• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana to Abound Point Conversion Tracker

chanakya

TUG Member
Reaction score
@VacationForever Reg (2), I asked this question in another thread. According to a member that successfully requalified a WLR, it may be possible to do it even for purchases made after Aug 9. I guess this is certainly not a given.

Last edited:

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
I think it was expected that the Maui properties would get better CP ratios than many others, but the flip side of that is that the CPs required to book the Maui properties are very high. As far as I can see, best value is still using Home Options for Maui resorts in high demand weeks and SOs if you want to use other resorts in lower demand weeks where it's possible to access inventory at 8 months. If you own in the Vistana Maui resorts, there is no reason to convert to CPs unless you want to go elsewhere in the Abound system and are willing to live with some fairly severe points devaluation.

I found that I was able to turn my 1wk Oceanfront 2BR WKORVN week into 1 week 3BR Oceanfront at Marriott Ko Olina next year, plus have points left over for a week in Miami or Orlando.

I think the point devaluation may be reasonable if you wanted to turn 1 week into multiple weeks elsewhere, particularly if the "view" category doesn't matter too much. I could also see it being valuable to flip a beach week into multiple ski week if you wanted to go to CO and book 13 mos. out.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1) WLR is voluntary
2) Qualified voluntary (resale without qualification is not eligible) and all mandatory resorts had a cutoff date of August 9 2022 to make it into Abound.

MVC may in the future, offer some sort of requalification of ineligible resale by buying Abound Points from MVC.

I haven't caught up on all 12 pages of this thread... but am I correct in then inferring the following?

1) Voluntary weeks can still be retro'd into the full Vistana system with a developer purchase.
2) Full Vistana week privileges does not imply full Abound privileges
3) they (being Marriott) have not said much about how to do a retro transaction that also allows the week to be enrolled in Abound?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't caught up on all 12 pages of this thread... but am I correct in then inferring the following?

1) Voluntary weeks can still be retro'd into the full Vistana system with a developer purchase.
2) Full Vistana week privileges does not imply full Abound privileges
3) they (being Marriott) have not said much about how to do a retro transaction that also allows the week to be enrolled in Abound?
I don't know what you meant by full Vistana system. If you are referring to VSN, then if you were to retro a voluntary week now, it will definitely be enrolled into Abound. We don't know if it will also get enrolled into VSN, as I haven't seen a post on this.

I don't know what you meant by full Vistana week privileges. If you are asking about mandatory resale week, if you buy after 8/9/22, it is eligible to use VSN but not Abound.

When you retro a week, it will be enrolled into Abound.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have seen some people report being able to retro resale weeks that were purchased prior to August 2022. I don't know if anyone has indicated a retro of a new resale week bought after August 2022. They may or may not have the same rules. Retroing through Vistana is far cheaper than retroing through MVC. Only a few locations are still selling Vistana product (Westin & Sheraton Flex or Westin Aventuras).

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know what you meant by full Vistana system. If you are referring to VSN, then if you were to retro a voluntary week now, it will definitely be enrolled into Abound. We don't know if it will also get enrolled into VSN, as I haven't seen a post on this.

I don't know what you meant by full Vistana week privileges. If you are asking about mandatory resale week, if you buy after 8/9/22, it is eligible to use VSN but not Abound.

When you retro a week, it will be enrolled into Abound.
Sorry, when I said "full Vistana system" I originally meant full VSN privileges. As in, if you were to buy/own a resale voluntary resort (i.e. Nanea/Princeville), then buy Aventuras/Flex to retro the voluntary ownership back into full cross-property booking powers within Vistana network.

So we think that even for weeks bought after 8/2022, that if retro'd, would be able to elect to enroll in Abound for the specified conversion rate?

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have seen some people report being able to retro resale weeks that were purchased prior to August 2022. I don't know if anyone has indicated a retro of a new resale week bought after August 2022. They may or may not have the same rules. Retroing through Vistana is far cheaper than retroing through MVC. Only a few locations are still selling Vistana product (Westin & Sheraton Flex or Westin Aventuras).
OK, this is what I was thinking about (that newly acquired resale weeks might NOT be able to retro into abound).

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
OK, this is what I was thinking about (that newly acquired resale weeks might NOT be able to retro into abound).
If you retro a week it should have access to Abound. The question I have is whether it has to be done thru MVC only. If you retro thru VSN then maybe it only has access to VSN. Not sure if anyone has done this as it was mentioned above.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I put an offer in for a Nanea EOY. We'll see how it goes.

dms111

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Aventuras
I saw that post. The issue with the conversion rates above is that they do not apply to all sizes and seasons at the same resorts.
Westin Aventuras rate is actually .003328832. For 2024 they are offering us 4935 Club Points for 148,100 Star Options; and for 2025 they are offering us 6400 Club Points for 192,100 Star Options. Can anyone explain why different properties get a different exchange rate? Within the VSN network, every Star Option is worth exactly the same as every other Star Option. The end result for us as Aventuras owners is that we are unlikely to EVER convert our Star Options to Club Points.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Westin Aventuras rate is actually .003328832. For 2024 they are offering us 4935 Club Points for 148,100 Star Options; and for 2025 they are offering us 6400 Club Points for 192,100 Star Options. Can anyone explain why different properties get a different exchange rate? Within the VSN network, every Star Option is worth exactly the same as every other Star Option. The end result for us as Aventuras owners is that we are unlikely to EVER convert our Star Options to Club Points.
When I do the math on those two numbers, I am getting 30.01 rounding down to the second decimal. The .033328832 is doing the math backward. If you go out further than two decimals, the numbers vary, but there probably have to round to a whole number of Club Points in 5 point increments. Thus resulting in slightly different conversion rates.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
When I do the math on those two numbers, I am getting 30.01 rounding down to the second decimal. The .033328832 is doing the math backward. If you go out further than two decimals, the numbers vary, but there probably have to round to a whole number of Club Points in 5 point increments. Thus resulting in slightly different conversion rates.
I get the same numbers as you. With both being 30.01. So, no difference in conversion rates.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as Abound is concerned, the properties underlying Aventuras are valued differently compared to the properties underlying Westin Flex or Sheraton Flex. Just as within the same property/season, Abound will value certain weeks more or less compared to others, even though Vistana values all weeks in the season the same.

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
If you retro a week it should have access to Abound. The question I have is whether it has to be done thru MVC only. If you retro thru VSN then maybe it only has access to VSN. Not sure if anyone has done this as it was mentioned above.

I recently did a retro with Vistana, the retro'ed weeks have both startoptions and ability to elect Abound points.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Can anyone explain why different properties get a different exchange rate? Within the VSN network, every Star Option is worth exactly the same as every other Star Option. The end result for us as Aventuras owners is that we are unlikely to EVER convert our Star Options to Club Points.
I believe Marriott potentially award more points to certain resorts because they feel in doing so they will attract more owners to convert and hence have more inventory available to it's members in 'key' locations like Maui and Cancun (which in turn enables them to sell more points that are needed to reserve those resorts).

THSMTHS

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
American Resorts International (ARI),
Marriott Desert Springs II,
Marriott Ko 'Olina,
Falcon Point,
Marriott Sabal Palms,
Westin Flex,
Marriott DP,
Diamond (Sedona access)
I have started to create a conversion tracker to keep track of the amount of points allocaetd to each VOI. I know everything right now is still speculation or information gleaned from attending a sales presentation, but at some point I suspect we will get official numbers. For now we can start tracking based on what we have learned in the other threads and update later if necessary. I don't have time at the moment to go through the other threads to update this sheet, creating it is as far as I got. But if anyone else wants to take a stab at it, feel free. The lined Google Sheet is open to comments (opening for edit gets messy). If you find something to add right click on the cell and select "Comment" then indicate what should be in the cell. Mainly looking to verify the breakdown of the sheet is correct but also to populate columns J, M and N. For resorts that are weeks based, I would prefer to populate N and calculate M. For Flex based items, it will just be M that gets populated to indicate the conversion of points. Based on the comments I can update the data in the actual cells.

Westin Nanea 148,100 6265 Resort View, floating

Snowonbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Harborside, Diamond Resorts
Has anyone heard recent news about Harbourside?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Westin Nanea 148,100 6265 Resort View, floating
Thanks. Since Nanea was sold as HomeOptions, we have Nanea on the spreadsheet as a single conversion rate for Oceanfront and another for Resort View. Your number seems to match up to that conversion ratio.

Snowonbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Harborside, Diamond Resorts
On my Vistana dashboard, my Harborside phase 2 standard 1 bedroom Platinum unit now shows 67,100 staroptions and 2175 club points.