• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hey @duke - I wasn't aware of a Class Action lawsuit - you on the class action, or going to start one? :)

The letter (excerpt below) announcing the shutdown for post-June thru Jan4 2018 reservations that I received yesterday states: (See Bullet #1) (maybe VGV Owners have different terms?)

Due to the resort's closure, Owner Services will begin efforts to cancel any remaining scheduled 2018 reservations from July 1 through week 52, 2018. Reservations will be accepted for arrivals beginning Jan. 4, 2019.

Although you are unable to occupy, deposit or convert your ownership, we are providing a choice of one of the following alternatives to help you preserve your 2018 vacation:

• Reserve a Vistana Signature Network™ reservation for a stay at one of our other 20 network resorts by logging onto vistana.com to book an online reservation; OR
  • Request Banking of your 2018 Use Year StarOptions® with no transaction fee (valid for use through Dec. 31, 2021); OR
  • Request assignment of your Week or Points Use Right with the full trading power of your Home Resort interval with Interval International®1 for use through Dec. 31, 2020. While there is no fee to assign your Week or Points Use Right, at the time you initiate a vacation exchange request, Interval will collect its current exchange fee.2
In addition to the above choices, you may purchase an SPG® Starpoints® package (up to 110,000) at a preferred rate that can be redeemed at over 1,500 hotels and resorts worldwide (package valid for six years from issuance and subject to the terms and conditions of the SPG program). Offer available until Dec. 31, 2018. Limit of one SPG package only.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got essentially the same offer for my unit at Bay Vista.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the same for my VGV and SB VOIs. I have options in all VOIs so they shouldn’t be able to prevent me from traiding in network...

schafercpa

Reaction score
Great, Two fixed week 49 weeks down the drain.

Just ran across this aerial I have not seen before. Sorry if it was previously posted.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey DnR -
Nope, Just seems that they are giving away someone else's stuff and that is not right.
Per okwiater it's ok to do that.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok the 110,000 points were too good of a deal to pass up ... I am definitely going to look at that Marriott 7 day Cat 7 hotel stay and flight conversion deal.

halsey

TUG Member
Reaction score
This alert was mentioned several weeks back. I also purchased the 110,000 points but I understand that Vistana points, which these are, are not transferrable to Marriott. Is that the understanding of others? If true, is anyone aware of other limitations besides the fact that these points do expire in 6 years (of course they will never last longer than a year in our family).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This alert was mentioned several weeks back. I also purchased the 110,000 points but I understand that Vistana points, which these are, are not transferrable to Marriott. Is that the understanding of others? If true, is anyone aware of other limitations besides the fact that these points do expire in 6 years (of course they will never last longer than a year in our family).

Where did the info that they cannot be converted to Marriott come from?
These 'points' are in my SPG account combined with my existing SPs - they are not listed separately (as Vistana points).

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
They can be transferred to Marriott Reward Points.

halsey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read it in an earlier post here then on the Marriott site under FAQ. Agree that my SPG account shows just a total but if you click on the point activity link it does show the 110,000 separately as Vistana points. I am certainly hopeful that they can be transferred as we just discovered that we love the Residence Inn in Philadelphia although it is very reasonably priced so may not be wise to use points there. Hopefully there are folks on here that have actually transferred these points already so can confirm like GrayFal stated above.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I read it in an earlier post here then on the Marriott site under FAQ. Agree that my SPG account shows just a total but if you click on the point activity link it does show the 110,000 separately as Vistana points. I am certainly hopeful that they can be transferred as we just discovered that we love the Residence Inn in Philadelphia although it is very reasonably priced so may not be wise to use points there. Hopefully there are folks on here that have actually transferred these points already so can confirm like GrayFal stated above.
They can be transferred :cool:

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

technically, you are not allowed to transfer points originating from the timeshare side to the other hotel side (ie VSN to SPG to MR, or MVC to MR to SPG), but it works fine and good luck with the system trying to keep track of what points originated where.

just launder them once or twice (make bookings, cancel bookings, etc) and it's pretty much impossible to track... same applies to the 6yrs expiry...

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have already transferred to Marriott and have purchased the Rewards Package and currently waiting on American Airlines miles to post so I can complete an itinerary.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
technically, you are not allowed to transfer points originating from the timeshare side to the other hotel side (ie VSN to SPG to MR, or MVC to MR to SPG), but it works fine and good luck with the system trying to keep track of what points originated where.

just launder them once or twice (make bookings, cancel bookings, etc) and it's pretty much impossible to track... same applies to the 6yrs expiry...
Exactly. You can make it very hard for them to track the point origin.

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean it is allowed. People speed all the time...and few get caught...

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have already transferred to Marriott and have purchased the Rewards Package and currently waiting on American Airlines miles to post so I can complete an itinerary.

Booked into 7 nights in St. Kitts and just confirmed 4 plane tickets non-stop Charlotte to St. Kitts ... not sure I could have done much better on points utilization.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Has anyone else received an error when attempting to confirm a reservation for 2019? My fixed week 9 fixed unit VOI is in an unconfirmed status and will not allow me to confirm. I know I have until May to confirm, I am just curious is anyone else is having this issue?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Has anyone else received an error when attempting to confirm a reservation for 2019? My fixed week 9 fixed unit VOI is in an unconfirmed status and will not allow me to confirm. I know I have until May to confirm, I am just curious is anyone else is having this issue?

Yes, I think it is because all WSJ reservations are blocked right now. If you call Owner Services they can confirm it for you though.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Yes, I think it is because all WSJ reservations are blocked right now. If you call Owner Services they can confirm it for you though.
OK thanx

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to 2019 - made my 1st 2019 reservation to return Jan 11th (week 3 of the new resort) and will be booking our 2nd week this week. Had no trouble getting in at Midnight EST to make our 1 year Home Reservation. Can't wait to get back and support the local economy!

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought for sure that by now there would be owners trying to unload WSJ for cheap given the circumstances, but am not seeing it on Redweek or Myresortsales. Is my impression correct that people are sticking it out until 2019?

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I think the reduced MF helped. Most of those who own WSJ are also ones who want to go to SJ every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I think the reduced MF helped. Most of those who own WSJ are also ones who want to go to SJ every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. I think the only weeks that could turn up would be in the voluntary sections. Even then, would anyone want to buy a week that is not usable until 2019? Knowing the pickle you are in, if something similar happens again, would also be a deterrent to sales. I think it's possible that once the resort is habitable again you might see some weeks for sale.

On a side note being one of those who want to go to WSJ every year. We're going to HI (Oahu and Maui) instead and I'm sure it will be beautiful, but the amount of travel time involved is a real turn off. I can't imagine traveling that far every year. 13 hours of flights and the added expense, yuck. I applaud the west coasters that travel to WSJ every year. I couldn't do it.