• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your building welcomes hosting on Airbnb!

RENTER

Reaction score
Add Bentley Brook and National Harbor to the list of resorts where there is a building agreement with short term rental sites and Wyndham. So far, no owners who had postings approved that I know of have had cease and desist letters sent and Wyndham has not asked for a cut of the rent.

troy12n

Reaction score
Add Bentley Brook and National Harbor to the list of resorts where there is a building agreement with short term rental sites and Wyndham. So far, no owners who had postings approved that I know of have had cease and desist letters sent and Wyndham has not asked for a cut of the rent.

I own at National Harbor, and assure you that what you are discussing (blatant lies) has absolutely not been communicated to owners... because it's fake news

Further more, National Harbor was never sold as fixed weeks, so that blows that idea out of the water.

I think this whole line of comments is BS

DRIless

Reaction score
I own at National Harbor, and assure you that what you are discussing (blatant lies) has absolutely not been communicated to owners... because it's fake news

Further more, National Harbor was never sold as fixed weeks, so that blows that idea out of the water.

I think this whole line of comments is BS
Dear Troy,
Not so fast ... it won't be communicated to you until you try to put a listing for your unit week or any time reserved with points at National Harbor on Airbnb. Then it is Airbnb who will tell you. This is not BS.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Dear Troy,
Not so fast ... it won't be communicated to you until you try to put a listing for your unit week or any time reserved with points at National Harbor on Airbnb. Then it is Airbnb who will tell you. This is not BS.
Just amazing how much @troy12n knows about renting. I don't know why he is so intent on spreading misinformation. Usually a good rule not to talk about things you really don't know about. But he likes to post like he knows what he's talking about, weaving halve truths and his lop-sided opinion along the way.

troy12n

Reaction score
Just amazing how much @troy12n knows about renting. I don't know why he is so intent on spreading misinformation. Usually a good rule not to talk about things you really don't know about. But he likes to post like he knows what he's talking about, weaving halve truths and his lop-sided opinion along the way.

I don't know anything about renting, unlike some of you shysters... and I think everyone here knows my position on renting. But what I do know, being an owner at NH, is that no such communications have come to us from either Wyndham or Capital Cove (our HOA) about this, in either email or snail mail, which most of the stuff comes in on...

@Sandi Bo are YOU an owner at NH? Or are you just trying to stir the pot? Might want to not throw rocks in glass houses when talking about "opinions"...

This OP's entire line of garbage he has posted has been questioned by pretty much everyone, and it says a lot that you are taking the time to defend him, in an apparent attempt to spite me

Hawaii2022

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, Hilton
I don't know anything about renting, unlike some of you shysters... and I think everyone here knows my position on renting. But what I do know, being an owner at NH, is that no such communications have come to us from either Wyndham or Capital Cove (our HOA) about this, in either email or snail mail, which most of the stuff comes in on...

@Sandi Bo are YOU an owner at NH? Or are you just trying to stir the pot? Might want to not throw rocks in glass houses when talking about "opinions"...

This OP's entire line of garbage he has posted has been questioned by pretty much everyone, and it says a lot that you are taking the time to defend him, in an apparent attempt to spite me
You may be right that Wyndham or Capital Cove HOA has not made deeded owners of National Harbor aware of the Airbnb partnership. I am an owner at National Harbor and do not recall seeing anything sent to us. (Maybe try contacting a board member or the resort manager)

What is be stated is REAL! Wyndham and Airbnb have entered into a partnership that will make most if not all of the Wyndham Resorts Airbnb Residential Host Resort Buildings. (National Harbor is currently included) This requires those who want to list on Airbnb to agree to a new terms & conditions agreement and be approved by the resort. (I think HOA resident manager??) Not really sure who makes the approval. I called Airbnb and the supervisor I spoke with did not know who would approve or decline the listing request.

Extra Holidays currently has listings for many of the Wyndham Resorts on Airbnb. It will show Extra Holidays as the owner or account manager on their listings.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So maybe the agreement is really for wyndham to be able to post on AirBnB as an additional outlet to rent out the units they control.

@DRIless or @RENTER have you personally listed with AirBnB any wyndham units lately and if so at which resorts. @Renters second hand accounts about all of those that you knows that have listed isn't nearly as useful as a real first person account.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me ask this question, because I can find no answer in previous posts, "What about other rental platforms such as Craigslist, VRBO, etc.?" Do these rentals need "approval" from Wyndham and/or the HOA? Is AirBnB and Extra Holidays now the only options for rental ads at the affected resorts? If so, then some kind of announcement from the HOA would seem to be obligatory.

If not, then is this not just a "tempest in a teapot" as renters listing with AirBnB would just move to platforms other than AirBnB? Is AirBnB really that much of the rental market to make a difference?

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham

Why, yes, I am an owner at National Harbor. And exiting this conversation. I don't know anything about the topic and thus going back to my original thoughts - not commenting on something I know nothing about (nor care to conjecture about especially if it might mislead others). I certainly am not going to try to ASSURE anybody about anything on this topic, as that would be misleading on my part.

Last edited:

DRIless

Reaction score
So maybe the agreement is really for wyndham to be able to post on AirBnB as an additional outlet to rent out the units they control.

@DRIless or @RENTER have you personally listed with AirBnB any wyndham units lately and if so at which resorts. @Renters second hand accounts about all of those that you knows that have listed isn't nearly as useful as a real first person account.
My listing on Airbnb has been taken down by Airbnb as I did not comply with Orwellian measures (apply to join their great Wyndham has convinced, or possibly paid, Airbnb to participate in. My thought is that this is all so that Wyndham can, more easily, collect data at whatever point they want to drop the ball on those who voluntarily submit to this wonderful program.

I am the OP in this iteration of the subject and I have not posted any hear say. I've not posted any "line of garbage."

Username RENTER has posted a lot of opinions and second hand information that might encourage larger or smaller casual renters to submit while true MEGA renters I doubt are signing up, but finding ways around this obstacle. Unfortunately, Airbnb, the largest player in short term rental advertising market, has bent over and joined Wyndham in hurting the sharing economy in short term rentals.

I feel like this was a program originally formed by Airbnb to help apartment building HOAs cope with the short term rental 'crisis' and Wyndham has capitalized on it and applied it to their HOAs.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

The agreement(s) in question are primarily to help standardize rental listing formats on AirBnB (and other similar rental platforms) and to ensure that any/all listings put up on AirBnB (and other similar rental platforms) actually have real owner-based reservations behind them. This is what I've been able to gather on this topic to date. This is a brand protection issue of sorts for Wyndham, as an increasing number of owners in the rental business were listing rentals for reservations that did not actually exist at the time of listing, and in the worst cases renters would arrive at the resort(s) in question only to find that no reservations actually existed, or their reservations were "cancelled" by the renter at the last minute (because they didn't really ever exist) and in some cases the monies spent by the renter were never recovered from the owner. This obviously reflects badly on Wyndham - regardless of the fact that the owner-renter is really to blame.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Let me ask this question, because I can find no answer in previous posts, "What about other rental platforms such as Craigslist, VRBO, etc.?" Do these rentals need "approval" from Wyndham and/or the HOA? Is AirBnB and Extra Holidays now the only options for rental ads at the affected resorts? If so, then some kind of announcement from the HOA would seem to be obligatory.

If not, then is this not just a "tempest in a teapot" as renters listing with AirBnB would just move to platforms other than AirBnB? Is AirBnB really that much of the rental market to make a difference?

What we're seeing likely won't be limited only to AirBnB - though that's where this whole thing started since it's one of the largest vacation rental platforms out there - I'd expect this same thing to occur with other platforms moving forward.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The agreement(s) in question are primarily to help standardize rental listing formats on AirBnB (and other similar rental platforms) and to ensure that any/all listings put up on AirBnB (and other similar rental platforms) actually have real owner-based reservations behind them. This is what I've been able to gather on this topic to date. This is a brand protection issue of sorts for Wyndham, as an increasing number of owners in the rental business were listing rentals for reservations that did not actually exist at the time of listing, and in the worst cases renters would arrive at the resort(s) in question only to find that no reservations actually existed, or their reservations were "cancelled" by the renter at the last minute (because they didn't really ever exist) and in some cases the monies spent by the renter were never recovered from the owner. This obviously reflects badly on Wyndham - regardless of the fact that the owner-renter is really to blame.
I can understand that. In your opinion then does this standardization mean that wyndham is condoning renting at those properties and if an owner conforms to the standardization in their rental agreements that wyndham can't or won't go after those owners for commercial renting or at least won't cancel those particular reservations based off of those ads. That is what @RENTER is implying but that seems like a separate issue to me.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I can understand that. In your opinion then does this standardization mean that wyndham is condoning renting at those properties and if an owner conforms to the standardization in their rental agreements that wyndham can't or won't go after those owners for commercial renting or at least won't cancel those particular reservations based off of those ads. That is what @RENTER is implying but that seems like a separate issue to me.

I think the answer to that question remains outstanding. I honestly suspect it's a both/and for Wyndham. By implementing these types of enforcement and oversight mechanisms for third party rental companies like AirBnB - Wyndham is ensuring more consistent rental experiences for owner-based rentals - which protects their brand in the marketplace. Wyndham also happens to gain new data streams about owner-based rentals at the same time - particularly with the third party rental companies - which could enable Wyndham to further crack down on owner-based rental activities in the future. Is that light at the end of the tunnel an oncoming train? We shall see - only time will tell.

