• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Closed - new thread started] Will Hawaii Open by [OCTOBER???] [Please use this thread for all Hawaii Coronavirus discussions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Eh, that’s silly. We play six routinely (pre-COVID) and never exceed 3:45, often done in 3:30.

You must play some short easy private courses riding carts where there was no party in front of you and all the players must be very good. I am most familiar with the 5 Bethpage State Park Public Courses which cost $2 for 18 holes when I was young including the Black Course which has been used a few times for the US Open. We always walked and in those days carried our OWN bag. You could never even play those courses in under 4 hours with four players which is the maximum limit of a FOURSOME. We would break 100 on these courses but breaking 90 for average players was a major goal and struggle. Most times it was close to 6 hours. Different life experiences bring people to differnent thoughts on how things are and how things should be on many issues.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Gov. Ige says pre-arrivals testing program to reopen tourism probably won’t begin Oct. 1

What's interesting is the locals' comments under the article. A few weeks ago I remember seeing comments overwhelmingly is support of Ige and for closing Hawaii to tourists. It looks like it's now the opposite.

It could be that the general sentiment has changed or it could be that different people are commenting who have a different perspective and interest in the issue. When the Governor swings toward opening the comments tend to controvert and state keep the tourists out and Hawaii safe, when the Governore swings toward closing for another month the comments tend to controvert and state we need to open to get the economy going again. I can see both sides.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Out of an abundance of caution he did not open in July when they had 30 cases a day.

For the sake of the argument let's say they open in November. Is there any guarantee they will not close again few weeks later?

There is no guarantee he will not close the state anytime he feels the need.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gov. Ige says pre-arrivals testing program to reopen tourism probably won’t begin Oct. 1

What's interesting is the locals' comments under the article. A few weeks ago I remember seeing comments overwhelmingly is support of Ige and for closing Hawaii to tourists. It looks like it's now the opposite.
I thought he was supposed to "listen to the science". I am wondering who were the "many from the industry" who told Ige he should not open in October. Maybe they were real estate potential buyers who wanted to profit from possible liquidations. I bet he did not ask the corner store owner about it.

The comments are turning more and more negative indeed and those that were defending their actions seem to be fewer and fewer. Probably people are starting to open their eyes.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. However, my search for sites in CA came back with a list of random, unsorted country-wide results. Can someone else give it a try?

If you're referring to the rapid test site, it's unsorted. Just hit CTRL-F (at least in Firefox) to open the "find" window and type whatever city you're looking for and it'll search the entire page for that word.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
You must play some short easy private courses riding carts where there was no party in front of you and all the players must be very good. I am most familiar with the 5 Bethpage State Park Public Courses which cost $2 for 18 holes when I was young including the Black Course which has been used a few times for the US Open. We always walked and in those days carried our OWN bag. You could never even play those courses in under 4 hours with four players which is the maximum limit of a FOURSOME. We would break 100 on these courses but breaking 90 for average players was a major goal and struggle. Most times it was close to 6 hours. Different life experiences bring people to differnent thoughts on how things are and how things should be on many issues.
Well, yes, it's a private course. "Short easy...." Eh, rated 75.0, hosted the NCAA, hosts the annual Southwestern Invitational (which will be on the golf channel this February), and has hosted several US Open qualifiers. At OUR location, not being allowed to play 5 is a silly rule. But, you're entirely missing the points. First, whether you play 4, 5 or whatever as a GOLF rule is fine, but as a COVID rule is silly. The discussion was about COVID rules, not golf etiquette or golf rules. Second, the broader point is that it would not even be an issue if people would just commit to not do things that endanger others. Saying "I have the RIGHT to not wear a mask" may be technically true, but it's tantamount to saying, "and therefore I have the RIGHT to infect others with a potentially fatal disease." I'm not sure the latter is true, and I KNOW what it says about the speaker's character.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I agree with your point here but I must take exception to the Fivesome Example. A Foursome has been the standard for golf parties for as long as I know which goes back to the early 60's and I would guess it has been the standard way before that. It has nothing to do with the Coronavirus. Furthermore, it is important not to have more than Four to keep the game moving and not hold up the party that just finished the previous hole who wants to Tee Off and not have to wait for 5 golfers playing in front of them. On the courses that I have played starters will break up a Fivesome into a Threesome and a Twosome and place singles and doubles with these two groups.
I always thought that no more than a foursome could go out on a golf course. My dad was an avid golfer and many times on vacation he'd join an existing twosome or threesome. He played one time, I think it was on Kauai, but could have been another island, and they added him to an existing foursome. It was four Japanese players. My dad said they ran from place to place. He said it was quite an experience.

And yes, I know this has nothing to do with Covid, but I just love this story, and it does have to do with golf and Hawaii.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
There is a snowball effect with some people who depend on the tourists and are not able to work. Now they stop spending money at the essential businesses. Essential businesses are starting to suffer, too, even grocery stores.

So first the hotel and restaurants get hit, along with popular tourists' activities. This is creating an even bigger rift between those that have and those that have not. And that is happening all over the country.

Food banks are overwhelmed on the islands. People need to eat.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
567591d59bbd6dd6ea7f819f48529984.jpg

OP: Note to self.... why bother putting in a month?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I always thought that no more than a foursome could go out on a golf course. My dad was an avid golfer and many times on vacation he'd join an existing twosome or threesome. He played one time, I think it was on Kauai, but could have been another island, and they added him to an existing foursome. It was four Japanese players. My dad said they ran from place to place. He said it was quite an experience.

And yes, I know this has nothing to do with Covid, but I just love this story, and it does have to do with golf and Hawaii.
In/on public accessible golf courses it has been traditional to limit groups to four players. Not so at private clubs where there is readily available accountability. At our club, like many others, it makes no difference at all how many are in the group. What matters is how long it takes to play. We support a sixsome that plays in under 4 hours and will sanction a threesome that takes 5 hours for slow play. Public facilities don't have the kind of accountability tools that a private club has, and pace of play is always a problem. But, do you think that if Tiger, Obama, and the heads of three Fortune 50 companies showed up at Augusta to play, the club would say, sorry, no fivesomes?

Our club operates by a simple rule: if there is a hole open in front of you and a group behind you must wait for a shot, you must step aside and waive them through.

COVID has had an interesting impact on pace of play: we now consistently play in 30-45 minutes less per round. There are three reasons. 1. No touching pins so there's no time spent pulling or replacing flagsticks. 2. No raking bunkers, so as soon as you hit a bunker shot you leave the bunker and head to your ball. 3. The big one. Everyone has their own cart, so you drive to your ball and are not waiting at another person's ball for them to hit. Our walkers are now particularly aware of not holding their group up, and they have sped up notably. So even a group of four walkers is playing in about 3.5 hours.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, yes, it's a private course. "Short easy...." Eh, rated 75.0, hosted the NCAA, hosts the annual Southwestern Invitational (which will be on the golf channel this February), and has hosted several US Open qualifiers. At OUR location, not being allowed to play 5 is a silly rule. But, you're entirely missing the points. First, whether you play 4, 5 or whatever as a GOLF rule is fine, but as a COVID rule is silly. The discussion was about COVID rules, not golf etiquette or golf rules. Second, the broader point is that it would not even be an issue if people would just commit to not do things that endanger others. Saying "I have the RIGHT to not wear a mask" may be technically true, but it's tantamount to saying, "and therefore I have the RIGHT to infect others with a potentially fatal disease." I'm not sure the latter is true, and I KNOW what it says about the speaker's character.

I agree with everything you said here. In the spirit of having to sit on the beach 6 feet away from ones husband or wife I wonder why they don't insist on everyone playing as singles!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
This kind of became a debate about the number of people who can golf at once on course in CA. We do get off of the OT at times. :LOL:

I am concerned for our friends and family who live on the islands. How are they going to stay there. Already one famiily member (one was a hotel worker at the Hyatt on Maui) left the island to fly into whatever airport was the cheapest, which turned out to be San Diego, rented an apartment, and the two of them are trying to find jobs in the hospitality industry. They may have to walk away from the lease on the apartment after they attempt to pay rent another month. I think they will be back in Denver soon. Not many jobs here right now, either.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought he was supposed to "listen to the science". I am wondering who were the "many from the industry" who told Ige he should not open in October. Maybe they were real estate potential buyers who wanted to profit from possible liquidations. I bet he did not ask the corner store owner about it.

The comments are turning more and more negative indeed and those that were defending their actions seem to be fewer and fewer. Probably people are starting to open their eyes.
There will be some of those people, I am sure. We do have friends moving from Oahu to Maui. Perhaps they will get a good deal on a house. One currently lives on Oahu in their home that is sold, the other on Maui. He is shopping for houses, while she cannot go back and forth right now to look at houses with him. Lots of virtual tours for her by cell phone. Governor Ige is keeping them away from each other. It's so weird.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I agree with everything you said here. In the spirit of having to sit on the beach 6 feet away from ones husband or wife I wonder why they don't insist on everyone playing as singles!
Are any golf courses in Hawaii open?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A bit of good news. Hawaii's positives per 100K and % positivity rate are now low enough to get the state off NY's 'naughty' list.

NYS quarantine.jpg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
In/on public accessible golf courses it has been traditional to limit groups to four players.
My dad would have been playing at a public course.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
This kind of became a debate about the number of people who can golf at once on course in CA. We do get off of the OT at times. :LOL:

I am concerned for our friends and family who live on the islands. How are they going to stay there. Already one famiily member (one was a hotel worker at the Hyatt on Maui) left the island to fly into whatever airport was the cheapest, which turned out to be San Diego, rented an apartment, and the two of them are trying to find jobs in the hospitality industry. They may have to walk away from the lease on the apartment after they attempt to pay rent another month. I think they will be back in Denver soon. Not many jobs here right now, either.
This is something I commented on a while back. Eventually some or many of the hospitality workers will be forced to leave Hawaii to look for work. As that happens, the harms to the employer's of those people become irreparable. Even with the best of intentions, you cannot operate a business without employees, and cannot operate a business well without good employees. Hawaii cannot afford, IMO, to allow an irreparable loss of employees to occur. It's one thing to have employees without work, but ready to go on a moment's notice. It's another entirely to not have employees at all.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
A bit of good news. Hawaii's positives per 100K and % positivity rate are now low enough to get the state off NY's 'naughty' list.

View attachment 26568
Ah, the irony. NY will allow you to fly in from Hawaii. But Oahu won't let you fly in from Maui.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, the irony. NY will allow you to fly in from Hawaii. But Oahu won't let you fly in from Maui.
Anyone can fly *to* O'ahu from another Hawaiian island...it's getting back that's the kicker. From the DOT website...

"Governor David Ige announced the partial reinstatement of the interisland quarantine, effective Aug. 11, 2020. The 14-day quarantine requirement applies to any person traveling to the counties of Kauai, Hawaii, Maui and Kalawao (Molokai) as stated in the 11th supplementary emergency proclamation. Interisland passengers arriving on Oahu are not required to quarantine..."

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Not looking good.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
This won't change anyone's minds, but it is nonetheless a testimony to the effectiveness of the orders in place. Not too long ago Hawaii was the furthest right on this chart reflecting the highest Rt value in the United States. Today it is the lowest, meaning a single infected person is spreading the disease to the fewest others of any state in the US. It has gone from ~1.29 about 8 weeks ago (which means exponential growth in cases) to 0.80 today. A value below 1.0 reflects the disease going away.

1600202314233.png

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
There is no guarantee he will not close the state anytime he feels the need.
Not looking good.
And now they want testing for inter-island travel too? There goes any thought of visiting multiple islands.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the (likely) push to Nov 1, we are still hanging on to our three weeks in late Dec/early Jan by a thread. If it pushes to December 1, we will probably cancel---that's not likely to leave enough time for us to see how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.