• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Urgent need some truth/help here...

ushulu

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at the Westin Ocean Villa now. Thinking of buying a week, suppose to sign the contract tomorrow....they told us today that the resale owner can NOT exchange in their network. They can only stay at where their deed is. If they want to change inside Westin network, they have to do it through II. Is this true? Thank you so much!!

They also said no exchange to hotel points, which I am ok with....and no exchange to Marriott locations (as they are merging now)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Do not do this - wait. Certainly wait until official announcements.
Research first - like you are doing.
Resale Mandatory Resorts will still have VSN unless their Legal Dept wants multiple lawsuits.

I bet you Sales won’t put what they claim in writing…

Otherwise - just rent from owners.
Rescind
Research
Resale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
It sounds like you love the resort, so that's great, but definitely don't sign the contract. What are they trying to sell you and for what price, if you don't mind me asking? Whatever it is, you can do your research and buy resale when you are ready, or buy retail some day when you have all the facts in writing about the merger. There is no hurry to buy now, so don't let them rush you.

ushulu

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you love the resort, so that's great, but definitely don't sign the contract. What are they trying to sell you and for what price, if you don't mind me asking? Whatever it is, you can do your research and buy resale when you are ready, or buy retail some day when you have all the facts in writing about the merger. There is no hurry to buy now, so don't let them rush you.

1 bedroom ocean view every year 30k. We are not sure if we can exchange with other properties inside Westin...they said we can't...unless do it through II...

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
1 bedroom ocean view every year 30k. We are not sure if we can exchange with other properties inside Westin...they said we can't...unless do it through II...

I don't think they are really selling a 1br deed to you. They are probably selling points at either Nanea or in one of their Flex programs, and the amount of points they are selling is probably enough to book a 1br. Don't do it.

If you buy a resale deed for 1br or 2br at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, it will come with StarOptions that can be used to book anything available in the Vistana network, without going via Interval.

And 1br Ocean View every year is going to cost you less than $10k resale.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
30k points won’t get you anything. Don’t sign and just enjoy your stay now. After your vacation, do more research and buy resale. It will save you 80-90%.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
The south and north properties are mandatory resorts and retail or resale purchases come with StarOptions to trade within the SVN. Nanea is not mandatory, so resales don’t come with StarOptions. Are they trying to sell you a week at Nanea? Where do you want to travel to? Don’t buy or sign anything. Take your time and research and figure out what will work for you and your family. Never finance a timeshare, either, since the interest rates on those loans are very high.

cindylou

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV - 2 DOF, 2 OF
Sheraton Lakeside Terrace Villas at Mountain Vista - 2 winter, 1 summer, 1 shoulder
Not true. Do not buy from the developer. There are many ways you can stay at that resort without buying from the developer.

ushulu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are really selling a 1br deed to you. They are probably selling points at either Nanea or in one of their Flex programs, and the amount of points they are selling is probably enough to book a 1br. Don't do it.

If you buy a resale deed for 1br or 2br at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, it will come with StarOptions that can be used to book anything available in the Vistana network, without going via Interval.

And 1br Ocean View every year is going to cost you less than $10k resale.

You are right! It is a flex program, but they do list the 81k options there....My husband likes the 'deed' concept feels we gurantee a week here in Maui, but they are telling us we deed in three properties (the south, the north and the nea...something...) Thank you!!!

ushulu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all of your help!!! Really apprecaite! Almost 30k down the drain tomorrow...I think we shall buy a resale now to try it out. if it doesn't work out, we can resell the resale without losing much! Thank you so much

rrsafety

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all of your help!!! Really apprecaite! Almost 30k down the drain tomorrow...I think we shall buy a resale now to try it out. if it doesn't work out, we can resell the resale without losing much! Thank you so much
When you find a potential resale to buy, make sure you come back to TUG to discuss the pros and cons of the deal before purchasing.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have received a lot of solid, timely and free advice from this community, saving you money.
The only other suggestion I will make is to become a member of TUG, to keep this site available and up to date.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Do not do this - wait. Certainly wait until official announcements.
Research first - like you are doing.
Resale Mandatory Resorts will still have VSN unless their Legal Dept wants multiple lawsuits.

I bet you Sales won’t put what they claim in writing…

Otherwise - just rent from owners.
Rescind
Research
Resale

@DavidnRobin I may make a tshirt with this!
Rescind
Research
Resale

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Is it a Nenea contract?

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you buy resale WKORV, you will get access to the staroptions and be able to book at other resorts in the VSN at 8 months

ushulu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a 3yr membership...but stills says I am guest...anyway...I might be a bit off topic now...

About Marriott timeshare....
I heard if I buy Marriott resale deeded week, I can only stay in where I bought, and I can only exchange with other Marriott properties in II not internally. is that true?

Also, If I bought Marriott points, is everyone who has the same amount of points have the same timeline to book? In other words, If I bought from Maui (because like Maui more), do I have the same time frame to book compared with people who bought in Florida? (Worry about the fight and couldn't get the Maui spot...which makes buying deeded week more appealing to guarantee a spot here...)

Thank you so much

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
I bought a 3yr membership...but stills says I am guest...anyway...I might be a bit off topic now...

I heard if I buy Marriott resale deeded week, I can only stay in where I bought, and I can only exchange with other Marriott properties in II not internally. is that true?

Also, If I bought Marriott points, is everyone who has the same amount of points have the same timeline to book? In other words, If I bought from Maui (because like Maui more), do I have the same time frame to book compared with people who bought in Florida? (Worry about the fight and couldn't get the Maui spot...which makes buying deeded week more appealing to guarantee a spot here...)

Thank you so much
I am only responding to the Marriott Week portion of your post, you can have a deeded week at your Home Resort" and have a 12-month window to book if you only have one week. If you purchase Destination Points, you can reserve through DP but it depends on how many you have. Having said that, please take a breath and slow down. Please purchase a TUG membership and do the research on the different systems to see what fits with your needs and lifestyle. There should not be a rush to purchase since time and research will only help you understand the differences.

Good luck but do not purchase from the developer.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had a Marriott salesperson tell me if I bought Destination Points from her at such and such resort, the points would have preference at such and such resort.
To say it nicely, she was not misinformed, she was lying.
If you are certain you want to go to a certain resort during a certain season, buy a resale deeded week in your season.
You will have to book at the start of your season, to get the week you want, but there is a week at that resort in your name.
You do lose the advantage of the point system, but there are plenty of people that are complaining that they cannot find reservations at the resort they want during the time period they want.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You are on Maui now, correct? Go to The Cannery Mall, which is the mall by Safeway in Lahaina. See Syed Sarmad or one of the brokers. Advantagevacation.com is their website. That is how you get your deeded week that you can use every year, and for a much better price. See Syed and buy yourselves something that will be worth next year what you pay today.

That timeshare for $30,000 from Westin direct will be worth 30% of what you paid (or less) as soon as you are past that rescission period.

I wouldn't buy anything from Westin direct right now with the website malfunctions that are happening, even if they offered me a deal that was as good as Syed can do.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Buy a Westin kaanapali deeded week resale. You can use the options in the network. For the 30K you were going to spend you can buy an oceanfront.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Thank you so much

Contact an Admin like @DeniseM about TUG membership - there is a fix for this.

Also - I’d advise not to buy a 1Bd WKORV (resale) - the MFs per StarOption is not a good value.
For a few dollars more in MFs - the studio side gives you an extra 67.1K StarOptions.

We’re they really trying to sell you a deeded WKORV VOI (vacation ownership interval)? That is odd.
You sure it wasn’t WestinFlex they are trying to sell claiming the 81K Westin Flex is equivalent to a 1Bd WKORV?
This is true, but you are not buying a deeded VOI in buying Flex.

Careful - do your research - even with resale.

btw - $30K will get you OF (176.7K StarOptions) on resale market.

We bought WKORV OF (resale) from Syed in 2006.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I wouldn’t buy anything right now given the difficulty of reserving due to the online site major IT issues. It’s one thing to buy a nice resale week, but if you can’t actually reserve it, it becomes a waste of money.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wouldn’t buy anything right now given the difficulty of reserving due to the online site major IT issues. It’s one thing to buy a nice resale week, but if you can’t actually reserve it, it becomes a waste of money.
I suspect the current online issues are temporary. At least I hope so. Given how long it takes Vistana to actually transfer a deed once they are notified of a new owner (up to three months right now), the website issues could long be fixed.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I suspect the current online issues are temporary. At least I hope so. Given how long it takes Vistana to actually transfer a deed once they are notified of a new owner (up to three months right now), the website issues could long be fixed.
It's refreshing to see that there are still some optimists in this world! :giggle: