent, who took actions into his own hands against the university's rules. He was banned from the university's athletic dept( by the university) totally and forever.The university deserved very little blame since they did not know it was occurring, and the booster was banned as sson as the allegations came to light.

Festiva hires Outfield, authorizes them to sell festiva points, has many complaints including from one of the resorts it is affiliated with who sent a newsletter out to all owners warning them of outfiled's false sales claims leading Festiva to ban Outfield from selling on property. Festiva was sued and settled (lost) in Missouri for similar sales tactics used by a prior 3rd party sales force. Yet after having an AG sue them for deceptive sales practices, and after having one of their resorts send a newsletter out warning all owners about Outfield's deceptive sales claims, and after all of the complaints here and other places Festiva continues to allow Otfiled to market their points in owner's homes. Festive deserves to take 100% of the blame for Outfield's actions since they hired and continue to employ them after receiving plenty of reasons to terminate Outfield permanently.

Pointing out and questioning the many different corporations, locations, law suits, different 3rd party sales forces, etc. simply iluminate the dark corners that Festiva and Outfield hide in. Festiva has an address in Texas and a phone, but of course they say it is not theirs, it is Outfields.Outfield has 2 addresses and phones in Denton Texas, but until it was proven to be their address by FIG, it was vehemently denied to be their address by Cliff. Outfield allegedly threatens and lies to potential buyers, but that is not festiva's problem, that is Outfields problem. Festiva keeps on employing Outfield and chooses to say that they have retrained a couple of sales people rather than terminating their sales agreement and firing Outfield. They incorporate Festiva INTL LLC and file bankruptcy on that corporation when a suit is filed in St Maarten. Festiva is currently being sued by the owners at The Atrium. Festiva was sued and settled in Missouri. Owners at Sandcastle and Southscape are trying to mount a law suit and are filing complaints to the AG. Festiva has their home office in North Carolina, but they incorporate again for the second or third time in Nevada. Why Nevada? Why not NC? That is a valid question. This company takes over resorts by purchasing HOA inventory or unsold developer's inventory and then they assess to renovate, they drastically raise MF's, and they claim they need to assess even more to build up reserves. They scare owners by claiming that RCI will drop the resort if they don't do renovations. They populate the HOA boards with their own employees taking total control of resorts to the detriment of the owners. Knowing all you can about your opponent is very important to understanding what the owners are up against IMO.

There is typically no better predictor of future actions than one's past actions. The more we learn about Festiva an Outfield, the better prepared owners will be to fight to retain control of their resorts.

Last edited:

e.bram

Reaction score
Instead of ranting and raving("chopping water" my dad would say) on how bad the whole crew(Festiva, Outfiels & Cliff)is, the paying owners have to make ALL the unit owners pay their MF, no exception.or turn those units over to the HOA. Then the battle is done and the TSes are saved. This amy take some court action, but must be done or the TS as it now is finished, caput.

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Good analogy, however let me point out the differences in Festiva's relationship to Outfield and the boosters relationship to the university.

My university was put on probation and lost bowl game appearances, athletic scholarships (causing many losses), and television revenues costing the university millions for the alleged actions of a booster(Festiva should be sued and held accountable for the actions of Outfield IMO). The booster was not hired by the university (Festiva hired and continues to employ Outfield). The booster didn't act as an agent for the university and was not authorized to represent the university (Outfiled is legally authorized to represent and sell Festiva Points).

So I guess it is a blessing it only took them eight years to discover the problem. Imagine how much they would have been harmed if it had taken 50 years for the problem to come to light.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I guess it is a blessing it only took them eight years to discover the problem. Imagine how much they would have been harmed if it had taken 50 years for the problem to come to light.

Please re-read.The damages to the athletic program lasted for a total of 8 years, it did not take 8 years for the violation to come to light. The violation was caught within a year and punished within 2 years. We also faced a repeat offender status for 5 years from the date of the ruling which could possibly bring the death penalty. The death penalty would mean that the university would not be allowed to play any games for 5 years if the NCAA sanctioned the university for any other major offenses during the 5 year period. That might have meant the end of the football program for a decade or more by the time you figure in recruting a whole new team with 4 years worth of scholarships (frshmen,sophmores, etc) after the university was allowed to start playing football again. That is a serious deterrent to future violations.

What deterrent does Festiva/Outfield face to stop them from (allegedly) pressuring, misrepresenting, and lying to customers to make sales? Festiva/Outfield sales problems problems have been noted for many years now (and even acknowledged by Festiva Rep), but their only penalty during the last 9 years was a slap on the wrist by the Missouri AG. Did they lose sales and income for many years? No! Did they have to reduce their sales force and lose sales for numerous years? No! Did they have to stop using 3'rd party sales forces? No! Were they put under constant intense scrutiny for many years with the threat of loss of their total business? No! Did they change the way they operate? Not one bit! Will they change the way they operate? Only if they get sued and lose major money IMO.

The way it is going Festive might be ale to operate like this for 50 years without any major penalties unless some owners or an AG stops them. Who knows how many owners will be harmed while Festiva/Outfield continue to operate as they please?

Last edited:

e.bram

Reaction score
All that needs to happen is ALL owners pay MF. Who cares who pays as long as they pay, Festiva, Outfield, or NEVS. No more problems!

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
All that needs to happen is ALL owners pay MF. Who cares who pays as long as they pay, Festiva, Outfield, or NEVS. No more problems!

That would work just fine if Festiva/NEVS would agree to pay their fair share on the weeks they own. However, unless legally forced to pay MF's and assessments on developer owned units, Festiva and NEVS will not pay. That leaves the burden of maintaining and upgrading the resort totally on the backs of the owners who can't stop NEVS/Festiva from raising MF's, assessing, renovating, etc., because NEVS/Festiva controls the boards and the votes.

Last edited:

Sou13

Reaction score
Plan ahead!

At 12:02 AM 8/12/2009 -0400, Sou13 wrote:

"There are no permits being issued for the town beach. If owners want to use the town beach they have to get a permit for $25 from town hall which isn't open until Monday a.m."

You can get a beach sticker for your car via mail. The application can be found at http://www.ci.mashpee.ma.us/Pages/MashpeeMA_Webdocs/permits. The town turns these applications around pretty fast. We had ours within a week after mailing from PA.

Thanks for the info and aren't you glad you found this discussion?

Classylassy523

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paying MFs are not going to make things right

How easy it would be if paying MFs would solve all the other problems that came along when NEVS, Outfield Marketing and Festiva made the scene. Paying MFs is the least of the problems. Lying, threatening, stonewalling, coercing are going on every day, and paying MFs won't change that. I doubt there is anyone on this thread who has not paid their MF. I know there are some owners who haven't paid, might just not pay, but that isn't making things worse. It is NEVS, Outfield Marketing and Festiva who are making things so bad.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That would work just fine if Festiva/NEVS would agree to pay their fair share on the weeks they own. However, unless legally forced to pay MF's and assessments on developer owned units, Festiva and NEVS will not pay. That leaves the burden of maintaining and upgrading the resort totally on the backs of the owners who can't stop NEVS/Festiva from raising MF's, assessing, renovating, etc., because NEVS/Festiva controls the boards and the votes.

Do you know that Festiva is not paying m/f on weeks that are committed to FAC?

I am starting to have a problem with the sins of one party being assigned to other. Tombo, I understand that you have a Festiva axe to grind. But NEVS and Festiva are not one company as your post above makes it seem.

You make and raise a number of good points, but why do we need to behave like NEVS/Outfield does and use speculation to make the point. It only taints the allegations, many of which are well founded without needless speculation.

Last edited:

Sou13

Reaction score
Stonewalling and stalling

NEVMSLLC has used any and every excuse to keep Southcape owners from examining the books as provided in M.G.L. 183B. I was refused because I am "delinquent" in my "agreement" to a payment plan for the $400 Special Assessment. An owner who wanted to bring me to the resort to examine the books was told that she could come but that I couldn't, but when she decided to go during her fixed summer week she was told that Mr. Hagberg would be on vacation and that she can come in October when she'll be in Florida.

When I discovered that only 1/2 of the "improvements" for which we were billed had been done, and that the remaining 1/2 was questionable, I withheld the remaining 1/2 of the $400. Meanwhile we're learning that improvements are being made at Sandcastle and suspect that they are being financed by the Southcape owners who have paid the $400 Special Assessment.

NEVS has now gone so far as to file "certificates of correction" claiming that an attorney who has never occupied a seat on the board of directors was the Clerk for the three years that Rosaleen Cassidy, Resort Manager, filed the annual reports!

In 1985 the Board of Directors was expanded to 5 members: 2 developers, 2 owners, and the resort manager, elected to serve 2-year terms. None of the board members currently on file were elected, all were appointed by NEVS.

What does it take to get the AG involved in investigating these matters?

Last edited:

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know that Festiva is not paying m/f on weeks that are committed to FAC?

I am starting to have a problem with the sins of one party being assigned to other. Tombo, I understand that you have a Festiva axe to grind. But NEVS and Festiva are not one company as your post above makes it seem.

Do you know for sure that Festiva is paying MF's on unsold inventory? No! Do you know if they are paying MF's and assessments at some resorts and not at others? No! I would bet money that they don't pay MF's and assessments on inventory they acquire when they take over a resort and inventory that HOA's own at resorts where they control the HOA>.

Festiva and NEVS are in business together at Southscape and Sandcastle. NEVS is not paying MF's for their inventory. Outfield executives were made trustees. You are known by the company you keep, the people you hire to represent you, and the business partners you do business with. Festiva seems to like NEVS and Outfield and keeps associating with them, hiring them, and doing business with them. Jhat is at a minimum guilt by association if not outright joint guilt IMO. I lump them all together because festiva refuses to fire outfield or distance themselves from NEVS. They could change the perception (if not actual reality) by disassociating themselves from Outfield/NEVS, but they choose to not do so.

It is my ax and I will grind it if I want, when I want, and how I want. If you tire of my ax grinding feel free to ignore my posts. I don't admonish you when you defend Festiva although I find very little about festiva that is possible to defend. Since you don't own a week at any resort that festiva is affiliated with or that outfield markets in, you can't understand what it is like when they start taking over a resort you like and there is little that you can do about it. Please feel free to buy a week at a festiva resort and after a year see if you still want to give them the benefit of a doubt!

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you know for sure that Festiva is paying MF's on unsold inventory? No!

Please feel free to buy a week at a festiva resort and after a year see if you still want to give them the benefit of a doubt!

This sounds too much like Cliff's defense of his policy of ignoring non-owners.

And I am not defending Festiva. I am in opposition of the truth being bent by either side of the discussion. If you feel the need to use innuendo to make your point, then I will post the the facts that have been reported. FestivaRep has specifically denied the allegations you have raised regarding the business relationship. Now you want to speculate that they are not paying m/f's. To continue to speculate without any proof is not reasonable. By extension you can speculate that the housekeeping staff is slave labor imported from China. No, I cannot disprove that allegation either.

In my mind, engaging in such behavior just diminishes the valid points you have made.

So we can bicker about the fine points if you want. But to provide some balance to the discussion, I will continue to point out inaccuracies in your posts. As you pointed out, you are free to ignore my posts in that regard.

ChrisH

Reaction score
I find it offensive....

NEVMSLLC has used any and every excuse to keep Southcape owners from examining the books as provided in M.G.L. 183B. I was refused because I am "delinquent" in my "agreement" to a payment plan for the $400 Special Assessment. An owner who wanted to bring me to the resort to examine the books was told that she could come but that I couldn't, but when she decided to go during her fixed summer week she was told that Mr. Hagberg would be on vacation and that she can come in October when she'll be in Florida.

When I discovered that only 1/2 of the "improvements" for which we were billed had been done, and that the remaining 1/2 was questionable, I withheld the remaining 1/2 of the $400. Meanwhile we're learning that improvements are being made at Sandcastle and suspect that they are being financed by the Southcape owners who have paid the $400 Special Assessment.

As a Sandcastle owner, who has been to Sandcastle both in May and July, I find it offensive that you have on more than one occasion indicated that Southcape mf's are being spent at Sandcastle.

In May they were painting the outside pool at Sandcastle. By July they had painted the front of a building and installed new signs. Planted some vegetation (done annually anyway.) and not much else. Oh, yes - they were doing some upgrades to the office that Outfield Marketing was using - isn't that special, and since I left, I understand that the wireless internet is complete.

How do we know that Sandcastle mf's aren't being spent at Southcape? We don't. Anymore than you know where Southcape mf's are being spent. Or the extra $1.3 million gleened from the mortgage. Where'd that go?
Maybe that's how people get to go to England and other places. We may never know.
But it doesn't appear to be lavishing P'Town.

Give it a rest.

The opinion expressed in this reply are solely the opinion of ChrisH and should not be construed to have any other authorship.

e.bram

Reaction score
Classylady523:
"It is NEVS, Outfield Marketing and Festiva who are making things so bad."

These are the guys that I suspect are not payinf MFs. Not TS owners. If everybody and I mean EVERYBODY paid MFs there would be no problems.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I discovered that only 1/2 of the "improvements" for which we were billed had been done, and that the remaining 1/2 was questionable, I withheld the remaining 1/2 of the $400.

