• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are you growing and cooking?

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year, the garden lizards developed a taste for my tomatoes and as soon as one would get ripe they would chew on it. This year I am putting fruit bags around the tomatoes to see if this protects them from the lizards and worms. This is probably too much effort if you have a full-size garden, but I just have 6 big tomato bushes in pots, so it's doable for me. This Early Girl bush has 17 bags on it with 1-4 tomatoes in each bag:
Where did you get the garden bags , amazon or ??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
It was 97º today (it's 97º right now at 6:23 pm) - first hot day of the year! I got up early and watered everything real well, put some mulch under the tomatoes and transplanted some lettuce into a cooler spot. I also pitted and froze the cherries I picked a few days ago, and now my hands look like I murdered someone! I used a metal straw to pit the cherries and that was fast and easy. The cherries will go into an apple-cherry oatmeal-crust crumble next week for Rod. Since he had open heart surgery, I'm trying to make him healthier desserts so he will stay away from the junky stuff. He has a sweet tooth!

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had a beautiful visitor to the garden this morning, & everything seems to have recovered from the hot day yesterday. However, the high is supposed to be 104º today, so it's going to be another scorcher! For these extra hot days, I have a shade cloth attached to a frame above my hottest raised bed, which I can unfurl and tie down during the hottest part of the day.

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 8.10.42 AM.png

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Growing: Today's high is only 89º (more than 10 degrees cooler than the last several days) so I fertilized my larger raised bed and pinched back the peppers in the hope that they will get bushier and we will have a larger crop. I also tied up the cucumbers to the trellis. I also found the big cabbage looper that has been terrorizing my lettuce and he went to recycling can heaven!

Cooking: I made this for dinner and it was a big hit:

Instant Pot Honey Lime Salsa Verde Chicken

Ingredients

• 2 pounds chicken tenders, frozen or fresh [I used 3 lb. boneless/skinless chicken thighs]
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
• 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
[I substituted 3 T. of my homemade low-salt taco seasoning for the 8 seasonings above]
• 1 cup mild salsa verde [I used a 10 oz. can of med. heat green enchilada sauce]
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1/2 cup fresh lime juice [lemon juice]

Instructions
1 Add the chicken and oil into the Instant Pot. Stir to coat the chicken in the oil. Then add in the chili powder, kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin and black pepper. Toss to coat the chicken in the seasonings.
2 Pour the lime juice into the pot and stir. Dump the salsa verde and honey on top of the chicken.
3 Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. [I did a natural release]
4 Use tongs to place the chicken on a platter. Then turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting and let the juices boil and reduce down for 10 minutes. You don’t need to stir. Turn off the Instant Pot and then stir the chicken back into the pot and coat the chicken with the juices. [I shredded the chicken for tacos and then put it back in the reduced sauce.]

Served with flour tortillas, homemade saucy refried *beans, Mexican rice, and green salad.

*Since it is so fast and easy to cook beans in an instant pot, I have stopped buying canned beans. I like to cook up a big pot full and freeze them in 2 cup portions to use in place of canned beans: healthier, tastier and a lot cheaper! I've also found that cooking beans thoroughly in the IP makes them easier to digest and therefore, less gassy to eat!

Last edited:

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Growing: Today's high is only 89º (more than 10 degrees cooler than the last several days) so I fertilized my larger raised bed and pinched back the peppers in the hope that they will get bushier and we will have a larger crop. I also tied up the cucumbers to the trellis. I also found the big cabbage looper that has been terrorizing my lettuce and he went to recycling can heaven!

Cooking: I made this for dinner and it was a big hit:

Instant Pot Honey Lime Salsa Verde Chicken

Ingredients

• 2 pounds chicken tenders, frozen or fresh [I used 3 lb. boneless/skinless chicken thighs]
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
• 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
[I substituted 3 T. of my homemade low-salt taco seasoning for the 8 seasonings above]
• 1 cup mild salsa verde [I used a 10 oz. can of med. heat green enchilada sauce]
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1/2 cup fresh lime juice [lemon juice]

Instructions
1 Add the chicken and oil into the Instant Pot. Stir to coat the chicken in the oil. Then add in the chili powder, kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin and black pepper. Toss to coat the chicken in the seasonings.
2 Pour the lime juice into the pot and stir. Dump the salsa verde and honey on top of the chicken.
3 Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. [I did a natural release]
4 Use tongs to place the chicken on a platter. Then turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting and let the juices boil and reduce down for 10 minutes. You don’t need to stir. Turn off the Instant Pot and then stir the chicken back into the pot and coat the chicken with the juices. [I shredded the chicken for tacos and then put it back in the reduced sauce.]

Served with flour tortillas, homemade saucy refried *beans, Mexican rice, and green salad.

*Since it is so fast and easy to cook beans in an instant pot, I have stopped buying canned beans. I like to cook up a big pot full and freeze them in 2 cup portions to use in place of canned beans: healthier, tastier and a lot cheaper! I've also found that cooking beans thoroughly in the IP makes them easier to digest and therefore, less gassy to eat!
Hi Denise,
Did you use frozen or fresh boneless chicken thighs?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The recipe said you could use either frozen or fresh, but I thawed them out in the fridge over night. Since the cooking time was only 4 min. I let them stay in the pot for the full natural release time to make sure they were good and done, and soft enough to shred for tacos.

