• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upscale at Hilton?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Helpful, I like that about the hilton system too. We are new though so not experienced. Can you or someone explain to me what people refer to as "old point system" vs "new point system" for Hilton Hawaii? Does this specifically refer to like Grand Waikikian and such?

Also what are your favorite Hilton stays on the big island? Kings Landing?

I would stay away from Kings Landing, they have an evil Queen and may soon be involved in a war...

As for the Big Island, we really like Kings Land. The pools are amazing and it has most "resort" feel of any of the dedicated timeshare locations.. In particular we like phase 1, with the larger higher point units. I know others really like Bay Club for its large units and lanai's, but my wife does not care much for the ambiance at Bay Club. In the end the "best location" is dependent on how you spend your vacation, and whats important. We do enjoys lots of activities and beaches, but also like to hang out at the pool and pool bar. So for us Kings Land checks all the boxes.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Helpful, I like that about the hilton system too. We are new though so not experienced. Can you or someone explain to me what people refer to as "old point system" vs "new point system" for Hilton Hawaii? Does this specifically refer to like Grand Waikikian and such?

Also what are your favorite Hilton stays on the big island? Kings Landing?

I think it's called inflation - sort of. . . :D

As resort areas get more and more built up, the cost of building new timeshares goes up. Hilton reflects this in the point cost of their new, more expensive properties. When the first part of Kingsland was built, it was much fancier than Kohala Suites or Bay Club. To keep it from being pointed into existing owners, it was given a point value slightly higher than double the "standard point value". That did not sell so well, so the next phase of Kingsland had smaller rooms, but were back to the standard point values. The most recent phase, phase 3 is a mix of both sizes and point values.

The new system "top" resorts are now being built, and being pointed at double the phase 1 Kingsland values. 28,800 for top 2 BDR weeks. (They also cost two arms, a leg, and a gonad - one of those 28,800 weeks cost around $130,000! Gulp!!!) These are Hilton Waikoloa hotel conversions and the new Crane's in Barbados. Nobody knows what the long term MFs will be, the current MFs (as usual) are subsidised. . .

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

4Sunsets

Reaction score
28000 points? WOW!! Is it even worth it to get 7200 points in Hilton? We thought that would be a week in most HGVC for 2 bedrooms, including Hawaii. Really we were wanting to get a few more options than our Marriott.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it even worth it to get 7200 points in Hilton?

Absolutely! 7200 is a starting point. While there is no '60 day discount' like with Marriott, some locations with HGVC are so much cheaper. Example: we love to stay at South Beach. The MVC and HGVC are about 3 buildings apart - same quality. About $3500 for a 2 br from MVC, about $900 for a 2 br with HGVC.

With HGVC it's all about getting a low MF ownership!

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
28000 points? WOW!! Is it even worth it to get 7200 points in Hilton? We thought that would be a week in most HGVC for 2 bedrooms, including Hawaii. Really we were wanting to get a few more options than our Marriott.

There are only 3 28.8K resort in the HGVC right now. All under construction, or just completed. (Maui, Barbados, and the Hilton hotel conversion in Waikoloa.) I don't track bHC costs. . .

It takes 7450 points for top high season at MOC on Maui. At a rack rate of $14 a point, that would be $104,000 buy-in and at .58 cents a point a MF of $4321 a year ($617 a night). (I use points because Marriott only sells point now, and these are NEW timeshares for HGVC (MOC is 20 years old, or so)).

That puts the new Hiltons not too far out of line with top end Marriotts. (Note: Ski seasons at the Ritz Calrtons will run you 10,000+ points.) Otoh, lots of places at 7,000 points. Just not the latest and greatest.

Whatever floats your boat. . .

taffy19

Reaction score
My wife was able to sweet-talk her way to a great room in Lagoon a few weeks ago, 2363. Nice view of Diamond Head, great view of the fireworks, etc. But, not a sunset view. The sun sets on the other side of the building. So, for sunset, I think you'd want a harbor view/harbor side of the building in Lagoon Tower, at least in April. I find the sunsets in Maui hard to match.
That may change during the year. We own a fixed week/unit timeshare in Maui in Kihei that never sees the sunset when we are there in April. We went twice during a different time of the year and we could see the sunset from the same condo unit and there was no shade on our Lanai either so we couldn't sit outside until the sun had moved around. I have learned to call the front desk now to find out if it is a shady unit or not if we change our week again.

I saw a post here on TUG where someone had lines on a Google map and could figure it out. I tried to find it and here it is. :D

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/which-hgvc-waikoloa-1br.287715/#post-2262755

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Hawaii has the longest high demand platinum season, so it helps to have more points or you might have to stay less than 7 days. Sun-Thursday stays are half the point costs at all HGVC locations. Hawaii gold season is less points in April-May or Sept-Oct but that may not be practical with kids and school holidays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Thank you!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
And this is not going the "cheapskate" MF route. The cheapskate route would be to buy HGVC in Vegas and point into Hawaii. That would lower the MF to around $1200-$1300, but no guarantee of getting a room in Hawaii.

Bay Club is usually an easy swap early on, but no guarantees. I pay more for guarantees and for getting exactly what I want.

We took this cheapskate route and have gotten our Hawai'i Island trips at any time we've wanted. I do get the idea of paying for the guarantee, but I find that Hawai'i is about as guaranteed as it gets at 9 months. And this includes a prior Thanksgiving and upcoming (in a few weeks) Memorial day trip.

Oahu may be a different story, but we're not interested in going there.

Cheers.

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you think Marriott’s are impeccably maintained, I invite you to visit their ski resorts next season. The ‘80’s called. They want their timeshares back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Speaking of out dated, I think the Marriott Streamside in Vail was used as the set for the film "Hot Tub Time Machine". :doh:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
With HGVC you can save one year to the next and borrow from the next year. That gives you an option to be flexible and splurge every few years. Save and Borrow is an option.

Since Midweek stays (M to Thurs) are half the points of Week end stays, try to eliminate 1 weekend day from your stay and that will save you 20% of a weekly rate. It is like of loaded to weekends. Staying 3 nights (Fri, Sat and Sun) will cost you 60% of a FULL week point requirement.

In most locations there is a standard point offering. At some new locations there is just higher point offerings, but if you want it, you can be creative.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Have we ever seen a point chart for Maui? I may have missed it, and am curious (and am expecting the high points that Ocean Tower/Grand Islander/Barbados are commanding). May even set new highs.... Thanks!

Best,

Greg

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
There are only 3 28.8K resort in the HGVC right now. All under construction, or just completed. (Maui, Barbados, and the Hilton hotel conversion in Waikoloa.) I don't track bHC costs. . .

It takes 7450 points for top high season at MOC on Maui. At a rack rate of $14 a point, that would be $104,000 buy-in and at .58 cents a point a MF of $4321 a year ($617 a night). (I use points because Marriott only sells point now, and these are NEW timeshares for HGVC (MOC is 20 years old, or so)).

That puts the new Hiltons not too far out of line with top end Marriotts. (Note: Ski seasons at the Ritz Calrtons will run you 10,000+ points.) Otoh, lots of places at 7,000 points. Just not the latest and greatest.

Whatever floats your boat. . .

Where are the points for Maui listed? I haven't seen anything yet (not saying you are wrong, I just haven't seen them yet).

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
All,

Have we ever seen a point chart for Maui? I may have missed it, and am curious (and am expecting the high points that Ocean Tower/Grand Islander/Barbados are commanding). May even set new highs.... Thanks!

Best,

Greg

Do they publish the point charts before they begin sales? I have not really tracked how early they release these in the past.

HGV management just reconfirmed they plan to start sales for Maui and the new Waikiki locations in 2020. I would expect they would wait until closer to the sales release in case they need to adjust for some reason..

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Where are the points for Maui listed? I haven't seen anything yet (not saying you are wrong, I just haven't seen them yet).
I just checked through the HGVC website for Maui and there is not a points chart that I could see.