• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Your building welcomes hosting on Airbnb!

Reaction score
Add Avon to the list of. resorts that have an agreement with Airbnb. Also received an email from Airbnb that Clark County which is Vegas is requiring registration and a licensing fee in order to continue to post on Airbnb. I reviewed the application, and it is a one size fits all application that does not work with renting timeshare points. It applies to only single ownership which is logical since renting timeshare points is unusual. It does mention that you still have to do it if your property is in a common interest location such as a condo complex. I sent them an email explaining my situation and how should I proceed. In the meantime, anyone who has dealt with Airbnb customer service knows this will be difficult to explain to Airbnb and have them to continue the posting. So, I am assuming I will no longer be renting out Vegas on an online rental site and will only be renting there to my friends and relatives. Again, another reason I was renting so much. I knew this was going to happen, so I wanted as many renters as possible and get my loans paid off before it happened, so I have repeat business and do not have to use a short-term rental site. With my loans paid off, I do not have to rent as much. Because of what I did, I have enough repeat business not coming from the online rental sites that will cover my maintenance fees.
In the coming year, Wyndham will be infiltrating all rental sites to eliminate owners renting! If you have 2 fixed weeks a year, let's say for hypothetical purposes and you opt in to Airbnb Community and start renting those two weeks which is fine. Once you rent more than those two weeks, you will be shut down

Also, if you own a lot of weeks plus manage any other owners account, they send you a spreadsheet requesting Wyndham Reservation Confirmation ,timeshare owners name, airbnb host name and Airbnb listing id so they can identify each owner renting and shut them down with a cease & desist letter.

Here is an email from Airbnb below

So I was able to talk to the team handling Wyndham, and we do have an agreement (a resident Hosting program where Extra Holidays gains the ability to see which guests have booked their properties and to tie them to the correct timeshare owner/Reservation before arrival. This eliminates the possibility for negative guest experiences).

My team told me that in your case, there are two approaches:

- The best thing a Host can do is provide Extra Holidays with the details they are requesting 1) Timeshare Owner's name 2) Reservation tied to the timeshare owner named
- In the case of larger accounts such as yours, they recommend filling out the attached file and for you to include every TImeshare owner they represent and sending it to Airbnb@wyn.com

I am not sure this answers your questions and/or alleviates your worries? Were you aware of such a protocol?
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sou Tangkhapanya
Airbnb

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is th medium cost to rent a 2 bedroom unit at National Harbor thru Airbnb off season?

troy12n

Reaction score
Or... maybe... you could just use your timeshare for it's intended purpose and not a revenue stream.

Maybe not try to find more loopholes to try to make money off your timeshare?

Reaction score
Or... maybe... you could just use your timeshare for it's intended purpose and not a revenue stream.

Maybe not try to find more loopholes to try to make money off your timeshare?
Sounds like a Wyndham Employee talking

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sounds like a Wyndham Employee talking
Not really, sales people of the past long touted using your timeshare to rent out for revenue, or to at least pay for all your MFs and make your vacations FREE!

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
*** MODERATOR POST ***

Please note that content with inappropriate language that violates the BE COURTEOUS forum rules was removed from this thread - and all subsequent replies were also removed as a result. Forum rules quoted for direct reference. Please continue to leverage the "Report" post function if anyone feels that a specific post contains inappropriate content:

Be Courteous

As we read and respond to others, disagreements are inevitable. Differing points of view are welcomed, and indeed the bbs would be a dull place without them. All users are expected and required to express their disagreements civilly. Refrain from name calling and behavior lectures. Personal attacks will not be tolerated and repeated offenses could get you banned from the bbs. Lively discussion is what the board is all about, but that is no excuse for boorish behavior or bad manners. We are assumed to all be adults. If you don't like a particular thread, stop reading it!
Honor changes entered by moderators

You may not alter, edit, or delete any edits introduced into your message by a Moderator or Administrator. This is considered a serious offense and may result in loss of posting privileges.
In addition, do not enter complaints about moderation into BBS messages. Such posts will be considered off-topic and will be removed. Any such complaints or discussion should be communicated to the bbs staff directly via email or personal message.

RENTER

Reaction score
Just an update on the building agreement with Airbnb and Wyndham. I agreed to accept back in the fall and have had no issues and have not been required to make any changes to my Airbnb postings.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Just an update on the building agreement with Airbnb and Wyndham. I agreed to accept back in the fall and have had no issues and have not been required to make any changes to my Airbnb postings.
He's baaack!

RENTER

Reaction score
Never left and still going 23 months later. 23 months of income to pay my maintenance fees. So feel free to ignore like I ignored many of you who advised me to give up the fight.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I think you forgot the word "yet". You have had no issues yet. Wyndham has decided you're not worth dealing with, yet. If that changes, they will do something. They likely have bigger fish to fry right now. Good luck to you.

RENTER

Reaction score
I think you forgot the word "yet". You have had no issues yet. Wyndham has decided you're not worth dealing with, yet. If that changes, they will do something. They likely have bigger fish to fry right now. Good luck to you.
You are correct, YET is the key word. But it has been 23 months since I have been waiting for YET to occur. As someone in our debates had mentioned. They are playing the long game. So the longer they play to catch those bigger fish the longer I bring them in money and I get to enjoy the resorts. The day YET occurs, is the day I walk away.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
It probably slows Wyndham down that the airbnb account is under a relative's name.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
It probably slows Wyndham down that the airbnb account is under a relative's name.
All they need is a confirmation number and they can figure it out.

RENTER

Reaction score
How I wish you were right. I always suspected you of being a Wyndham spy. If you were right, it would prove to me that you are since only Wyndham would know that. Sadly, you are wrong, so I still do not know if you're a Wyndham spy. What proves your theory wrong is that Wyndham has access to my Airbnb, VRBO and Trip Advisor posts and my name is on the posts.

Wyndham may be slow because they may have finally realized.
1. How much i was bringing with guest pass fees and point protection fees
2. How much free advertising they were receiving with the 5 star reviews my rentals were receiving,
3. New potential buyers I was bringing into the resorts.

They may have concluded that the changes the made by
1. Creating the black out period
2. Removing VIP benefits from resales

May have been a perfect compromise and that they can have the best of both worlds.
1.Owners happy they can find availability during prime dates at prime resorts
2. Renters still bring in guest pass and points protection fees along with the free advertising.

I may be wrong, but I have not seen any complaints about them cracking down on renting after they made those changes which I had no problem with. Also, the building agreement policy began after those changes.

But if I am wrong and they are still going to crack down on us, so be it. My rentals paid for the loans and the last 23 months of trips. But traveling is getting to be a hassle and I am getting tired of it. So, I have no problem walking away.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
How I wish you were right. I always suspected you of being a Wyndham spy. If you were right, it would prove to me that you are since only Wyndham would know that. Sadly, you are wrong, so I still do not know if you're a Wyndham spy. What proves your theory wrong is that Wyndham has access to my Airbnb, VRBO and Trip Advisor posts and my name is on the posts.

2. How much free advertising they were receiving with the 5 star reviews my rentals were receiving,

May have been a perfect compromise and that they can have the best of both worlds.
2. Renters still bring in guest pass and points protection fees along with the free advertising.

I may be wrong, but I have not seen any complaints about them cracking down on renting after they made those changes which I had no problem with. Also, the building agreement policy began after those changes.

But if I am wrong and they are still going to crack down on us, so be it. My rentals paid for the loans and the last 23 months of trips. But traveling is getting to be a hassle and I am getting tired of it. So, I have no problem walking away.
I wouldn't interpret a lack of action over a one or two year time period to mean that Wyndham isn't going to target you eventually. The reality is that Wyndham isn't taking action persistently over time. They perform these types of audits when they have the resources to do so - as those resources have other jobs to do day to day. It's very unlikely that Wyndham has dedicated resources doing nothing but auditing for commercial rental activity. What is much more likely, is that once every year or so, or perhaps even longer, they run audit reports using certain criteria, and then evaluate those accounts that appeared in the audit list and take action where applicable - typically from what we've seen - by sending the cease and desist letters as a shot across the bow and then following up if the offending behavior continues. Only time will tell though. The last major crackdown prior to this last one was back in 2016 timeframe IIRC - when various megarenter accounts were frozen and exited from the system.

It is interesting to see you say that traveling is getting to be a hassle and that you are getting tired of it after only 23 months of trips. We are five years into our ownership as of this month and love our timeshare and look forward to every trip we take for various different reasons depending on where we're going. We envision a lifetime of trips over the next 20 years as we expand out to new resorts and into RCI and now Worldmark since online Club Pass bookings have been added to the website. To each his own I suppose.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points #1 and #3 were posted by some renters in 2008 when certain measures were introduced to counter megarenter activity. Not long after, they never posted in TUG, again. Same in 2016, when some megarenters thought they were doing Wyndham a solid by bringing "fresh meat" to the sales table. What was different in 2016 is that a counterpoint was brought up; i.e., "Why would someone buy into Club Wyndham for tens of thousand of dollars when they could rent whenever they wanted for less than maintenance fees and not be locked into a long term commitment?" That logic made sense to me, and probably Wyndham, too. Renters were hurting sales much more than they were helping.

It certainly did not stop the deadliest blow to the megarenters in 2022(?), when VIP benefits, including the VIP discounts, were eliminated from resale points.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
Points #1 and #3 were posted by some renters in 2008 when certain measures were introduced to counter megarenter activity. Not long after, they never posted in TUG, again. Same in 2016, when some megarenters thought they were doing Wyndham a solid by bringing "fresh meat" to the sales table. What was different in 2016 is that a counterpoint was brought up; i.e., "Why would someone buy into Club Wyndham for tens of thousand of dollars when they could rent whenever they wanted for less than maintenance fees and not be locked into a long term commitment?" That logic made sense to me, and probably Wyndham, too. Renters were hurting sales much more than they were helping.

It certainly did not stop the deadliest blow to the megarenters in 2022(?), when VIP benefits, including the VIP discounts, were eliminated from resale points.
People who are knowledgeable enough to know how to rent points are not the same people who are buying direct from the developer. People who buy direct need to not know much about timeshares or how they work (or else they would buy resale). Someone who knows about redweek, or how to rent on airbnb, is not buying direct. At best, they're going to buy resale after renting.

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
They likely have bigger fish to fry right now...
Speaking of bigger fish, I ran across the Wisconsin Dells Rentals Facebook group the other day. Now that is a racket. I now know why it is so hard to get into Glacier Canyon in the summer!

RENTER

Reaction score
People who are knowledgeable enough to know how to rent points are not the same people who are buying direct from the developer. People who buy direct need to not know much about timeshares or how they work (or else they would buy resale). Someone who knows about redweek, or how to rent on airbnb, is not buying direct. At best, they're going to buy resale after renting.
WRONG. People who bought direct from the developer also bought resale. Until they changed the rules, they attached the resales to the developer points to get the resells the VIP benefits. Because of that they WERE ABLE TO PAY OFF THEIR LOANS that got them the discounts.

YES, we cannot do that anymore. However, we knew what resorts had the lower maintenance fees. So, our maintenance fees are low enough that it does not matter if we cannot get a discount on the resale points.

That is because WE KNOW what events are going on during non-black out dates where local hotels jack up the rates. So, we do not need the discounts and have no problem renting because we are still saving guests money.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

The tiny amount of supposed business you throw their way is not enough to give you special treatment. It’s a little arrogant to think you have a big enough impact on their bottom line to warrant giving you a pass. There were mega renters, who sent many many many more people then you have to those resorts, and they got shut down. If the volume of the people they sent to the resorts mattered to Wyndham, they would still be operating, but they are not. You are not doing Wyndham any favors. The fact that they are not trying to shut you down at the moment should show you how little they care about your rental activity. At least at the moment. Once the bigger fish are dealt with, they will move onto smaller fish. They may or may not deem you enough trouble to deal with. Who knows. Maybe you’ll get lucky and you will continue to fly under their radar and be able to pull in some money.

I agree with Fido. People renting from owners or AirBNB are not going to bother taking in a long term financial commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RENTER

Reaction score
I wouldn't interpret a lack of action over a one or two year time period to mean that Wyndham isn't going to target you eventually. The reality is that Wyndham isn't taking action persistently over time. They perform these types of audits when they have the resources to do so - as those resources have other jobs to do day to day. It's very unlikely that Wyndham has dedicated resources doing nothing but auditing for commercial rental activity. What is much more likely, is that once every year or so, or perhaps even longer, they run audit reports using certain criteria, and then evaluate those accounts that appeared in the audit list and take action where applicable - typically from what we've seen - by sending the cease and desist letters as a shot across the bow and then following up if the offending behavior continues. Only time will tell though. The last major crackdown prior to this last one was back in 2016 timeframe IIRC - when various megarenter accounts were frozen and exited from the system.

It is interesting to see you say that traveling is getting to be a hassle and that you are getting tired of it after only 23 months of trips. We are five years into our ownership as of this month and love our timeshare and look forward to every trip we take for various different reasons depending on where we're going. We envision a lifetime of trips over the next 20 years as we expand out to new resorts and into RCI and now Worldmark since online Club Pass bookings have been added to the website. To each his own I suppose.
I have been traveling for 20 plus years for business and pleasure. I have been to all the states except Hawaii and Alaska. With my loans paid off, I rented less and traveled more. But I am tired of the traffic, the weather, the crime and the crowds. I have not included flying because I do not fly. It is hard for me to motivate myself to return to somewhere where I have been to deal with all that crap.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Speaking of bigger fish, I ran across the Wisconsin Dells Rentals Facebook group the other day. Now that is a racket. I now know why it is so hard to get into Glacier Canyon in the summer!

Glacier Canyon is on the list for Owner Priority over the summer. They are still allowed two though.

RENTER

Reaction score
The tiny amount of supposed business you throw their way is not enough to give you special treatment. It’s a little arrogant to think you have a big enough impact on their bottom line to warrant giving you a pass. There were mega renters, who sent many many many more people then you have to those resorts, and they got shut down. If the volume of the people they sent to the resorts mattered to Wyndham, they would still be operating, but they are not. You are not doing Wyndham any favors. The fact that they are not trying to shut you down at the moment should show you how little they care about your rental activity. At least at the moment. Once the bigger fish are dealt with, they will move onto smaller fish. They may or may not deem you enough trouble to deal with. Who knows. Maybe you’ll get lucky and you will continue to fly under their radar and be able to pull in some money.

I agree with Fido. People renting from owners or AirBNB are not going to bother taking in a long term financial commitment.

No but if they like the resort, they may book from the hotel site if they want to return and there are no timeshare rentals to be had.

Yes I am a small fish but I am one of many and that then adds up