• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadian with a timeshare in Florida

John Markiv

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Silverbeach Club
10 or more years ago a friend of ours whom I rarely see these days gave us a timeshare for next to nothing. When we first went we thought this is like taste of heaven for pre spring getaway. We use to be able to trailer our motorcycle and do day trips as they have the extra room for parking at the back of the building but now we are told that one parking space per unit and we can't trailer our bike there as trailer accounts for 1 vehicle which would mean we would need two parking spaces yet this was perfectly fine and was never a issue when we took ownership. So we stopped bringing the bike. Also every time we go we ask for a second or third floor and always end up with a 4th or 5th floor unit and always the elevator breaks down. We also recently found out the place has little or no trade value with RCI and Interval which you have to join for a fee and then another fee to trade it. So we decided the wife and I we don't want the place anymore as its just added stress. So we have recently looked into selling to find out it has zero value. Our fees keep going up for the place plus exchange on canadian currency and we really don't want the place anymore. So we would like to know what will happen if we decide to stop paying. It doesn't do us any good keeping it other then give us stress. Its much cheaper to rent a whole home or go elsewhere then it is for our timeshare and we maybe able to bring the bike if we go elsewhere. The place is getting to be a dump and overly rundown. It bothers me to no end that they can change the rules and think we have to like it. Its not a vacation place anymore. So how do we get out of it.

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I am another Canadian with a timeshare in St Augustine Beach and we also got ours for next to nothing (in 1982) and we still love it. We have stayed at Silver Beach twice prior to its major hurricane damage and subsequent restoration a couple of years ago. We found it quite rundown but we love the location right on the Ocean. Being baseball fans we can walk to Jackie Robinson park to see a game quite easily from the resort.

Unfortunately most timeshares have little to no resale value so you can try giving it away in the ads section in this forum or one of the other 'resale' sites. You may find a happy Silver Beach owner who wants to add a week to their ownership. The alternative is, and I'm not advocating it, is to just stop paying your maintenance fees. Being Canadian they will not likely chase the debt into a foreign country due to the costs and paperwork. YMMV.

Edited to add; Whatever you do, do not pay any company any type of 'upfront fee' to sell or take your timeshare off your hands. If somebody says they'll sell it for you, tell them to take their commission/fee out of the sales proceeds.

~Diane

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village at Weston
10 or more years ago a friend of ours whom I rarely see these days gave us a timeshare for next to nothing. When we first went we thought this is like taste of heaven for pre spring getaway. We use to be able to trailer our motorcycle and do day trips as they have the extra room for parking at the back of the building but now we are told that one parking space per unit and we can't trailer our bike there as trailer accounts for 1 vehicle which would mean we would need two parking spaces yet this was perfectly fine and was never a issue when we took ownership. So we stopped bringing the bike. Also every time we go we ask for a second or third floor and always end up with a 4th or 5th floor unit and always the elevator breaks down. We also recently found out the place has little or no trade value with RCI and Interval which you have to join for a fee and then another fee to trade it. So we decided the wife and I we don't want the place anymore as its just added stress. So we have recently looked into selling to find out it has zero value. Our fees keep going up for the place plus exchange on canadian currency and we really don't want the place anymore. So we would like to know what will happen if we decide to stop paying. It doesn't do us any good keeping it other then give us stress. Its much cheaper to rent a whole home or go elsewhere then it is for our timeshare and we maybe able to bring the bike if we go elsewhere. The place is getting to be a dump and overly rundown. It bothers me to no end that they can change the rules and think we have to like it. Its not a vacation place anymore. So how do we get out of it.
Hello, fellow (French)Canadian,

i decided two years ago to get rid of my timeshares - all 3 were in Florida (SummerBay resort and Vacation Village at Weston).
First I tried to sell them, then to give them away. But I realized that even if I wanted to give them away, it still would cost me because I had to front closing costs, etc. And I was not willing to do this.
The resorts were not willing to do the deed back (taking back their timeshare) or were willing to do it only if I paid $2000...no way.
So I decided to just stop paying the maintenance fees and....nothing happened....
I am now free of all 3 timeshares...for free.
Even though they were not willing to deed back, after a few months of them calling me and me not answering their calls, Ireceived by mail the legal documents freeing me from everything (in lieu of foreclosure).
Like someone else said, it is way too expensive for them to pursue this in Canada.
And if they decide to give your file to a collection agency, American agencies are not allowed to operate in Quebec, unless they have a permit to do so.
And don’t worry, it will NOT affect your credit score either.
So no more sleepless nights - just don’t pay and don’t answer their calls!
Hope this helps

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Small correction - sorry, I do not want to assume you are a French Canadian - I am, but you may not be:)

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
For the most part, International consumer debt is very hard to pursue. If you are a Canadian there would be alot of steps that would require your cooperation to collect or report anything regarding debt in the USA or other countries, imo.

I have thought about this and decided I would walk away from my International timeshares if no one wanted them.

Bill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I should also add that if I owned timeshares in Canada, that would be a different story.
There are plenty of stories in Canadian newspapers about Canadians who are stuck with Canadian timeshares...they have the same issues as in the U.S. and very little recourse.
My luck has been that I owned in Florida, not in Canada.
My decision was not taken lightly - I am not a person who does not pay her debts
Before I decided to stop paying and stop answering calls, I did read a lot about consumer protection laws in both countries - plus I have been reading a lot on TUG, for more than a year ( but this is the first time i post - my way of giving a little back to this great site!)

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I should also add that if I owned timeshares in Canada, that would be a different story.
There are plenty of stories in Canadian newspapers about Canadians who are stuck with Canadian timeshares...they have the same issues as in the U.S. and very little recourse.
My decision was not taken lightly - I am not a person who does not pay her debts
Before I decided to stop paying and stop answering calls, I did read a lot about consumer protection laws in both countries - plus I have been reading a lot on TUG, for more than a year ( but this is the first time i post - my way of giving a little back to this great site!)
Thank you for sharing and giving back.

thompchris

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Villas, Florida Week 6 and Week 22
Thank you for sharing and giving back.

Hi Cecile,

Read your thread with interest. I too have tried to give away my two timeshares that are located in Kissimmee. They are fully paid and Westgate refuses to take them back (even with a fee.) I know that you talked about Quebec but do you know about Ontario. Would they pursue me here? Should I consult a Canadian lawyer? I've tried to find someone in Ottawa who specializes in timeshare issues, but can't one.

Thanks for sharing

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Cecile,

Read your thread with interest. I too have tried to give away my two timeshares that are located in Kissimmee. They are fully paid and Westgate refuses to take them back (even with a fee.) I know that you talked about Quebec but do you know about Ontario. Would they pursue me here? Should I consult a Canadian lawyer? I've tried to find someone in Ottawa who specializes in timeshare issues, but can't one.

Thanks for sharing

Have you tried posting on the TUG Marketplace "Bargain Section" ? You can post there and give them away and you won't need to consult any lawyer should you find a taker.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Hi Cecile,

Thanks for sharing
Zero out of eight tuggers defaulting on FL timeshares got reported to the Canadian credit companies. If defaulting FL TS owners do not object to a non-judicial foreclosure, they won’t be sued for the balance. If you choose to default, please kindly DM me the results. It would help tuggers moving forward.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
Have you tried posting on the TUG Marketplace "Bargain Section" ?
@thompchris , please try to give them away in the bargain section first. There are lots of people looking to ad TS properties to their portfolio for a variety of reasons. If you are up to date on everything, give it a try for a month or two. Even though they no longer have value for you, they may just be the right property and weeks that someone else is looking for. If they don’t get taken, you can simply start ignoring the resort once the new MF cycle kicks in.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Cecile,

Thanks for sharing
Hi Grammarhero,
I don't think that they would pursue in Ontario either. Even though the law systems are different in our two provinces, it would still be too costly for them to pursue. They would have to hire firms or lawyers licensed to operate in Ontario and it is just not worth it for them (it would cost them thousands of dollars), if it is only to get overdue maintenance fees. If you have a loan, that might be a different story, but even then it would have to be quite a big amount to be worth pursuing...
For sure, You will get calls from collection agencies but those who called me were not licensed to operate and collect in Canada (and they knew it). At some point, I asked the person who was calling if she was licensed to make calls in Canada and she just hung up! After that, I did not even bother answering their calls.
Hope this helps
Cecile

JohnDau

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Palm Florida

Hello Cecile,
I am also in a similar situation. I was wondering if you are going back to USA sometimes, Vermont, New York or Maines and had any trouble at the border?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Cecile,
I am also in a similar situation. I was wondering if you are going back to USA sometimes, Vermont, New York or Maines and had any trouble at the border?

You certainly would if a warrant were issued for your arrest....

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hello Cecile,
hi JohnDau,
i regularly go to the US (well...not in times of pandemics though) - love the country and I even had some already booked timeshare that I was able to use without any problem ,, even after I defaulted on maintenance fees.
It is absolutely NOT true that you could get arrested at the border. This is a ludicrous lie that collection agencies use to scare non US residents (probably because they know they can’t do a thing)
Timeshare companies dont have non payers arrested! They don’t do this for Americans and they will certainly not do this for anyone else...

JohnDau

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Palm Florida
hi JohnDau,
i regularly go to the US (well...not in times of pandemics though) - love the country and I even had some already booked timeshare that I was able to use without any problem ,, even after I defaulted on maintenance fees.
It is absolutely NOT true that you could get arrested at the border. This is a ludicrous lie that collection agencies use to scare non US residents (probably because they know they can’t do a thing)
Timeshare companies dont have non payers arrested! They don’t do this for Americans and they will certainly not do this for anyone else...

Merci, c'est très gentil de répondre aux questions des gens.

Reaction score
Received an IRS 1042-s foreign persons income in my ex’s name. Wtf! What income? Been ignoring them for 1 1/2 years. Now what? Anything to worry about?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Received an IRS 1042-s foreign persons income in my ex’s name. Wtf! What income? Been ignoring them for 1 1/2 years. Now what? Anything to worry about?
If they forgave debt, it may be considered income. Also sounds like it is your ex's problem and not so much yours.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

If you file taxes in the USA you would report this on your income tax to the IRS. If you file taxes in Canada I doubt that you would report this to the CRA.

Bill

Suselle

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I’m just following up on this thread to see if there are any updates. Are any of you fellow Canadians still around on this forum? Any long-term fallout?
I’m apparently a new owner as It looks like Wyndham is not going to honour my rescind request. (I sent the rescind letter to the address of the seller as listed on my contract, not the secret address hidden on page 10 inside. Slimy crooks!). I’m gathering info and weighing my options. I really don’t want nor can afford this timeshare. Being Canadian, with no financial ties in the US, one option is to just go home to Ontario and hope for the best… or will they chase that rather large, disputed loan across the border?