• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This thread is for factual updates on Hawaii Travel News - O.N.L.Y.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui County is moving forward with the pre-travel COVID testing program, without the second test, so far:

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Big Island will have a 2 test program:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A bit more detail on why Gov. Ige is approving the Mayor Kim's request for a 2nd test on the Big Island after he denied Mayor Kawakami's request as well as the latest info on Maui and Kauai.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Hawaii Island Roll out:

At KOA airport, as part of the ongoing construction there of a centralized TSA screening area and new baggage claim area, there's a lot of of vacant space not yet being utilized. So while the original plan was to do secondary testing at the old car rental desks, the new screening will occur in that vacant new space air-side. At ITO airport, this will occur within the lower "waiting room" area of the airport. Private jet aircraft arrivals will follow a different process. Because of this, you won't need to wander around airport property for the secondary test.

Attachments

• Flow Chart.pdf
    112 KB · Views: 24

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
This is not encouraging news. People waited hours in line at the Maui and Big Island airports to get screened. And at Honolulu, they left passengers on the plane to prevent congestion in lines to be screened. All of those people queued up in line looks like risk even with masks on. The article comments that too many flights are arriving too close together in time.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Note: Hawaii has changed one of its requirements for testing - the test must now be done at a "Trusted Testing & Travel Partner". This is a change from what had been reported previously. (Anyone following this thread will not be surprised ;) )

Link to Hawaii Dept of Health: https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/
Link to resources - Alaska Airlines: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/next-level-care/covid-testing
Link to resources - Hawaiian Airlines: https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/coronavirus
Link to resources - American Airlines: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/covid-19-testing.jsp
Link to resources - Delta Airlines: https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-...eed-to-know/coronavirus-regional-restrictions
Link to resources - United Airlines: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
This article is a concern: "Backlog in the state’s manual COVID-19 test verification process sends thousands of Hawaii travelers to quarantine"

"...at least 3,700 travelers to Hawaii whose test results uploaded after they arrived have received status updates on the Safe Travels Hawaii platform saying that their results had to be reviewed manually. State Office of Enterprise Technology Services Caroline Julian-Freitas said the process “can take up to three or four days.”"

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

The formal proclamation:

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score

Pre-Travel COVID-19 Test Results Must Be In Hand Prior to Departure for Hawai‘i

Governor David Ige announced today that starting next Tuesday, Nov. 24, travelers wishing to bypass the 14-day mandatory quarantine must have their COVID-19 test results – from a trusted testing partner – prior to departure for the State of Hawaiʻi.

If test results are not available before boarding the final leg of the trip, the traveler must quarantine for 14 days or the length of the stay, whichever is shorter.

“We’re taking this added safety precaution now in response to the dramatically increasing number of COVID-19 cases in the continental United States and around the world. The health of our residents and visitors is our primary concern, especially as more people travel to Hawaiʻi to celebrate the holidays,” said Gov. Ige.

The new policy applies to domestic transpacific flights and international flights departing from locations in which the State of Hawaiʻi pre-testing programs are in place.

Gov. Ige also announced that beginning in mid-December, travelers flying from Canada to Hawaiʻi may bypass the state’s mandatory 14-day quarantine if they take a COVID-19 test from labs identified by Air Canada and WestJet.

The test must be taken within 72 hours of travel to the State of Hawai‘i, and a negative test result must be received prior to departure.

Travelers without proof of a negative test result prior to boarding their flight to Hawai‘i will be required to self-quarantine for 14-days or the length of stay, whichever is shorter.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! That’s probably going to slow down travel to Hawaii. I can’t imagine very many people being willing to sink money in airline tickets, etc. only to not have their results in their hand before they depart, therefore meaning they would have to quarantine for their entire trip. I certainly wouldn’t chance it unless I had refundable airfare and lodging.

Pre-Travel COVID-19 Test Results Must Be In Hand Prior to Departure for Hawai‘i

Governor David Ige announced today that starting next Tuesday, Nov. 24, travelers wishing to bypass the 14-day mandatory quarantine must have their COVID-19 test results – from a trusted testing partner – prior to departure for the State of Hawaiʻi.

If test results are not available before boarding the final leg of the trip, the traveler must quarantine for 14 days or the length of the stay, whichever is shorter.

“We’re taking this added safety precaution now in response to the dramatically increasing number of COVID-19 cases in the continental United States and around the world. The health of our residents and visitors is our primary concern, especially as more people travel to Hawaiʻi to celebrate the holidays,” said Gov. Ige.

The new policy applies to domestic transpacific flights and international flights departing from locations in which the State of Hawaiʻi pre-testing programs are in place.

Gov. Ige also announced that beginning in mid-December, travelers flying from Canada to Hawaiʻi may bypass the state’s mandatory 14-day quarantine if they take a COVID-19 test from labs identified by Air Canada and WestJet.

The test must be taken within 72 hours of travel to the State of Hawai‘i, and a negative test result must be received prior to departure.

Travelers without proof of a negative test result prior to boarding their flight to Hawai‘i will be required to self-quarantine for 14-days or the length of stay, whichever is shorter.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Wow! That’s probably going to slow down travel to Hawaii. I can’t imagine very many people being willing to sink money in airline tickets, etc. only to not have their results in their hand before they depart, therefore meaning they would have to quarantine for their entire trip. I certainly wouldn’t chance it unless I had refundable airfare and lodging.

I definitely think this is a step backwards.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Good question - however, it is not much different than spending money on your trip, only to find out that you are positive right before you are supposed to leave. I guess in the 2nd example, at least you can quarantine at home, but the potential financial loss would be the same. Either way, it's a leap of faith.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Even before the announcement today, I would not have boarded the plane without a negative test result in hand. We purposely changed our flights to Hawaiian Airlines because they have partnered with Worksite Labs. I think if you are going to Hawaii during this time, if at all possible, I think the best bet is to go with a lab that the airline has partnered with. United has it, Alaska has it, maybe others. We just tested today so fingers crossed we'll get our result in time.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Kauai County
Mayor Kawakami requests to opt-out of Safe Travels program after dozens of known COVID-19 cases reach Kaua‘i--
LĪHU‘E — On Tuesday, Mayor Derek S.K. Kawakami forwarded to Gov. David Ige proposed Mayor’s Emergency Rule 23, which would temporarily pause Kaua‘i’s participation in the state’s Safe Travels pre-travel testing program and require incoming travelers to Kaua‘i to quarantine for the full 14 days regardless of testing.
“We are facing alarming COVID-19 numbers on our island as well as across the nation,” said Mayor Kawakami. “This is not just a tourist problem. Nearly half of our recent travel cases are Kaua‘i residents who returned home. We know that a single, pre-travel test has not stopped the virus from reaching our island and we are saddened to report our first on-island death. We must take action to prevent the further spread of disease here.”
In an attempt to avoid reverting back to a mandatory 14-day quarantine, Mayor Kawakami proposed Rule 21 last Monday, which would have required incoming Kaua‘i travelers to take a post-travel test after 72 hours on island with a shorter quarantine period. However, this second-test proposal has not received approval, further prompting the Mayor to propose Rule 23 to temporarily opt-out of the state’s Safe Travels program.
“Since the launch of the single pre-travel testing program on October 15, we have confirmed 58 new cases and our first on-island death,” said Dr. Janet Berreman, Kaua‘i District Health Officer. “Forty-eight of those cases were travelers—27 visitors and 21 residents. Most of them had a negative pre-travel test, but still came down with COVID here on Kaua‘i. The other 10 cases, in residents who did not travel, are an even greater cause for alarm. Four of these are residents who were in close contact with travelers. The other six are residents for whom we cannot identify any link to a traveler—these are cases of community transmission. We have not seen sustained community transmission in our county since July, so these cases are very concerning. It is clear that the Safe Travels program is not adequately protecting Kaua‘i from an alarming rise in cases.”
Mayor Kawakami added that a temporary opt-out of the Safe Travels program would allow the island to remain in Tier 4 – the least restrictive tier – for as long as possible.
“Opting out of the Safe Travels program would be independent of our tier system, which means we could stay in Tier 4 for a longer period of time,” said Mayor Kawakami. “It makes no logical sense for us to move tiers while still allowing more travelers. We shouldn’t penalize our local people by restricting activities, such as youth sports, when that’s not the current source of infection.”
“I don’t propose to know how to best manage the other counties or the state as a whole. But our small, rural community here on Kaua‘i needs to take pause from an influx of travelers, and once again gain control of this virus as we had for so many months before. I will gladly repeal the rule once we achieve this goal,” added Mayor Kawakami.
If approved, Rule 23 would take effect on December 1, 2020, at which point all incoming travelers, including residents and visitors from the mainland and neighboring counties would be subject to a 14-day mandatory quarantine, regardless of testing.
The county’s modified quarantine program would remain in place for critical infrastructure workers, essential medical travel, or other special circumstances. To apply for a modified quarantine, please visit www.kauai.gov/COVID-19 and click on the “modified quarantine request” button at the top of the page.
To view the Kaua‘i COVID-19 tier tracker, post-travel testing information, and general information, visit kauai.gov/COVID-19. For more State of Hawai‘i case tracker and information on the Safe Travels program, visit hawaiicovid19.com.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The request from the mayor of Kauai to suspend the county's participation in Hawaii's Safe Travels program was approved. Beginning December 2, 2020, all travelers to Kauai, both trans-Pacific and inter-county, are required to quarantine for 14 days regardless of their COVID-19 test results.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The request from the mayor of Kauai to suspend the county's participation in Hawaii's Safe Travels program was approved. Beginning December 2, 2020, all travelers to Kauai, both trans-Pacific and inter-county, are required to quarantine for 14 days regardless of their COVID-19 test results.

If PCR testing isn’t sufficient evidence that one doesn’t have COVID, I wonder if vaccination will be viewed as sufficient proof one cannot have or get COVID?

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
If PCR testing isn’t sufficient evidence that one doesn’t have COVID, I wonder if vaccination will be viewed as sufficient proof one cannot have or get COVID?

(this isn’t factual, so will probably be moved, but...) There will never be sufficient proof that one cannot have or get COVID. If the clinical trials hold in real life application, then 90-95% of those who get the vaccine won’t become ill with COVID, but nobody knows if you’re in the 5-10% group that will.