• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What happens if you just stop paying maintenance fees?

stevek

Reaction score
@callwill If you make the hard decision to default, please kindly let us know if your credit got affected. It would help tuggers in similar situations moving forward.
Yes, I would like to know, as well. I don't know what to do other than default. I own a 3 Bedroom Diamond property in Orlando and have listed it this past year for $1, with escrow paid by myself, and without success on TUG, Craigslist, EBay, and with two real estate brokers specializing in timeshare resales who did not charge an upfront fee. Because I purchased the unit on the secondary market, Diamond which charges a $1000 takeback fee for the units they directly sell, refuses to take back the unit because I didn't buy it from them. I don't want to keep paying a $1200 maintenance fee and get nothing in return.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
...we thought we were doing our son and daughter-in-law a favor by putting their name on the deed.

As you now apparently know, you were not really "doing them any favors" at all. Instead, you made them unknowing and unwilling (yet legally responsible) co-owners of something that they may very well want no part of either now or in the future.

More important now than unfortunate past actions is whether or not you have undertaken to correct this situation by removing them from the deed while you are still around to do so, something which is easily and inexpensively achieved with their cooperation.

Get it done. Don't leave this matter of "involuntary ownership" lurking as a potentially unwelcome and smelly albatross for your offspring to have to deal with when you depart this earth. Instead, leave them a choice as to whether or not they want any part of this "inheritance". If you leave it to them in your will, they can then choose to either accept or disclaim that inheritance. You basically deny them any choice at all in the matter if you unilaterally placed (...and now leave) their names on the deed, thereby making them "involuntary co-owners", even if they might actually have wanted no part of it whatsoever if they had been provided with a choice.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because I purchased the unit on the secondary market, Diamond which charges a $1000 takeback fee for the units they directly sell, refuses to take back the unit because I didn't buy it from them. I don't want to keep paying a $1200 maintenance fee and get nothing in return.

At this point, your best option would probably be to contact the resort's Homeowners' Association and say that you are not paying any more money in MFs so the HOA can either take it back amicably now (with you perhaps paying the closing costs) or go through the hassle and expense of foreclosure.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would like to know, as well. I don't know what to do other than default. I own a 3 Bedroom Diamond property in Orlando and have listed it this past year for $1, with escrow paid by myself, and without success on TUG, Craigslist, EBay, and with two real estate brokers specializing in timeshare resales who did not charge an upfront fee. Because I purchased the unit on the secondary market, Diamond which charges a $1000 takeback fee for the units they directly sell, refuses to take back the unit because I didn't buy it from them. I don't want to keep paying a $1200 maintenance fee and get nothing in return.
And if you do as LannyPC suggests, you may need to hang tough against the onslaught of calls to pay up until they give up. If you are waiting for me to see what will happen it will be years. I have afew left on my RCI subscription, and then plan to just use without a trading company for a few years and then go dark on them. Should you chose to accept this mission before then, you should also report back here on your experience including whether or not they took it back the easy way, chose to forclose, What fees you paid to close out your interest if any and if any reports were made to the credit bureaus.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
More important than unfortunate past actions however is whether or not you have since undertaken to correct this situation by removing them from the deed, which is easily and inexpensively done with their cooperation.

Get it done. Don't leave this matter of "involuntary ownership" lurking as an unwelcome, smelly albatross for your offspring to have to deal with when you depart this earth. Instead, leave them with a choice as to whether or not they want any part of this "inheritance". You basically deny them any choice in the matter at all if you place (and / or leave) their names on the deed, thereby making and leaving them "involuntary co-owners".

This makes so much sense even if co-owner currently thinks they want Week. They are better off if you leave it to them in your will. That way if they have a change in circumstance or otherwise change their mind, they have an out. In addition if you later decide to sell, you won't have to track down co-owner to sign off...

George

torreal62

Reaction score
I have researched this topic in depth and made hundreds of phone calls. There is no end to this horrific burden. It is impossible to get anyone of reason on the phone at Bluegreen. You get the same BS over and over. I just learned the term" perpetuity" in contract terminology. There is no such thing as quit deedback either. That does not apply to Bluegreen. What bothers me the most about the process is that even if you find a buyer, the process is arduous and Bluegreen has the right to first refusal... WTF. I'm done, walking away. Will let you all know in 6 months. As of today I have a 836 credit rating.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have researched this topic in depth and made hundreds of phone calls. There is no end to this horrific burden. It is impossible to get anyone of reason on the phone at Bluegreen. You get the same BS over and over. I just learned the term" perpetuity" in contract terminology. There is no such thing as quit deedback either. That does not apply to Bluegreen. What bothers me the most about the process is that even if you find a buyer, the process is arduous and Bluegreen has the right to first refusal... WTF. I'm done, walking away. Will let you all know in 6 months. As of today I have a 836 credit rating.
Letting us know in 6 mos is nice, it might be more helpful to those considering this process if you reveal details as they unfold with a recap summary at the end. From what i have gathered, the first thing is to stop communicating with them. Do not answer any communications.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
...even if you find a buyer, the process is arduous and Bluegreen has the right to first refusal...

That does not necessarily mean that BG will exercise that right. And even if BG did, that would mean that BG would have to buy it from you for the price you originally agreed with the other potential buyer. Either way, you will be rid of the TS.

torreal62

Reaction score
Letting us know in 6 mos is nice, it might be more helpful to those considering this process if you reveal details as they unfold with a recap summary at the end. From what i have gathered, the first thing is to stop communicating with them. Do not answer any communications.

That does not necessarily mean that BG will exercise that right. And even if BG did, that would mean that BG would have to buy it from you for the price you originally agreed with the other potential buyer. Either way, you will be rid of the TS.
Even so, I am usually a think very optimistically... not so in this case. I would sell it for 1.00 and pay all transfer and closing fees but again, pretty impossible to find buyers.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I understand the plight in which you are. I was just correcting a misconception many people have about Right of First Refusal (ROFR). Many owners see that and panic. Other exit/relief/cancel firms exploit that leading their potential victims customers to believe that it's impossible to get rid of a TS because of ROFR but can if you use their "services".

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even so, I am usually a think very optimistically... not so in this case. I would sell it for 1.00 and pay all transfer and closing fees but again, pretty impossible to find buyers.
Yes. as LannyPC explained, you need to understand that BG cannot block the sale. ROFR, as i understand it, only allows them to step in and buy it before you can sell it to anyone else.
BG may want you to believe that they can just say no and stick you. So. if you were able to line up a buyer, i would serve notice that you are about to sell it and what the terms are.

"Right of first refusal (ROFR), also known as first right of refusal, is a contractual right to enter into a business transaction with a person or company before anyone else can. If the party with this right declines to enter into a transaction, the obligor is free to entertain other offers"

echoloader

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
grandview at vegas
what happens if you are in Canada and you stop paying maintanance fee. Anybody has the experience I really donot care about the credit scores. just curiuos to find out what they will do.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
what happens if you are in Canada and you stop paying maintanance fee. Anybody has the experience I really donot care about the credit scores. just curiuos to find out what they will do.
There is no hard and fast rule of exactly what any TS resort or group absolutely will do. Odds are, at first, they'll assess late fees. Then they'll add 'reinstatement fees'. Ultimately they'll turn the account over to 'in house' collection. If that doesn't get results, the debt will be sold (for pennies on the dollars owed) to a collection agency. And if that doesn't work, they'll foreclose on the interval.

Bear in mind that at each stage, letters and phone calls will be generated.

Now, I see that you list Grandview Las Vegas as an owned resort. Actually, those have a fairly good track record of being able to 're-home' using the TUG Bargain Deals sub-forum. Especially if yours has been converted to RCI Points. Those have generous points and low MF costs.

If it was me and facing this, I'd at least make a run at giving it away before subjecting myself to the alternative.

Jim

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Good luck and please report back what you find out. Is your Bluegreen a deed? If so, what state? Have you tried to give away the points on the TUG free timeshare giveaway board? (I have zero knowledge of Bluegreen but thought I would ask.)

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
@echoloader Grandview is pretty easy to offload, unless you have a terrible week.

out of 8 TS defaults by Canadians reported on TUG, 0 got reported to the Canadian credit agencies. Check out the links below. One Canadian MF defaulter was told to me in confidence, so I cannot reveal that.

If you make the hard decision to default, mind telling us if your credit got affected? It would help tuggers in similar situations moving forward.

tdietvorst

TUG Member
Reaction score
Feel similar about the 1 we bought when we were younger and dumber. Thank god we are the only ones on the deed. The problem for you and me is death and probate. I own in florida and live in NY. That pretty much means the florida "real" estate goes thru probate. My plan is to "sell" of let them foreclose...its paid off, but i will eventually stop paying the fees.
Ah, it is so good not to feel alone. Thank you Callwill.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Feel similar about the 1 we bought when we were younger and dumber. Thank god we are the only ones on the deed. The problem for you and me is death and probate. I own in florida and live in NY. That pretty much means the florida "real" estate goes thru probate. My plan is to "sell" of let them foreclose...its paid off, but i will eventually stop paying the fees.
@callwill we hope you are well and healthy. If you made the difficult decision to default, please kindly let us know if your credit got affected. It would help tuggers in similar situations moving forward.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
@callwill we hope you are well and healthy. If you made the difficult decision to default, please kindly let us know if your credit got affected. It would help tuggers in similar situations moving forward.
We wont be doing that for a few more years. Firstly, when the RCI dollars i have accumulated run out I will be done with them. Then our plan is to use our week at our resort every year for a number of years, taking advantage of the newly rebuilt/remodeled accommodations that they are now engaged in from past hurricane damage, and once we tire of that it will be offered for sale at the loser takes all price that most of these things go for and failing that, stop paying the maintenance fees/default.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
BLUEGREEN OWNERS
I finally did it, I am officially released of my ownership with Bluegreen. They actually took it back. I have contract in hand with Bluegreen. It wasn't easy , but its done.
Something good in 2020 did indeed occur.
Please detail how you managed it for all interested...like me!

torreal62

Reaction score
I wrote to the company numerous times on their website. That is the only way to get past the customer service representatives. Basically just stated I no longer wanted the condo, I had no loan on it and my maintenance dues were paid in full. It took 45 days to end the misery.