• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin vistana membership

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you buy Kierland you will have to pay the club fee, but that gets you an II membership. If you buy the 2 bedroom then the Larger Premium is worth 81000 options and the smaller gets 67100 options. You can deposit either or both units into II and then look for an exchange to a marriott resort

Krrishv

Reaction score
if you buy Kierland you will have to pay the club fee, but that gets you an II membership. If you buy the 2 bedroom then the Larger Premium is worth 81000 options and the smaller gets 67100 options. You can deposit either or both units into II and then look for an exchange to a marriott resort
81k in kierland gets 1 bedroom premium. But If I want to go to Hawaii in VISTANA properties I could still get 1 bed premium but not ocean front. So I am kind of checking all the star options chart. I am also checking one of the listing for Westin Kaanapali which is also mandatory resort, I see 148100 points 2 bed platinum listing price as $5k with maintenance of $3420. Trading interval international. Is this a valid one.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
It may be legit, but it has two problems.

First, it is almost certainly Island View. Island View at WKORV can mean a parking lot view (note: this is not an issue at WKORVN). Second, the maintenance fees are among the highest in the Vistana system. If you intend to trade, it is an unnecessary expense.

Krrishv

Reaction score
It may be legit, but it has two problems.

First, it is almost certainly Island View. Island View at WKORV can mean a parking lot view (note: this is not an issue at WKORVN). Second, the maintenance fees are among the highest in the Vistana system. If you intend to trade, it is an unnecessary expense.
Sounds like with all means, Kierland is ultimate value for money. Can some one tell me why I don't see how much starpoints with this redweek ad. https://www.redweek.com/posting/R12...3Z*MTcyODk2NDcyOS4xLjAuMTcyODk2NDczMi4wLjAuMA..

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
If a seller doesn't pay for full service, redweek restricts the details that the seller can post. If you pay the $18 to join redweek, you can send the seller a message for the details. It is a way to push people into paying redweek for the full service product.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Sounds like with all means, Kierland is ultimate value for money. Can some one tell me why I don't see how much starpoints with this redweek ad. https://www.redweek.com/posting/R12...3Z*MTcyODk2NDcyOS4xLjAuMTcyODk2NDczMi4wLjAuMA..
StarOptions, not StarPoints. StarOptions are the "currency" for Vistana timeshares. StarPoints were the currency for Starwood hotels, an entity which no longer exists (Starwood owned the Westin and Sheraton hotel brands; it was acquired by Marriott; the current hotel currency is Bonvoy points).

Why doesn't the ad state the number of StarOptions? Incompetence by the draftsman. The likely answer is 148100 based on the asking price and the MF's. But before buying, you would have Marriott verify that with an estoppel during the escrow process (when you are ready to buy; I don't think you are yet).

Last edited:

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I referenced ad clearly states "148.1K StarOptions" in the description.
Oh, my. The descriptive text now varies depending on whether you are signed in as a Redweek member or as a non-paying guest.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Oh, my. The descriptive text now varies depending on whether you are signed in as a Redweek member or as a non-paying guest.
Interesting. Confirmed that I viewed as a Redweek member and it had the 148.1K detail. I logged out and viewed it again and the detailed description is not seen. The following is in the Ad description:

Annual PLATINUM PLUS (weeks 1-21 and 50-52) 2BR Lockoff Unit worth 148.1k StarOptions.
Mandatory deeded ownership and club use can be used to trade into other great Vistana/Westin/Sheraton resorts including Hawaii, Colorado, Florida, Bahamas, Mexico. Usage and maintenance fees start in 2025. Buyer will pay for closing costs and must use a reputable closing company. I highly recommend LT Transfers which has a great reputation and is fast and efficient. Closing costs of ~$600.
I have a few of these available for sale. Email direct: txtravel@gmail.com

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I seem to recall that the ad descriptions were limited if you weren't a member or were not signed in.

Krrishv

Reaction score
StarOptions, not StarPoints. StarOptions are the "currency" for Vistana timeshares. StarPoints were the currency for Starwood hotels, an entity which no longer exists (Starwood owned the Westin and Sheraton hotel brands; it was acquired by Marriott; the current hotel currency is Bonvoy points).

Why doesn't the ad state the number of StarOptions? Incompetence by the draftsman. The likely answer is 148100 based on the asking price and the MF's. But before buying, you would have Marriott verify that with an estoppel during the escrow process (when you are ready to buy; I don't think you are yet).
So during closing should we call Marriott verify the account number, star options + season.. is that what you mean?

Krrishv

Reaction score

So during closing should we call Marriott verify the account numberstar options + season.. is that what you mean?
Interesting. Confirmed that I viewed as a Redweek member and it had the 148.1K detail. I logged out and viewed it again and the detailed description is not seen. The following is in the Ad description:

Annual PLATINUM PLUS (weeks 1-21 and 50-52) 2BR Lockoff Unit worth 148.1k StarOptions.
Mandatory deeded ownership and club use can be used to trade into other great Vistana/Westin/Sheraton resorts including Hawaii, Colorado, Florida, Bahamas, Mexico. Usage and maintenance fees start in 2025. Buyer will pay for closing costs and must use a reputable closing company. I highly recommend LT Transfers which has a great reputation and is fast and efficient. Closing costs of ~$600.
I have a few of these available for sale. Email direct: txtravel@gmail.com
thank you. Appreciate it.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
So during closing should we call Marriott verify the account number, star options + season.. is that what you mean?
Which ever closing company that you use should take care of that.

Last edited:

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
you will want the seller to make a reservation for you for 2025 since it can take upto 6months to complete the transfer

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Marriott usually won't offer this information up to a non owner. During closing, the closing company should obtain an estoppel from Marriott Vacations. You should ask to see it.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Marriott usually won't offer this information up to a non owner. During closing, the closing company should obtain an estoppel from Marriott Vacations. You should ask to see it.
+1

It will cost you $75 and is absolutely worth it; this is how you verify that the unit is as advertised (size, season, # StarOptions, annual vs eoy, whether MF's are current).

Your escrow agent will get it for you. I would never fund an escrow without seeing it.

Bill4728

Reaction score
The only thing that I didn't see here that is an absolute must is to make sure that you buy a mandatory resort. Most Westin /Sheraton resorts are not mandatory.

Here is a list of the mandatory resorts:

Please note that there are sections of some of the resort which are mandatory and other sections that are not.

(Staroptions for a 2bd in platinum season.)

Westin St Johns WSJ: Hillside - Staroptions - 148,100

Harborside Atlantis - Staroptions - 148,100

Maui -WKORV-N - Staroptions - 148,100

Maui -WKORV: - Staroptions - 148,100

Disney World - Orlando SVV: Bella - Staroptions - 95,700

Disney World - Orlando SVV: Key West - Staroptions - 95,700

AZ Scottsdale WKV: - Staroptions - 148,100

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
not sure that those are the best values at SVV
They aren't. The 1BR 44K units are the best (rare on resale) and the 2BR 81,000 are good too. As far as I know, there are no 3BR units in Bella. So, there is no 95,700 StarOptions available to purchase in Bella.

Krrishv

Reaction score
The only thing that I didn't see here that is an absolute must is to make sure that you buy a mandatory resort. Most Westin /Sheraton resorts are not mandatory.

Here is a list of the mandatory resorts:

Please note that there are sections of some of the resort which are mandatory and other sections that are not.

(Staroptions for a 2bd in platinum season.)

Westin St Johns WSJ: Hillside - Staroptions - 148,100

Harborside Atlantis - Staroptions - 148,100

Maui -WKORV-N - Staroptions - 148,100

Maui -WKORV: - Staroptions - 148,100

Disney World - Orlando SVV: Bella - Staroptions - 95,700

Disney World - Orlando SVV: Key West - Staroptions - 95,700

AZ Scottsdale WKV: - Staroptions - 148,100
Thanks for your valuble inputs on Mandatory resort. Yeah I am going to get only in mandatory resorts for sure. I am not sure which mandatory resort will give value for money. For example this one

This one sounds good for high season. But 2331 yearly maintanance, Does it do justice?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for your valuble inputs on Mandatory resort. Yeah I am going to get only in mandatory resorts for sure. I am not sure which mandatory resort will give value for money. For example this one

This one sounds good for high season. But 2331 yearly maintanance, Does it do justice?
Those fees probably include the Club Dues, which you would need to pay. Realize that any mandatory you purchase resale won't be able to elect for Abound Club Points. You can only use it at your home resort, within the VSN network or exchange through Interval International. You can use points to book Marriott Vacation Club resorts.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
What is the difference in cost of acquisition (capital cost) between Mandatory SVV option and WKV?

We all understand there is a much lower MF to Star Options price Ratio at WKV.

How many years before the additional capital cost represents real out of pocket savings? I always start with an assumption that the initial capital cost with any timeshare is a sunk cost. How long am I really going to own this? If it takes me more than 5 years MF savings to cover the additional capital cost, I lean to the SVV purchase.

How am I going to unload this at some future date? You need an exit plan. Given it's present resale value, and my sunk cost assumption above, the WKV will be easier to unload.

Lastly on the real cost issue: Am I somewhat realistically confident that WKV will hold some of its value 5 to 8 years out? Where does that land me on the decision?

This is the way I think about timeshare purchases.

My ultimate timeshare exit strategy is somewhat easier. I am Canadian (non-resident in the USA is the key). I can walk away and not worry about a mark, or even shadow, on my credit rating. This is a last resort nuclear option, but it is an option. I couldn't ever trigger this without assuming I am walking away from all my Vistana and Marriott units. This is in my estate planning notes to my family. Cut them loose.