• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Destination Point Transfer Fee

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Hello all. I am not a member of MVC but curious about the destination point system.

How do you guys feel about the transfer fee that Marriott charges and how do you feel the transfer price will effect / hamper being able to sell them later if I were to decide to exit the program?

I’m on the fence about getting into Marriott or Hyatt, but the high fee for DP transfers makes me wince a bit.

Finally how do MF’s compare in the program compared to just having deeded units?

Thanks

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I’m assuming you mean the initiation/enrollment/junk fees.

MF’s for Points is more than Mf’s for weeks.

My expectation is that my points are “worthless” so that way I’m not disappointed if I have to sell.
Thanks...

I can get over spending $2-5K to buy around 7,000 points but the $22K plus transfer fee is the deal breaker. It also seems like it would make it hard to unload with this fee in place.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thanks...

I can get over spending $2-5K to buy around 7,000 points but the $22K plus transfer fee is the deal breaker. It also seems like it would make it hard to unload with this fee in place.

No way to get 7,000 points resale for $2000 to $5000. Resale points will cost you anywhere from $2.25 per point to $4-$4.50 per point depending on the deal you negotiate and whether or not it passes Marriott's ROFR. So, even before the $3/point Marriott fees, you will need to pay at least $15K or so to the seller (if you get lucky like some have and get points past ROFR under $3/point), but it could take as much as $28K to get 7,000 points past ROFR. Then on top of that, you will need to pay Marriott $21,000.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks...

There are a number of people on tug, including me, who have purchased resale points. There is a market for them.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks...

At less than a dollar per point, that would get ROFR'd and you'd never even have the opportunity. Use #2 in my signature to figure out your total cost using $3 or $4 per point.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
True for high point-value weeks, not true for many less valuable weeks. It is definitely true for me, as I have only high value weeks.

I hadn’t really thought of that as my only enrolled week is Vail @ 550 points. If I converted each year MF would only be around $300 vs the $700+ I’m paying now. Aggregate them for two years and it does open some other options. But after using it for Boston in October, I am reevaluating it’s trade value.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hadn’t really thought of that as my only enrolled week is Vail @ 550 points. If I converted each year MF would only be around $300 vs the $700+ I’m paying now. Aggregate them for two years and it does open some other options. But after using it for Boston in October, I am reevaluating it’s trade value.

The MF does not change. You still pay the weeks MF. They were merely comparing MF of actual points vs weeks. An enrolled week is still a week.