• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WALK-THROUGH - HAWAII'S NEW TRAVEL POLICY: My experience traveling to Hawaii

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
After you upload your test it will say approaval pending and soon after it will say yes under quarantine exemption. Save that email as you need it for check in at the hotel.
So how soon is "soon?" I uploaded a scanned PDF of the test results from an approved partner this morning at about 10:00am. It's now 6:30pm and it still says "verification in progress." Same for my wife's account and my daughter's account. How long does it take for the Safe Travels website to show the test as negative?

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
One more thing - your test needs to be saved as a pdf before uploading to safe travels. Screenshots won't work because the resolution is wrong.
Deleted. Duplicate.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
So how soon is "soon?" I uploaded a scanned PDF of the test results from an approved partner this morning at about 10:00am. It's now 6:30pm and it still says "verification in progress." Same for my wife's account and my daughter's account. How long does it take for the Safe Travels website to show the test as negative?

It changes right away. I think I uploaded it again and made sure I only uploaded the first page. I think that’s what the instructions say. I tried two or three times so it doesn’t matter how many times you upload. Once it’s the right format it will accept it right away.

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
It changes right away. I think I uploaded it again and made sure I only uploaded the first page. I think that’s what the instructions say. I tried two or three times so it doesn’t matter how May times you upload. Once it’s the right format it will accept it right away.
THANK YOU. So I did that -- just uploaded again. But I changed the "form type" to "standard" instead of "provider." Immediate negative!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
THANK YOU. So I did that -- just uploaded again. But I changed the "form type" to "standard" instead of "provider." Immediate negative!

Awesome, glad it worked. Now you’ll get your QR code and you can relax!!

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the current status of our Safe Travels account. At which point does it show we're exempt from quarantine? After being screened? Thanks in advance.

uploadeddocs.PNG
qrcode.PNG

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Virtually the same here:

1611812165418.png

I believe once they screen you at the airport it changes to Yes.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Virtually the same here:

View attachment 31623

I believe once they screen you at the airport it changes to Yes.
So we went through everything today. Yes, immediately after the agent at the airport checks your ID and scans your QR, the Screened changes to YES and turns green (after you refresh). You don’t HAVE to have the QR code on your computer — they can scan a printout also, I had both and used both because my daughter was having a problem connecting. (I did a screen grab and pasted it into a new PDF then printed, and used that printout.) For three of us it took perhaps 3-4 minutes to clear through the check.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
My niece came to visit us while we are staying at WKORV. She arrived Wednesday. We registered her at the resort so she would be recognized if she needed something without us around. During that process, the front desk needed to see an approved quarantine exemption form. The printed copy she brought from home was not enough. She had to sign into the SafeTravels web site and show the page with the quarantine exemption approved. It was no big deal, but I wanted to highlight that just a printout from before leaving for the airport is not enough to check into a hotel or rent a car. I think the car rental companies also want to see the approved quarantine exemption. When I arrived in early December, they were giving out a pink sheet that hotels and rental car agencies wanted to see. Now they want to see the page from the SafeTravels site or a new printout with the exemption approved.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
My niece came to visit us while we are staying at WKORV. She arrived Wednesday. We registered her at the resort so she would be recognized if she needed something without us around. During that process, the front desk needed to see an approved quarantine exemption form. The printed copy she brought from home was not enough. She had to sign into the SafeTravels web site and show the page with the quarantine exemption approved. It was no big deal, but I wanted to highlight that just a printout from before leaving for the airport is not enough to check into a hotel or rent a car. I think the car rental companies also want to see the approved quarantine exemption. When I arrived in early December, they were giving out a pink sheet that hotels and rental car agencies wanted to see. Now they want to see the page from the SafeTravels site or a new printout with the exemption approved.
That's all correct. A printout will get you through at the airport, then they trigger your Safe Travels trip showing that you are exempt from quarantine. From that point on you show the trip page from the Safe Travels website to show that you have cleared the airport and determined to be exempt from quarantine.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
That's all correct. A printout will get you through at the airport, then they trigger your Safe Travels trip showing that you are exempt from quarantine. From that point on you show the trip page from the Safe Travels website to show that you have cleared the airport and determined to be exempt from quarantine.

I had been mystified why the car rental companies and resorts did not have code readers, but I learned yesterday that once it is scanned at the airport it cannot be scanned again. I will need to go through this again on Kauai and it does seem that they want to see it from the email QR code on a mobile device and not a paper copy so am still confused about what and when we can use a paper copy pre- or post- airport.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The printed copy from before you arrive doesn't say you are approved to be exempt from quarantine. Once you are checked at the airport, the online form changes to say you are exempt. Unless you print the form AFTER you are checked in at the gate, you need to show the QR code from the Safe Travels web site so the person checking can see the exemption.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The printed copy from before you arrive doesn't say you are approved to be exempt from quarantine. Once you are checked at the airport, the online form changes to say you are exempt. Unless you print the form AFTER you are checked in at the gate, you need to show the QR code from the Safe Travels web site so the person checking can see the exemption.

Ah, got it Henry. That is the piece I was missing. Thanks.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
To be more clear, it’s not the QR code they need to see... its where it says (in green now, not red) that you’re exempt from quarantine. It says “Yes” by “Screened.” So they say they need to see your QR code, what they really mean is just under the code where it says you are cleared and don’t have to quarantine.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To be more clear, it’s not the QR code they need to see... its where it says (in green now, not red) that you’re exempt from quarantine. It says “Yes” by “Screened.” So they say they need to see your QR code, what they really mean is just under the code where it says you are cleared and don’t have to quarantine.

Yes, one of the agents told me they need to see what is written below the QR code so this all makes sense now. When we got here I had this naive idea that I would just keep showing the QR code at Hertz, Westin etc and I was flabbergasted (and annoyed ) that no one had QR readers and no one explained any of this at the time. Glad to know what is happening now.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes, one of the agents told me they need to see what is written below the QR code so this all makes sense now. When we got here I had this naive idea that I would just keep showing the QR code at Hertz, Westin etc and I was flabbergasted that no one had QR readers and no one explained any of this.

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe already covered somewhere but in addition to military, essential worker and flight crew exemptions, you can get an exemption if you had and recovered from COVID within 90 days pre travel, in which case you would receive and enter an exemption code.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tatmtr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Platinum Ocean Pointe, Platinum Desert Springs 1, Marbella, Chairmans Club, MarriottVacationClub Points, Paradise Village, Mx.
Any updates for those of us traveling fully vaccinated?

gejone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding the lack of QR readers at hotels and rental car counters. Open the QR code on your phone, swipe up and your uploaded test result will show. I used that twice on our last trip and I could tell that was a known procedure.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Any more mumbles or rumors about Hawaii loosening travel restrictions for those who have been vaccinated? I really want to book but refuse to commit to anything until I know we won’t have to jump through the testing hoops!

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Any more mumbles or rumors about Hawaii loosening travel restrictions for those who have been vaccinated? I really want to book but refuse to commit to anything until I know we won’t have to jump through the testing hoops!
I suspect it's going to be a while. Hawaii has been very conservative in its approach, and aggressive in trying to keep COVID out. I cannot imagine them being at the front of the line to implement a new protocol to allow people INTO Hawaii. I can imagine, for instance, that they'd want to know what the number of "breakthru" cases are (vaccinated individuals that then become infected) compared with the number of infected people that the 3-day advance negative testing misses. In other words, is the vaccine AS or MORE effective at keeping infected travelers out as their current testing protocol?

Then there is the more pragmatic logistics of it all and ensuring valid data. Look at the hoops you have to go through to PROVE a dog is protected from Rabies before you can bring a dog in, as if a large number of dogs are (i) brought in and (ii) bite people when they are there. Nonetheless, it is quite a process to absolutely guarantee nobody can bring a dog with Rabies into Hawaii. I'm not sure they will be less demanding with people and COVID.

As a fully vaccinated family, I'm all with you and hope they do this and the sooner the better. I'm just not optimistic it will be soon.

That said, the idea that you've tested and come to Ohau, but if you've been in Oahu for a week and then have to test AGAIN to go to another island, well, that should go now, effective immediately. The risk of becoming infected IN Oahu is very very low, and the other islands can readily handle the very minimal contract tracing or medical care that very low risk presents. It is just an unnecessary burden and expense making inter-island travel less desirable, which hurts the state.

dmelcher13

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Here is some interesting verbiage from the EIGHTEENTH PROCLAMATION RELATED TO THE COVID-19 EMERGENCY.

2. Self-Quarantine Exceptions
or (3) upon the establishment of an exception by the Director of HIEMA, persons who, prior to departure to the State, upload into the State’s Safe Travels program or otherwise provide written hard copy validation that they have completed a vaccine regimen approved by DOH. This third exception is not available as of the date of this Proclamation, requires action by the Director of HIEMA and details will be posted at https://hawaiicovid19.com/. Persons under the age of five accompanied by a traveler who meets existing test exceptions are not required to obtain a test prior to arrival.

It sounds like something is in the works for a vaccination exception.

Dave

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Here is some interesting verbiage from the EIGHTEENTH PROCLAMATION RELATED TO THE COVID-19 EMERGENCY.

2. Self-Quarantine Exceptions
or (3) upon the establishment of an exception by the Director of HIEMA, persons who, prior to departure to the State, upload into the State’s Safe Travels program or otherwise provide written hard copy validation that they have completed a vaccine regimen approved by DOH. This third exception is not available as of the date of this Proclamation, requires action by the Director of HIEMA and details will be posted at https://hawaiicovid19.com/. Persons under the age of five accompanied by a traveler who meets existing test exceptions are not required to obtain a test prior to arrival.

It sounds like something is in the works for a vaccination exception.

Dave
That is interesting. Nothing posted at the website in weeks though. Not even a new bulletin since Feb. 16.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
The discussion at the moment is on inter-island travel. Last week we had 3 "breakthru" cases are (vaccinated individuals that then become infected) from residents that traveled to the mainland.