• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Mission Hills vs. Desert Willow

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I see no reason to visit WMH while they have these silly separation policies. Then again, I tend to prefer WDW anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
How's WDW this week? is it pretty busy?
We are going tomorrow...can't wait : )

thanks!

We are, too! We were there in December and arrived the day that California shut down travel. We were allowed to stay the entire week and were the last occupants in Building 16 when we checked out. I think it'll be a lot different this trip, but am a little sad that everything on site is still shut down.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at WDW over spring break. No parking fees for me as a Vistana owner.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
As a result of Covid and resort closings, I have been doing a bunch of shuffling of reservations in Interval. Luckily I had bought ePlus. If I am "parking" a reservation I usually try to make it as far out as I can go. So, as a result, I booked WMH. It was available whereas Marriott and WDW were not. I recently read a bunch of Tripadvisor reviews on WMH. Some were glowing but there were a few that were absolutely horrible. What surprised me was the percent of horrible reviews that were pretty recent. On average on TA, WMH gets a 4 star rating, and WDW gets a 4.5 star rating. But I suspect that if I averaged the WMH rating over a shorter time period (like 3 months) that the average would be less than 4 stars. Based on the horrible reviews for WMH I ended up using my last ePlus and booked WDW.

I knew that if we got a unit like the dissatisfied reviewers got, that it would ruin our vacation.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at WDW over spring break....
What was your sense of the resort being at full occupancy: 100-75%; 74-50%; 49-25; or less than 25%? If 50% or less, did it appear that management had attempted to fill certain buildings while leaving others closed?

When we left WDW last January, it appeared that construction was soon to begin on Building 10. Is it completed or still just an empty lot ? Thanks!

Breezy52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Platinum Owner
In March we stayed at Westin Mission Hills and Marriott Desert Springs. For what it's worth, as not Desert Willow, We really preferred the Marriott. We didn't pay parking at either, perhaps because full week useage. I heard someone checking in near us for less than a week that was charged for parking.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
What was your sense of the resort being at full occupancy: 100-75%; 74-50%; 49-25; or less than 25%? If 50% or less, did it appear that management had attempted to fill certain buildings while leaving others closed?

When we left WDW last January, it appeared that construction was soon to begin on Building 10. Is it completed or still just an empty lot ? Thanks!
Maybe 50 % ?

SeattleJohn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
How's WDW this week? is it pretty busy?
We are going tomorrow...can't wait : )

thanks!
Just got back from WDW last night (7 night stay in 2-BR lockoff). The place was fully booked and will be for the rest of the month, according to the front desk folks (two people independently confirmed this). As others have mentioned, the restaurant, spas/hot tub, slides, workout facilities, Kids Club, etc. are closed. Also zero housekeeping, not even mid-week refresh. Pools were super busy but staff was good about the mask requirements (wear them when walking around, but not when sitting or in the pool). We rented cabanas on three different days and really recommend it. It's great to have a home base for the day and some shade. Also they come with a snack bag and waters. At the main pool, you can get food and drink service. The servers seemed to give the cabanas more attention.

Palm Springs was also really busy so if you want to go out to eat, plan ahead or be prepared to wait. (I recommend Farm in downtown PS.)

LMK if you have any specific questions.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Hope this helps.... the sign and the 2 rails are attached by a chain both above and below. If you decide to pass , make sure you don't trip. The only thing I did not look if the hotel guest can access the opposite way. I am not sure if the sign is back to back Lol...

Thanks for pics! It's certainly off putting. I hope they are able to work something outhat and open the path again.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a result of Covid and resort closings, I have been doing a bunch of shuffling of reservations in Interval. Luckily I had bought ePlus. If I am "parking" a reservation I usually try to make it as far out as I can go. So, as a result, I booked WMH. It was available whereas Marriott and WDW were not. I recently read a bunch of Tripadvisor reviews on WMH. Some were glowing but there were a few that were absolutely horrible. What surprised me was the percent of horrible reviews that were pretty recent. On average on TA, WMH gets a 4 star rating, and WDW gets a 4.5 star rating. But I suspect that if I averaged the WMH rating over a shorter time period (like 3 months) that the average would be less than 4 stars. Based on the horrible reviews for WMH I ended up using my last ePlus and booked WDW.

I knew that if we got a unit like the dissatisfied reviewers got, that it would ruin our vacation.

What's an ePlus, please? I haven't seen that before.

Just got back from WDW last night (7 night stay in 2-BR lockoff). The place was fully booked and will be for the rest of the month, according to the front desk folks (two people independently confirmed this). As others have mentioned, the restaurant, spas/hot tub, slides, workout facilities, Kids Club, etc. are closed. Also zero housekeeping, not even mid-week refresh. Pools were super busy but staff was good about the mask requirements (wear them when walking around, but not when sitting or in the pool). We rented cabanas on three different days and really recommend it. It's great to have a home base for the day and some shade. Also they come with a snack bag and waters. At the main pool, you can get food and drink service. The servers seemed to give the cabanas more attention.

Palm Springs was also really busy so if you want to go out to eat, plan ahead or be prepared to wait. (I recommend Farm in downtown PS.)

LMK if you have any specific questions.

We're at WDW now, arrived on Saturday. It was packed that night, but a lot of people checked out yesterday and weren't replaced, judging from the parking situation. I imagine it'll pick up as the weekend approaches - the Concierge who checked us in said that they are booked solid for the next few weekends, not so much during the week. The only outdoor mask requirement in the literature says that they have to be worn at the pools (unless you're swimming) The rule seems largely disregarded. Although there are still "T" and "B" notices (if you're sitting in a chair with a "T" sign you can be in the water from the top to the bottom of the hour; B is bottom to top), we didn't see any signs on the chairs at the Palo Verde pool (the only one we've checked so far). It's been pretty quiet - it's a "workation" for us so we're spending a lot time in the villa. Housekeeping brings whatever we need, although it took a couple of calls to get kitchen items.

I like the 2-3 hour drive a lot better than 6+ to Scottsdale, but I find that I greatly prefer Kierland.

David Yuan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV
WLRx3
HRA
WKORVN-OF
HGVC Elarax3
Yeah we are here too:)
Totally right about the crowds, pools not that busy either....they clear the pool at 12,2 and 4pm for 10 min. After the 4pm pool clear yesterday, everyone just all sort of left...

Like John mentioned, no housekeeping, front desk told me they’d have a midweek tidy if you stay over 10 nights...

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates! Is there any construction going on?

David Yuan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV
WLRx3
HRA
WKORVN-OF
HGVC Elarax3
Thanks for the updates! Is there any construction going on?
I see a lot of empty lot with fence around it, but I have not actually seen or hear any construction going on for the past 3 days.
Could just mean they took a long weekend off thou : )

thanks.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What's an ePlus, please? I haven't seen that before.
With Interval, they offer an option ($ 69 ?) whereby after you've got your exchange, you can re-trade up to 3 more times. For more details, limitations, Flex change considerations etc., go to the FAQs on Interval and/or read the Buyer's guide.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of empty lot with fence around it, but I have not actually seen or hear any construction going on for the past 3 days.
Could just mean they took a long weekend off thou : )

We took the $150 bribe to do an Owner Update and the sales rep told us that Marriott have put a hold on any construction projects. As an aside, most of the presentation was telling us that we'd better do some upgrades to our portfolio now before Marriott take away that feature. Also that the programs won't be merged per se but that access to each company's properties will be enhanced. Some day. He didn't even venture a guess, which was refreshing.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
With Interval, they offer an option ($ 69 ?) whereby after you've got your exchange, you can re-trade up to 3 more times. For more details, limitations, Flex change considerations etc., go to the FAQs on Interval and/or read the Buyer's guide.

I think you are referring to E-Plus. I also think the price varies according to what level of II membership one has. And here is help from dioxide45: What is EPlus & How Does it Work - Interval International Exchange - YouTube

David Yuan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV
WLRx3
HRA
WKORVN-OF
HGVC Elarax3
I just got done with the owner update, they didn't even try to sell us another encore since we already have an open encore... : )
I didn't ask to clarify, is it true that if we buy into Westin flex right now, we can already make reservation with the marritot side of things?
The sales made it sound like that way, I just nodded along...

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I just got done with the owner update, they didn't even try to sell us another encore since we already have an open encore... : )
I didn't ask to clarify, is it true that if we buy into Westin flex right now, we can already make reservation with the marritot side of things?
The sales made it sound like that way, I just nodded along...
No, that's not true. You can exchange via II (with a discounted exchange fee, I think) with MVC properties, but there is no direct reserving of MVC properties.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I just checked - - ePlus is $59 (in the US). I generally buy it for every exchange. With the uncertainty with Covid, I think that it is wise. I "moved" a bunch of res's from last year into this year.
I do as well, often to "uptrade" after getting something I'm satisfied with, but always looking for something higher quality or with a better check-in date for my schedule.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brief report. We were at WDW the last two weeks of April. Thanks to all who answered our questions about what to expect. We declined the offer for an update Our traveling friends accepted and purchased a 4 day "encore" package, good for 2 years. The most significant bit of information confirmed (we saw a sign while there in January of 2020) was that the plans for a waterpark located between the resort and the Desert Willow Golf Clubhouse are proceeding. It seems crazy to us considering the water shortage in the area. It will certainly raise the noise level at the resort.
Weekends(FR-M) seemed near capacity while the balance of the weeks were less crowded. Several 100F plus days warmed the Quiet Pool.;) Masking was common except in the pools or the golf course. The 2 hour protocol was not enforced at the quiet pool. Did not seen any new construction on the resort grounds but noticed a lot of residential units had been completed and others under construction along Country Club Road next to Manor Care.
The grounds were in excellent condition but we sensed that the residential staff was understaffed at this time.
We took a trip over to WMH to see "the wall" and look over the grounds of both the hotel and the Villas. The grounds were excellent but we did not ask to see the inside of a villa. The pool renovation was complete and looked good. About half the chairs were occupied which appeared to be true at the hotel pool also. The grounds seemed very quiet. We hope the the two companies can reach an agreement to allow access between the hotel/TS properties before we return next year.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Brief report. We were at WDW the last two weeks of April. Thanks to all who answered our questions about what to expect. We declined the offer for an update Our traveling friends accepted and purchased a 4 day "encore" package, good for 2 years. The most significant bit of information confirmed (we saw a sign while there in January of 2020) was that the plans for a waterpark located between the resort and the Desert Willow Golf Clubhouse are proceeding. It seems crazy to us considering the water shortage in the area. It will certainly raise the noise level at the resort.
Weekends(FR-M) seemed near capacity while the balance of the weeks were less crowded. Several 100F plus days warmed the Quiet Pool.;) Masking was common except in the pools or the golf course. The 2 hour protocol was not enforced at the quiet pool. Did not seen any new construction on the resort grounds but noticed a lot of residential units had been completed and others under construction along Country Club Road next to Manor Care.
The grounds were in excellent condition but we sensed that the residential staff was understaffed at this time.
We took a trip over to WMH to see "the wall" and look over the grounds of both the hotel and the Villas. The grounds were excellent but we did not ask to see the inside of a villa. The pool renovation was complete and looked good. About half the chairs were occupied which appeared to be true at the hotel pool also. The grounds seemed very quiet. We hope the the two companies can reach an agreement to allow access between the hotel/TS properties before we return next year.
Thanks for the update, I didn’t know about the water park, that’s interesting. Hopefully none of the units will look out onto the water park. It does seem like they did a fantastic job of orienting the villa buildings so that all the views are of the golf course or pools.
the new facility across the gold course next to Manor Care will essentially be senior living apartments woth a bunch of services available on the property. Shouldn’t impact our resort at all. Those units are basically done and I think they’ve started leasing them for future occupancy.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I didn’t know about the water park, that’s interesting. Hopefully none of the units will look out onto the water park. It does seem like they did a fantastic job of orienting the villa buildings so that all the views are of the golf course or pools....
My guess would be that buildings 2, 5 and 10( when completed) would have a view and be most affected.