• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Closed - new thread started] Will Hawaii Open by [OCTOBER???] [Please use this thread for all Hawaii Coronavirus discussions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Last edited by a moderator:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I'd buy a refundable ticket.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The 15 days quarantine for those coming to Hawaii ends June 1. That is unless the governor decides to extend it. I wonder how much of the islands will be open that soon.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Latest news from Hawaii:

Gov. David Ige announced the plan in a news conference at the state Capitol, saying Hawaii has successfully flattened the curve of coronavirus cases and now it’s time to focus on getting people back to work.

“We believe our community has the conditions to move into this next phase," he said, adding that “if you are going to patronize any of these businesses, we would encourage you to then return home because you are safer at home.”

The governor didn’t elaborate on how the state would beef up testing and contact tracing as more people venture into the community. Ige did stress that workers and customers need to follow social distancing guidelines — separating themselves by at least 6 feet — avoid gatherings, and wear cloth face masks.

And he added that he might need to reinstitute some orders if the number of COVID-19 cases begins to rise dramatically. “We do anticipate that there would be an increase in the number of cases and we definitely will be monitoring that,” he said. “We ask everyone to maintain their social distancing activities."

Businesses allowed to reopen Thursday include:
  • Shopping malls and retailers
  • Non-food agricultural companies, including florists
  • Astronomical observatories
  • Pet grooming services
  • Health care and social assistance, including elective surgery
  • Nonprofits that were previously not considered “essential”
  • Wholesale businesses

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gov. David Ige announced the plan in a news conference at the state Capitol, saying Hawaii has successfully flattened the curve of coronavirus cases and now it’s time to focus on getting people back to work.

Shocked, but a smart move. He's got to get everything on the islands open to see how well/long they can function financially without the tourists.

cybernaut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seattle, Washington and Princeville, Kauai
I wouldn’t bet on coming here. The local politicians seem to be trying to outdo themselves on the amount of control they have over people. On Kauai we haven’t had a new coronavirus case in 30 days and have no active active cases. Yet, we are still under lockdown; have to wear face masks; cannot walk on the beach; restaurants are closed; etc. In addition, there are no incoming flights from the mainland - so there is almost no possibility of contracting the virus.

Under this environment of fear and control, it is very unlikely they will be welcoming visitors anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The 15 days quarantine for those coming to Hawaii ends June 1. That is unless the governor decides to extend it. I wonder how much of the islands will be open that soon.
14-day. I'd expect it to be extended. They are not ready for opening the doors to tourists.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Side note: Hawaiian Airlines just suspended almost all flights from the mainland through May 31. Just one flight daily from Seattle, LA, and SF to Honolulu. Previously they had only suspended through May 20.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I expect most things to open by June. But I don’t expect tourism to be back this summer unless there are some breakthroughs on the medical side. The mainland isn’t getting better. I wish we could open up to arrivals from a few select states, but I think it is an all or none situation.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Shocked, but a smart move. He's got to get everything on the islands open to see how well/long they can function financially without the tourists.
Hawaii is all but COVID free, and it may even be free. It DOES have some people still coming in, however, and so that's a continuing risk, albeit relatively small given the numbers. Nonetheless, they should be able to open up over the month of May so that by June 1 they are at a "new normal" for residents, and with enough time behind them to know if they have been successful at doing it without causing new spread. Then they can start looking at plans/options for reintroducing tourists. I can imagine a scenario where hotels are allowed to open at not more than 50% capacity, for instance, or maybe even one-third capacity. Perhaps combined with a requirement of a negative PCR test within 48 hours of departure, and fever screening upon arrival. Required mask use in hotels. Social distancing outside. Who knows. They have plenty of smart people to figure out how to do it with the least risk/burden.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Hawaii is all but COVID free, and it may even be free. It DOES have some people still coming in, however, and so that's a continuing risk, albeit relatively small given the numbers. Nonetheless, they should be able to open up over the month of May so that by June 1 they are at a "new normal" for residents, and with enough time behind them to know if they have been successful at doing it without causing new spread. Then they can start looking at plans/options for reintroducing tourists. I can imagine a scenario where hotels are allowed to open at not more than 50% capacity, for instance, or maybe even one-third capacity. Perhaps combined with a requirement of a negative PCR test within 48 hours of departure, and fever screening upon arrival. Required mask use in hotels. Social distancing outside. Who knows. They have plenty of smart people to figure out how to do it with the least risk/burden.

Some interesting thoughts; I will give my reaction. I totally agree with the preboard testing to prevent people with the desease from boarding, contaiminating other passengers and crew, and bring the virus to Hawaii. I believe that the fever screening upon arrival is too late.

If masks use and social distancing is still necessary clearly Honolulu can't have anywhere near the numbers of tourists and can't conduct many of the activities that are typical for us during our stays. Perhaps other areas of Hawaii could.

If hotels would only be allowed to open at 50% capacity or so would that also be applicable to timesharing? If so I believe that some resorts have or will have over booked their capacity. How would that be handled?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I totally agree with the preboard testing to prevent people with the desease from boarding, contaiminating other passengers and crew, and bring the virus to Hawaii. I believe that the fever screening upon arrival is too late.

And what about all those visitors coming to Hawaii from other countries? Would they be as vigilant in advance of air travel? I suspect not.

Dave

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Perhaps combined with a requirement of a negative PCR test within 48 hours of departure, and fever screening upon arrival.

The thing that concerns me about a negative PCR test requirement is given the limitations on testing capacity and the fact that everything I've read says it's not going to be easy to ramp up testing to just do the necessary screening and contact tracing for regular medical/public health purposes, I have a hard time seeing how we could allocate the limited testing capacity to discretionary travel any time soon. Hawaii would seem to have to convince every state to include "pending travel to Hawaii" as a valid reason to approve a test for a traveler that has no other symptoms.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The thing that concerns me about a negative PCR test requirement is given the limitations on testing capacity and the fact that everything I've read says it's not going to be easy to ramp up testing to just do the necessary screening and contact tracing for regular medical/public health purposes, I have a hard time seeing how we could allocate the limited testing capacity to discretionary travel any time soon. Hawaii would seem to have to convince every state to include "pending travel to Hawaii" as a valid reason to approve a test for a traveler that has no other symptoms.

There is fast testing now available. I presume/hope that by mid-late summer there will be no problems obtaining a test for the presence or absence of viral RNA in a sample, and that the results will be quick.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
And what about all those visitors coming to Hawaii from other countries? Would they be as vigilant in advance of air travel? I suspect not.

Dave
Hawaii is going to have to use their judgment and require that the origin country satisfy their requirements. But just as you cannot board the flight from another country without a passport, they can easily add without a certification issued within 48 hours of a negative test.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Some interesting thoughts; I will give my reaction. I totally agree with the preboard testing to prevent people with the desease from boarding, contaiminating other passengers and crew, and bring the virus to Hawaii. I believe that the fever screening upon arrival is too late.

If masks use and social distancing is still necessary clearly Honolulu can't have anywhere near the numbers of tourists and can't conduct many of the activities that are typical for us during our stays. Perhaps other areas of Hawaii could.

If hotels would only be allowed to open at 50% capacity or so would that also be applicable to timesharing? If so I believe that some resorts have or will have over booked their capacity. How would that be handled?
As for the fever screening, it's just a second level which can catch a few that are tested negative, but have a fever. They get quarantined and retested.

I see masking and social distancing as a one or the other proposition. If you are more than six feet, your chance of infecting someone are very small, especially if you don't cough or sneeze at them. The mask is needed if you come within six feet to reduce your chance of infecting someone. In the confines of Honolulu, masking will likely be required for a while, though on the beach and in other spacious places probably not. Other locations in Hawaii are easier for social distancing.

Of course there are issues of rental cars, taxis, etc. But all can be thought through and addressed. But it's not going to be the same experience, not until there is a widespread vaccine in use. It's just not going to be the same.

I would think the 50% (or whatever) capacity would apply to any multi-use/multi-owner short-term stay facility. Hotels, motels, timeshares, VRBO rentals, etc. Hotels can address it however they want. First come first serve. Priority based on status. Owners before non-owners. Etc.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what they decide because it's likely Hawaii will get to no new cases and have that for weeks but likely will remain closed. So they will be watching the rest of the country and will make their decision on how the rest of the country is doing I think. The other thing is you can keep foreigners out and that would reduce traffic fairly significantly I would think.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
It will be interesting to see what they decide because it's likely Hawaii will get to no new cases and have that for weeks but likely will remain closed. So they will be watching the rest of the country and will make their decision on how the rest of the country is doing I think. The other thing is you can keep foreigners out and that would reduce traffic fairly significantly I would think.
If you keep people flying from outside the US out, you probably achieve a 50% or so reduction. But, it may also be that some of those countries will be safer than some of the US States, which is sad.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you keep people flying from outside the US out, you probably achieve a 50% or so reduction. But, it may also be that some of those countries will be safer than some of the US States, which is sad.

Like New Zealand and Australia.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

Dave

Perhaps there needs to be a certifcation by a medical professional to be given to the passenger to get on the plane and to check into your hotel or timeshare just as you need to show a driver license or passport.

gdrj

Reaction score

I beleive I heard in one of the press conference when they start flying again it will be
1-inter-island first
2-Domestic
3-Some time after that International

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It looks like Hawaii will likely extend the travel quarantine. I really don't blame them one bit because the reality is Hawaii has very limited medical resources which could be easily over burdened because of one infected tourist at the wrong place at the right time.

Bill

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
It looks like Hawaii will likely extend the travel quarantine. I really don't blame them one bit because the reality is Hawaii has very limited medical resources which could be easily over burdened because of one infected tourist at the wrong place at the right time.

Bill
I don't blame them, currently, but for a very different reason. I don't blame them because they don't yet have in place the necessary systems, protocols, etc., to provide adequate protection against new community spread. With testing of incoming people, testing of symptomatic people, and contact tracing -- none of which was available when the virus first showed up -- Hawaii has more than adequate medical resources and would NOT be over burdened (they didn't overwhelm their resources even when they did not have any of those things).

It is not about the medical resources. It is about the ability to minimize risk and contain/prevent community spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.