• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have left two voice mails and sent two emails to him. No replies from him.

This seems to be a St John thing. I have twice filled out a web page request form for Westin Breeze transport to WSJ. No one has yet responded.

I have twice filled out a Paris Car Rentals web page form requesting a vehicle for October. No one has yet responded.

Actually....Had the same issue with contacting various transportation companies too. Only one has been regularly responsive.

pharmgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Will be at the Westin TS in St John for first time Pres week. Just started to really think about transportation. We have been to St John a number of times but on sailboats, first time on land!

Are there taxis readily available from the resort to beaches , assume this is fine
But, how do you return from beach? I seem to remember some taxis at the national Park beach, the one with the underwater trail. We will be 4 adults and a 7 yr old. Probably will stay mostly at resort with some sailing

If we decide to rent a car can we rent from the resort? we will be on St Thomas at Sapphire Beach week before but probably will be using taxis. Really don't want to rent on St Thomas and take car ferry to St John

The Westin ferry service seems very expensive, once we are on St John will not be leaving till week is over, then ferry and Frenchmans Reef hotel for another 2 nights

Very excited to have luxury 2 big BR, etc compared to sleeping on an at most 50 ft sail boat

thanks for info [searched but not sure about specifics]

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
After having taken every type of transport to/from/on StJ (except private taxi) over the last 6 years - we rent on STT and take car ferry. YMMV

Be aware that the taxis charge per person (for example - 4 people going to Cruz Bay will cost $20 at $5pp - which is ~2 miles away from WSJ)
The taxis are really taxi-buses as they pickup/dropoff others during the trip.
The taxis do go to/from the main north-side beaches during the day.
The car ferries have just increased their prices by ~10%.

To me - since we spend so much for our StJ vacations already - I do not decide to go cheap when it comes to transportation. From our villa in B34 - we can get to Trunk Bay in 17 mins - that (to me) is worth a lot versus dealing with the taxis - again YMMV.

As to non-communication from StJ businesses - this is very common - the island businesses are not internet-savvy (I think they choose not to be) - contact by telephone and direct email works best and trust goes a long way if you are comfortable with that. For example - they probably have your reservation, but haven't gotten around to acknowledging.

lobsterlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin St. John

We just got back from an amazing stay at Frenchmans Cove in STT and did 2 car ferry trips to St. John. We really liked it there so investigated the Westin before we left for a future trip. We just walked about and I talked to a few people asking opinions. Unfortunatly no one we talked to was very happy with their rooms. I have read that on TA.
We didn't talk to anyone about the condo's though and wondered what the state of those are in. The haul across the road looks like a pain. On Redweek it looks like there is a different section on the beach side???
I know this is a hudge thread dating all the way back to 2008 but I'd really like to cut to the chase! and not read 929 posts...LOL
Thank you
Renee

Last edited:

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are two phases, Hillside (across the road but not a pain at all - "iguana rides" are a phone call away if don't want to spend 7 minutes walking through lush gardens!) and Bay Vista, up the hill to the right if standing on beach looking at the resort.

Bay Vista only a few years old and units still in great shape. Hillside completed a huge renovation within the last two years - units also in great shape.

Hillside weeks are fixed/float - short explanation is buy a week that works for you cuz floating is close to impossible. Bay Vista sold as at least 50% float - 3 seasons: winter, summer, hurricane.

Advantages of Hillside - real ovens, 3-BRs have own pools, ability to park outside your unit

Advantages of Bay Vista - float (if that's what you want), lower maint fees (for now, won't hold true long term). Parking is clear across the resort and the combination microwave/convection oven sucks.

I own at both - prefer Hillside, but wanted the ability to float so have one EOY at each.

Prices to buy are pretty low due to high maint fees. Hillside comes with SVN (Starwood's internal system) on resale market. Bay Vista doesn't - but you won't want to trade so not a big deal in my book!
There's your nutshell!

lobsterlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is very helpful...thanks for taking the time to tell me.
We were going to rent, not buy, but good info.
I'm not afraid of walking but end up loaded down like a pack mule cause of kids!
Don't plan on cooking anything but bacon and eggs...yay!!
When you say the 3 beds have there own pools are you talking plunge pool per unit or pool per bank of condo's. We actually drove all the way to the back and to the right up the hill at the condos and saw a small pool. Is that where you're talking about new ones?
Thanks!

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, you would have passed the 3-BR Pool Villas, on your left, on your way up the hill. Each villa has its own pool -- not a plunge pool, but certainly not a lap pool either.

There's a good picture here: http://www.stjohncondos.com/3bedfacs.htm

The rest of the Hilltop Villas (studios, one-BRs and two-BRs) have shared pools between the buildings, which is what you saw, plus access to the main pool (of course). Bay Vista (the "new" phase) only has access to the main pool -- a short walk, but LOTS of steps for a pack mule!

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a resort map, which makes it easier to understand locations:

http://www.omvillasstjohn.com/images/westin_map.gif

Buildings 24, 25, 26 and 27 (light yellow -- labeled "Upper Hillside Buildings") are the Bay Vista Villas ("new phase"). There are regular 2-BRs, 2-BR Lofts and 3-BR units.

Buildings 41, 42, 43 and 44 are the 3-BR pool villas, which are part of Phase One ("Hillside Villas" ... original name Virgin Grand Villas).

Buildings 31, 32, 33 and 34 are the studios, 1-BRs, and 2-BRs (both a flat floorplan and a townhouse floorplan) for Phase One.

All the other buildings are part of the hotel, and sadly in need of a good renovation. Having said that, most people don't spend a lot of time in their rooms ... but you do hear a lot of griping about it from hotel guests at the pool.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I have left two voice mails and sent two emails to him. No replies from him.

This seems to be a St John thing. I have twice filled out a web page request form for Westin Breeze transport to WSJ. No one has yet responded.

I have twice filled out a Paris Car Rentals web page form requesting a vehicle for October. No one has yet responded.

Well...WSJ finally responded, and we now have ferry reservations. Two tidbits may be of interest:
1. The fee for the ferry is now $120pp for adults.
2. Owners receive a $10 discount. (I'm not sure whether this is for WSJ owners only, or if other Westin owners are also eligible. It may pay to ask.)

Before I get chastised for not renting a car on St Thomas...we won't be needing a vehicle for our full 13-day stay at WSJ. That tilts the economics in favor of taking the ferry and renting on St John.

lobsterlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jerseygirl.
Just to confirm, someone booking with staroptions are able to rent right?
You've sold me! Now to find a rental for next xmas! Lots of time anyway!
Renee

oh also...guests told me the hotel was going to remodel some of the old hotel rooms into timeshare condo's. Sure would be a nice location, near the pool and beach.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Well...WSJ finally responded, and we now have ferry reservations. Two tidbits may be of interest:
1. The fee for the ferry is now $120pp for adults.
2. Owners receive a $10 discount. (I'm not sure whether this is for WSJ owners only, or if other Westin owners are also eligible. It may pay to ask.)

Before I get chastised for not renting a car on St Thomas...we won't be needing a vehicle for our full 13-day stay at WSJ. That tilts the economics in favor of taking the ferry and renting on St John.

The discount is meant for WSJ Owners, but can't hurt to ask.

It is not about chastising - I have certainly taken the WSJ as well as the public passenger ferry (and rented both on STT and STJ). It is more about knowing that the option of renting on STT and taking the car barge over as not being as complicated as it may seem. The Westin ferry has gotten quite expensive - when we first took it (~5 years ago) it was $65pp - much more reasonable. Now with 4 adults - it is about the same as a week rental and not having to hassle with the taxi-buses or the per person cost (and certainly cannot be defined as a 'cab'). If your intent is to stay on resort for the most part - then a long-term rental is certainly not worth it. Our last 2 trips (14 days) - we barely made it down to the main resort and spend most time at the numerous beautiful beaches - but that is us - everyone has their own vacation expectations.

Whatever you rent - make sure the vehicle has good brakes and tires, and functioning AC. Also - take good notes (photos) of the vehicle before renting - and make sure it is clean of sand upon returning. If renting from O'Connor at the resort - try not to mind the people behind the counter - they are infamous for poor service skills - it is just the way it is.

Enjoy

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up if you rent a car at the resort

While we are on the topic of renting a car...

Last year a couple in our group rented a car at the resort for a day. The car was of fine quality. They liked it and decided to keep it for a second day, assuming it would work like a normal rental at Hertz or Avis...not so.

The car was something like $45 a day and $12 per hour if you return it late. When he returned it after about 40 hours, their bill was for the daily rate for the first 24 hours and the hourly rate for each and every one of the the other 16 hours. The resort didn't offer to help, claiming it was a third party consession.

After much aggrevation, the manager of the rental car place met him in the middle, but it cost him much more than the expected.

WildJohn

Reaction score
Regarding Renting a Car at the Resort

My suggestion is DO NOT EVER DO THAT You get the best value on your trip by renting a car from the airport in St. Thomas. You can get a weekly rate of approx $500.00 Avis and Budget allow you to ferry your car over to St. John It's about a 45 minute drive from the airport to Red Hook, where you catch the car ferry. Three different operators run it, so there's one just about every half hour from about 7:00am to 8:00pm. The cost is roughly $25.00 each way per vehicle. Even if you only intend to drive around St. John 2 of the days that you are there, you save the $110.00 per person adult r/t on the Westin ferry and you have transportation for everything on St. John (trips to down for dinner, going to the supermarket to pick up groceries, etc).

If you don't want to rent from the airport, there are better places in town to use as opposed to the resort. Dave and Robin might have some additional suggestions.

John

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Yes, there are cheaper places to rent a car in town for day rentals. It's all in whether you are willing to pay for the convenience of an on-site car rental company. (And the $5 per person cab ride to/from Cruz Bay.)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
John - Some folks just do not want to be burdened with a vehicle the whole time - and I understand this - especially if someone stays in the BV section as parking is some distance away.

Parking is available right outside of the Hillside (VG) villas - and that adds tremendous benefit in accessing StJ (IMO). If I were down in the BV section - I may tend to say 'screw-it, I'll just hang by the pool' vs. dealing with getting everyone (incl me) over to the car along with all of our stuff - as I am very lazy when on vacation (and it is hot! in June), and I am the most active of the bunch. Heck... we barely get down to the main resort.

We enjoy the freedom having a vehicle gives us, but I think that stems in some part to our easy in/out access. We go with Amalie Car Rental in STT nowadays - it costs more, but... IMO YMMV

Speaking off Jeep rentals... The Grande Bay Resort in CB that has recently gone fractional - has a Jeep Club for Owners - it would be great if WSJ did the same...
http://www.grandebayresort.com/page_rc_faq.cfm

btw... for those curious...
2Bd/2Ba Suite at GBR (1465sqft) - rack rate $600/nite (w/tax) during our weeks in June
http://www.grandebayresortusvi.com/room.cfm?RoomID=4

Wow! - the 1Bd Penthouse suite looks nice - I wonder what they want for it?
rack rate - ~$511/nite (w/ tax)
http://www.grandebayresortusvi.com/room.cfm?RoomID=6

has video... and No... I do not represent GBR ;)

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The video in DavidNRobin's post gives a great overview of what to expect in St. John. It has a unique flavor and the video captures it well, IMO.

Rascalsmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pharmgirl, have you been to Sapphire Beach before? We stayed there a few years ago and the quality of individual units varies widely. We rented directly from an owner. No amenities, but the BEST beach, IMO. Really- not even a restaurant because there were problems between the mgt co and the HOA. I wanted a car there.

I would stay there again for the beach but I would rent on VRBO where I could see the unit. Bon Voyage- wish I was going!

pharmgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pharmgirl, have you been to Sapphire Beach before? We stayed there a few years ago and the quality of individual units varies widely. We rented directly from an owner. No amenities, but the BEST beach, IMO. Really- not even a restaurant because there were problems between the mgt co and the HOA. I wanted a car there.

I would stay there again for the beach but I would rent on VRBO where I could see the unit. Bon Voyage- wish I was going!

We were at the beach last year, rented fromVRBO we will take our chances, pics look nice and we aren,t too fussy
Looking for clean place with kitchen and nice view
Family will join us on st John
We sailed BVI many times on 36 to 50 ft boats land accommodations in islands seem very comfortable
Will take taxis if we want to go to grocery store or restaurants, renting a car in STT and will take car ferry over

Last time we took the car ferry our grandson drove up the ramp and maneuvered into the parking on deck That will be interesting!!!!

Rascalsmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yay VRBO - good for you. I'm sure it will be very nice - just wanted to make sure you didn't have a bad surprise if you got one of the Mgt company units (Antilles resorts?). Just remembered - my avatar is of our view at Sapphire!

We are doing Tradewinds BVI in July, so we will be trying out the boat accomodations. Can't wait!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I didn't know you had to register to read StJ Tradewinds - here is excerpt...

Friends of Virgin Islands National Park and Virgin Islands National Park announced last week a change in reservation policy for the National Park Service ranger-led hike to Reef Bay, the premier hiking opportunity in VINP.

Reservations and purchase of transportation vouchers for the Reef Bay Hike, led by VINP rangers, will now be done through the Friends of the Park Store on the first level of Mongoose Junction.

Vouchers for transportation will need to be purchased at the time of reservation for $30 per hiker.

The maximum number of hikers on any given trip will be 31. Friends will maintain a waiting list once hikes are filled to capacity and will notify those on the list as vacancies occur.

Vouchers for the Reef Bay Hike will be available on the day of the hike on a space available basis; but this is a very popular activity and advance reservations are highly recommended.

Enquiries about reservations for the hike at the VINP Visitor Center will be directed by counter staff to the Friends of the Park Store.
The schedule for trips will be as follows: January – March: four trips/week (Mon, Tue, Thu, & Fri); April – July: three trips/week (Mon, Tue, & Thu); August – October: two trips/week (Mon & Thu); November – December: three trips/week (Mon, Tue, & Thu)

The frequency of trips may be modified by VINP based on demand or other conditions.

All details of the trip will remain the same. The taxi to the Reef Bay trailhead will depart the VINP Visitors Center promptly at 9:30 a.m. and return to Cruz Bay by boat by 2:30 or 3 p.m.

Vouchers should be picked up from the Friends of the Park Store in Mongoose Junction, and hikers are encouraged to pick up vouchers days prior to the hike. Anyone who must pick up a voucher on the day of the hike, please do so by 9 am, when the store opens.

Hikers must have their vouchers in hand to board the taxi from VINP Visitor Center at 9:30 am and to present to the boat crew at Reef Bay.

If the hike is cancelled by VINP, voucher-holders will receive a full refund or may rebook the trip at no additional charge. If a reservation is canceled more than 24 hours before the start of the hike, hikers may rebook the hike at no additional charge, or receive a full refund.

There are no refunds for “no-shows” or elective cancellations within 24 hours of the trip. Call the Friends of the Park Store at 340-779-8700 for last minute questions or to cancel a reservation. Vouchers are not transferable.

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not hiked the Reef Bay Trail. However, I have driven down Centerline Road several times coming back from Coral Bay and always wondered what was on the south side of the island.

Next time I am back at WSJ, this hike will be a must. Kudos to David for posting this information about the Reef Bay Trail. Good to know stuff! ... eom

Status
Not open for further replies.