• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are you cooking?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Have you tried no-knead bread? It make a beautiful rustic loaf.

I have not. I don't have a Dutch Oven, either. I am still trying to get yeast (the yeast the neighbor gave me is expired but I am still using it- just a couple of packets). I also cannot find bread flour. This is so crazy. Making me anxious at just the thought of not being able to get basic things. Don't even ask me about the toilet paper. LOL!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have not. I don't have a Dutch Oven, either. I am still trying to get yeast (the yeast the neighbor gave me is expired but I am still using it- just a couple of packets). I also cannot find bread flour. This is so crazy. Making me anxious at just the thought of not being able to get basic things. Don't even ask me about the toilet paper. LOL!
I saw an food chain interview weeks ago that said you will be able to get food but not necessarily what you are accustomed to.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)

You might consider trying making a sourdough starter.

A neighbor here gave me a few packets of yeast she was keeping in her fridge since I have not been able to get any. I will keep it at room temperature for when I know I am ready to bake bread, which should be this weekend.

I just ordered whole wheat bread flour, cornmeal and moose mush hot cereal, oatmeal and bran muffin/raisin mix and spider corn cake mix from Littleton Grist Mill up in the north country. They make it as they get the orders in and I should be getting it tomorrow- super fast.

So this weekend I am going to take out the bread machine and relearn what I used to do years ago. Wish me luck.
Here is how to test your suspected yeast and some ideas on substitutes.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Just made beef stew with mushrooms, carrots and potatoes in the instant pot! :p On Wednesday, Kroger lottery scored some nice buns about half again as big as a big hamburger bun.

Yum!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Made corned beef in the smoker(didn't get any on St. Patrick's day, restaurant ran out, same day our state shut down restaurants and bars) didn't have any cabbage, so substituted brussel sprouts.

Turned out really good if I do say so myself.
b97749e780e323b683ae87a297144316.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It’s the weekend so I am helping some local businesses by getting takeout. Zippy’s today and we’ll see about tomorrow.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went out to grill for the first time since last fall, and found a HUGE nest from some kind of creature in the grill. Thank God I did not see the creature. The best takes up 3/4 of the surface area. And it is on the “flavor bars” under the grill racks. I am so sad. It is a 20-year old grill, but it was expensive. I just don’t know that I can clean it well enough to ever be comfortable cooking our food on it again. Ugh!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Made Tri tip roast in the InstaPot for tomorrow’s dinner. Have to brace Costco to get our weekly supplies.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Rotisserie chicken in the slow cooker last night. It was from a batch we raised and had in the freezer. Came out so good we ordered 50 chicks from the same hatchery to raise for this spring. Slow growing kind of chicken instead of the typical factory farmed ones.

Chicken noodle soup tonight.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Went out to grill for the first time since last fall, and found a HUGE nest from some kind of creature in the grill. Thank God I did not see the creature. The best takes up 3/4 of the surface area. And it is on the “flavor bars” under the grill racks. I am so sad. It is a 20-year old grill, but it was expensive. I just don’t know that I can clean it well enough to ever be comfortable cooking our food on it again. Ugh!

Our grill has a fabric cover over it. On the rare occasions our Mocha wants to take a tour of the yard, she sits under there once she is finished and she waits until she hears someone open the back door so she can race back inside. I'm surprised she hangs out there because we regularly find that something has been under it eating oranges and other things from the garden -- we suspect possums.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always been the grill/bbq person at home. We had a nice built-in grill in our former California home. One time I opened up the cabinet below the grill and found lots of 2-inch frogs inside. There was a direct opening between the grill and the cabinet below. That was the last time I used the grill.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A neighbor here gave me a few packets of yeast she was keeping in her fridge since I have not been able to get any. I will keep it at room temperature for when I know I am ready to bake bread, which should be this weekend.

I just ordered whole wheat bread flour, cornmeal and moose mush hot cereal, oatmeal and bran muffin/raisin mix and spider corn cake mix from Littleton Grist Mill up in the north country. They make it as they get the orders in and I should be getting it tomorrow- super fast.

So this weekend I am going to take out the bread machine and relearn what I used to do years ago. Wish me luck.
a
A neighbor. How wonderful for you!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
a
A neighbor. How wonderful for you!

Yes! I am grateful we have neighbors! Such a treat for us! We have volunteered to occasionally check on an elderly couple here and happy to do it. And the thankful when we take a walk there are people outside we can at least talk to from a distance! And we have use of the community Facebook page and website.

Very important at this stage of life. One woman mentioned a card game group once things get back to normal. I’m game for all of it!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Speaking of grilling. I hit it on a cold and dreary night. Pork Chops with home made root beer BBQ sauce, peppers, asparagus, and zucchini. All grilled. I added a slaw craisin strawberry salad that is not pictured.
IMG_20200329_191850.jpg

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Speaking of grilling. I hit it on a cold and dreary night. Pork Chops with home made root beer BBQ sauce, peppers, asparagus, and zucchini. All grilled. I added a slaw craisin strawberry salad that is not pictured.View attachment 18384
With social distancing, I cannot self invite myself over, but if you could pack and ship over some, it will be much appreciated and enjoyed! :LOL:

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very important at this stage of life. One woman mentioned a card game group once things get back to normal. I’m game for all of it!

We just discovered the app “Trickster Cards” for playing cards remotely with family. Or you can play from their website. We have all ages from 12 - 82 playing with our extended family. And there is the option of using audio and video too. Highly recommend during these distancing times.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My husband made the skinnytaste chili again on Saturday and we had leftovers last night. It is just sooo good. I think that the unexpected ingredient, Corona beer, is what gives it such a tasty flavor. We don't drink Corona (we are a craft beer house) but we usually have some in the outdoor fridge for guests. So it's been a great way to use it up - because I can't see us having guests over for awhile. Here is the recipe: https://www.skinnytaste.com/quick-beef-chili-recipe/
We use kidney beans instead of black beans, and I have always added chopped celery to my chili, but otherwise we follow this recipe. Btw, we make this on the stovetop. I love my instant pot but I have no idea why you would go to the trouble of using it for this recipe. I don't think that it would save much time at all. I use a big dutch oven.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband made the skinnytaste chili again on Saturday and we had leftovers last night. It is just sooo good. I think that the unexpected ingredient, Corona beer, is what gives it such a tasty flavor. We don't drink Corona (we are a craft beer house) but we usually have some in the outdoor fridge for guests. So it's been a great way to use it up - because I can't see us having guests over for awhile. Here is the recipe: https://www.skinnytaste.com/quick-beef-chili-recipe/
We use kidney beans instead of black beans, and I have always added chopped celery to my chili, but otherwise we follow this recipe. Btw, we make this on the stovetop. I love my instant pot but I have no idea why you would go to the trouble of using it for this recipe. I don't think that it would save much time at all. I use a big dutch oven.
Corona dinner party. ;)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Oh wow! Great food you all are making! In our household, we’ve had chicken quesadillas, homemade spaghetti, homemade lasagna (with the leftover spaghetti sauce), corned beef and others. Yesterday, I made a batch of pickled red onions and pickled lime jalapeños. Looking forward to trying those today!

A new thread should be made - What are you drinking! We bought a 1.75 L bottle of Kirkland Spiced Rum and it’s pretty good! Made daiquiris with them and the added spice over Captain Morgan is tasty. Also, been Kewanaw Brewery’s Black Widow Dark Ale. Nice sweetness over a regular black ale, but not too overpowering.

Mind you, we don’t drink a lot, but do enjoy an adult beverage every once and awhile.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Definitely what we've been calling it. The irony!

There is a good instapot recipe using beer to cook beans, I use it all the time because its so quick, no soaking time. Frijoles Borrachos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro