• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Update Meeting incentive Ripoff

VIPMYASS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham
After the whole Covid year debacle I was happy to be able to burn up all my excess points that had accumulated from the previous year. I booked at Club Wyndham Smoky Mountains, Sieverville, Tn in October. I have finally started getting good to going to the "Update Meeting" invitation but I was offered 7 days 7 nights in one of their resorts instead of taking the gift card. I had gotten them up to $250 on my last vacation but couldn't get this location to come off of $150. After the meeting I am informed it is for a RCI location, and I wasn't happy. We all know about the availability of RCI so I knew this was not going to go well.
I was directed to an Resortscert.com. First thing I noticed is that if you follow they instructions you will give away your certification irrevocably. So narrowly dodging that pitfall I began to research the "free" resorts that I would book. I then cross reference this with current review on trip advisor. I was appalled. The reviews on these locations were damning, blarring 1 star rating with complaints from noise, to bugs, smells and cops coming in to make arrest on the properties. Of course I could upgrade to a better resort or hotel for an additional fee for any where from $350 to $1000. Then I check Branson Mo, a Wyndham resort location was available, if I wanted to go in January to March of this year, soon as it got to April the upgrade fee went up to $450. It was the same for Orlando.
I called Wyndham Corporate to complain and I was told that I received exactly what I was promised. I told them I can tell you your getting a new car, take you around back and show you a rusted car with no tires and doesn't run, as long as it hasn't had a previous owner it's still consider new too. So of course my case has been elevated at the resolutions desk, they they read to me from the same play book. So I asked for it to be elevated again. Now I have to wait 3-5 days to be told the same thing. I am tired of Wyndham taking my money while they lie cheat and steal from me. I am tired of having no consumer protection and no rights while they make billions. with dishonest business practices. They tell you your an owner, well if I owned it, then I have the right to sell it. Good luck on that. I think it's time this issue gets elevated. Everyone need to write to their congressman and plead with them for consumer protection regulation and government oversight. Complain to the FTC. We as a group of consumers need to start jumping up and down and making noise or other friends and family will fall victim to these crooks. I'm piss and am not going to take it anymore.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Timeshares are generally a state issue. Best to complain to the state attorney general for the location where you went to the "Update meeting".

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
You seem to have realized all along that the best strategy is to talk them up to their highest cash offer. The second part of that strategy is to walk away if they never come up to a level you find acceptable. Unfortunately, instead you ended up taking a non-cash offer for something you didn't pursue the terms of until after the fact. Walking away as an option was always right there. If you have the energy to continue elevating this within Wyndham, go for it. For me, I'd probably not spend much time trying to get recompense for the crappy free gift I received for the meeting I didn't have to go to, and just chalk it up to a learning experience.

You are an owner. In terms of selling, if you don't owe on a loan to Wyndham you have the right to sell your contract(s) at any time. Nobody's stopping you.

troy12n

Reaction score
You paid $15 to join this website just to make that rant about something you knew would happen? Of course they aren't going to give you a week's stay in a Wyndham resort for attending an update. They give you an RCI certificate or, likely in this case, worse, which as you know has about zero value. Should have taken the cash. Or just not gone. That's what I do.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Sheesh! Here we go again. Wyndham didn’t force you to buy anything. Wyndham didn’t force you to go to an update. Wyndham isn’t preventing you from selling your timeshare contract. You were in control every step of the way. You made the decision every time. Now, you’re pissed?

I got very upset in an update a year or two into our ownership. You know what I did? I made a decision to never go to another one. It isn’t worth the $100, $250 or free nights or whatever I might think that I want. It’s been about 6-7 years now. At first, I just said no. Then, I wrote and asked to be placed on the do not sell list. Wyndham obliged. I haven’t even been asked about an update in about 3 years. It’s great. I schedule my trips. I check in, get parking pass and wristbands with no hassle whatsoever. I enjoy very nice accommodations. I spend all of my time doing what I want to do and that doesn’t include listening to an update or sales pitch or whatever term they come up with. I get to enjoy whatever I want to do. I love Wyndham!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my years on the planet, I have never attended a timeshare sales presentation. I hope to keep that streak up for many years into the future, if the Good Lord's willing and the creek doesn't rise. I am sympathetic to the people who get roped into one without knowing any better. I'm less sympathetic when someone has been on several before and still gets burned.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You paid $15 to join this website just to make that rant about something you knew would happen? Of course they aren't going to give you a week's stay in a Wyndham resort for attending an update. They give you an RCI certificate or, likely in this case, worse, which as you know has about zero value. Should have taken the cash. Or just not gone. That's what I do.
Well, they didn't necessarily pay the $15. It is free to join the BBS. They don't show as "TUG Member".

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I got one of these certificates for attending a presentation in Clearwater. I also had a hard time using it, but it is because I waited too long. A lot of the good stuff was still available during COVID but I waited until everyone started to travel again in order to use it. That made it hard to find a place and finally settled on a studio at Kingstown Reef. That actually was a Wyndham property at the time. So I did get a week at a Wyndham resort.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We had a similar offer at Bonnet Creek a few years ago. When I asked what resorts were available for the 7-night stay, the lady waved her hand across the thick RCI directory. I knew the availability would likely be as you described, but I was curious, so I kept saying No until I got both the 7-night "vacation" and the $200 gift card. We never used the 7-night certificate because as I expected and you found, anything worthwhile came with a "upgrade fee" that was higher than paying cash.

Fortunately, our sales session was pretty pleasant. We told them at the start that we were in process of giving back our Shell ownership via Certified Exit, and they must have confirmed that because our salesman was an older gentleman with whom we had a lovely conversation about everything other than timeshares. At the end, he pulled out the offer sheet as he was required to do, and showed the minimum buyin as $52,000. We both laughed and told him that was way out of our budget, and he took us to get our gift.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
After the whole Covid year debacle I was happy to be able to burn up all my excess points that had accumulated from the previous year. I booked at Club Wyndham Smoky Mountains, Sieverville, Tn in October. I have finally started getting good to going to the "Update Meeting" invitation but I was offered 7 days 7 nights in one of their resorts instead of taking the gift card. I had gotten them up to $250 on my last vacation but couldn't get this location to come off of $150. After the meeting I am informed it is for a RCI location, and I wasn't happy. We all know about the availability of RCI so I knew this was not going to go well.
I was directed to an Resortscert.com. First thing I noticed is that if you follow they instructions you will give away your certification irrevocably. So narrowly dodging that pitfall I began to research the "free" resorts that I would book. I then cross reference this with current review on trip advisor. I was appalled. The reviews on these locations were damning, blarring 1 star rating with complaints from noise, to bugs, smells and cops coming in to make arrest on the properties. Of course I could upgrade to a better resort or hotel for an additional fee for any where from $350 to $1000. Then I check Branson Mo, a Wyndham resort location was available, if I wanted to go in January to March of this year, soon as it got to April the upgrade fee went up to $450. It was the same for Orlando.
I called Wyndham Corporate to complain and I was told that I received exactly what I was promised. I told them I can tell you your getting a new car, take you around back and show you a rusted car with no tires and doesn't run, as long as it hasn't had a previous owner it's still consider new too. So of course my case has been elevated at the resolutions desk, they they read to me from the same play book. So I asked for it to be elevated again. Now I have to wait 3-5 days to be told the same thing. I am tired of Wyndham taking my money while they lie cheat and steal from me. I am tired of having no consumer protection and no rights while they make billions. with dishonest business practices. They tell you your an owner, well if I owned it, then I have the right to sell it. Good luck on that. I think it's time this issue gets elevated. Everyone need to write to their congressman and plead with them for consumer protection regulation and government oversight. Complain to the FTC. We as a group of consumers need to start jumping up and down and making noise or other friends and family will fall victim to these crooks. I'm piss and am not going to take it anymore.
We fell for this on our first stay. So never again.
We have only gone to a couple of updates since, but all for cash. More recently, they offer "points", but they are Wyndham rewards points not Club Wyndham points.
Often, we are not staying for the whole week, so it's not worth our time to have to sit through a presentation.

Laika_1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Kingsgate
Is RCI booking really that bad? is it not worth my time to bank my points at the end of the year or is it solely the certificate that sucks?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
One millionth time this worked for timeshare salespeople. Throw it away and forget about it. Lesson learned.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Is RCI booking really that bad? is it not worth my time to bank my points at the end of the year or is it solely the certificate that sucks?
It’s just the certificate. I was curious because I thought it might offer Last Call resorts, but it was worse than that. You can’t book until 90 days out (maybe 60, I can’t remember), and nothing is available for free, only for unreasonably high “upgrade” fees.

RCI exchanges, even the Last Call, are much better. So it is worth it to bank your points and extend their life instead of losing them.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
One millionth time this worked for timeshare salespeople. Throw it away and forget about it. Lesson learned.
I received one of these certificates a few years ago at WorldMark Stablewood Springs. I used it for a week at Goldenwoods Resort during ski season. It is a medium sized, independent resort on the Grand Mesa east of Grand Junction, CO. Maybe the week was a late deposit by an owner. It was an "80's" resort, but everything worked fine, and I had a great view looking NNE over the Colorado River valley. There were no additional charges, not even occupancy tax.

The lift ticket window for the Powderhorn ski resort was about 100 steps in ski boots from my front door and I could ski downhill to the door at the end of the day. Lucky me, two major snowstorms moved through during the week for some powder skiing. The second storm dumped 10 inches of snow. There was an accident that closed the feeder road from Grand Junction for a few hours in the morning. It was like having my own, private ski resort setting new tracks run after run.

I am sure something like this is not the norm for these certificates, but perseverance searching and some luck resulted in one of my favorite ski weeks.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We as a group of consumers need to start jumping up and down and making noise or other friends and family will fall victim to these crooks.
Alternatively, just stay away from these "parasite presentations" and "trinket teasers" in the first place. No jumping up and down or making noise required.

Maybe take into account the value of lost time which can never be retrieved (include time lost in post-mortem complaining about predictably unsatisfactory results).

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those certificates are not worth the paper they are printed on! Live and learn- its not like you paid anything for it other than your time!! Next time only take CASH!

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Those certificates are not worth the paper they are printed on! Live and learn- its not like you paid anything for it other than your time!! Next time only take CASH!
Or, as someone once famously said,” JUST SAY NO!”

VIPMYASS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham
Yes, I am aware they are vultures, but I play the game with them if you're willing to hand me money to sit for 90 minutes sure. Yes I am aware they play games like if you eat at there restaurant in Clearwater, Fl and hand them the gift card. you do not get change back. Finally in this last presentation, their rep tells me that every time you go to a presentation, they take the gift amount and add it to the cost of your "future" points purchase. That's when I knew I would never go to another one. I just think Wyndham needs to be squeezed at the balls, like they do to their customers. I would like to see them receiving congressional inquires on their practices and being served for class action lawsuits. At some point they would have to change their behavior. I am really surprised by the attitudes here. It's like everyone has just laid down and doesn't care

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
For using RCI, setup ongoing searches to get the best results. You do not have to have points deposited to set up purchases.
There are threads in the Exchange forum for advice.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
if you eat at there restaurant in Clearwater, Fl and hand them the gift card. you do not get change back.
what? I assume that is printed on the gift card?
so is it not a VISA/AMEX gift card?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I am aware they are vultures, but I play the game with them if you're willing to hand me money to sit for 90 minutes sure. Yes I am aware they play games like if you eat at there restaurant in Clearwater, Fl and hand them the gift card. you do not get change back. Finally in this last presentation, their rep tells me that every time you go to a presentation, they take the gift amount and add it to the cost of your "future" points purchase. That's when I knew I would never go to another one. I just think Wyndham needs to be squeezed at the balls, like they do to their customers. I would like to see them receiving congressional inquires on their practices and being served for class action lawsuits. At some point they would have to change their behavior. I am really surprised by the attitudes here. It's like everyone has just laid down and doesn't care
Saying no and getting put on the do not sell list isn’t laying down and not caring. It is taking responsibility for my own actions. Continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result is, oh, what is the word?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

The issues you are outlining really have to do with the timeshare industry as a whole - not just Wyndham in other words. There's been many a class action lawsuit against Wyndham - and many other timeshare companies - most either die on the vine because they are never certified by the courts due to a lack of actual hard evidence - or are settled without much ado and then nothing changes - except the lawyers get rich in the process (we have several forum members here who are lawyers who may chime in with their learned opinions when it comes to these types of class action lawsuits).

Do any of us particularly enjoy the used car sales tactics utilized in the timeshare industry? Nope - not even close. That's why we wholeheartedly recommend that any/all timeshare owners specifically avoid attending timeshare updates. If no one attends the sales updates - then retail timeshare sales would die out in their current form (wishful thinking admittedly). That's why we educate people not to attend the updates.

Getting sufficient attention at the federal level is likely not going to happen. Timeshare ownership is not something that most people care much about really. I take your point that it's an industry ripe for regulatory reform - no disagreement here - but the reality is the average consumer will typically have better luck lobbying their local county or state representatives and/or contacting their SAGs office, as opposed to lobbying your federal representatives - but that said - feel free to write your federal representatives about this if you so desire - there's nothing stopping anyone from doing so.

Regarding the gifting issue - never take the RCI certificates - they really aren't worth it IMHO. I received like six of those certificates when we initially bought into Wyndham in July 2018 - we used one of them - the others expired before we could use them and as you said - the list of resorts and available date ranges are limited (you get what you pay for so to speak). We only take either local incentives around the resort (theme park tickets, free parking, etc.), cash gift cards (typically AMEX with Wyndham), WR points, or a combination thereof.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am really surprised by the attitudes here. It's like everyone has just laid down and doesn't care
Here's what I see in your posts.

You were happy to "play the game" with them, and say you were "getting good at it"...right up to the point where you finally got burned, and then and only then did you come to TUG, register, and as your first post explain with righteous indignation that these guys are sharks. We all understand that the timeshare marketing model is deeply flawed (to put it generously). But, again as I wrote above: I don't have much sympathy for someone who has been around the block a few times, because it shouldn't be a surprise at that point.

This is a useful object lesson for the rest of us, though: timeshare sales agents do this every day, all day. They either hone their skills, or they leave. Quickly. So, the person sitting across from them is at an experiential disadvantage, and that's true no matter how many tours the prospect has done. The prospect is, by definition, an amateur. The sales agent is a pro. Expecting to always "win" that exchange? As Marcellus Wallace put it to Butch in Pulp Fiction: "That's pride ******* with you."

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Here's what I see in your posts.

You were happy to "play the game" with them, and say you were "getting good at it"...right up to the point where you finally got burned, and then and only then did you come to TUG, register, and as your first post explain with righteous indignation that these guys are sharks. We all understand that the timeshare marketing model is deeply flawed (to put it generously). But, again as I wrote above: I don't have much sympathy for someone who has been around the block a few times, because it shouldn't be a surprise at that point.

This is a useful object lesson for the rest of us, though: timeshare sales agents do this every day, all day. They either hone their skills, or they leave. Quickly. So, the person sitting across from them is at an experiential disadvantage, and that's true no matter how many tours the prospect has done. The prospect is, by definition, an amateur. The sales agent is a pro. Expecting to always "win" that exchange? As Marcellus Wallace put it to Butch in Pulp Fiction: "That's pride ******* with you."
My personal favorite is when DVC owners think their situation is different "because it's Disney". If I were to name a company that is the absolute best at bottling BS and selling it for rediculous amounts of money, it would be Disney hands down.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I received one of these certificates a few years ago at WorldMark Stablewood Springs. I used it for a week at Goldenwoods Resort during ski season. It is a medium sized, independent resort on the Grand Mesa east of Grand Junction, CO. Maybe the week was a late deposit by an owner. It was an "80's" resort, but everything worked fine, and I had a great view looking NNE over the Colorado River valley. There were no additional charges, not even occupancy tax.

The lift ticket window for the Powderhorn ski resort was about 100 steps in ski boots from my front door and I could ski downhill to the door at the end of the day. Lucky me, two major snowstorms moved through during the week for some powder skiing. The second storm dumped 10 inches of snow. There was an accident that closed the feeder road from Grand Junction for a few hours in the morning. It was like having my own, private ski resort setting new tracks run after run.

I am sure something like this is not the norm for these certificates, but perseverance searching and some luck resulted in one of my favorite ski weeks.
Agree, but I would always take a cash offer instead.