Last edited:

DRIless

Reaction score

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
What we're seeing likely won't be limited only to AirBnB - though that's where this whole thing started since it's one of the largest vacation rental platforms out there - I'd expect this same thing to occur with other platforms moving forward.
So the answer, for now, is that this is just a "tempest in a teapot" since all other third party rental sites are still in play with no "approval" needed from Wyndham.

Highly doubtful Craigslist or Koala, among other third party rental sites, would ever join the Wyndham/AirBnB rental cartel. Renters in this forum have posted in the past about their success using Craigslist -- one example:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Highly doubtful Craigslist or Koala, among other third party rental sites, would ever join the Wyndham/AirBnB rental cartel. Renters in this forum have posted in the past about their success using Craigslist -- one example:
I know that Koala also lists a number of their listings on Airbnb. Not sure how that would come into play here.

RENTER

Reaction score
Add Durango as another resort Wyndham is allowing owners to host on Airbnb.

RENTER

Reaction score
Add Durango as the newest resort that Wyndham is allowing owners to rent on AIrbnb. So far since I joined this program in October, I have had no problems. No reservations using a guest pass have been cancelled.
No requests from Wyndham for revenue sharing
All my postings have been approved by Wyndham without requiring any changes.
Still able to book far out and then if there are any rooms available within 60 days can still cancel and rebook at the lower discounted points.
Still able to get upgrades.

This only applies to the non-black out period. I avoid the blackout period.

The only problem I have been having is individual towns and counties requiring applications to rent which is why I was went on a tear to rent as much as I could before they did something like this. Because I have paid off my loans and do not need as many rentals now, I will scale back on where I rent.

Wyndham if you are watching and this continues, I will be glad to again recommend you to others.

DRIless

Reaction score
The only problem I have been having is individual towns and counties requiring applications to rent which is why I was went on a tear to rent as much as I could before they did something like this. Because I have paid off my loans and do not need as many rentals now, I will scale back on where I rent.
I called the county near me that has three Wyndham Resorts they told me that I didn't have to apply for anything, the property is already a short term rental business.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

Airbnb has made some new changes to the way their (service) fees are set up
How much does Airbnb Charge Hosts and/or Guests

RENTER

Reaction score
I called the county near me that has three Wyndham Resorts they told me that I didn't have to apply for anything, the property is already a short term rental business.
Generally, you would think that all the resorts are already zoned for short term rentals and owners are exempt from applying. Except we are dealing with 2 bureaucracies. Airbnb and the government. The government creates one size fit all rules aimed at solving the problems they are having with residential homes in residential neighborhoods. So, they pass laws requiring short term rental sites like Airbnb, VRBO and Booking to require those renting on their sites to apply or follow certain rules and receive a license number to apply to their post. Failure to do so. then you are not allowed to rent on their sites. Most of the times, when the government passes this one size fits all laws, they do not consider timeshares. They may provide an exemption for hotels but not for timeshares. Some do consider timeshares and allows an exemption when applying. Trying to explain this to employees of the government and the short-term rental sites is like talking to the walls. Recently I had to pay $50 to one city to receive a license number to rent in that city for 2 years. I never received the number. When I called the government agency to get it, they were confused because they had 17 applications for the same address. They did not know it was a timeshare. Now these laws generally only apply to properties being rented online on a short-term rental site. People renting on their own are exempt. That is generally. In some cities, short term rentals are banned. Don't ask about the rules for New York City. Many people just don't rent there.

RENTER

Reaction score
Add Avon to the list of. resorts that have an agreement with Airbnb. Also received an email from Airbnb that Clark County which is Vegas is requiring registration and a licensing fee in order to continue to post on Airbnb. I reviewed the application, and it is a one size fits all application that does not work with renting timeshare points. It applies to only single ownership which is logical since renting timeshare points is unusual. It does mention that you still have to do it if your property is in a common interest location such as a condo complex. I sent them an email explaining my situation and how should I proceed. In the meantime, anyone who has dealt with Airbnb customer service knows this will be difficult to explain to Airbnb and have them to continue the posting. So, I am assuming I will no longer be renting out Vegas on an online rental site and will only be renting there to my friends and relatives. Again, another reason I was renting so much. I knew this was going to happen, so I wanted as many renters as possible and get my loans paid off before it happened, so I have repeat business and do not have to use a short-term rental site. With my loans paid off, I do not have to rent as much. Because of what I did, I have enough repeat business not coming from the online rental sites that will cover my maintenance fees.

Last edited: