• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham points vs Rci points?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
n/a
New to all this and it's a lot to absorb!

I read a thread in 2011 that Wyndham took over Rci? I am looking to get rci points so my husband and I can start travel. Should I look to buy wyndham points or rci points? Looking to buy 308,000 wyd points. Thank you!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't buy RCI Points deed or ownership. You buy a week at a resort where the week has been converted to RCI Points verses being just associated with TPU points in the RCI (weeks) Exchange system.

Wyndham Points are NOT RCI points ... but there is a fixed exchange grid with RCI (weeks) Exchange based on unit size and HOW many Wyndham points each unit size and season level are needed to book a week with an additional exchange fee.

RCI Points was a way to get a resort owner who wanted less than a 7 night (week) exchange to PAY a conversion fee to join RCI Points. And RCI weeks decided to 'uncloak' the mystery of exchange values with TPUs and to encourage HIGHER end and more desirable inventory to be deposited by giving HIGH TPU value to those deposits.

So, 24 TPUs is in the RCI Weeks system. 24,000 RCI Points is in the RCI Points system.

Different exchange fees. Different booking windows. Different exchange fees. Different membership fees.

And RCI makes more money.

PS Wyndham resale buyers get access to RCI Weeks only. Wyndham developer buyers are supposed to get access to both RCI Weeks and RCI Points inventory.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
n/a
Thanks Linda...I can't believe how hard this is to decide. So if I had 300,000 resale wyn points...I couldn't use them within RCI for anything less than a week? Hope I'm not sounding silly here....

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
A Wyndham resale owner does NOT have access to RCI Points ... only RCI Weeks.

If you buy Wyndham points, plan on using them to book Wyndham vacations.

Depositing into RCI involves an exchange fee ... and if you own other RCI weeks, you can deposit those into RCI weeks .... get TPUs. Which MIGHT work out to a better cost for exchanges.

I deposited Wyndham points to RCI at end of the year to avoid losing the points .. but after adding in the exchange fee on top of all the Wyndham fees ... it gets expensive.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
n/a
the exchange fee's....can you tell me how much roughly? is it thousands...hundreds....?

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
$238for RCI Weeks, I believe ... the fees go up every year or two.

RCI weeks is what comes with a resale Wyndham account. RCI Weeks and RCI Points come with a direct Wyndham account.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham points usage have fees, too. Every 77K gets you 1 Reservation Transaction fee. Each 1K of points gets you one Housekeeping Credit.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
n/a
wow...thanks for the clarification on all this! I guess I need to decide b/w resale wyn points or resale rci points. I'm trying to keep all this simple but it's a bit mind numbing.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
If timesharing was a foreign language ... you would expect to have a learning curve.

Just continue to read and ask questions ... rent a few times different resorts and at different chains.

Buying into ANY timeshare is easy .. getting rid of one is HARDER (esp a dog week or resort).

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI Nightly Stays (essentially points inventory used for less than a week) are not worth it. On top of the booking fee (which is slightly prorated), you usually have to pay an additional housekeeping fee that you would not normally pay if staying a whole week. So your 1 night stay in a 2BR may end up costing you the equivalent of $200-300!

I'd just as soon book a hotel room or an Embassy Suites at that rate.

I'd recommend getting Club Wyndham points. No exchange fees if you book within Wyndham; and if you still want to use RCI, you can deposit your CW points to RCI and book a week somewhere. And if you don't want to burn CW points in RCI, your Wyndham ownership still gets you access to RCI cash booking options such as Last Call and Extra Vacations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mafinster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village @ Parkway
[Duplicate post deleted. From our posting rules:

Avoid posting duplicate messages

Choose the most appropriate forum for your message and place it there and only there. Posting the same message in multiple forums spreads the replies around to different parts of the board and makes them much harder to locate later. If your message does not fit with the stated theme of any of the other forums, please place it in the TUG Lounge forum. This is a special place for "Idle Chit Chat", notices of member meetings, etc. Duplicate posts will be removed when found.​

Plus, neither resort mentioned is a Wyndham property.]

Last edited by a moderator: