• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are you growing and cooking?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
GROWING: It's Tomato Thursday! These are mostly Romas, which I will allow to completely ripen a few days on the counter and then dice them for the freezer. There are also some Early Girls on the bottom, and we will keep the best of them for fresh eating. The yellow pear cherry tomatoes are destined for snacking and salads. One nice thing about using the net bags over the tomatoes is that the skin comes out with no blemishes. I'm happy to say that we seemed to have arrested the calcium deficiency, too.

Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 10.12.29 PM.png

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
It is cool and a little breezy here at 5,000 feet on our patio in Reno, so I'm working outside this morning. * I was just eating a blueberry muffin out on the patio, and when I stepped inside for a moment, our resident blue jay helped himself to it!

GROWING: It's supposed to be 113º at home in Northern, CA this week, but I have my automatic sprinklers set on the raised beds, my shade cloth up, and my fingers crossed!

COOKING: Last night we had Mexican Lasagna, and a garden salad, with Apple Cherry Crumble, for dinner.

Mexican Lasagna

Ingredients

1 pound lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (14 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice (I used Rotel w/peppers & onions)
10 (6 inch) corn tortillas
1 cup prepared salsa
½ cup shredded Colby cheese (I used 1+ cups of cheese, and did 2 layers)
(I added a layer of my seasoned homemade refried beans)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef, and stir in the taco seasoning and tomatoes. Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with half the tortillas. Spoon the beef mixture into the dish, then top with the remaining tortillas. Spread salsa over the tortillas and sprinkle with the cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 9.39.29 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 10.02.05 AM.png

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Here's an update on my Greenstalk. Everything is growing well. We couldn't find any Strawberry starters so I will have to keep looking. Looks like one will pull through and maybe two.

Peppers are behind the Tomatoes but they were smaller to start with. I planted some Basil and Lettuce on Saturday so we'll see how those work out.

I cut up some Chicken Thighs and have them marinating in Teriyaki Sauce. We are just going to fry those and have them over Rice with Onions and Peas. Easy Peasy.

20240701_100746.jpg
20240701_100712.jpg
20240701_100722.jpg
20240701_100732.jpg
20240701_100800.jpg
20240701_100812.jpg

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WOW! Your plants are ginormous!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
WOW! Your plants are ginormous!
Yes, I'm really happy I invested in the plant supports. I have over 30 Tomatoes on that top plant.

I still have to cut back that Sage too.😀

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Besides missing my husband now so much - still can't wrap my head around it. Coming on three months and still cannot believe he is not here and won't be coming back. This is not for this post :(.

I will miss the vegetables he grew in our small back yard - some in soil and some in pots. Eggplants, peppers, basil, different tomatoes, Italian squash, zucchini, cucumbers, etc. I might attempt to grow some next year. Will have to search when to "plant".

Your vegetables are looking wonderful.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I never try to grow from seed, but I do get small plant starts from our farmer's market and plant in pots on our porch. I've got a huge pot of orange mint at the base of the porch stairs--fully exposed to the elements--that I planted about two year ago and had been doing well early in the season. But it's been so dry here, and ungodly hot, that's it's starting to brown and die back. But my two pepper plants (banana and shishito,) and my rosemary (which didn't make it through the winter this year,) are still doing okay with periodic watering. My basil plants (Thai and what should have been Italian, but seems to be lemon basil instead,) seemed to be goners earlier in the season, but have recovered (esp. the Thai basil.) We'll see if they make in through the summer....

I stopped trying to grow tomatoes in the pots, because the squirrels here are a-holes and would take one bite and then drop them on the porch. Usually while looking at me through our glass front door. They don't seem to molest the peppers, so now I just rely on the tomatoes from our CSA.

Brett

Reaction score
I never try to grow from seed, but I do get small plant starts from our farmer's market and plant in pots on our porch. I've got a huge pot of orange mint at the base of the porch stairs--fully exposed to the elements--that I planted about two year ago and had been doing well early in the season. But it's been so dry here, and ungodly hot, that's it's starting to brown and die back. But my two pepper plants (banana and shishito,) and my rosemary (which didn't make it through the winter this year,) are still doing okay with periodic watering. My basil plants (Thai and what should have been Italian, but seems to be lemon basil instead,) seemed to be goners earlier in the season, but have recovered (esp. the Thai basil.) We'll see if they make in through the summer....

I stopped trying to grow tomatoes in the pots, because the squirrels here are a-holes and would take one bite and then drop them on the porch. Usually while looking at me through our glass front door. They don't seem to molest the peppers, so now I just rely on the tomatoes from our CSA.

I've also got squirrel problems, netting around the cages helps.

53826136571_95f7a1c976_c.jpg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We're still as our home in Reno, where it is considerably cooler than northern CA! We have nice neighbors here, but one of them is an animal lover and she is feeding the PIGEONS! Now, her pigeons want to hang around our house too, which is so annoying! So we hired some security, and now we have a hawk or an owl on duty at all times. With our security force on the job, the pigeons do not land in our yard any more. Here's a picture of the hawk on duty and the owls taking a break. The blue jays and smaller birds (which we like) are smarter than the pigeons and are not fazed by our plastic security force.

Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 10.02.05 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 10.06.03 AM.png

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
We start everything from seeds. Some survive some don’t all come up, but few things fail completely. So far doing well: winter squash, pumpkin, cabbage, leeks, carrots, romaine lettuce, potatoes, onions, garlic, peas. Tomatoes look hopeful. Heirloom “dent” corn from the 1700s that we brought home from Colonial Williamsburg a few weeks ago is doing well. We were overwhelmed with strawberries this year. Had decent black currants. The black raspberries are ripening now. Looks like another super productive year for our apple trees too. I think the grapes are going okay. I need to check for Japanese beetles. Ugh. Our elderberries are flowering currently. It’s been hotter than normal here in Western NY but the garden seems to like the mid 80s heat, and we haven’t watered anything since we’ve been getting consistent rain. The only issue is the weeds. They’re growing like . . . weeds. lol. Should have laid more weed cloth!

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kim's Anthurium's are looking great too. We got the flag from Molokai Pizza when we ordered the July 4th Special. The flag took up resistance in her flower pot.😀

20240706_095310.jpg
20240706_095302.jpg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Owl on duty today - Mr. Blue Jay not impressed:

Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 9.01.12 AM.png

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But a squirrel chirped at the owl for 5 min! Doesn't like it at all!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Time for a Fresh Molokai Smoothie today.🤙🏻

Fresh Molokai Papayas, Fresh Molokai Bananas from WaveCrest, Fresh Molokai Ilikoi and the Best Molokai Honey. Awesome stuff!!

20240707_101543.jpg
20240707_102458.jpg
20240707_103343.jpg
20240707_103700.jpg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
YUMMM! But it needs some rum! :LOL:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We're back in "sunny" Northern CA, after 2 weeks in cooler Reno. Right now it's a cozy 106º at 6:15 pm, and it's supposed to be 112º tomorrow. I was really worried about my garden plants, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that nothing died, and most things grew like crazy. I have a lot of tomatoes and squash to harvest, but I'm going to get up real early tomorrow and beat the heat. I was the most concerned about my tomatoes in pots, but they are fine and the Early Girls are about 7 feet tall now! They are on the far end in this pictures:

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 6.15.19 PM.png

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We're back in "sunny" Northern CA, after 2 weeks in cooler Reno. Right now it's a cozy 106º at 6:15 pm, and it's supposed to be 112º tomorrow. I was really worried about my garden plants, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that nothing died, and most things grew like crazy. I have a lot of tomatoes and squash to harvest, but I'm going to get up real early tomorrow and beat the heat. I was the most concerned about my tomatoes in pots, but they are fine and the Early Girls are about 7 feet tall now! They are on the far end in this pictures:

View attachment 96082
Looks great and those are huge!! You can keep that heat though.

I made Tacos tonight and I was able to cut up some Cherry Tomatoes for them.
🤙🏻

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I got out in the garden at 6 am this morning to beat the heat and picked a lot of tomatoes and overgrown squash! The yellow squash are supposed to be the smooth skinned yellow crookneck squash (according to the tag) but they are either a different variety, or the original start was crossed with a gourd - I don't have any gourds. Has anyone ever grown these?

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 9.44.46 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 9.44.29 AM.png

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cooking this week: Homemade - BBQ style ham and beans, potato salad, green salad*, grilled pork chops, grilled chicken thighs, grilled turkey cheese burgers, and fresh steams broccoli. *Made from our homegrown lettuce, marinated cubed raw zucchini, tomatoes, and wax peppers. NOT using the oven when it's 110+!

Growing: Today the Strawberry planter (Green Stalk) moved to it's 3rd home, and I think it will stay there until next spring. With our crazy 110º+ temps lately, it was just getting fried out in the sun, and it hasn't had any blooms for a month. I've given up on getting more strawberries, and now I'm just trying to maintain healthy plants for next season. We moved it to a shady covered patio off our dining room, and it only gets sun until about 11 am. There is often a nice breeze flowing through this patio, too. After our 2 week trip to Reno, I came home and found the strawberries covered with runners - some plants had as many as 6 runners! So I trimmed most of the runners off, and stuck 1 or 2 into each pocket, to grow some more plants. Even though I ordered "ever bearing strawberries," I'm convinced that they sent me "June bearing," and since I was cutting the blossoms off for most of June, as recommended for new starts, I got fewer than 10 strawberries - disappointing! They strawberries can winter-over tucked into the corner of this patio, since we seldom get freezing temps. Hopefully, they will be more successful next spring.

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 1.46.39 PM.png

Last edited: