• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin vistana membership

Krrishv

Reaction score
Dear members,

I was in Westin Lagunamar, Cancun last week and got a deal for 18K to get Vistana membership.

1) 18K membership for 45K star option points. Access to all the resorts in vistana network except Marriott grand vacation club and Ritz Carlton
2) 90K additional star options credited for January expires in 2 years.
3) 1200+ for the HOA which includes the club membership fee as well.
4) 90K bonus Marriott Bonvoy points
5) $5k coupon for diamond access.
6) 4 of 350K certificates offered at $2250
7) Gold Marriott bonvoy membership (does not matter since I am a lifetime platinum)

Over all I felt the deal was good because our family is 4 (me, my wife and 2 kids) we spend easily 4K in a year for vacations. I thought this make very sense). After reading the forums here, I heard the deal is over prized and I can get the deal in secondary markets for less. Our main goal to access every resort not just one resort. I rescinded my offer this morning.

I see lot of people recommended sale of Westin Kierland villas which can be bought and used across vistana network. One of the thing in sales presentation they said, I can use Vistana network only if I buy direct not through any second sale. Can anyone confirm this. Also I was checking a sample sale last night for Westin Kierland villas and it says $7500, platinum season with 81K staroptions 1 Bed, $1500 maintanance. is that 1 bed villas? which is what I got attracted when I stayed in Westin Lagunamar which is good enough for my family. Is this a good deal? also can this be used across vistana network? Can I access Marriott grand and Ritz Carlton as well?

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

Yes, the Westin Kierland 81000 options from the Premium 1BD villa can be used across the Vistana network. As for Marriott, you can't swap your options for club points but you could access Marriott through Interval International

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
moved to the vistana forum so you can get more help!

congrats on rescinding and saving 18k!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I see lot of people recommended sale of Westin Kierland villas which can be bought and used across vistana network. One of the thing in sales presentation they said, I can use Vistana network only if I buy direct not through any second sale. Can anyone confirm this. Also I was checking a sample sale last night for Westin Kierland villas and it says $7500, platinum season with 81K staroptions 1 Bed, $1500 maintanance. is that 1 bed villas? which is what I got attracted when I stayed in Westin Lagunamar which is good enough for my family. Is this a good deal? also can this be used across vistana network? Can I access Marriott grand and Ritz Carlton as well?
I can confirm that this was a blatant lie. I own at Kierland and I use it to make reservations across the Vistana network.

Congrats on rescinding.

Kierland is cheaper to buy, cheaper to use, and will have value when you go to sell it -- unlike what you were sold which has no resale value.

Krrishv

Reaction score
Hi

Yes, the Westin Kierland 81000 options from the Premium 1BD villa can be used across the Vistana network. As for Marriott, you can't swap your options for club points but you could access Marriott through Interval International
I don't understand what is mean by you can't swap your options for Club points. What am I missing from buying direct? Interval international is just a place where I can purchase the hotel stay for discounted price, I can't use my points there. My main question is do I have access to all these clubs https://www.marriottvacationclubs.com/s/experiences/destinations like how they marketed when I buy direct. Is there anything I will miss not buying direct?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I see lot of people recommended sale of Westin Kierland villas which can be bought and used across vistana network. One of the thing in sales presentation they said, I can use Vistana network only if I buy direct not through any second sale. Can anyone confirm this.

For the product they sold you, it is true that you can only use the Vistana network if you buy direct.

For legacy products, like Kierland, it is not true. Those products are a much better value and can be obtained on the resale market. For the $18K you paid, you can but a Platinum 2BR lockoff Kieland deeded ownership, which gives you 148,100 Staroptions that can be used to book ~20 resorts up to 8 months in advance, subject to availability. You can also book your 2BR at Kierland up to 12 months in advance and use it or rent it. You can also use Interval and deposit that 2BR as two separate weeks to get multiple trades.

Rescind, do your research, and then at least make an informed decision. That's what we did ~15 years ago after we found TUG :)

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand what is mean by you can't swap your options for Club points. What am I missing from buying direct? Interval international is just a place where I can purchase the hotel stay for discounted price, I can't use my points there. My main question is do I have access to all these clubs https://www.marriottvacationclubs.com/s/experiences/destinations like how they marketed when I buy direct. Is there anything I will miss not buying direct?
Interval International is an exchange platform, not just a booking site.
In big handfulls:
If you buy resale at a Vistana Mandatory resort, a recommended above, you have 3 ways to use your ownership to go to timeshares:
- Book your home resort(s)
- Book across the Vistana network via VSN from 8 months ahead
- Exchange your home resort in II to go to an MVC, Vistana or any other II resort, subject to availability.

If you buy direct you have 4 ways to use your ownership to go to timeshares:
- Exchange your home resort in II to go to an MVC, Vistana or any other II resort, subject to availability.
- Elect your home resort for MVC Club points and book what is available in the Abound Exchange.

Sales won't have told you that some MVC properties are much more available via II than via Abound and that when you elect your home resort for club points, you may not get enough club points to book what you desire.

If you didn't go in knowing that the deal you got was what you needed and the best deal for your needs, it is probable that you didn't get the best deal. Once you have done some research into what, if any, timeshare meets your needs you can then work out the best way to buy that. If buying direct is the answer, you can do that, as they will take your money anytime you want to give it to them.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need educate yourself before buying anything. If you knew the answers then you wouldn't have asked. You should appreciate the answers given by all the experts here on TUG.
When buying a mandatory resale you will have access to all Sheraton and Westin properties but not Marriott.(but you can trade your week through Interval to get into some of the Marriotts)

45000 options is not going to get you access to a 1BD villa in many places unless it is during off season. For ex you were just at Lagunamar during gold season and a 1 BD goes for 44000 options. That same unit requires 81000 options for 1 week in Platinum season.

You can look at the "Staroptions Value Chart" to see all of the seasons and point values required for all of the Vistana Network properties

Last edited:

Krrishv

Reaction score
For the product they sold you, it is true that you can only use the Vistana network if you buy direct.

For legacy products, like Kierland, it is not true. Those products are a much better value and can be obtained on the resale market. For the $18K you paid, you can but a Platinum 2BR lockoff Kieland deeded ownership, which gives you 148,100 Staroptions that can be used to book ~20 resorts up to 8 months in advance, subject to availability. You can also book your 2BR at Kierland up to 12 months in advance and use it or rent it. You can also use Interval and deposit that 2BR as two separate weeks to get multiple trades.

Rescind, do your research, and then at least make an informed decision. That's what we did ~15 years ago after we found TUG :)
Thank you so much

Krrishv

Reaction score
I got a email " it is very important for the company to have the reasons, which are moving you to retract". Do I need to provide any reasons to retract?

Krrishv

Reaction score
Interval International is an exchange platform, not just a booking site.
In big handfulls:
If you buy resale at a Vistana Mandatory resort, a recommended above, you have 3 ways to use your ownership to go to timeshares:

If you buy direct you have 4 ways to use your ownership to go to timeshares:
- Elect your home resort for MVC Club points and book what is available in the Abound Exchange.

Sales won't have told you that some MVC properties are much more available via II than via Abound and that when you elect your home resort for club points, you may not get enough club points to book what you desire.

If you didn't go in knowing that the deal you got was what you needed and the best deal for your needs, it is probable that you didn't get the best deal. Once you have done some research into what, if any, timeshare meets your needs you can then work out the best way to buy that. If buying direct is the answer, you can do that, as they will take your money anytime you want to give it to them.
Very good explanation. Thank you so much.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a email " it is very important for the company to have the reasons, which are moving you to retract". Do I need to provide any reasons to retract?
You should not need to give them a reason. As long as you followed the instructions for rescinding that were in your contract.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent and timely choice. To add to the last response, no reason is required. You don't even have to respond to them. Since the contacted you, it seems they have received your rescission. As long as you followed the directions, just mute them and your down payment should come back to you soon. If it does not come back within the allotted time to dispute (assuming you used a credit card), then open a dispute and upload a copy of your letter to request a charge back.
The responses above have already given you a synopsis of how the Westin/Sheraton system operates and their interaction with the Marriott system. I will add that through interval, you will have access to other resort systems such as Disney, Hyatt, etc. Take your time, learn some more, ask questions. A well informed timeshare owner is a happy owner.

Krrishv

Reaction score
Excellent and timely choice. To add to the last response, no reason is required. You don't even have to respond to them. Since the contacted you, it seems they have received your rescission. As long as you followed the directions, just mute them and your down payment should come back to you soon. If it does not come back within the allotted time to dispute (assuming you used a credit card), then open a dispute and upload a copy of your letter to request a charge back.
The responses above have already given you a synopsis of how the Westin/Sheraton system operates and their interaction with the Marriott system. I will add that through interval, you will have access to other resort systems such as Disney, Hyatt, etc. Take your time, learn some more, ask questions. A well informed timeshare owner is a happy owner.
Nice sounds like the right strategy is to buy from Vistana mandatory resort available for re-sale. Then use it with Westin/Sheraton through Vistana network and do the Marriott and other brand like Disney through Interval exchange. That is what I am looking at now. Thank you all

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice sounds like the right strategy is to buy from Vistana mandatory resort available for re-sale. Then use it with Westin/Sheraton through Vistana network and do the Marriott and other brand like Disney through Interval exchange. That is what I am looking at now. Thank you all
One to think about is whether you are likely to want to visit MVC or Vistana properties more, when using II.
If it's MVC then you should consider buying resale MVC. Also look into buying a lock-off unit vs a fixed unit. Lots to consider take your time, it may take many months

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
The only reason they want to know is for a sales angle to counter. You don’t need to give them any reason. It’s your legal right to rescind.

Westin Lagunamar is an amazing resort along with the resort of the Vistana system. We are very happy with the quality of the resorts but you don’t need to pay full developer pricing to access them.

Krrishv

Reaction score
One to think about is whether you are likely to want to visit MVC or Vistana properties more, when using II.
If it's MVC then you should consider buying resale MVC. Also look into buying a lock-off unit vs a fixed unit. Lots to consider take your time, it may take many months
I know Vistana properties are really the best properties. while MVC provides more coverage across the world. As far as you can get a good deal on Vistana network and use the interval exchange for other MVC that should be fine right? Am I making sense.

Krrishv

Reaction score
The only reason they want to know is for a sales angle to counter. You don’t need to give them any reason. It’s your legal right to rescind.

Westin Lagunamar is an amazing resort along with the resort of the Vistana system. We are very happy with the quality of the resorts but you don’t need to pay full developer pricing to access them.
Yep make sense, I did tell them I found a cheaper price for the Vistana membership. So please retract my contract..:)

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know Vistana properties are really the best properties. while MVC provides more coverage across the world. As far as you can get a good deal on Vistana network and use the interval exchange for other MVC that should be fine right? Am I making sense.
You are correct.
Just remember when using II, you will have to give up your week at your home resort. So if you have 1 bedroom, your 1 bedroom for that year is gone if you exchange.
Using an example previously mentioned, say you had a 2 bedroom platinum plus with 148100 star options, you can get 4 weeks in a studio at Westin Lagunamar in a gold plus season such as this trip. A 1 bedroom knocks it down to 3 weeks with some points left over. if you have not looked at the star options chart, you should. Just Google it
The same unit will only get you two weeks via interval international (II) because II is weeks for weeks. However , you can use 1 bedroom to get upgraded to a 2 bedroom or even 3 depending on availability and subject to an upgrade fee. This is the learning part.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I prefer Westin over Marriott, when it comes to value and room quality.

We never used to buy where we want to go but are going that direction lately. I have always loved exchanging, but it's not been working as well lately, and maybe it's by design to entice those of us who love Westin accommodations into buying retail, but I am never going to buy from the developer. I know what crap they are selling today, and the price doesn't give enough value.

Krrishv

Reaction score
You are correct.
Just remember when using II, you will have to give up your week at your home resort. So if you have 1 bedroom, your 1 bedroom for that year is gone if you exchange.
Using an example previously mentioned, say you had a 2 bedroom platinum plus with 148100 star options, you can get 4 weeks in a studio at Westin Lagunamar in a gold plus season such as this trip. A 1 bedroom knocks it down to 3 weeks with some points left over. if you have not looked at the star options chart, you should. Just Google it
The same unit will only get you two weeks via interval international (II) because II is weeks for weeks. However , you can use 1 bedroom to get upgraded to a 2 bedroom or even 3 depending on availability and subject to an upgrade fee. This is the learning part.
1 bedroom is very much good for us. My kids are at young age now. We will be happy to stay in 1 bed where we have a sofa bed. I love the 148100 star points option. So I can stay couple of weeks and rent it for couple of weeks in gold or silver season to cover the maintanance fees. In your example where you say I would have to give up a week in my home resort. Let us say I buy 148100 in Westin Kierland. How does the exchange works for for MVC or other resorts? What will be the best strategy.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 148100 Star options is a 2 bedroom platinum plus. The 2 bedroom can be locked off into 2 different 1 bedrooms. You can now use each of the 1 bedrooms to exchange in II for 1 week each. So you end up with two weeks. When exchanging, you can exchange into any resort system you find in II such as Marriott, etc.
II charges an annual fee ($99, you get a discount of you sign up for multiple years) plus an exchange fee ($219, I don't remember if there is lower price when exchanging into a Marriott).
If you buy in Kierland, you may want to just use the VSN network and use your star options exchange for now and then maybe sign up for II later.
As for reserving and renting using your star options, I will let those that own there chime on on the restrictions. However, keep in mind the gold season at Kierland is hot (Phoenix, AZ). I am not sure how marketable those weeks will be.