• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Mission Hills vs. Desert Willow

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I am an owner at WDW and have been for several years, we go a couple of times per year and I have no big complaints about the property. But I recently was booking reservations for the Fall trip and thought maybe it would be interesting to try WMH instead, since we've never stayed there. So I booked that.

Now I've read that there is now a prohibition on WMH timeshare guests stepping onto the hotel property or using its amenities (having not stayed there, I don't know if this is a big issue or not) and I've also seen some posts which complain that WMH is getting old and run down. It is an older property, I know, but I'd be surprised if they are letting it fall into disrepair.

Anyway, I'm now questioning my decision to give WMH a try, and wondering if I should change back to tried-and-true WDW. I'm interested in any thoughts, and especially in updated information on whether an agreement for access has been worked out between the WMH timeshare and hotel properties. If the hotel and its amenities are still off-limits, are there sufficient amenities on the timeshare side to make the loss of hotel amenities a non-issue? It looks like there are only two pools on the timeshare side (WDW has 4 now I think?) so I'm wondering about crowding, etc. I read somewhere that WMH was doing a reservation system for the pool due to Covid — WDW isn't doing that, which makes me think that capacity is more of an issue at WMH. But again, I've never been there, so what do I know?

I also just looked at both properties' Covid updates pages, and both properties say they are now charging a hefty parking fee ($20/night!) I would assume that they can't charge that fee to SVN owners using their ownerships (either home resort or SVN) but am I wrong about that? The page with the parking fee notice does not specify any exceptions to the fee.

Thanks for any thoughts or updated info.

Last edited:

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
If you can deal with the hassle of check out/in, why not do 3 days at WMH, and the rest at WDW?

I haven't been to either, but have WDW booked for April, and had similar research results when picking which to stay at.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
I prefer WDW. One thing WMH has over WDW is that the large units at WMH have their own BBQs. WDW is under equipped in that department to begin with, and they had half blocked for COVID even though they are 6’ apart.

I doubt either charges Vistana stays for parking. In November WDW did not. If you book as a hotel they will charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I’ve been to both many times, and haven’t been to WMH in many years since WDW is much better (for me). The loss of access to the hotel amenities for WMH is the final straw, at least as far as I’m concerned. And, they’ve been charging parking for hotel reservations for years but not for timeshare reservations,

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll switch back to WDW. At least I know I bought at the right property, lol.

Yes, it's stupid that they have half the BBQs at WDW blocked off. They are far apart and how much time do you spend standing there, anyway? I didn't see much sense in it. I was there in October and had to wait to use the BBQ both times I went to use it, completely unnecessarily in my opinion. Most of the other Covid-related changes were sensible, just not that one.

I found another place on the property website where it seems to clarify that the parking charges are just for those renting nightly, probably through Marriott. I don't think they could start charging us for parking, pretty sure we own parking rights. But I wouldn't put it past them to try!

Maybe I'll try WMH for three nights or something just to check it out. But maybe I'll wait until next year and see if they sort out the access issues. It seems a bit odd that the new ownership of the hotel wants to exclude timeshare guests who might spend money on their side of the property, and it seems like the issue with room charges and the like ought to have an easy technology solution.

It seems like a bit of a mess now, several of the amenities listed on the Vistana website for WMH seem to actually be part of the hotel, so they aren't really available to users of the Vistana side (or you can't walk to them?)

Last edited:

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
I own at both WMH and WDW and my wife and I enjoy each of them. Personally, I prefer the "desert feel" of the property layout and architecture as well as overall unit interior design at WDW. On the other hand, my wife prefers the walking paths and the larger footprint of the property at WMH. The premium one BR units are a bit larger at WMH than those at WDW but the smaller 1 BR units are larger at WDW than WMH. At WDW we can walk over to the public restaurant at the adjoining Desert Willows club as the views overlooking the golf course are spectacular and its a fabulous place to enjoy an outdoor breakfast/lunch or happy hour. However, we prefer the Rancho Mirage location of WMH as it closer to Palm Springs and we often have dinner there or in Rancho Mirage. I think both resorts have nice pool areas (note: the WMH main pool area is currently undergoing a renovation until March 31). If you feel like checking out something different I would say try a stay at WMH see what you think - although it may be a bit more "tired looking" it is still a lovely resort and as noted above we enjoy our stays at both places.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been going to the desert over the winter period for many years. WMH had been old and tired for a long time and the only reason I stayed there was that timeshare guests had free access to their golf facility on the hotel side. Since WMH timeshare side no longer has free access to their golf facility, there is zero reason for me to stay there anymore. I am headed out to Marriott Desert Springs for a week (Villas I), followed by 3 nights stay at WDW. I have always preferred WDW to WMH as a timeshare resort.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been going to the desert over the winter period for many years. WMH had been old and tired for a long time and the only reason I stayed there was that timeshare guests had free access to their golf facility on the hotel side. Since WMH timeshare side no longer has free access to their golf facility, there is zero reason for me to stay there anymore. I am headed out to Marriott Desert Springs for a week (Villas I), followed by 3 nights stay at WDW. I have always preferred WDW to WMH as a timeshare resort.
Thanks for the feedback. It seems as if Vistana is investing in renovations at WMH now (pools being resurfaced, all the buildings being painted, etc.) so maybe it will look better when they're done. But it does seem like the loss of reciprocal privileges with the adjacent hotel is a big loss. If I was a WMH owner, I'd be livid.

How does Marriott Desert Springs compare to the Westin properties? I could probably try it out some time via II if it's worth a try.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to own at WMH, bought in 2007. When WDW opened in 2010, we started going there instead, using our SOs. For the reasons mentioned above, primarily architecture, desert feel and layout, we preferred WDW. WMH also doesn't have elevators, which mattered to us pre-COVID, which is another reason we liked WDW better. Finally, I like the quiet pool at WDW, which WMH doesn't have. When we stayed at WMH, I would go to the quiet pool at the hotel next door. That option of course wouldn't be available now. We gave away our WMH ownership a little more than a year ago.

DW still likes WDW a lot, but after a stay at Desert Springs I via II a couple of years ago, it has become my new favorite, along with Embarc. Their villas are very spacious, and we had a terrific view of the golf course and mountains. I recommend trying it sometime.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. It seems as if Vistana is investing in renovations at WMH now (pools being resurfaced, all the buildings being painted, etc.) so maybe it will look better when they're done. But it does seem like the loss of reciprocal privileges with the adjacent hotel is a big loss. If I was a WMH owner, I'd be livid.

How does Marriott Desert Springs compare to the Westin properties? I could probably try it out some time via II if it's worth a try.
We love Marriott's Desert Springs Villas. We usually spend 3 weeks at Desert Springs Villas I every year. The 2BR is the largest in the entire MVC system - I think around 1700 sq ft. The studio side has a separate entrance and has both a walk-in shower and a separate bathtub.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We used to own at WMH, bought in 2007. When WDW opened in 2010, we started going there instead, using our SOs. For the reasons mentioned above, primarily architecture, desert feel and layout, we preferred WDW. WMH also doesn't have elevators, which mattered to us pre-COVID, which is another reason we liked WDW better. Finally, I like the quiet pool at WDW, which WMH doesn't have. When we stayed at WMH, I would go to the quiet pool at the hotel next door. That option of course wouldn't be available now. We gave away our WMH ownership a little more than a year ago.

DW still likes WDW a lot, but after a stay at Desert Springs I via II a couple of years ago, it has become my new favorite, along with Embarc. Their villas are very spacious, and we had a terrific view of the golf course and mountains. I recommend trying it sometime.

My experience was very similar. My first week was WMH but I got rid of it when it didn’t fit with my needs a few years later, and visited WMH and WDW via Interval getaways and SO bookings.

I remember the WMH adult pool, but it was small and wasn’t monitored so you can guess what happened.

WDW was much too concrete in the early years, but I’ve learned to like it. I also prefer their small 1-bed (especially the corner units since they have an extra window in the living room), as I think the large 1-beds were poorly designed (the living area is small relative to the total space and I hate having to tilt my neck to watch tv since they put it too high up).

I’ve also stayed at Shadow Ridge, Shadow Ridge Enclave, Marriott DS I and II, and Embarq. Embarq is nice, DS I & II always feel dated to me but it’s maintained quite nice, Shadow Ridge is a typical Marriott (ie. not as nice as WDW) and SR Enclave is a step up from SR (at the time they had a salt water pool, which I enjoy) but the units felt like they installed finished products from the lowest bidder and it shows (I also disliked the sliding door separating the living space to the bedroom in the 1-bed unit). But, any of them are great for II getaways when they’re priced right.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I appreciate all the feedback. The individual BBQs at WMH are a nice perk, but given everything that's going on at WMH with access issues, etc. – I cancelled and rebooked at WDW for the same period. I can't get excited about packing up and moving mid-vacation so decided against doing just a few days at WMH.

I have a four-night "encore package" that I got talked into last year, maybe I'll use that at WMH at some point.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We split our time between both Westin resorts when in the Coachella Valley. Before going further, I should state that I gave up golf in the interest of public safety. That being said we appreciate the features of both unique properties. We usually start at DW and end at MH. Grilling on the veranda (one bedroom premium?)is convenient and the smaller, one bedroom unit seems much larger. It may be a function of nothing more than design.
I will also add that there is one building at WMH with an elevator.

Last edited:

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be there soon. Is anyone at one of these resorts now?

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here at WMH now.
Not crowded.
Great weather.
Both Villas pools open.
Hot tub and slide closed.
No problem walking on walk path to hotel.
Offered $150 to go to WDW for Owners Update - declined.
Seasons restaurant at main pool closed.

Almost all business' at "The River" closed and empty.
El Paseo open but not crowded.

Last edited:

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Checking into WDW next Monday. First timer.

Just had my pre-checkin call from vistana and similar to above:
All the pools open, byo cooler ok - no glass. Bar by main pool is open for take away
slides and hot tubs closed.
no restaurants/gyms/market yet.
Also offered $150 visa card and declined.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Here at WMH now.
Not crowded.
Great weather.
Both Villas pools open.
Hot tub and slide closed.
No problem walking on walk path to hotel.
Offered $150 to go to WDW for Owners Update - declined.
Seasons restaurant at main pool closed.

Almost all business' at "The River" closed and empty.
El Paseo open but not crowded.

So has the sign on the walk path been removed that previously was there and said villas owners could not pass that point?

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were at WDW in October and will be there again beginning a week from Friday. I got contacted and am a little disappointed that they haven’t reopened the snack bar or servers at the Ironwood pool, or the gym; basically everything is the same as it was in October I think. Hopefully when California lifts all of the restrictions on June 15, they will reopen everything at the resorts.

I let myself get talked into making an appointment for an owner update; I just sat through one a month ago in Maui, but they’re apparently happy to pay for another shot at me. I’ll practice saying no a lot between now and then. :p

David Yuan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV
WLRx3
HRA
WKORVN-OF
HGVC Elarax3
How's WDW this week? is it pretty busy?
We are going tomorrow...can't wait : )

thanks!

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How's WDW this week? is it pretty busy?
We are going tomorrow...can't wait : )

thanks!
I have heard it’s basically full but am not there now. We go back again next Friday.

Have a great time!

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
I am at WMH now and there is a big sign with the walkway path blocked towards the hotel side. You have to drive and park at the hotel side for the restaurant. WMH Pools are scheduled every 4 hours block, both pools are open. I would avoid staying at WMH in the future due to loss of access / amenities of the hotel side.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I am at WMH now and there is a big sign with the walkway path blocked towards the hotel side. You have to drive and park at the hotel side for the restaurant. WMH Pools are scheduled every 4 hours block, both pools are open. I would avoid staying at WMH in the future due to loss of access / amenities of the hotel side.
Any chance we can a pic of the sign? Your description is so different than Duke's, and you're both there now. Walking on the path down to the hotel is something we enjoy, so I'd really like to know if it's doable or not.

Thanks!

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can always pass beside the rails that was put in place. The question there if it is worth it, since
It is considered trespassing..... I wont risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Any chance we can a pic of the sign? Your description is so different than Duke's, and you're both there now. Walking on the path down to the hotel is something we enjoy, so I'd really like to know if it's doable or not.

Thanks!
Hope this helps.... the sign and the 2 rails are attached by a chain both above and below. If you decide to pass , make sure you don't trip. The only thing I did not look if the hotel guest can access the opposite way. I am not sure if the sign is back to back Lol...

Attachments

• A4F6E454-CE14-4F5A-868D-1814130A504D.jpeg
    A4F6E454-CE14-4F5A-868D-1814130A504D.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 196
  • E9541BF8-16D7-4CDC-B038-9DEF59B1F1F7.jpeg
    E9541BF8-16D7-4CDC-B038-9DEF59B1F1F7.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 192