What does it take to get the AG involved in investigating these matters?

You only are impairing your rights by withholding payment of the special assessment. It is the proverbial "cut off your nose to spite your face".

Sou13

Reaction score
Thank you for the Sandcastle update!

Thank you, ChrisH, for the update on the renovations taking place at Sandcastle. If I hadn't read anything about renovations on a Sandcastle discussion I'd have no reason to suspect that Southcape funds could be going to pay for renovations at our "sister" resort.

Eric, if you are overcharged for something do you just keep quiet about it? We at Southcape have the Compiled Financial Reports for 2008 and 2007 as well as the breakdown of where the Special Assessment is supposed to be going and only 1/2 of it has been spent. Here's the breakdown:

Special Assessment Budget

Condo I (Units 1-24)
Siding, roofing. painting and replacement
of Toned trim. $275,000

Condo I (Units 1-24)
Interior renovations: replacement of
furniture. carpeting & painting. $450,000

Alarm system repairs
$12,000

Phone system replacement
$12,000

Computer system for reservations
$25,000

Condo II
Painting and replacement of rotted trim as
necessary. $50,000

New Web site & \Wireless Internet
Access for the entire resort. $18,000

A recent inspection of the septic system
has indicated that the entire system
needs repair. 6 of the septics need
relatively minor repairs. $15,000

Repair of 6 septics:
3 of the septics failed.
We are currently working with the state
department to find the best approach to
solving this problem. $75,000 (working estimate)

Operating loss for 2008 $157,000

Total: $1,089,000

Here's what's been done:

Condo I (Units 1-24)
Siding, roofing. painting and replacement
of Toned trim. $275,000

The other items are yet to be completed. I don't know about this one:

Condo II
Painting and replacement of rotted trim as
necessary. $50,000

An owner who paid the $400 by the March 1 due date wants to know why it had to be paid by March 1. As the MFs were coming in, the entire MF expenses were not due, and in the past these repairs and renovations were done out of the reserve that was built into the maintenance fee. Yes, there was a reserve, contrary to what NEVS claims. And to renovate all the units at once means that they will all have to be renovated at once in the future. They were renovated on a piecemeal basis for a reason, and this schedule of staggered renovations should continue in order to keep the maintenance fees from rising more than 5% per year.

Eric, I don't know why you're convinced that just because "FestivaRep has specifically denied the allegations" tombo has "raised regarding the business relationship" means that you can believe FestivaRep any more than you can believe NEVMSLLC when he claims that the 550 weeks owned by NEVS are being sold by Outfield Marketing, that owners can see the books by appointment, and that "Mr. Hagberg has no ownership interest in either Outfield or Festiva." Don't take their words at face value.

At least tombo knows firsthand what happens when Festiva takes over a resort. If it weren't for tombo's experience I'd be doing better things with my time than trying to put the brakes on Festiva's takeover of Southcape.

Classylassy523

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is not JUST money

Classylady523:
"It is NEVS, Outfield Marketing and Festiva who are making things so bad."

These are the guys that I suspect are not payinf MFs. Not TS owners. If everybody and I mean EVERYBODY paid MFs there would be no problems.

The problems that are occuring at Southcape and Sandcastle are not just monetary. The problems are dishonesty, coercion, threats, arrogance, ignorance, disrespect and blatant law breaking by NEVS, Outfield Marketing and Festiva Resorts. I personally find it insulting that these people can treat honest, law abiding owners who are only guilty of wanting the use of their deeded property without being treated like second class citizens, and being made to feel that they are there only to provide the funds to make these resorts more of a source of money for these three entities. This group of people feel they can do anything they want and owners will just roll over and go along with it. The fact that so many owners have complained both verbally and in writing to NEVS and Festiva about Outfield Marketing and the hooligans are still there, doing business as usual, speaks loudly to me. NEVS and Festiva do not give a RAT'S A** about the owners. They have an agenda and they will continue to work toward that goal unless they are stopped. So, it is up to the owner's to do just that ... STOP NEVS, OUTFIELD MARKETING AND FESTIVA RESORTS. If it takes hiring a lawyer or lawyers, filing complaints with state and federal governments, speaking out and getting our stories in front of others and banding together with other owners like us around this country, then we need to do it and get it done. The sooner the better, because those people will continue to charge us increasing MFs and SAs to get those resorts where they want them, and it will all be done on our dollars, not theirs.

In my opinion, that is what is wrong at Southcape and Sandcastle Resorts.