• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WALK-THROUGH - HAWAII'S NEW TRAVEL POLICY: My experience traveling to Hawaii

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course. I think that is a form letter. What I've read so far is that Vault typically provides results within 24 hours for airline travel. The UPS envelope they provided had a bright neon-pink sticker that the test supervisor inoticed and mentioned is used to indicate priority for processing. They try to get to those right away when the package comes in.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The saga continues! My wife's results came in at 6:30 pm CST, just over 8 hours after they got the test sample. However, mine is not back yet.

The e-mail has the test result, but you have to log back into the Vault account to download a pdf of the results. You click where it says "Order" and the original package was listed. The test results and a file to submit for reimbursement are listed there. You can download the pdf from there and the upload it at the Safe Travels site.

Hopefully my results will come in over the night.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Success!

My own test results arrived this morning, just as I was getting ready to cancel my flights to leave tomorrow instead. I'm on the plane now.

I had to leave the house around 6:15 am and the test result arrived at 5:31 am. I was sitting in front of my computer and did some other things before calling the airline. I was in the process of dialing when the e-mail came.

The Vault site has some explanation why different samples take different amount of time to process. Sometimes results are inconclusive and the sample needs to be tested again, sometimes they can't get a good result, etc.

All in all, Vault did come through. First result was received a little over 9 hours after UPS delivered the samples, and the second result took a little over 20 hours.

The samples were shipped to Piscataway, NJ.

Last edited:

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast (Platinum Plus and Platinum), Marriott Mountainside (ski week), Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina (week 34,35 and 49,50), DSV 2 (red)
Success!

My own test results arrived this morning, just as I was getting ready to cancel my flights to leave tomorrow instead. I'm on the plane now.

I had to leave the house around 6:15 am and the test result arrived at 5:31 am. I was sitting in front of my computer and did some other things before calling the airline. I was in the process of dialing when the e-mail came.

The Vault site has some explanation why different samples take different amount of time to process. Sometimes results are inconclusive and the sample needs to be tested again, sometimes they can't get a good result, etc.

All in all, Vault did come through. First result was received a little over 9 hours after UPS delivered the samples, and the second result took a little over 20 hours.

The samples were shipped to Piscataway, NJ.
That is awesome! We just took our Vault test this morning (Wednesday). It is my understanding that Vault does not put a timestamp on the test so it does not have to be 72 hours exactly, it just has to be 3 days before. Henry can you confirm that there was no timestamp on the test taken? Our departing flight to OGG leaves the west coast at 1:40 pm Pacific Coast time Saturday, but we took our test this morning and and dropped our tests off at the UPS Store. I was reading on other forums that sometimes the wait to get tested could be an hour or two and I wanted to make sure we got our test off to the UPS center before the last pickup time. I have also read on the forums that a Bright pink sticker indicates it is for Hawaii. My test had a bright pink sticker on it but my wife and two children did not. I went to the store and bought some extra pink stickers to put on the packages and box. I also wrote "stat Hawaii" on the stickers as others have suggested.
As a backup, this afternoon I have an appointment to get tested with Costco (Azova). This one has a set appointment time (3:45 central time) so I am confident we can get this test off safely before the last pickup. I don't know about others but ever since I took the test this morning I am a bit paranoid. Every little itch in my throat, rumble in my belly, or ache makes me worry that I have covid-19. I will update and let others know how things went just for another data point.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
That is awesome! We just took our Vault test this morning (Wednesday). It is my understanding that Vault does not put a timestamp on the test so it does not have to be 72 hours exactly, it just has to be 3 days before. Henry can you confirm that there was no timestamp on the test taken? Our departing flight to OGG leaves the west coast at 1:40 pm Pacific Coast time Saturday, but we took our test this morning and and dropped our tests off at the UPS Store. I was reading on other forums that sometimes the wait to get tested could be an hour or two and I wanted to make sure we got our test off to the UPS center before the last pickup time. I have also read on the forums that a Bright pink sticker indicates it is for Hawaii. My test had a bright pink sticker on it but my wife and two children did not. I went to the store and bought some extra pink stickers to put on the packages and box. I also wrote "stat Hawaii" on the stickers as others have suggested.
As a backup, this afternoon I have an appointment to get tested with Costco (Azova). This one has a set appointment time (3:45 central time) so I am confident we can get this test off safely before the last pickup. I don't know about others but ever since I took the test this morning I am a bit paranoid. Every little itch in my throat, rumble in my belly, or ache makes me worry that I have covid-19. I will update and let others know how things went just for another data point.
They do not check any timestamp at the airport, at least not at OGG, not when we came through last week. Actually they seem overwhelmed just processing everyone. I agree scheduling a backup test is a good idea, especially with the surge in cases on the mainland.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can confirm that the test result only states the date taken, and not the time.

The agent had me put both test samples in one box/mailer and write on the box there were two individual samples. You could have fit a couple more in there. Both mailers I received had pink stickers on the outside envelope. The agent said there was no need to write anything, since the pink sticker already meant the tests were for Hawaii travel and should be processed as quickly as possible.

It would be less stressful to travel any day other than Tuesday or Wednesday, so there is more time to send the test sample in. Saturday pickups can be tricky for a Tuesday departure, and the only option for Wednesday travel is a Monday shipment, which only allows for a day of processing time with few hiccups.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I can confirm that the test result only states the date taken, and not the time.

The agent had me put both test samples in one box/mailer and write on the box there were two individual samples. You could have fit a couple more in there. Both mailers I received had pink stickers on the outside envelope. The agent said there was no need to write anything, since the pink sticker already meant the tests were for Hawaii travel and should be processed as quickly as possible.

It would be less stressful to travel any day other than Tuesday or Wednesday, so there is more time to send the test sample in. Saturday pickups can be tricky for a Tuesday departure, and the only option for Wednesday travel is a Monday shipment, which only allows for a day of processing time with few hiccups.
I see that as a big point... best to travel Thur, Fri or Sat. That gives you the benefit of the full available time. I suspect Vault isn't being swamped by the surge as much as Quest, LabCorp and other more mainstream labs, so that's probably helping them keep to their Hawaii-priority schedule.

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast (Platinum Plus and Platinum), Marriott Mountainside (ski week), Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina (week 34,35 and 49,50), DSV 2 (red)
With Vault....the nurse today said the volume is down...It was really busy for Thanksgiving travel. Hope this means they can turn my test around in a timely fashion.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect many are putting off coming to Hawaii with the tightening restrictions. It can be stressful to wait for test results, even with the full 3 days available.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Arriving in Maui was very easy. I looked at my watch as I was exiting the plane and again when I got to the ground floor to go to the tram that takes you to the rental cars. It took all of four minutes to walk to the gate, then up a slight incline to where the checkers are, show the QR code and then down the escalator.

The gate was close to the checkers. We were on American Airlines Premium Economy, just behind first class. First class was full, but the rest of the plane was 1/2 to 2/3 full. There were no other flights ahead of us.

I had uploaded everything needed (pictures, COVID test results, trip information) to the Safe Travels site and had the QR code at the Safe Travels site ready on our iPhones. The lady scanned them with an iPad, looked at our drivers license and gave us the pink sheet you need to pick up a car and check into your lodging, all in less than a minute. We did not have anybody in front of us, and there were perhaps a dozen stations to service everyone.

Last edited:

ared505

Reaction score
It's 12/20 and our time on the Big Island starts 1/9. Coming from New Mexico, we have a layover and flight from Phoenix to HI at 9:30am. The timing causes anxiety. The Walmart/Qwest testing partnership is no more, and Walgreens discourages Hawaii travelers testing because they can't promise results in time. Costco and CVS could work, but specimen pick up isn't till ~6pm. Turnaround used to say 24-48 hrs from receipt, now says 48-72 hrs. With labs getting slammed, we're discouraged and plan to cancel tomorrow. ☹️

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to begin 4 week stay at Ko-Olina on January 3.
After inviting 4 different friends to join me for the first week -- it looks like I am going alone. After reading stories of stressful waiting for results (and considering the possibility of a false positive) I'm considering not testing and just accepting ten day quarantine. Am I crazy?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I'm scheduled to begin 4 week stay at Ko-Olina on January 3.
After inviting 4 different friends to join me for the first week -- it looks like I am going alone. After reading stories of stressful waiting for results (and considering the possibility of a false positive) I'm considering not testing and just accepting ten day quarantine. Am I crazy?
Yes. There is no downside to testing. Maybe you’ll avoid quarantine. No reason to just assume you won’t get a timely result. Not sure about your area, but around here we have a trusted partner doing rapid tests with results in about 30 minutes. Maybe you can find someone offering that.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Walgreens offers a rapid test in some locations. If there is one near you, you should get the results in a few hours.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
After reading stories of stressful waiting for results (and considering the possibility of a false positive) I'm considering not testing and just accepting ten day quarantine. Am I crazy?
False negatives are more likely than false positives, and I imagine quarantine will get old quickly. Hard to see the downside of getting tested.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. There is no downside to testing. Maybe you’ll avoid quarantine. No reason to just assume you won’t get a timely result. Not sure about your area, but around here we have a trusted partner doing rapid tests with results in about 30 minutes. Maybe you can find someone offering that.
Thanks. I will look for that. Since my flight departs on 01/03, I was concerned about Holiday delay on 01/01.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Thanks. I will look for that. Since my flight departs on 01/03, I was concerned about Holiday delay on 01/01.

Good decision. We leave 1/17 and although I would quarantine if I had to, by all means make an attempt to get tested. 10 days in your hotel room 24/7 would not be fun! We love Ko Olina so have a great time.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doing Island hopping, do I have to get a new test on every island?
So arriving Oahu, then going to Maui, then to the Hawaii (Big Island) and the Kauai (assuming they go back to normal)
The way I read it, I have to get test before coming to Oahu from States. Then another a test in Oahu to go to Maui, a test in Maui to go to Big Island then another test to go to Kauai?
Is that correct?

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
So arriving Oahu, then going to Maui, then to the Hawaii (Big Island) and the Kauai (assuming they go back to normal)
The way I read it, I have to get test before coming to Oahu from States. Then another a test in Oahu to go to Maui, a test in Maui to go to Big Island then another test to go to Kauai?
Is that correct?
The order matters. No test going going to Oahu from neighboring islands. Might be easier to go to Maui or BI first.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Is that correct?

Yes, you need one at each stop. Like 10spro said, you can avoid one coming to Oahu from one of the other islands. It’s not the best time to island hop.

Last edited:

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Yws, you need one at each stop. Like 10spro said, you can avoid one coming to Oahu from one of the other islands. It’s not the best time to island hop.
Totally agree with Jeff. In addition to having to test within 72 hours of travelling, at your cost, you will lose a day of vacation per hop. 4 islands, 4 days of lost vacation.

Kfp13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
MVC Destinations Points
Just returned from Maui and had multiple family members flying in so multiple tests in different geographic locations.

Here are my Lessons Learned/Take Away’s :
Walgreens
- their drive through worked well although you need to watch the online calendar as they only open test appointments 3-4 days out. We found that if there are multiple people you can go in one vehicle which allows you to knock out 2-3 family members test at one time. Insurance is reimbursing so for many people it will be at no charge. Took between 18-22 hours and 2 days for tests results. Make sure you also loan the Walgreens app as test results appeared faster there. Print out hard copy as the Wi-Fi in the airport gets slow.

Costco/Azova- tests were purchased online you want the one with video verification because it’s the only one Hawaii accepts, current cost is $139. This is a slightly different tests as its Saliva in a tube vs Swab up the nose, but both methods are accepted by Hawaii provided you use one of their approved vendors. Our East Coast family member got great turnaround of less than 28 hours, but that maybe because Lab was in Savanah. The Colorado tests were delayed by ice storm in Louisville and UPS delays. Strongly suggest if you go with this one to drive it to the main UPS sort location to give you a better chance of no sorting delays. Also, UPS in many locations doesn't deliver on Sundays so factor this into your planning. Also, at the time we registered they weren't doing COVID-19 tests for anyone under 18. This may have changed.

American Airlines/Let’s Get Checked- we purchased their online tests through Let’s Get Checked. They know as part of your test registration that you are flying on American, and the date and time of your flight. It appeared tests results were given priority to those whose flights were rapidly approaching. We got their results in under 48 hours. We also had one member do the rapid test at the DFW Airport, Terminal D, which is limited to those flying to Hawaii. It is the most expensive option but start to finish it took 22 minutes and walked out with printed negative test results and walked 2 gates away to board the plane.

Other Steps to Take in Advance:
1. You need to Register with State of Hawaii- Safe Travels and load their app onto your smartphone. The airport process is expedited if you have pre-loaded the app and QR code onto your phone. The state approval once granted in the airport shows you have been passed , do not need to quarantine, and is how you will be able to show the hotel and rental car that you have been cleared.

2. Another great resource is aloha@hawaii-guide.com, as there are answers to many questions, its frequently updated and it addresses the constantly changing rules.

3. Once the flight arrives those seated forward, Business Class and Premium Economy got queued up first and they cleared a good 30-45 minutes before those in the back of the plane. So, if possible, a seat towards the front of the plane may aid how long you are in line.

4. Remember to have some battery left on your cell phone and to take it off airplane mode so you can access the airport Wi-Fi to pull up the state of Hawaii site when you get to the counter where your documents are reviewed.

5. Also keep your mask on as you deplane and all the time in the airport

Yes, it’s a different process and a bit of a hassle but it was still great to be in 80-degree weather, with blue skies and whales visible. After a tough year I would gladly do all this again for the time we had in Hawaii.
Hope this information helps, as many other Tuggers have helped us over the years!
Enjoy and Aloha

Garden115

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went through the tests and uploads, questionnaire and when flying direct from SEA to OGG, we were given wrist bands and upon arrival were given our own lane straight through to baggage. Others had to wait in line to show proof and ID. This was Alaska Airlines. I suggest one goes through all the steps.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I went through the tests and uploads, questionnaire and when flying direct from SEA to OGG, we were given wrist bands and upon arrival were given our own lane straight through to baggage. Others had to wait in line to show proof and ID. This was Alaska Airlines. I suggest one goes through all the steps.

Very helpful. We are flying SFO-OGG next Sunday and are getting our testing done through UA at the airport (before the flight). We have the HI website link set up and will bring paper copies as well (thank you GregT). I hope it goes this smoothly.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Me, my wife, and our 19 year old are going to Honolulu Jan 28. I know I must create an account for each of us in the Safe Travels website. The question I have goes to the "Trips" section.

I choose that and "Add Trip." In the Add Trip section it asks basic info about the upcoming trip. Here is where I am uncertain, where it asks for "Quarantine Exemption Approval ID." What is that? How do you get that? Is that something you can only enter AFTER uploading your negative test results? If so, does that mean you can only create a trip after your test and right before you depart? I was hoping to have all this done ahead of time.

1610557717582.png