• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Mission Hills vs. Desert Willow

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Not quite what I pictured when I heard waterpark. Interesting: https://www.dsrtsurf.com/.

I'm sorry, but this is one of the nuttier ideas I have seen, to put a huge water whatever in the desert in a state that is often in a drought. There are places with natural water all over the country; why plop one in the desert with so many other options? All rhetorical questions/comments. I know many will think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread ;).

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Brief report. We were at WDW the last two weeks of April. Thanks to all who answered our questions about what to expect. We declined the offer for an update Our traveling friends accepted and purchased a 4 day "encore" package, good for 2 years. The most significant bit of information confirmed (we saw a sign while there in January of 2020) was that the plans for a waterpark located between the resort and the Desert Willow Golf Clubhouse are proceeding. It seems crazy to us considering the water shortage in the area. It will certainly raise the noise level at the resort.
Weekends(FR-M) seemed near capacity while the balance of the weeks were less crowded. Several 100F plus days warmed the Quiet Pool.;) Masking was common except in the pools or the golf course. The 2 hour protocol was not enforced at the quiet pool. Did not seen any new construction on the resort grounds but noticed a lot of residential units had been completed and others under construction along Country Club Road next to Manor Care.
The grounds were in excellent condition but we sensed that the residential staff was understaffed at this time.
We took a trip over to WMH to see "the wall" and look over the grounds of both the hotel and the Villas. The grounds were excellent but we did not ask to see the inside of a villa. The pool renovation was complete and looked good. About half the chairs were occupied which appeared to be true at the hotel pool also. The grounds seemed very quiet. We hope the the two companies can reach an agreement to allow access between the hotel/TS properties before we return next year.

I recommend that you tell your friends to rescind the Encore package while (if) they still can. IMO
Thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I'm sorry, but this is one of the nuttier ideas I have seen, to put a huge water whatever in the desert in a state that is often in a drought. There are places with natural water all over the country; why plop one in the desert with so many other options? All rhetorical questions/comments. I know many will think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread ;).
So they claim that they will use less water than the portion of the golf course that it is replacing, so it's a net reduction in water use. I guess that tells you what a crazy amount of water a golf course requires.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
So they claim that they will use less water than the portion of the golf course that it is replacing, so it's a net reduction in water use. I guess that tells you what a crazy amount of water a golf course requires.

Or it avoids the water guzzling questions to begin with, i.e. the ethics and ethos of putting a swim/surfing system (never mind a million golf courses) in the desert etc. It is all kind of amusing in a weird sort way :confused:. We have gone off the deep end imho but I get it. Surf/swim in the desert when a California coast of ocean is 2 hours away. Why not?

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you posted the link. I agree...not a water park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Water Park was the term used by the sales staff last and again this year.
I recall that the sign in the sand might have said "wave park".

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The "desert feel" of WDW is slowly starting to evaporate. The development of surrounding property owned by others in that area was/is probably inevitable. If I was interested in a wave park, I would take my grandkids to Lost Island in IA or Wisconsin Dells.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The "desert feel" of WDW is slowly starting to evaporate. The development of surrounding property owned by others in that area was/is probably inevitable. If I was interested in a wave park, I would take my grandkids to Lost Island in IA or Wisconsin Dells.
You're right, of course, but I don't think it's as bad as you imply. Most of the buildings will continue to have the same golf-course-and-mountains views that they have today; a couple buildings will probably "see" the wave park from the upper floors, off in the distance. Of course, you can already see some of the new development across the golf course from the parking lots, especially near building 9, but it's far enough away that it isn't a big deal, to me at least.

But I expect that any remaining untouched desert land in the big block that includes Desert Willow will be gone before long.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Hi,

Has anyone been to WMH recently? Is the path to the hotel still blocked?

Thanks!

Glorian

robertk2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Villages, Westin Kanapalli
1 minute before I walked around it.

Attachments

• 13A1D4C4-803E-4DD5-9C28-B05B5C7D96FC.jpeg
    13A1D4C4-803E-4DD5-9C28-B05B5C7D96FC.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 103

Andrearr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages (Bella) Vistana
I’m here now. I hate this place. It is still blocked.
This is hilarious.
Makes me think of the "I hate it here" memes
Whew glad I settled on shadow ridge instead of these 2. I had Westin desert booked originally because I thought it would be a more posh feel due to the brand. But I've read too many bad things the past year.

robertk2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Villages, Westin Kanapalli
I visited Desert Willows and I think I would have enjoyed it much more. Mission Hills doesn't have any food/drink, crazy pool rules but they don't actually follow or clean, tiny bed in the smaller 1bd, and I could keep going but you get the point.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is hilarious.
Makes me think of the "I hate it here" memes
Whew glad I settled on shadow ridge instead of these 2. I had Westin desert booked originally because I thought it would be a more posh feel due to the brand. But I've read too many bad things the past year.
I own at Westin Desert Willow (for many years) and love it. Ironically I was considering a stay at Mission Hills this year, just because I’ve never tried it, but convinced myself otherwise after hearing from folks here.

im rather surprised there haven’t been talks of a lawsuit over the closure of access between the hotel and the timeshares. Maybe the tenuous nature of the previous access was fully disclosed to buyers, I don’t know. But if I owned there I’d be pretty unhappy about what has happened.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
It's disappointing that the path is still blocked. We've been going to Mission Hills for years, but I booked WDW for Presidents' Weekend.

If/when the path reopens, I hope someone will update this thread!

tkrisnel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD), Westin Kaanapali North (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD; and 2 BD LO/EOY - EVEN)
Does anyone have any info of status of on-site activities and dining at WDW and WMH now that California and Riverside County have lifted all COVID restrictions. Vistana HUB page still lists most things as closed on-site, call to the properties did not offer any additional info (though I was told re WDW one waterslide is open despite the HUB page saying both are closed). Trip planned for August at WDW, would be much more enjoyable if there were activities and the marketplace was open.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We are at WDW now and will be at WMH later this week to compare. So far the property is nice, even if it is HOT. Some first impressions;

• Quiet Pool closes at 6PM, WHY? Many people complaining about this.
  • Only one pool is open till 10PM. Not sure if it is the upper or lower Mirage pool.
  • The elevator smells like real bad body odor. You can tell they have tried to clean the carpet in the cab, but it hasn't helped and they never used anything to clean around the edge. They just need to replace the carpeting in the elevator cab.
  • The kitchen is as disappointing at Sheraton Vistana Villages and Resort. I was expecting much more. The kitchen utensils and provided dinnerware is disappointing to say the least.
  • The room is otherwise real nice, though the AC seems to have a hard time getting into the bedroom of our 1BR villa.
  • Occupancy was 97% over the weekend but expected to drop to 87% during the week.
  • I like that they built out the four pool areas and have yet to finish all the rooms. It seems like a lot of pools for the number of planned villas at 300. Shoot, Grande Vista has about the same number of pools and 900 units.

Trying to figure out how many units have been built. I have an old report from Vistana that 134 were built, but a Google search indicates 198. Can anyone confirm?

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trying to figure out how many units have been built. I have an old report from Vistana that 134 were built, but a Google search indicates 198. Can anyone confirm?

Aren't all the buildings the same, or nearly the same? I think maybe building 1 is smaller by a few units, I think the others are the same. I'd just count the number of units on the ground floor of your building, multiple by 3 (floors) and then multiply by the number of buildings which have been built I'm thinking maybe 16 units (8 lockoffs) per floor x 3 x 13 (I think) completed buildings, that comes out to over 600 units (300 lockoffs) already, so maybe I'm wrong on the number of units per floor (it's just a guess.)

I think there is one more pool still to be built, IIRC. I thought there was going to be one more pool across the way from buildings 8 and 9, between two buildings that don't exist yet.

Edit: AAA says the property has "440 condominiums" and I am not sure that includes the latest two buildings (8 and 9) which are only a couple years old. I expect they are referring to individual units, so 220 lockoffs as of whatever point in time that number came from.

Just a guess, but I'll bet the early pool closure is a result of staffing issues. Across the state, it's very tough to find workers.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Aren't all the buildings the same, or nearly the same? I think maybe building 1 is smaller by a few units, I think the others are the same. I'd just count the number of units on the ground floor of your building, multiple by 3 (floors) and then multiply by the number of buildings which have been built I'm thinking maybe 16 units (8 lockoffs) per floor x 3 x 13 (I think) completed buildings, that comes out to over 600 units (300 lockoffs) already, so maybe I'm wrong on the number of units per floor (it's just a guess.)

I think there is one more pool still to be built, IIRC. I thought there was going to be one more pool across the way from buildings 8 and 9, between two buildings that don't exist yet.

Edit: AAA says the property has "440 condominiums" and I am not sure that includes the latest two buildings (8 and 9) which are only a couple years old. I expect they are referring to individual units, so 220 lockoffs as of whatever point in time that number came from.

Just a guess, but I'll bet the early pool closure is a result of staffing issues. Across the state, it's very tough to find workers.

Some buildings have three floors while others have four.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
THe top floors also have two less villas as there aren't ones on each end. I don't know if this is all the buildings or just some of them. It looks like there are only 13 current buildings with buildings 10-14 still unbuilt.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That is likely the excuse. We notice though that there is no staff at the pool pretty much all day. They really only show up at closing to kick everyone out and close the pools down and reset the chairs and umbrellas. Maybe an hours work (5:30-6:30).

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
THe top floors also have two less villas as there aren't ones on each end. I don't know if this is all the buildings or just some of them. It looks like there are only 13 current buildings with buildings 10-14 still unbuilt.

All buildings. I almost always get a corner unit (those are the best IMO, since they have an extra window in the living room and tend to be quieter with only one neighbor).

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at WDW now and will be at WMH later this week to compare. So far the property is nice, even if it is HOT.
  • Quiet Pool closes at 6PM, WHY? Many people complaining about this.
Wait till you get to WMH. If you're looking for a quiet pool, you won't find one. Their East Pool used to be called the Serenity Pool, but they still pumped party music to it; in fact, the speakers were right underneath the hammocks (no, I can't make this stuff up). However, one could still use the quiet pool at the hotel (called the La Paloma Pool), which happens to be the closest hotel pool to WMH, but I'm pretty sure that won't be available to you now that villa guests are no longer allowed to use hotel amenities. Have fun!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Wait till you get to WMH. If you're looking for a quiet pool, you won't find one. Their East Pool used to be called the Serenity Pool, but they still pumped party music to it; in fact, the speakers were right underneath the hammocks (no, I can't make this stuff up). However, one could still use the quiet pool at the hotel (called the La Paloma Pool), which happens to be the closest hotel pool to WMH, but I'm pretty sure that won't be available to you now that villa guests are no longer allowed to use hotel amenities. Have fun!
You're really selling us on WMH... The place sounds charming :rolleyes:

MarineBlue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland 2B
Westin Lagunamar 1B EOY
Westin Lagunamar 2B EOY
I preferred the units at WMH. Their premium one-bedroom has a double patio (or balcony) with sliding glass doors in the bedroom as well as the living room. WMH's units are larger in square feet (880 sq. ft) compared to WDW (820 sq. ft). We always use to request a 2nd floor (no elevators; all their bldgs are two-stories) with a golf course view. Very pretty! It is disappointing tho that you can't access the hotel property anymore. That was also a big plus when initially deciding between the two locations. WDW's premium one-bedroom feels like a dark shoe-box in comparison (with just one sliding door in the living room) but I've grown to love their property and its convenient location. WMH just feels 'further out' from the action.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I preferred the units at WMH. Their premium one-bedroom has a double patio (or balcony) with sliding glass doors in the bedroom as well as the living room. WMH's units are larger in square feet (880 sq. ft) compared to WDW (820 sq. ft). We always use to request a 2nd floor (no elevators; all their bldgs are two-stories) with a golf course view. Very pretty! It is disappointing tho that you can't access the hotel property anymore. That was also a big plus when initially deciding between the two locations. WDW's premium one-bedroom feels like a dark shoe-box in comparison (with just one sliding door in the living room) but I've grown to love their property and its convenient location. WMH just feels 'further out' from the action.
I agree that the units at WDW are dark. The only natural light is from the sliding door at the far end. There's a tiny window in the kitchen, but it looks out onto the hallway, so (a) there's not much light from there anyway, and (b) the inclination is to keep those blinds drawn because it feels intrusive to have every person passing by able to peer into your unit. And the lighting isn't especially bright — I don't know why they have to be so stingy with the bulbs now that they're all LED and barely use any juice. But it's a minor quibble. I just end up leaving the lights on if we are there and using the kitchen/dining areas.

WKORV is basically the same layout and has the same issue, minus the tiny kitchen window since its corridors are interior.

I have heard that WMH has individual BBQs for each unit which would be a nice thing. But all the recent problems have dissuaded me from staying there.