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
The recipe said you could use either frozen or fresh, but I thawed them out in the fridge over night. Since the cooking time was only 4 min. I let them stay in the pot for the full natural release time to make sure they were good and done, and soft enough to shred for tacos.
Thanks - I thought that but wanted to make sure. I've never used our Instant Pot.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I used the Instant Pot for everything like stew, beans, many casseroles, hard boiled eggs, roasts, batches of chicken to shred and put in the freezer for casseroles, etc. I love it!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have a mango tree, lemon tree, banana tree and a small field of pineapples. The only thing growing is one pineapple. By now we would have 100's of mangoes, not one has grown. It looks like it will skip this year due to the excessive hot weather that came early on this year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Growing: The strawberries still aren't blooming - I think it's too hot. :( Tonight, when it's cooler I'm going to spray a Neem oil solution for white fly & powdery mildew, and a BT solution for cabbage loopers.

Cooking: It was supposed to be cooler today so I made ham and beans, cornbread muffins, and 2 cherry-apple crumbles (1 for the freezer.) Now, Rod really shouldn't be eating ham on a low-salt diet, (but he insisted) so I eliminated the rest of the salt from the recipe, and diced the ham up small, so a small amount would seem like a lot of ham. Giving in and making the beans was the lesser of 2 evils, because Rod can't cook (although he thinks he can) and lord knows what he would have come up with on his own. Then he announced that he was also going to have ham on his sandwiches this week, but I expected that and told him that I already put the rest of the ham in the freezer (which I had.) :LOL:

I also took the leftover Instant Pot Honey Lime Salsa Verde Chicken and used it to make enchiladas, which I put in the freezer.

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 6.27.37 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 6.27.57 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 6.27.48 PM.png

Last edited:

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used the Instant Pot for everything like stew, beans, many casseroles, hard boiled eggs, roasts, batches of chicken to shred and put in the freezer for casseroles, etc. I love it!
I made the recipe you posted for the Instant Pot Honey Lime Salsa Verde Chicken. It was good but mine had too much liquid as I only had about 2 1/2 lbs. of chicken. Next time I'll decrease the sauce or use more chicken. Maybe I was a little nervous as that was the first time I used the Instant Pot, but I'm not sold on it just yet. By the time it comes to pressure, releases pressure, etc. it seems like I could have baked the chicken in the oven. I'll try using it again and see if I if like it. I will admit, it was easy to use.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Awesome to see what everybody is growing and cooking! We just finished construction of our house this winter so it’s our first season growing here. We built a raised planter that spans the entire length of our house and are growing blueberries, strawberries, figs, raspberries, rhubarb, peaches, apples, pears, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, bay leaves, garlic, lovage, and tea. Bit of a crapshoot the first year but things are coming along nicely.

IMG_5348.jpeg

IMG_5349.jpeg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I made the recipe you posted for the Instant Pot Honey Lime Salsa Verde Chicken. It was good but mine had too much liquid as I only had about 2 1/2 lbs. of chicken. Next time I'll decrease the sauce or use more chicken. Maybe I was a little nervous as that was the first time I used the Instant Pot, but I'm not sold on it just yet. By the time it comes to pressure, releases pressure, etc. it seems like I could have baked the chicken in the oven. I'll try using it again and see if I if like it. I will admit, it was easy to use.
Good job! It will get easier once you become accustom to the controls + it doesn't heat your kitchen up in the summer like the oven does.

Question: After you removed the chicken, did you push the Saute button and let the liquid boil 10 min. to reduce the sauce? It does make a lot of sauce, which would be perfect over rice or noodles.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good job! It will get easier once you become accustom to the controls + it doesn't heat your kitchen up in the summer like the oven does.

Question: After you removed the chicken, did you push the Saute button and let the liquid boil 10 min. to reduce the sauce? It does make a lot of sauce, which would be perfect over rice or noodles.
Yes, I did push the saute button. My husband said this would be good over rice.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've been hit with blossom end rot, which is caused by a lack of calcium in the soil.

Clarification: my tomatoes have blossom end rot - NOT ME! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

A youtube gardener recommended a solution of Tums (calcium carbonate) and water to deliver calcium to the plant quickly. I'm going to try it right now!

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 4.36.40 PM.png

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been putting in crushed up egg shells into my little garden patch

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is what I did:
1. I dissolved 9 (off-brand) Tums in tall glasses of water - 1 glass/9 Tums for each tomato.
2. After the the Tums were dissolved, I poured the water/Tums solution from 1 glass into a 1/2 gallon pitcher, filled it with tap water, and stirred well
3. I then watered one tomato with the 1/2 gallon solution and then repeated with the other pots. In other words, I used 9 Tums in solution for each pot.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tia - Eggs shells are a great source of calcium, that's a great idea, and I'm going to start doing it. Do allow the shells to dry before you use them?

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tia - Eggs shells are a great source of calcium, that's a great idea, and I'm going to start doing it. Do allow the shells to dry before you use them?
Yes I do leave them sit on a paper plate for a little while before crunching them up.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My first tomatoes of the year!

Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 10.32.23 AM.png

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd LOVE to see pictures of you new house! Fabulous location!

I thought fulfilling your request would be easy but it turns out most of my pics of our house are of plumbing in the slab or unfinished trim. :ROFLMAO: Hopefully not hijacking the gardening thread but here are a few shots.

IMG_5369.jpeg

IMG_2209.jpeg

IMG_2211.jpeg

IMG_5362.jpeg

IMG_5364.jpeg

IMG_5365.jpeg

IMG_5352.jpeg

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I'm growing my waitline and cooking nothing. Does that count.

Serious, living alone has made eating out less work than cooking. Given the size of portions in a lot of places I get 2 meals out of 1 purchase. I just had lunch out of my half eaten Chipotle Bowl that was last night's dinner.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tia

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Chrispee - Your new home and the location are GORGEOUS!!!!